Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    My opinion still holds .... overstyled and oversized. :(

Pontiac used to build cars like that, with creases, fins, ribs, body cladding, extra line here and there, and everywhere. I think they called it "surface excitement", to which Car & Driver quipped, "If they build houses that exciting, it would depress property values for blocks".

Don't confuse different with better.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,723
    "Pontiac: We glue on excitement!"

I still have to see the new TL up close and personal, but someone posted a link to a bunch of pix. You know, from some angles it looked pretty good... Not the beak of Acura, however, but in profile not bad.

I think the new TSX looks a lot better in person than in pix, I'm hoping TL too. We shall see when we actually see!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Pontiac and Acura are worlds apart.
    Have you seen the car in person?
    I also haven't seen Charlize Theron in person, but I can bet my (and your) bottom dollar that I ain't going to kick her out of bed for eating crackers. ;)

I don't see how the car in person would be smaller (numbers don't lie), or less over-styled. It may look somewhat more attractive in person, but it won't eliminate my 2 main concerns.
  • jbhansenjbhansen Member Posts: 20
    To get the real-time weather on the NAVI screen, is that part of the base XM subscription, part of the XM-TRAFFIC subscription, or yet another subscription cost on top of these two??

XM NavWeather Pricing
  • laurelmdlaurelmd Member Posts: 11
    I was at Tischer Acura today for an oil change, and they had received 2 2009 TLs. One had sold yesterday, and the other was on display next to a 2008 TL. I have to agree, the 2009 looked very modern, and the 2008 very dated.

Tischer has tons of 2008 TLs in stock, I'll bet they can be had for $7K off MSRP at least.
    Just get off your butt and go down to local dealer-then you will see my point.
    Also numbers do lie-because several times I have seen stats on interior dimensions of a car and when you actually sit in the car its a different story.
  • gvbgvb Member Posts: 45
    I'm certain it performs like a dream, but looks too much like a Nissan Altima to me. At least from a side view it certainly has that look. Too bad...
    FYI, the car is not available at Canadian dealers yet, at least not here, locally. Numbers do not lie. I can look at the exterior dimensions and know whether the car is too big for me or not. At almost 195" in length and about 75" in width, it is almost SUV dimensions. I do not want or need a sedan that big. It would be a pain to drive and park in the city. For whatever reason, our town seems to want to monopolize tight parking spaces. Even in my own garage, I don't want to have to squeeze my way around the car. Hell, if I wanted a big sedan, I would have put the BMW 5-series on my list.

If the car had killer looks, maybe, just maybe it would sway me to overlook the size. But the TL does not have killer looks. Modern, futuristic, key-edge, keen-edge, yada, yada, whatever term you want to use. It may look different, but it ain't no classic styling job. If anything, it looks bigger than the numbers suggest. It has a heavy, bulbous look to it. Much like the wayward Maxima. Badge snobbery aside, the Hyundai Genesis, a sedan similar in size to the TL, blows it away in terms of styling.
  • djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    In pictures I also think it looks a bit like the last Maxima. This week I saw two new Maximas and they look better in person than in pictures.

I thought the new TSX was so-so under the dealer gave me one as a loaner. In person IMO it looks really good, nice interior and a nice ride.

I also want to see the TL in person. Surprisingly, the dealer sent me a mailer today announcing the arrival of the car and offer top trade-in on my current car. I was surprised. Maybe Acura doesn't expect the new style to sell itself.
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    When is the new TLS coming out? Hope it has more HP! Like 350 minimum! 286 HP currently just doesn't cut it! Car is fast though. The new TL is edgy looking. I love the new look! Way to go ACURA despite all the front grill bashers out there. (Sort of does look like a beak!) Believe it or not even my current TLS people mistake it for a Saturn! :mad: I added the ASPEC body kit so it looked different. Looks much better now!! I hope the build quality improves! My TLS has been in the shop alot for mirrors, window, rattles, squeaks etc..... not real happy :sick:
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yuck! Altima and Acura should never be in the same sentence..lol
  • snagssnags Member Posts: 27
    Went to see the TL yesterday mhoping seeing it in person would give a better impression but was disappointed .

It looked like the back and front didnt belong together.

You sit low in the car even at the highest seat setting and there is no power steering wheel adjustment or cooled seats on a 40k car

With the Maxima being cheaper ,much more attractive and with both of the items missing on TL I think the Max is a better deal given they both might first year problems.
  • richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    Went to the acura dealer to see for myself. To preface, I have a 2008 Mercedes E63 so I can speak from a detached view. The lease is for another 2 years and with the traffic in Atlanta and gas rationing I might consider a more efficient car. And while it would be more in the order of a BMW 335d I was interested in the Maxima and the TL since they are direct competitors and both new and different. At first, in photos, the Maxima is better looking. But the effect is wearing off on me primarily due to the square grill in the front which the shape of which doesnt go with the rest of the car which is all curves. It,however, looks good in any color since the chrome is minimal. The TL in person is impressive, chunky, but it all goes together. Black is a bad color for it, due to all the chrome pieces which contrast the rest and appears chopped up. Silver is the color for this beast which blends all the chrome with the body and is cohesive. The TL will grow on you. The Maxima might tire. I read preliminary reviews and the only bad thing I saw about the TL is the "electric" steering which by some accounts is numb with no feedback and too light. Has anyone out there given it a thorough comparative drive?
  • roccoman7roccoman7 Member Posts: 4
    I have an 03 TL Type S with 99,500 miles on it and I am seriously in the market for a new car at this point. I conveyed that to the dealer yesterday and he gladly let me test drive the 09. My friend has an 07 TL so I'm familiar with the previous generation. The nav package is absolutely amazing! The speed of selecting menu items was ridiculous and it was very easy to use in comparison with the older models. The voice features slows it down a little and I'm a little dissapointed about not having touch screen, but the speed of using the knob makes up for it. The new weather feature is pretty cool...it even gave future forecasts. I do agree about it feeling very low to the ground, with even adjusting the seats. I guess they are going after more of a sporty feel. I've test driven a G37 coupe and the seat had a similar feeling to it. In terms of the drive, the car has some balls! I had it up to about 6500 rpm's and it felt fast. I was reading that a lot of the reviewers felt the car was too quiet from the inside, but I think you can definitely hear the engine roar when you drop the gears and begin to fly. The steering was a little ridiculous in that I went to turn into the dealership I felt as if I did nothing to turn the car and it did it automatically. A little strange feeling, but I think I can get used to it. In terms of looks, I think the back of the car looks amazing in person! They only had the car in black and blue (by the way the blue in person looks NOTHING like it does on the website) It is the same blue that was on the standard non type s previous generation TL's. I think the grill is better in person and will grow on you, but the darker colors emphasize it a little too much as in the pictures we have seen.I am eager to see the car in a silver. One last thing is that the backup camera has these lines to guide you into a spot...same as the infiniti G has. So bottom line is that I am going to wait until the AWD arrives...I don't think it is necessary in snow because the FWD makes that no problem at all. I just really want to see how the car looks with the 18's and different exhaust. After that I will most likely get the standard FWD with tech.
    I wouldn't want to downgrade to a maxima, considering its review it got. pretty much average. The TSX, TL are much more of a car.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "I just really want to see how the car looks with the 18's and different exhaust."

What's the different exhaust?

Also, how does the driving experience of the '09 differ from your friend's '07?
    quad pipes on the AWD.
    Blows it away in a wannabe Mercedes S550.
    Dont even mention the TL in the same breathe as a Hyundai-Honda engineers and "that" company are in totally different leagues.I have never seen Hyundai introduced a car that is original in style, they are always knocking off designs from others.
    Please let us not get into a Hyundai/Acura debate because if they were giving the Genesis away I wouldnt want one.
  • jaredmjaredm Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone taken notice that the new TL exterior looks like the evil spawn of a Saturn Aura? Dont get me wrong the Aura is not a bad looking sedan considering its a domestic. But I really do hope the TL does not follow that path, because nothing about the Aura screams performance. I am looking forward to seeing the new TL at my dealership during the next service of my 02 TL. Camera's can be very deceiving on the the angles of a car and I'm hoping that this is the case for the TL.

While talking about these cars, I must admit the new trademark Acura grille is starting to grow on me. I mean it makes sense for Acura to finally get their own unique grille. If you think about it most luxury cars have them. For instance, look at Mercedes, BMW, Audi, even most recently Infiniti. Once again I hat to mention Saturn of all brands, but my brother (who is not really even a car enthusiast) pointed out to me how similar the new Acura grilles look to current Saturn grilles. I immediately denied the observation, but looking closer there are striking similarities. The main thing that sets the Acura's apart is that it gives a floating appearance.

To wrap this post up, I have had the pleasure of driving a fully loaded Acura RDX for over a week while my TL was in the shop. I was very impressed by the new technology layout versus previous generation Acura's but I still missed the interaction one got with having the touch screen. Sometimes it got annoying having to use the dial/joystick for simple functions. But unlike BMW's ridiculous i-drive system, Acura still littered the dash with the most used HVAC controls. But the only thing that felt ergonomically wrong is that the big dial/joystick was not the volume knob for the 10 speaker stereo. That was given a tiny knob at the very bottom of the control panel just above the start of the center console. One can also find this same thing done on new Honda models with technology package. And the large dial/joystick looks at certain angles aesthetically odd. I think if Acura is going to keep this unique dial they should locate it where all the other makers put it, on the center console so it is always within reach.
    "Please let us not get into a Hyundai/Acura debate because if they were giving the Genesis away I wouldnt want one."

You obviously have not been paying any attention to what the Koreans have been doing lately. I predict in another 5 years, Hyundai will surpass Honda in quality, value, styling and performance. Did you hear that? I said SURPASS ... meaning it'll be better. How does that grab you? I hope you didn't spill your coffee, or choke on your Big Mac. :P By the way, did I say surpass?!! Time to update your mindset to the 21st Century.
    "...it makes sense for Acura to finally get their own unique grille. If you think about it most luxury cars have them.'

Absolutely. I don't think anyone will disagree. The question is did they have to make it ugly! And what was wrong with the previous grill? It was also uniquely identifiable as Acura's.
    Have you ever watched the reality show America Idol, where you have these delusional contestant that thinks they are the next Whitney Houston and they totally suck.That's how I considered your comment about the Korean surpassing the Honda engineers-totally absurd.
    Billy, don't be a hero, don't be a fool with your life....... ;) How's my singing? Good enough to go on the Idol? :P

(BTW, I don't watch crap shows like American Idol, because as you said most of those idiots are delusional. I can't stand reality shows in general)

But I would suggest you broaden your automotive horizon a bit. You know, it wasn't that long ago that the American Big Three didn't think the Japanese were much of a threat.
  • ocimocim Member Posts: 45
    Has anybody test driven both cars back to back? If so what are your impressions? A friend purchased a new 2008 RL with the Nav system for 41.5K. Assuming one could get a similar deal on a 2009 RL, I wonder which car would be a better purchase, 2009 RL (navi) or the 2009 TL AWD (navi). It appears that the new TL has gone further upscale and seems very similar to the RL. I was initially comparing the RL and the Infiniti M35 - AWD. I really like M35 rear seat space and overall interior design, but it bothers me that the engine revs kind of high at highway speeds, not to mention that the less expensive G35 has more HP. Does anybody know if the 2009 RL has more rear leg room than the 2008. I know that the specs are the same but one never knows until you actually sit in it.
  • ocimocim Member Posts: 45
    I agree that Hyundai has come a long way, and certainly models like the Genesis look promising. However, their quality still has to stand the test of time. Currently, Hyundai's quality/reliability is no where near Honda and Toyota, which have been the two leaders in this area for a long time. Sure, Hyundai may catch up to a lot of brands but I think it will take more than 5 years to catch up to the two leaders. Honda and Toyota are not exactly known to stand still and let the competition catch up. Japaneese overall corporate culture and approach to success is quite different from that of the domestics. But, hey if Hyundai does ever catch up, it will just mean more great choices for all of us.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    You obviously don't know or understand the Koreans. They are more than capable of surpassing the Japanese in building cars.
    Honda still builds quality. Toyota not so. Check out the Camry forums for the kind of quality coming from Toyota these days. Terrible.
    If you actually see the car in person you will change your tune. The car is great and makes the '08 look like something from the '80's or '90's!
    Honda has started to slip too. Lots of nagging quality and mechanical issues with TL's, Accords, MDX.

As I said, the Koreans are coming, the Koreans are coming ..... hard and fast!
    Well, I'll have to wait and see. But I just wonder if, simply because the '09 is a new, and different style, compared to the outgoing model which has been around for 5 years, some people are interpreting that as more modern, unless tasteful styling is now considered "dated", and garish is considered modern. You know the old saying...familiarity breeds contempt. I've owned cars in the 80's and 90's, and trust me, they don't look anything like the current TL!
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    It's still UGLY! No, not ugly - It is HIDEOUS!!! And to boot its shovel-nose ugliness now it's gettin' pretty EXPENSIVE @ $43+ grand for a loaded TL? :cry:
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    Saw it in person yesterday. OMG! What are they smokin over there in the design studio! :confuse: That BEAK in the front is a deal breaker for me! Saturn looking!
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    They'll probably discounted them. Acura wants to make even more expensive vehicles that are more luxurious. They want to be Tier 1 someday.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    There's a huge difference in the discounts being given on 2008 RLs vs. 2009 RLs. On 2009's, I'm hearing there are very little discounts as supply is very low due to lack of production output. On 2008's, the demos still left on the lots are now at $39k. So, that puts the price difference close to $10k.
  • traumeritraumeri Member Posts: 32
    Exterior: seriously much better looking in person, even my wife agreed. You get used to the beak, it's just as loud as the Audi's snout IMO. Does not seem that much bigger either (the length accentuated by the pointed front and back). I think the beak looks alot better than the TSX (didn't see the 09RL) and less tacky than I expected.

Interior: doesn't feel that much bigger, but the rear leg room is much improved (headroom cramped by the sloping roof line). The front feels tighter without being cramped (probably due to the big NAV screen and hood). Very ergonomics overall, the seats don't feel very soft but probably needs to be broken into. Somebody mentioned the driving position is low but I think it is better than BMW 3.

Stereo: The new ELS is very nice, wow. I'll have to test out the Audi and Infiniti systems but this is pretty nice for a 40k car. The dealer loaded some tunes onto the HDD and playback was very smooth.

NAV: very nice screen, the new interface knob is very easy to use. I prefer the location to BMW or Infiniti's, have not tested the Audi's. Voice command works well.

Drive: much quieter than 08 TL as advertised but not Lexus/mercedes-silent perhaps by design? Road and engine sounds are nicely muted so nothing is intrusive, conversations is easily heard, and the stereo can be left at low volumes.

Handling: I actually like the EPS for normal in town driving, there was a lot of traffic out so couldn't really push the car. Overall a very balanced chassis but again I did not push it hard. The feel is somewhere between the 08TL and 08TL-S to the best of my recollection.

Performance: I will need to go back on a weekend to push it harder on more open roads but acceleration feels just a tad under the 08TL-S (slightly detuned engine by numbers, extra weight and a heavier salesman compared to last time). I really think Acura's 1st two gears in the 5spd is too tall compared to the competition so acceleration feels a bit soft....I mean it is adequate but feels solidly in the mid 6's or higher for 0-60.

Based on this initial short test drive I'll definitely wait to see the SH-AWD with the slightly bigger engine and shorter final drive. I'm already sold on the interior stuff. It's missing the adaptive headlights and blindspot warning system compared to the Audi and Infiniti but the overall package may seal the deal for me......
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    trau.....I went to the official "unveiling" of the TL last night at the local dealer. They had just about every color, both tech and non-tech. I'll say up front, I concur with just about everything you posted. Of course, no SH-AWD version was available, yet.

I do like the rear, quite a bit. The "snout" front end? Not sure whether I like it or not. But, as you mentioned, it's neither better, nor worse than what you see on the Audi.

But, these do look a lot better in person than they do in pictures. Side profile is very sharp. From the side, the front end gives a "hunkered down" look.

They actually had the '08s side-by-side with the '09s. I got the impression that the '08s, while still handsome, look a bit dated by comparison.

I liked the interior much better on the '09 over the '08. Again, much better in person than in pictures. Seats are better on the '09, too.

I got to drive a "basque red pearl with taupe leather tech" version. Very, very sharp!

By my Butt-meter, it feels about as fast as a TL-S. Handles about the same. Seemed smoother all the way around....much easier to drive fast. Rides better.

Much better back seat, as you say.

It is quieter than the TL-S. As quiet as a Lexus? Nope. But it makes nice muted sounds under the hood.

Did a quick "pairing" to my I-Phone. Went off without a hitch. Made a couple of calls while I was test driving. Everyone said they could hear me fine using blue-tooth.

I couldn't discern any torque steer, which was surprising, given it's a nearly 300 HP (280 HP, IIRC) motor driving the front wheels. I pushed it pretty hard, too. Seemed to beg for more. I don't think the brakes were "brembos", but they sure felt like it.

My overall impression....very nice update to a very nice car. Is it as fast as a G or BMW 335i? No! But, it's close enough that only a stop watch could tell the difference. Does it handle as well as the BMW? No. But again, not far off the mark. It's certainly smoother than the G, though. I prefer the ride/handling trade-off of the '09 TL over either the BMW or G.

As always, the stereo is superb. Happened to have a Diana Krall DVD-A with me. Plugged it in and I'd say the '09 ELS trumps the '08 ELS by a good margin. Don't know if that's a result of a quieter cabin, or they made substantial improvements in the stereo itself.

Overall, it doesn't stand out in any one category, but does everything well.....better than the outgoing model.

The one I drove stickered at $39K and change. That's easily $10K less than a BMW 3 series similarly equipped. Plus, the NAV is worlds better in the TL than the one in the BMW.

With the current discounts on the G, I would imagine that's the closest competitor. But, back seat room in the TL is better. Interior is better than the G, too. It also drives smoother than the G.

Talked to one of the salesman at the event. He was quite honest. He said the first ones sold will go for MSRP. I think he took a deposit on two of them in the 90 minutes I was at the event. One deposit was for the one I test drove....by the person who drove it right after I did. I hope he didn't see my test drive because I did wring it out pretty good. That's just one of about 4 sales people who were there. I'd guess the others had the same experience.

I told him I wasn't in the market. He said give it a couple of months for the initial run to sell down. He said to visit after that if I were looking for less than MSRP. He also said he had one new '08 TL-S left that he'd sell for $32,500. Pretty big jump to nearly $40K for an '09.

But, if you let the "buzz" die down a little bit, and could score an '09 tech next year for $36K-$37K, I think Acura will have another "hit" on their hands.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Nice review, that is true, if you let the buzz die down, than you can realistically get the car at a decent price, plus you are able to see about the reviews people are saying. It was like that for the new Accord, now its pretty calm. You can get a loaded Accord for a decent price. Big bang for the buck.

The issue with the design is that Acura really took a huge risk with it! BIG! I really feel this is where the design trend is going to go, since they have used and beaten every design on car now. The New Audi's are looking quite techy. I actually really appreciate them going with the design and taking a chance. Most cars look better in person, the Accord certainly does. I feel the Accord could have used a little more Accord Coupe inspiration, and it would not have hurt anything. They want that car to be conservative. The Acura is not so conservative anymore. To each there own.
    Good to hear that you and Trau each think the TL tastes better in the flesh. I thought the same about the new TSX. As a current TL owner, and general admirer of the Honda company, I hope the new TL Is a hit. But, still, that bloody beak...

In pix, I've not been impressed by the new TL, I do look forward to the real thing. But, as I've never bought the same car, or brand, twice in a row in my life, I doubt I'll TL next. Depending on any number of factors, I'm leaning toward Europe. Although the upcoming G37 and IS Convertibles may throw a monkey wrench into that plan. STill, the Audi A5 is just so lovely (as is the Jag XK, another usual suspect)...

Rainy day ramblings...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• mrsatisfactionmrsatisfaction Member Posts: 14
    I like your fair appraisal of the 2009. I work for Acura and I was very impressed by our Ride and Drive sessions where we took both the FWD TL and SH-AWD TL for hard, aggressive rounds on different courses versus the BMW, Lexus, and Infiniti in both their RWD and AWD versions.

The handling and steering control were great for the TL as well as the braking. The braking was head and shoulders above the others as far as the confidence that it gave me without shuddering, most noticeably on the Infinit.

The one thing I regret about the Ride and Drive (since I can't trash the ones at our dealership for kicks) is that I did not turn off the traction control on the TLs that we drove. The traction controls on the TL when you want performance really hampers the acceleration of its strong VTEC engine and gives you less response when you really want to get up and go. Turning it off makes it a lot more exciting than it already is.

I am way more confident in this vehicle in terms of positives and negatives than before I had the opportunity drive it.
  • mrsatisfactionmrsatisfaction Member Posts: 14
    If you want a performance car, don't go Infiniti. They still have a long way to go with bad body roll and braking. The other annoying thing is that their paddle shifters do not move with the steering wheel which makes it impossible to shift while turning.
    Fear not, Mr. S. My choices back in '05 came down to the G35 and the TL. For me, it was an easy, clear choice: The Abyss Blue TL that now ferries me about in style! Again, though, please have Acura rethink the beak...

• traumeritraumeri Member Posts: 32
    Mrsatisfaction: I didn't think about turning off the VSA maybe I'll do that next time. I still feel like the Acura 5spd's 1st gear is too tall (an extra gear to balance out the lower 3 gears will be nice).

Your occupational bias aside, how much performance gain should I expect from the SH-AWD? The fuel economy hit and the smaller trunk are going against it, but I do want that occassional AWD capability. Personally I am trying to hold out until Spring to be in the market....right now I am hoping the "beak" turn away enough buyers so I won't be paying MSRP by then.

I think the new TL is really positioned between the BMW 3 and 5, and also outsizes the G35/7. I also think the new Audi A4 with purported growth in interior/trunk size poses serious competition as well. Obviously no single car stands out as each has its strength and weakness and it all depends on each buyer's priority. For me being a new parent the increased interior room is important and performance can take a backseat (no pun intended) to a certain degree. The run-flats and low value of BMW is prohibitive for me. G35 will be close and the new Audi A4 warrants a look for me.

In the end, I think the 09TL will win out. My only fear is that I shell out for the 09TL only to have Acura come out with a 6spd auto by 2011......
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I've been a Honda fan for a long time. Bought a new 1992 Accord (great car). I always valued Hondas for reliability, sportiness, steering feel, and driving agility.

I bought a 1998 Audi A4, a car that inspired real passion. It was a wonderful car, but not as reliable as a Honda. When the family got bigger I got rid of it and got a 2005 Acura TL.

My '05 TL has been very reliable. It's comfortable, it has a lot of great goodies, it gets great gas mileage. But I'd say that it's almost too big, it's suspension is floaty. The auto transmission has about a half second of hesitation when you need to punch it fast in an urgent situation. I've had loaner TSX's (previous model) and I LOVE the size and handling of the TSX.

So recently at a service I got a *brand new model* TSX loaner. It's bigger and IMHO it's lost some of its charm. I don't find it any more appealing than the previous model - it's gotten too big.

Now look at the new TL. I haven't driven it or even seen one, but my TL is already borderline boat status. The last thing I want is a bigger car.

Look at the new Accord. Vs. the previous model it is HUGE. And my 1992 Accord handled great, had great steering and suspension. My TL is more of a boat and floatier than the '92 Accord.

It just seems that Honda is moving more toward Toyota all the time - bigger, softer. It's got me looking more at Mazda instead. We have a Mazda 5, which is a micro minivan based upon the Mazda 3. The Mazda 5 is *shorter* than my TL, but even though it has much less power it handles better! That Mazda suspension is awesome!

So while I admire Honda I hope they quit straying so far from their roots.
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    The current 3G TL in certainly no family hauler. I appreciate the fact it has grown up a little bit. I appreciate the extra space and larger trunk. Will that outweigh the looks. I don't know but I will still keep it on my list. I'm glad the TL has grown bigger. My family members grow bigger in size and height so if I can stay with a TL during this I would be happy.
    You're asking an Acura salesman for his unbiased opinion? :confuse: :surprise:
    Wow! My thoughts exactly....on the TL, the new TSX, the Toyota-ization of Honda products in general. I love the styling of my '04 TL; it's got all the room I need, it's smooth, comfortable and reasonably fast. But it's kind of boring to drive. It's more cruiser than bruiser, and the steering is numb-ish. Unless I absolutely need the room, I prefer to drive my wife's Mini, despite it's meagre 118 hp.
  • ajcohenajcohen Member Posts: 16
    I started a thread for this but it looks like there is a lot of activity here so I thought I would put it here also.
    Has anyone put together a lease yet on the new TL. The Acura website has offered this featured lease and I was looking for input on either it or any other leases out there. I am looking for a lease with the tech package specifically.
    Thanks

2009 TL Featured Standard Lease
    $419.00 per month for 36 months. $3,699.00 total due at signing.
    FEATURED LEASE: Closed-end lease for 2009 TL with Automatic Transmission (Model UA8629JW) for $419.00 per month for 36 months with a $2,685.00 capitalized cost reduction available to customers who qualify for the AHFC Super Preferred credit tier. Other rates/tiers are available under this offer. $3,699.00 total due at lease signing (includes first month's payment, AHFC upfront acquisition fee, capitalized cost reduction, with no security deposit. Security deposit waived in featured lease example. Total net capitalized cost and base monthly payment does not include tax, license, title, registration, documentation fees, options, insurance and the like). Not all buyers may qualify.

Subject to limited availability. From 9/24/2008 through 10/8/2008, to approved lessees by American Honda Finance Corp. Closed end lease for 2009 TL with Automatic Transmission (Model UA8629JW), for well qualified lessees. Not all lessees will qualify. Higher lease rates apply for lessees with lower credit ratings. MSRP $35,715.00 (includes destination) less the suggested dealer contribution resulting in actual net capitalized cost $32,957.93. Dealer contribution may vary and could affect actual lease payment. Taxes, license, title fees, options and insurance extra. Total monthly payments $15,084.00. Option to purchase at lease end $23,571.90. Lessee responsible for maintenance, excessive wear/tear and 15 cents/mi. over 10,000 miles/year for vehicles with MSRP less than $30,000, but for vehicles with MSRP of $30,000 or more, mileage cost is 20 cents/mi. over 10,000 miles/year. See dealer for complete details.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    laurasdada.....bvd.....as we've seen in the posts here, the re-design is polarizing. There are some things I like about it. There are other things, while I don't hate them (the beak), I don't love them either.

But, I can probably say that about any car I've ever bought.

One thing's for certain, you won't mistake the new TL with anything else on the road....even other Honda/Acura products.

IMHO....as I stated before, the performance is in the ballpark of both the BMW 3 and the Infiniti G. TL trumps the BMW on features, space and price. There are some pretty crazy deals I've seen on the G. Based on the deals I've seen, there could be as much as a $4K-$5K swing in the Gs favor on price. Even more of a swing to the Gx's favor compared to the TL-SH- AWD version. That is, until they start discounting the TL (maybe next year....maybe sooner, depending on whether the new TL gets off to a slow or fast start in sales).

But, the TL trumps the G on interior room and interior style/quality of materials.

Strange....I didn't see one RL on the dealer's lot....NOT ONE! I can't imagine they're selling that well. I would imagine that the SH-AWD of the RL isn't going to be the big differentiator any more with the TL getting the same running gear when its SH-AWD version hits the showroom.

While, I'm not going to be in the market for awhile, if prices ever recover on my Tahoe (not likely), then the TL and G will be on my shopping list to replace it.

If the TL is being discounted by then, I'd probably lean towards it. If not, then the G may get the nod and I'll pocket the extra $5K.

laurasdada....I almost pulled the trigger on an A6 a few years ago. Lovely interiors. But, the room in the TL would almost match the A6. I've only seen the new A4s a couple of times. But, I agree the A5 is quite the looker....at least from the pictures I've seen. But, either perception or reality, I'm a little skittish about VW/Audi reliability. I've heard some owners say their Audis have been bulletproof. I've heard as many say that their ownership experience has been problematic. Then again, I hear the same thing from Benz owners, too.

The overall impression from my seat time in the new TL, is that Acura has taken it a step upmarket (kind of like what Honda's done with the Accord) from the previous version.

The last TL I had ('04) I think I paid around $33K for, with Nav. 5 years later, the new one is better in every way. But, is it $7K better? I'd have to spend more time in the car to determine that. I could probably swallow a $3K difference and feel good about it.

What's most tempting would be any of the '08 TL-Ss that are left I could pick up for $32.5K. Those are almost all gone, though.

At $34K-$35K, the '09 TL/tech would be a great buy. Whether they get to that level during their run remains to be seen. At $40K? Not so much....particularly since you can get a totally loaded Gx for much less than that.

aj.....I've never known Acura to have any great lease deals....at least not like BMW offers. My opinion is you lease a BMW. You BUY an Acura.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring