Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• hdaohdao Member Posts: 20
    Yes, GMC Acadia has been designed like that. Bad design since the some light bulbs could be burned out so quick. Technician has to lift up and remove the wheel and the panel in order to access the light bulb. It is inconvenient if the light bulb burned out more often. I used to turn off my head lights during the daytime drive. My 2007 Acadia lights have yet been burned. For the water pump, my water pump went out at 35K miles and has been replaced under powertrain warranty. Since many Acadia have water pump leaked, a technician has told me that the new water pump has been redesigned. It is not a same part as the original one.
    My first 8K gas mileage is horrible. Now, here are my gas mileage after my Acadia reached beyond 8K:

1) Dallas, TX Panama City, FL. Average 18mpg. City=17mpg, HW=23mpg with a/c on. HW is considered flat surface.

2) Dallas TX -> Pagosa Springs, CO. HW = 21-22 mpg (most up hill due high mountain CO). On the way back, HW = 24-25 mpg since it mostly goes down hill. w/o AC as we went to ski in winter.
    My first 8K gas mileage is horrible. Now, here are my gas mileage after my Acadia reached beyond 8K:

1) Dallas, TX Panama City, FL. Average 18mpg. City=17mpg, HW=23mpg with a/c on. HW is considered flat surface.

2) Dallas TX -> Pagosa Springs, CO. HW = 21-22 mpg (most up hill due high mountain CO). On the way back, HW = 24-25 mpg since it mostly goes down hill. w/o AC as we went to ski in winter.

For checking the mpg on highway more accurate, while driving on highway press the mpg reset button. Or you can manually calculate by filling-up your tank, reset your trip odometer to zero, then driving for a long trip. On your next fill-up, write down how many gallons. Now do the math, take the total trip mileage divide by number gallons then you get the answer.
  • octoberblueoctoberblue Member Posts: 6
    OK looking for some answers out here, I have a 2008 Acadia and within 3 years have replaced both bulbs myself. Take my word for it, if you have patience buy the bulb then google how to change there is a version that tells you how to access under the wheel well & man who's crappy desgin was it to make it so hard to access the bulb. Anyway within 3 months time I noticed one of the bulbs was out again and thought cheap bubl so once again back under the wheel well I go. I took my time access the bulb, tried to remove the bulb from the harness and noticed a wire was loose, Man's response **** I damaged the housing but upon further review I looked where the wire was sitting and noticed the housing was discolored. As I continued to remove the bulb the harness started to crumble now this is not what normally happen with a good harness but one that has burned damaged do. So I am trying to see if this is an isolated issue or are there others out here, we have written to GMC to have them take care of the matter because I feel we should not have to pay for something that is faulty.
  • dwebb441dwebb441 Member Posts: 1
    Please someone from GMc customer care contact me via the email. I need some advice
  • 4baseball4baseball Member Posts: 5
    My 2008 Acadia has a problem turning at low speeds - the steering binds up. The dealer said the steering rack needs to be replaced for about $1200. It appears that this is an ongoing issue with Acadia's based on the numerous posts about it. Is there any resolution other than paying for the replacement?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    dwebb441,
    I looked and your email is private. Please feel free to email me with any inquiries.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • clfyjrclfyjr Member Posts: 2
    Yup, bought new bulbs for my 2008 Acadia about a year ago and said "holy crap" when I tried to replace them. Called the dealer to say "WTH! The vehicle is 2 years old.." Got the oil change folks to pull the tire and inner fender and charged me $10! The techs said the "GM way" is to pull the bumper and is 1 hour of $75 labor! Did not notice any burned components but bulbs on both side burned out early. Confusing since our Pontiac Vibe made it 6 years before the bulbs burned out and were a piece of cake to replace.
  • clfyjrclfyjr Member Posts: 2
    OK, bought our 2008 Acadia in Dec 2008 with only 13K miles, former rental car from NM. Loved the car! Then they had to pull the engine to fix an issue with the transmission, then it was a faulty air bag sensor, now the vehicle randomly stalls on us, usually at low speed. Lets not forget the hard transmission clunk at 72 mph going up a grade with an engine stall.

Have had the Acadia in the shop 4 times since June 2011 for a total of about 18 days, dealer cannot reproduce the issue (of course!). Just found this site today and it sounds like a KNOWN issue with lots of comments from GM Customer Service even! Frustrating part is that this is the first time my dealer has heard of this issue and *supposedly* GM was surprised by the issue!

We took our Acaida back from the dealer (not repaired) on 7/16 after having been towed in on 7/5 and have not had a stalling issue since. The engine is definately hesitating and occasionally we see a 1.5 second one time flash of the check enging light that does nto stay lit. Onstar finds nothing on the diagnostic. Very frustrated. We have been in contact with GM..but alas we have a 2008 with about 63K miles so a courtesy vehicle is out of the question. So far, with all the time at the shop there has been no charges. Sorry for rambling on and on.

GM! What should i do with a non-routine phantom issue? Love the vehicle otherwise. Dealer will take in trade, but not a good price compared to what I paid.
    clfyjr,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • mzsmommymzsmommy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Acadia that is having a problem with the aux fan for the back seats coming on while the keys are out of the car and the doors locked and engine off. The fans are on and so are the lights inside. When I get in and turn on the car, the backseat fan is on high and I don't have the fan on in the front at all. I worry that if I don't catch it, my battery will be dead next time I get in. Anyone else have this problem?
  • 07whiteslt07whiteslt Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2007 SLT. The AC has given us trouble over the past year. First, the AC compressor would just randomly turn off (Snowflake light goes out...no cold air). We couldn't get it to come back on. Dealer reporgrammed the AC control system. AC worked fine for about 4 months. Now that we're in the heat of the summer it's acting up again. The weird thing is there is no rhyme or reason. The AC compressor will randomly turn off (Snowflake light goes out and no cold air). This may happen everytime we drive the car one day and then not happen for days on end. The only reliable thing is if you rev the engine the light will flicker and the AC compressor eventually comes on. This "fix" may work for a few seconds or all day. We've taken it in once to our dealer and they said they couldn't recreate the problem. We took it in today, and they said it will be very difficult to diagnose. Is there anyone else out there with a similar issue?
    mzsmommy,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with the A/C fan for the back seats. Were you planning on taking the vehicle to a GM dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • lupe_r49lupe_r49 Member Posts: 7
    Wow!!!! I am having the same problem with my 2007 model. I took it to my mechanic and was told the car was too new to have that problem...so now what?????
    edited July 2011
    I too have a burned out bulb. When I read the owners manual, I was pretty much directed to take it to the dealer. This should be something I should be able to do myself...no need to pay the high price the dealer charges!!! With also having steering issues that will cost me $1,300 to fix..I'm going to be starting a facebook page warning consumers NOT TO PURCHASE A GMC ACADIA. I am just soooo disappointed with the problems I encountered and the lack of correction from the dealer!
    lupe_r49,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN so I can look further into your concerns. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    07whiteslt,
    I apologize for you frustrations. If possible, I would recommend leaving the vehicle with the dealer so they can drive it for a few days. This might help if this seems to be happening more. Another option is to drive right to the dealer when you start experiencing the concern. This way you could pull a technician aside and show they what you are experiencing. I hope this information helps. Please keep me updated on your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • firstandonlygmfirstandonlygm Member Posts: 1
    I BROUGHT MY ACADIA AROUND AUGUST OF 2008. IN APRIL OF 2009 I CAME OUT TO RUN SOME ERRANDS AND IT WOULD NOT START, I TRIED TO JUMP IT BUT STILL WOULD NOT START. I HAD IT EVENTUALLY BACK TO THE DEALER (MORESSEY PONTIAC/GMC) WHERE IT WAS PURCHASED. AFTER A COUPLE OF DAYS IT WAS RETURNED AND ACCORDING TO GMC THE PROBLEM WAS FIXED. TO THIS DATE I HAVE HAD TO TOW MY ACADIA BACK TO THE DEALER APPROXIMATELY TWO ADDITIONAL TIMES FOR THE SAME PROBLEM (THE ACADIA NOT STARTING), NOT TO MENTION THE COUNTLESS TIMES I HAVE HAD TO HAVE IT JUMP STARTED. THE FINAL STRAW WAS THE LAST TWO DAYS. BECAUSE OF MY PAST EXPERIENCE WITH MY ACADIA NOT STARTING , I INVESTED IN A BATTERY PACK ( FOR GIVING BOOST). YESTERDAY I WHEN TO RUN SOME ERRANDS AND ONCE AGAIN IT DID NOT START, I USED MY NEW BOOSTER TO JUMP IT AND IT STARTED. THIS MORNING MY WIFE HAD SOME APPOINTMENTS, SHE WENT TO START THE ACADIA, IT WOULD NOT START. AGAIN WE USED THE BOOSTER FOR THE BOOST. SHE MADE HER FIRST APPOINTMENT, CAME OUT AND THE ACADIA WOULD NOT START. I HAVE HAD IT WITH THIS ACADIA. THIS IS MY FIRST GMC AND IT WILL BE MY LAST.
  • ktriektrie Member Posts: 15
    I bought my 2008 Acadia SLT2 in September '08 and within the first 2 months it was in the shop 4-6 times with various issues most of you have experienced or will experience. By the time my factory warranty was nearly up about 2 1/2 years later, my Acadia had been to the dealer approximately 16 times for service issues from leaking sun roofs and broken AC blower fans to replacing water pumps and steering wheel columns.

Since GM refused to buy back the vehicle and I couldn't exactly afford to buy something else, I decided to purchase the extended warranty plan through GM. By far this was the best decision I made where this vehicle is concerned. Since purchasing the GMPP, I have had several other problems that would have cost me thousands. The cost of the warranty plan has paid for itself with the various replacement parts and labor costs that I would have incurred.

It's really a shame since this is the only vehicle on the road that offers the type of interior space and ammenities that I desire for a relatively reasonable price. I plan on replacing my Acadia in 2012 but I have no idea what can meet my interior space requirement for a cost of around $50k.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    $50K buys a lot of SUV. Ever consider a full size?
  • eschwingeschwing Member Posts: 1
    Can you look into mine too. 2008 Acadia, VIN 1gker13798j268999, we have been dealing with PS problems for years, 1 dealership changed the rack system and purged the PS pump twice, BTW, It still whines when making turns. Whenever my wife drives through and type of puddle we lose power steering and the car almost kills. She is going to get hit one day or wreck. We brought it to another dealership and they cannot reproduce it but when I sprayed a little water under the car it did it for me. It seems they didn't even try to look at the problem. The Car was almost out of Warranty so I assume they just figured they would wait up out. Water pump was also replaced last year, still have to fill the reservoir every 2 weeks because it dries out. We also have the stinky A/C smell, Car idles rough at times, Dealership told us they couldn't figure it out without a trouble code showing. I also own a 2010 Silverado, But we are not happy GM customers with all these issues.
  • khankerkhanker Member Posts: 9
    This is just a follow up as to whats happened with our 2008 Acadia. After a few back and forths with GM, they decided to give us $2000 towards a different car. We were definitely NOT going to get another Acadia after all of the problems... so we ended up trading it in for the Yukon XL and what a difference! There is no hum from the steering, no thumping under the gas pedal, no stalls and no leaks! It drives so much smoother. I really liked the size of the Acadia, but am so GLAD to be out of it! It was such a horrible experience... but hopefully our faith in GM will be restored this time around.
    edited August 2011
    eschwing,
    Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, and contact information? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • kilroybeachkilroybeach Member Posts: 2
    Our dealership took care of steering problem. My husband and I are very annoyed at having to pay an outrageous sum to the dealership to get a bulb replaced because it is inaccessible to even the most capable of men. 2nd one just a few weeks ago. Really? Made appointment for this week for transmission noise. We'll see how that turns out!
  • hjammerhjammer Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I purchased a 2007 Acadia that was a factory repurchase due to a water leak issue through the sunroof. That issue was not actually resolved when we purchased the car, but the local dealership was eventually able to resolve it. We have also had the radio replaced 3 times due to the sound completely disappearing, we had the car in the shop for the "standard" timing issue with the newly redesigned parts. Just a month ago I had the car towed in because the transmission completely failed. The dealer told us that this was a common problem I actually found a TSB on it. Now at just under 70k miles we have been told that the power steering pump is bad, this is also a "known problem" and the solution is a "redsigned part" because there were so many problems but this is not a warranty or recall service issue.

I've seen several other posts about power steering issues and wanted to find out if everyone has gotten the same story? It seems crazy to me that the dealership would say this is a known issue and they have redesigned the part because it was such a big issue and that its not covered?

We really LOVE our Acadia, even with the problems we've had but I am getting tired of going back to the shop all the time for things that GM KNOWs are big problems. Anybody else have experience with this or anybody from GM have any comments on why this is a "known issue" with a redesigned part and its not a covered repair?
    kilroybeach,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with the transmission. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
  • kilroybeachkilroybeach Member Posts: 2
    I would like to add that we love the Acadia. Live in North Idaho and have treacherous winter driving conditions. It is the most comfortable, stable vehicle I have driven and I don't hesitate to put my family in this vehicle.
  • cottongwencottongwen Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem with a 2009. Our snowflake light doesn't go off, but the compressor stops. Intermittent problem. Have taken it to dealer 2-3 times, but every time, the compressor starts working before we get there. VERY FRUSTRATING!
    cottongwen,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us posted when the dealership is able to duplicate the problem.

Thank you,
  • dlandersdlanders Member Posts: 8
    We are setting it up for service, but are already being told the computer turns the recirculating feature on/off automatically depending on the humidity in the condensor.

Is the recorder for getting the codes from the vehicle? The complaint is that the problem is intermittent, so if we could 'borrow' one for a few days it should catch the code, if that is what you are talking about.

Thanks,

Doug
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    The recorder has to be installed by the dealer to record "events" in real time. The problem with soft codes is that they get reset every time you start the vehicle and thus the need for the recorder.
    My Vin # is 1GKER13737J162935. I finally had the stearing problem repaired at the GMC dealer because it was becoming a safety issue. I should feel safe in my vehicle and I certainly did not. I could NOT turn my Acadia into the grocery store parking lot without breaking a sweat! I was told by the mechanic that a vehicle this new should not experience these stearing problems. The dealership told me they did notice many Acadias were experiencing similar issues, but was also told "GMC must have figured out the problem because the newer models did not have that problem" Oh... by the way, I was charged about $55 to change the front bulb of my Acadia. I took my own bulb thinking I could save some cash...WRONG! The dealership told me they needed to remove the tire in order to change the bulb so I was going to be charged for 1/2 hour of labor!!! What a dissapointing vehicle...
    lupe_r49,
    I am happy to hear that your concerns have been resolved. I see that you have already spoken with GM Customer Assistance. If would like to email me directly I would be happy to discuss this with you. I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    dlanders,
    The recorder is something the dealer will install. They will be able to explain how it works and exactly what it does. Please keep me updated on your situation. Feel free to email me as well. We can set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. This will serve two purposes. 1st it will report your specific concerns to GM as well as there will be an agent that keeps in contact with you and the dealer to make sure that your concerns are resolved. If you would like to take this course of action please email me with your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    If you go to YouTube and type in "GMC Acadia headlight bulb" there is a short clip on how to change the bulb if you wanted to do it yourself.
  • chadfromftownchadfromftown Member Posts: 18
    I own an 08 SLT-2 Acadia and it has about 50,000miles on it. It has been a great vehicle :D but lately my wife and I have been noticing that the steering is about as tight as it is going down the highway at 70mph as it is turning into the driveway. It's like breaking a sweat to turn into the grocery store parking lot. I'm afraid to take into the GM dealer because I don't know how much they will charge me, especially if they say "we could not replicate the problem as described".
    Has anyone else experience any problems as such? :confuse:
  • chadfromftownchadfromftown Member Posts: 18
    I have experienced difficulty in turning my 08 SLT-2 Acadia at low speeds. Although I have not taken it into the dealer because I'm scared of what they might possibly come up with to charge me for...
    chadfromftown,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your Acadia. Please keep me posted when you have taken the vehicle in to be diagnosed.

Thank you,
    I had the same issue with my 2008 Acadia - difficult turning at low speeds. The dealer diagnosed the problem and determined the steering rack needed to be replaced for a cost of $1100. I was also informed that it is not covered by the warrantly so will probably go get an estimate from an independent repair shop.
  • vjayvjay Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2010 acadia and had the steering rack replaced and now the transmission slips. On any kind of hill I put the stick shift from park to drive and it doesnt catch it simply rolls mmmmmm
  • vjayvjay Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Acadia and when I go from PARK to Drive the vehicle rolls back , the transmission doesnt engage anyone experience this symptom? The tech told me it was normal due to a torque converter thats installed for fuel economy??
    vjay,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoken with the dealer in which you had this replaced? Please email me with your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    4baseball,

I completely understand. Please keep me posted when the problem has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    They all do that. I have had 2.
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    There is a way to get to the bulp through the wheel well. My dealer charges $25 plus the price of thb bulb. Your dealer is ripping you off.
  • masona19masona19 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I've had similar issues with my 2008 Acadia. I've had to pay $127 for them to replace a stupid headlight bulb because it's so complicated to change and takes an hour or more. The bulb itself costs $17 the rest is labor. I've also experienced steering issues. I've almost gotten into 3 accidents because my steering freezes up on me on occasion. I brought it to the dealer 2 weeks ago to be fixed, they replaced the gears and steering fluid pump and all lines involved... it's still having an issue. I brought it back today and I'm told that there is a "bulletin" out - not a recall because not enough people are complaining about it. GMC is aware of the problem but my manufacturer's warranty is no longer valid and my extended warranty won't cover the cost to fix it because everything is "working as it should." REALLY? Then why have me and my 2 kids almost been t-boned when my car won't turn in the rain? I'm told that the I have to get new liners for my wheel wells and some protective shield that is considered an "add-on" so it won't be covered by extended warranty. I will never buy another GMC... nothing but problems.
    masona19,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
  • check2check2 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased an acacia about 2 months ago, and for the past couple of weeks, I've had the stabltrack /brake light on and the check gauges light comes on even though I had enough gas. I made a note to take the car to the dealer in the morning for the stabltrack issue. But to my surprise I attempted to start my car to leave work and would you know it. IT WILL NOT START!. waiting for a tow truck now to tow to the dealer. What have I got myself into?????
    I had my 2008 Acadia at the shop yesterday to get the steering fixed - it was randomly binding up. The dealer claimed it was the steering rack and pinion which was replaced but the problem still exists and they are not sure what the problem is. They need to keep the vehicle for another two days for further diagnosis.
  • sher70sher70 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I just bought a 2008 Acadia yesterday and after reading these reviews I'm getting kind of nervous. I have to say though, yesterday we had torrential downpours and the sunroof didn't leak. Does anyone know if GMC takes care of customers who have bought used cars? Our car has 40,000 miles on it so it still has some time left on its warranty. I'm now wondering if we should purchase an extended warranty on it.