Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    My opinion still holds .... overstyled and oversized. :(

Pontiac used to build cars like that, with creases, fins, ribs, body cladding, extra line here and there, and everywhere. I think they called it "surface excitement", to which Car & Driver quipped, "If they build houses that exciting, it would depress property values for blocks".

Don't confuse different with better.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,687
    "Pontiac: We glue on excitement!"

I still have to see the new TL up close and personal, but someone posted a link to a bunch of pix. You know, from some angles it looked pretty good... Not the beak of Acura, however, but in profile not bad.

I think the new TSX looks a lot better in person than in pix, I'm hoping TL too. We shall see when we actually see!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• Pontiac and Acura are worlds apart.
    Have you seen the car in person?
    I also haven't seen Charlize Theron in person, but I can bet my (and your) bottom dollar that I ain't going to kick her out of bed for eating crackers. ;)

I don't see how the car in person would be smaller (numbers don't lie), or less over-styled. It may look somewhat more attractive in person, but it won't eliminate my 2 main concerns.
  • To get the real-time weather on the NAVI screen, is that part of the base XM subscription, part of the XM-TRAFFIC subscription, or yet another subscription cost on top of these two??

XM NavWeather Pricing
  • I was at Tischer Acura today for an oil change, and they had received 2 2009 TLs. One had sold yesterday, and the other was on display next to a 2008 TL. I have to agree, the 2009 looked very modern, and the 2008 very dated.

Tischer has tons of 2008 TLs in stock, I'll bet they can be had for $7K off MSRP at least.
  • Just get off your butt and go down to local dealer-then you will see my point.
    Also numbers do lie-because several times I have seen stats on interior dimensions of a car and when you actually sit in the car its a different story.
  • gvbgvb Posts: 39
    I'm certain it performs like a dream, but looks too much like a Nissan Altima to me. At least from a side view it certainly has that look. Too bad...
    FYI, the car is not available at Canadian dealers yet, at least not here, locally. Numbers do not lie. I can look at the exterior dimensions and know whether the car is too big for me or not. At almost 195" in length and about 75" in width, it is almost SUV dimensions. I do not want or need a sedan that big. It would be a pain to drive and park in the city. For whatever reason, our town seems to want to monopolize tight parking spaces. Even in my own garage, I don't want to have to squeeze my way around the car. Hell, if I wanted a big sedan, I would have put the BMW 5-series on my list.

If the car had killer looks, maybe, just maybe it would sway me to overlook the size. But the TL does not have killer looks. Modern, futuristic, key-edge, keen-edge, yada, yada, whatever term you want to use. It may look different, but it ain't no classic styling job. If anything, it looks bigger than the numbers suggest. It has a heavy, bulbous look to it. Much like the wayward Maxima. Badge snobbery aside, the Hyundai Genesis, a sedan similar in size to the TL, blows it away in terms of styling.
  • djdjdjdj Posts: 111
    In pictures I also think it looks a bit like the last Maxima. This week I saw two new Maximas and they look better in person than in pictures.

I thought the new TSX was so-so under the dealer gave me one as a loaner. In person IMO it looks really good, nice interior and a nice ride.

I also want to see the TL in person. Surprisingly, the dealer sent me a mailer today announcing the arrival of the car and offer top trade-in on my current car. I was surprised. Maybe Acura doesn't expect the new style to sell itself.
  • When is the new TLS coming out? Hope it has more HP! Like 350 minimum! 286 HP currently just doesn't cut it! Car is fast though. The new TL is edgy looking. I love the new look! Way to go ACURA despite all the front grill bashers out there. (Sort of does look like a beak!) Believe it or not even my current TLS people mistake it for a Saturn! :mad: I added the ASPEC body kit so it looked different. Looks much better now!! I hope the build quality improves! My TLS has been in the shop alot for mirrors, window, rattles, squeaks etc..... not real happy :sick:
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Yuck! Altima and Acura should never be in the same sentence..lol
  • snagssnags Posts: 27
    Went to see the TL yesterday mhoping seeing it in person would give a better impression but was disappointed .

It looked like the back and front didnt belong together.

You sit low in the car even at the highest seat setting and there is no power steering wheel adjustment or cooled seats on a 40k car

With the Maxima being cheaper ,much more attractive and with both of the items missing on TL I think the Max is a better deal given they both might first year problems.
  • Went to the acura dealer to see for myself. To preface, I have a 2008 Mercedes E63 so I can speak from a detached view. The lease is for another 2 years and with the traffic in Atlanta and gas rationing I might consider a more efficient car. And while it would be more in the order of a BMW 335d I was interested in the Maxima and the TL since they are direct competitors and both new and different. At first, in photos, the Maxima is better looking. But the effect is wearing off on me primarily due to the square grill in the front which the shape of which doesnt go with the rest of the car which is all curves. It,however, looks good in any color since the chrome is minimal. The TL in person is impressive, chunky, but it all goes together. Black is a bad color for it, due to all the chrome pieces which contrast the rest and appears chopped up. Silver is the color for this beast which blends all the chrome with the body and is cohesive. The TL will grow on you. The Maxima might tire. I read preliminary reviews and the only bad thing I saw about the TL is the "electric" steering which by some accounts is numb with no feedback and too light. Has anyone out there given it a thorough comparative drive?
  • I have an 03 TL Type S with 99,500 miles on it and I am seriously in the market for a new car at this point. I conveyed that to the dealer yesterday and he gladly let me test drive the 09. My friend has an 07 TL so I'm familiar with the previous generation. The nav package is absolutely amazing! The speed of selecting menu items was ridiculous and it was very easy to use in comparison with the older models. The voice features slows it down a little and I'm a little dissapointed about not having touch screen, but the speed of using the knob makes up for it. The new weather feature is pretty cool...it even gave future forecasts. I do agree about it feeling very low to the ground, with even adjusting the seats. I guess they are going after more of a sporty feel. I've test driven a G37 coupe and the seat had a similar feeling to it. In terms of the drive, the car has some balls! I had it up to about 6500 rpm's and it felt fast. I was reading that a lot of the reviewers felt the car was too quiet from the inside, but I think you can definitely hear the engine roar when you drop the gears and begin to fly. The steering was a little ridiculous in that I went to turn into the dealership I felt as if I did nothing to turn the car and it did it automatically. A little strange feeling, but I think I can get used to it. In terms of looks, I think the back of the car looks amazing in person! They only had the car in black and blue (by the way the blue in person looks NOTHING like it does on the website) It is the same blue that was on the standard non type s previous generation TL's. I think the grill is better in person and will grow on you, but the darker colors emphasize it a little too much as in the pictures we have seen.I am eager to see the car in a silver. One last thing is that the backup camera has these lines to guide you into a spot...same as the infiniti G has. So bottom line is that I am going to wait until the AWD arrives...I don't think it is necessary in snow because the FWD makes that no problem at all. I just really want to see how the car looks with the 18's and different exhaust. After that I will most likely get the standard FWD with tech.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    I wouldn't want to downgrade to a maxima, considering its review it got. pretty much average. The TSX, TL are much more of a car.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,252
    "I just really want to see how the car looks with the 18's and different exhaust."

What's the different exhaust?

Also, how does the driving experience of the '09 differ from your friend's '07?
  • quad pipes on the AWD.
  • Blows it away in a wannabe Mercedes S550.
    Dont even mention the TL in the same breathe as a Hyundai-Honda engineers and "that" company are in totally different leagues.I have never seen Hyundai introduced a car that is original in style, they are always knocking off designs from others.
    Please let us not get into a Hyundai/Acura debate because if they were giving the Genesis away I wouldnt want one.
  • Has anyone taken notice that the new TL exterior looks like the evil spawn of a Saturn Aura? Dont get me wrong the Aura is not a bad looking sedan considering its a domestic. But I really do hope the TL does not follow that path, because nothing about the Aura screams performance. I am looking forward to seeing the new TL at my dealership during the next service of my 02 TL. Camera's can be very deceiving on the the angles of a car and I'm hoping that this is the case for the TL.

While talking about these cars, I must admit the new trademark Acura grille is starting to grow on me. I mean it makes sense for Acura to finally get their own unique grille. If you think about it most luxury cars have them. For instance, look at Mercedes, BMW, Audi, even most recently Infiniti. Once again I hat to mention Saturn of all brands, but my brother (who is not really even a car enthusiast) pointed out to me how similar the new Acura grilles look to current Saturn grilles. I immediately denied the observation, but looking closer there are striking similarities. The main thing that sets the Acura's apart is that it gives a floating appearance.

To wrap this post up, I have had the pleasure of driving a fully loaded Acura RDX for over a week while my TL was in the shop. I was very impressed by the new technology layout versus previous generation Acura's but I still missed the interaction one got with having the touch screen. Sometimes it got annoying having to use the dial/joystick for simple functions. But unlike BMW's ridiculous i-drive system, Acura still littered the dash with the most used HVAC controls. But the only thing that felt ergonomically wrong is that the big dial/joystick was not the volume knob for the 10 speaker stereo. That was given a tiny knob at the very bottom of the control panel just above the start of the center console. One can also find this same thing done on new Honda models with technology package. And the large dial/joystick looks at certain angles aesthetically odd. I think if Acura is going to keep this unique dial they should locate it where all the other makers put it, on the center console so it is always within reach.
    "Please let us not get into a Hyundai/Acura debate because if they were giving the Genesis away I wouldnt want one."

You obviously have not been paying any attention to what the Koreans have been doing lately. I predict in another 5 years, Hyundai will surpass Honda in quality, value, styling and performance. Did you hear that? I said SURPASS ... meaning it'll be better. How does that grab you? I hope you didn't spill your coffee, or choke on your Big Mac. :P By the way, did I say surpass?!! Time to update your mindset to the 21st Century.
    "...it makes sense for Acura to finally get their own unique grille. If you think about it most luxury cars have them.'

Absolutely. I don't think anyone will disagree. The question is did they have to make it ugly! And what was wrong with the previous grill? It was also uniquely identifiable as Acura's.
  • Have you ever watched the reality show America Idol, where you have these delusional contestant that thinks they are the next Whitney Houston and they totally suck.That's how I considered your comment about the Korean surpassing the Honda engineers-totally absurd.
    Billy, don't be a hero, don't be a fool with your life....... ;) How's my singing? Good enough to go on the Idol? :P

(BTW, I don't watch crap shows like American Idol, because as you said most of those idiots are delusional. I can't stand reality shows in general)

But I would suggest you broaden your automotive horizon a bit. You know, it wasn't that long ago that the American Big Three didn't think the Japanese were much of a threat.
  • ocimocim Posts: 45
    Has anybody test driven both cars back to back? If so what are your impressions? A friend purchased a new 2008 RL with the Nav system for 41.5K. Assuming one could get a similar deal on a 2009 RL, I wonder which car would be a better purchase, 2009 RL (navi) or the 2009 TL AWD (navi). It appears that the new TL has gone further upscale and seems very similar to the RL. I was initially comparing the RL and the Infiniti M35 - AWD. I really like M35 rear seat space and overall interior design, but it bothers me that the engine revs kind of high at highway speeds, not to mention that the less expensive G35 has more HP. Does anybody know if the 2009 RL has more rear leg room than the 2008. I know that the specs are the same but one never knows until you actually sit in it.
  • ocimocim Posts: 45
    I agree that Hyundai has come a long way, and certainly models like the Genesis look promising. However, their quality still has to stand the test of time. Currently, Hyundai's quality/reliability is no where near Honda and Toyota, which have been the two leaders in this area for a long time. Sure, Hyundai may catch up to a lot of brands but I think it will take more than 5 years to catch up to the two leaders. Honda and Toyota are not exactly known to stand still and let the competition catch up. Japaneese overall corporate culture and approach to success is quite different from that of the domestics. But, hey if Hyundai does ever catch up, it will just mean more great choices for all of us.
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    You obviously don't know or understand the Koreans. They are more than capable of surpassing the Japanese in building cars.
    Honda still builds quality. Toyota not so. Check out the Camry forums for the kind of quality coming from Toyota these days. Terrible.
    If you actually see the car in person you will change your tune. The car is great and makes the '08 look like something from the '80's or '90's!
    Honda has started to slip too. Lots of nagging quality and mechanical issues with TL's, Accords, MDX.

As I said, the Koreans are coming, the Koreans are coming ..... hard and fast!