Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    ttully255,

Has the dealership involved Technical Assistance? The contact information for customer assistance is 800-462-8782. Hours: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • skippywizzerskippywizzer Member Posts: 6
    Well, here I go again. Got the double whammy this time. Sunroof leaked again this weekend. This time on the passenger side and it soaked the carpet. Then two days later, I have coolant leaking from somewhere around the radiator on the passenger side. Just turned 40K miles tonight. Previous repairs have been new power steering pump, new rack and pinion and a new cylinder head. All have been covered by warranty and I did purchase an extended warranty, but something tells me I'm going to get the shaft on this one. For GMC's sake, I hope not. We will see and I will post a follow up.
  • ttully255ttully255 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, the last time I spoke to the Dealer's Service Manager he advised me he was on the phone several times with GM Engineers. I had to walk him through all the things my Acadia was doing just prior to all the error sensors coming on and what the car did immediately after the sensors came on.

Thank you for the information.
    Probably the water pump. I brought mine in a month ago for a routine oil change and they told me the pump was leaking. Which explained why I had to keep adding coolant but could never seem to find where it was leaking from. Good luck with that, feel your pain! :(
  • chadfromftownchadfromftown Member Posts: 18
    edited September 2011
    2008 GMC Acadia SLT-1; 51,400 Miles on it now. It has been a great vehicle other than when it was at its first 12k miles, whole new steering column and system replaced due to major popping. Not a problem now. At 47,000 miles the water pump busted and lost all coolant which left my newborn baby and I stranded on the side of the highway... Its soooo much fun waiting on a towtruck with a balling 6mo old it overbearing heat. My problem since about 40k, the vehicle is IMPOSSIBLE to turn at low speeds. It's like a complete workout just to turn the grocery wagon into the parking lot. My wife almost hit another car while she was slowly turning into the parking lot one day because it was so hard to turn, her hand slipped. Take it to GM and they tell me "well we can feel it being difficult but our "computer" says that everything is in working order. So here's what we can do, start with a power steering flush and we'll go from there." I went on with the flush which was pointless and cost a fortune. STILL have the problem and they basically say well we don't really know how to fix it now unless you want to pay to replace everything.
    Second problem, at about 2,000 RPM the vehicle vibrates. Every time you start driving and it passes the 2,000rpm mark, it sends a big buzz through to every passenger. Its embarrassing almost to have a client with me (real estate agent) and the car is sending a shock through to their butt. It makes stuff in the cup holders rattle and its unpleasant. So I point it out at the GM dealership when it was there for my power steering issue. They say "our mechanic WAS able to duplicate the vibration you felt but its nothing major and won't become a mechanical issue in the future." I DON'T CARE, I'm paying you to repair it so repair it. I take it back and they say that they aren't sure where to begin with the issue. So I still have a car the will make your a** go numb from vibrations after a days worth of traffic if I don't end up wrecking it because it feels like it doesn't have any power steering. I am very disappointed with the Acadia and how GM has approached two very clear problems that I have confidently taken the vehicle in with for them to repair. I also own an 08 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ and I love it. Deal with this same service dept. all the time, for the past 5 years and they have really let me down with the Acadia, as the Acadia itself has let me down. And worn out my arms from trying to turn it in town.
    edited September 2011
    I can feel your pain. My 08 Acadia at 47,000 miles, busted water pump and lost all coolant from front passenger side. It sounds exactly like your problem and I believe it cost myself about $300... Before towing costs because it overheated and became impossible to drive even 10 feet, leaving my newborn and I stranded in scorching heat. It really is a piece of work...
    chadfromftown,
    I apologize for your in convenience. Have the concerns been addressed and fixed? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Unfortunately, no they have not been fixed. Although the GM service dept. did address them. The answer I got is that the vibration is not a big deal, mechanically and the steering "does seem stiff, so let's try the flush" I tried a PS flush and it did not help. I also informed them of it and I was told that there isn't anything else to do.
    skippywizzer,
    Please let me know what happens at your dealer. Feel free to email me with any question comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • angell9208angell9208 Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently having the same problem with a used 2007 Acadia purchased in December 2010 from CarMax and of course Carmax, my MaxCare extended warranty and GM are all denying the claim because of my lack of receipts prior to my owning the vehicle...now does that make sense. Really it's just a cope out and all these posts from various Acadia owners with the same issues just prove that this is a serious Acadia defect.
    Okay, just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with the dealer service manager. As expected, they cannot replicate the problem. However, I did appreciate his honesty. He told me he did not consider my car fixed, even though he cannot get it to go into the fault codes again and it is presently working fine at this time. He did tell me they had a scanner on it for days and did go over the location of every electrical circuit and wiring harness with GMC engineering to see if a short developed anywhere but nothing was located. I can't wait to go pick it up tomorrow morning because I'm sure the $$$ is going to be obscene!!!
    Who wants to take bets on the problem coming back next week when I'm on my 650 mile trip on I-95 to NC with the family!!!
  • skippywizzerskippywizzer Member Posts: 6
    ttully, you nailed it!! Water pump. Covered under warranty and dealer gave me an Enclave for a loaner. Not sure if that was a good thing or not. That Enclave is nice. I have to admit, even though my faith in GM and Made in America is tarnished, the dealer I have been using has been really nice and very good. But I will never own another vehicle with a damn sunroof. Didn't want it to begin with but I bought at the end of the model year and had to take what was left.
    Christina, so far so good. If anything otherwise, I'll let you know.
    Thanks
    skippywizzer,
    Glad to hear things have been going well. Thank you for the update!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    chadfromftown,
    Can you please email me with your contact information, VIN, a detailed description of your experience as well as your dealer information? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to speaking with you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    angell9208,

Do you currently have a case set up with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me your case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • tuffsubjecttuffsubject Member Posts: 20
    Driver's side headlight just went out, 66K miles. I was all prepared for another $170+ charge and took it to the dealer to have it replaced. They were done in 15 minutes! Apparently the driver side headlight is a quickie, and it's only the passenger side headlight that requires the big tear-down for access.

Still disappointed that both headlights have had such short lives. I think GM needs to consider making use of LED technology to make the lighting more reliable.
  • simplylovely74simplylovely74 Member Posts: 2
    Can you please email me or post where you found the recall for this.....I have scoured the internet for it and would love to have that information in hand when I go to my dealer.

Thanks

[email protected]
  • cwolf75cwolf75 Member Posts: 6
  • javannessjavanness Member Posts: 2
    I, too, have had multiple issues with my Acadia. Mine is a MY2008 with 75,000 miles on it. I bought it used in Feb., 2009 with about 22,000 miles on it. I travel quite a bit, so I have it serviced regularly and take good care of it.

The car just started shutting down this morning while I was waiting in line to drop my daughter off at school. As soon as I'd stopped in the line, my traction control light came on and told me it was off, then I felt a crazy vibration in the brake pedal and the check engine light came on. I immediately turned toward a parking space (thank God I was in a parking lot & not on the road somewhere), and it had barely enough power to make it into the spot, so I turned it off as soon as I got out of everyone's way. Did not even try to start it again for fear of utter embarrassment. Looked under the car after walking my daughter into school and saw a leak...smelled like antifreeze.

Before this incident, I have had to replace the headlight twice and had the dealership look at it for a horrible popping noise that happens when I turn the wheel hard to the right (they did not fix because they said it wasn't that big of an issue & wouldn't be covered under power train warranty). I've also had new tires put on it & had the brake pads and rotors replaced because of a terrible wobbling in the steering wheel when I'd put on brakes. Seemed to fix it for a while, but now it's starting to do it again, and I'm wondering if I could have a steering issue after reading all of the posts on this forum. The DVD player only works on every third Sunday when the sun is shining through the passenger side window just right—so glad I paid extra for that and I didn't get any wireless headphones with it.

It is amazing to me that our US car manufacturers can't put better quality controls than they have into place. My post is the 1,316th! The sad thing is that I was so happy that I'd found the car that fit our traveling family exactly right, and now I worry that we won't be safe on the road. Car is being towed to the dealership now, so I guess we'll see what happens. Looks like all of the Acadias are :lemon: .
  • homewardhomeward Member Posts: 3
    2007 Acadia --- Car lost power steering after going thru a puddle --- passed thru a small puddle and was going to make a left turn --into traffic - and I lost the power steering - was unable to make the turn and started heading toward a fence.
    This has happen now several times -- but this was by far the worst experience.
    Last year the "shield" was put on the car -- without asking--- but the shield still does not seem to prevent the loss of steering -- the dealer claims its only a momentary loss -- actual it is a total loss of steering.
    There does not seem to be any recourse for this problem. What can be done? To whom can I raise this issue.
    I have noticed on other forums both Acadia & Outlook owners have experienced this same problem.
    I have notified the NHTSA but it is only filed as a complaint --- no remedy.

Any suggestions???

Thanks
  • sybermansyberman Member Posts: 5
    Purchased new Acadia in June 2010. I absolutely love the car. But one problem that's destroying my love affair with it and GM.

The other day I received warning message that the rear view camera was inop. Walked to back of car and noticed camera was out of holding socket and saw it was dangling behind the bumper.

Contacted my dealer and they said it would cost up to $400 to put it back in because it needs a special access tool. I believe the camera is not a luxury but a life saver especially for little kids on trikes. I can't afford the $400. But that's not the real issue. The issue is the principle. Why gouge for $400 on such a simple but vital fix?

The Acadia's VIN # is 1gklvnedxaj228823
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    I don't understand why the bumper to bumper warranty wouldn't cover this unless you are over the mileage limit.
    When I took it into my dealer for the assessment the car was only 8 months old (purchased in late June of 2010) with 8,500 miles on it. Seven months later I'm at 15,000. The dealer simply told me I had to pay almost $400 to have it put back in place. I thought it was way too much for a simple job but at that time I just shrugged my shoulders, walked away and thought well, 'this is the new Government Motors (GM). "

I've been a GM owner for 30 years (Suburbans, Vans, Tahoe and now Acadia). I was also a GM shareholder before the bankruptcy -- losing all of my stock value. Regardless, I have always loved GM and have had great service.

A number of years ago, three days before Christmas, my Suburban blew a rod and destroyed the engine. I had a holiday road trip scheduled with my wife and seven kids to vist the grandparents 300 miles away. We thought for sure we would have to cancel the trip.

The dealer told us the oil pump was defective and as thus we didn't have to pay for the engine replacement. Knowing that we had an urgency, he pulled off a miracle. Special ordered the engine, it arrived the next day and had the auto ready to go Christmas Eve morning -- just in time to leave as scheduled.

I've told this story to hundreds of people. As such, I have been a loyal customer. for all of these years.

Now, with the bankruptcy, my loss of stock value and the lack of response of the dealer here relating to simply screwing the camera back in its housing, I'm thinking there's nothing I can do to make it right. No one seems to care nor be responsible.

I guess this is part two of the screw job (no puns intended). I've lost faith in GM and will probably never by a car from them again. The new Ford Explorers are looking pretty attractive. And, Ford didn't need a government bailout. The people there have to earn money the good old fashioned way --through quality and service.

As we all know, there is little incentive for excellence in a government run organization. People just get by with little or no incentive to serve. It's just a job and customers seem to be a bother in that we seem to break up the boredom of their day with problems they don't want to deal with.
  • donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    Try another dealer? And this would be a good time for one of the eager beaver GM Customer Service reps that patrol these sites to help out.
    syberman,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please send me your VIN and current mileage? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina

My vin is 1GKLVNEDXAJ228823

The current mileage is 15,057

Thank You
  • bdwallerbdwaller Member Posts: 3
    Back again with a follow-up.

Nice of the dealer tech not to check for anything like nails in the tire when the pressure was low at the last service call, which turned out to be the case. When tire went low I took the poor Acadia to Goodyear and got that problem fixed properly the first time.

So the power steering sound keeps getting louder and now the truck makes odd noises while idling. I should take it in but we need the truck while we're on call to rush in for my wife going into labor.

We have a complaint case number with GMC (71-986198005). So far the GMC rep at the call center has lied to me twice. First was to tell me the area representative would contact me within 48 hours. A couple weeks later and still no call from this person and no response to my voice mails.

So I call in again and I'm told the case has been referred to another group with GMC and that they'll contact me within 48 hours. Well over a week and not a sign of life. I tried calling the number I was given. Unless you know which specific group you've been sent to there's no escaping the automated system.

This morning a colleague tells me she's considering the Acadia because mine looks so nice. I did the right thing and told her to get a more reliable make.

Our son is due by next Wednesday. We'll have more help around the house and will be able to go out and find someone to trade this nice looking 22K mile SUV to without having to haul all the children with us.

You can bet we won't be trading for a GMC or any other GM product after this. Who needs the hassle of such poor customer service and product?

Nissan and Volvo are looking like very strong contenders for our money.
    homeward,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. I would encourage you to get a second opinion. By chance, have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
  • risababarisababa Member Posts: 1
    I have read the posts on this forum. I'm posting to tell you that not all GMC dealers are bad. I have had the leaking, headlamps and power steering problems described here in this forum. The difference is that my dealer, Wiesner of Huntsville, TX, has accommodated all of my issues. The leak first appeared after 2 years (the first time it has been left out of the garage for any extended time). I had to push, but when it came down to it they fixed it and it took 2 attempts. Lynn in the service department called me with regular updates. They provided a loaner car. This dealer is in a small town and over 1 hour away from me. Yes it is a pain to get up there but it is worth it. They take care of their customers and I WILL be a repeat customer. I just experienced the power steering locking up at 63,000. They replaced the part and are treating it as if it is under warranty and I'm paying the deductible. Just wanted to let everybody know that there are "GOOD HONEST DEALERS".
    risababa,

Glad to hear your dealership has taken care of you! Thank you for sharing your experience!

javanness,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Please keep me updated on your progress at the dealer. I look forward to working with you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • seahawk02seahawk02 Member Posts: 3
    I am so frustrated right now. Mainly at myself for not reading all of these posts BEFORE I bought my car. I have not even had my car a year and they have already replaced the brakes (done at 7100 miles) and now the steering column at 13k miles. I bought the car because I wanted something safer to drive my baby around in. How safe is it when the brakes go bad and now the steering??? I will NEVER recommend anyone buy the Acadia!!! it has been a true disappointment.
  • traci4traci4 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a 2008 Acadia brand new and have had so many problems with it. We needed to replace the engine at 34,000 miles and my transmission went at 65,000 miles. Thankfully, they were covered under warranty but a brand new car should not have these problems!!! The front passenger headlight blew at 60,000 miles and that cost $150 to replace!!! We have had the front and back brakes replaced several times also. I was hoping this car would last us many many more miles but I may need to get rid of it when the warranty is up. I just cannot trust it will not have any more issues. I need to say I LOVE the inside and all of the room for my 3 kids. It is just disappointing that it has had engine and transmission problems at such low mileage.
  • jwachsmanjwachsman Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I bought my new 2011 Acadia during the last week of June, and the engine went completely out four weeks ago. I was shocked that the engine would fail in a car with less than 10,000 miles. It's still in the shop, and GMC will not authorize the dealer that sold me the car to put a new engine in it (even though the dealer's head mechanic advocated for a replacement). GMC is making the dealer's service department rebuild my engine. Apparently, GMC's cost analysis determined that they can save a buck by going that route. THIS is service. I have paid $45,000 for a brand new car that now has a "rebuilt" engine. I would advise anyone who has this product to get rid of the Acadia as soon as possible. Obviously, GMC does not stand behind their products.
    The exact thing happened to me but the engine blew three weeks after I got the Acadia The dealer replaced the burned out engine with a new one. It took only a week. If I would have had to go with a rebuilt engine I would have been pretty upset.

A number of years ago the same thing happened to me with a brand new $80,000 Mercedes. I had the car for two weeks and the oil pump failed. The dealer did a viscosity test on the oil and claimed it was my fault because i didn't change the oil (after two weeks?).

Mercedes wanted me to pay for the entire engine replacement.

To make a long story short, I had a graphic designer draw up a full page newspaper ad for our local paper inviting the public to help me smash the car, in front of the dealership, with a sledge hammer.

I gave Mercedes one week to replace the engine at their cost or I would publish the ad. I sent the ad to the Mercedes corporate headquarters in New Jersey.

At first, Mercedes threatened to sue me if I defaced the Mercedes logo (hood ornament). Some slick Mercedes lawyer thought that would work.

I told them to stuff it. I also reminded them that the event would probably draw international media. Imagine angry people smashing a new $80,000 Mercedes. What a great media event for TV news!

The night of the publishing deadline Mercedes backed down and paid for the new engine plus additional cash for my inconvenience.

If you don't get satisfaction that is due you, I would suggest that you take a play out of my playbook.

And, yes, I would have published and held the event. What good is an engineless car. Plus, I paid cash for it so a bank couldn't have stopped me.

Good luck. Every experience I have had with GM making good on their word has been fantastic. I hope they do you justice. A rebuilt engine in a new car is an insult.
  • anakleon75anakleon75 Member Posts: 23
    Sad to hear for ur Acadia!! Mine is 2011/SLT1 bought and drive out from dealer last Sep 01/2010. Yes, steering wheel was repaired after 4months of driving it. Thanks, to date i've got 15,000 + miles on it and haven't had a bad experience esp engine, brakes & tranny. My mpg 19 to 21. What is the main cause of the engine failure?? Appreciate your post and i will keep on monitoring my acadia for updates. Goodluck to ur new engine.
    Other than the failed engine and the rear view camera coming dislodged, the car has been great. As i said, the engine was promptly replaced. The cause of the engine failure was somehow a metal burr from manufacturing was left somewhere in the engine and caused its failure.

For some reason I really like my 2010 Acadia purchased in June 2010 -- fully equipped. I want to buy one for everyone in my family.

This site is monitored by GM customer service reps and I would guess that you will be shortly contacted. They'll try to make it good for you. If not, let me know. I know how to write full page newspaper ads inviting people to a new car thrashing with a sledgehammer. I wasn't bluffing. If Mercedes wouldn't have come up to the plate to rectify the wrong, that new car being trashed by angry consumers would have been all over the news.
    anakleon75,
    Feel free to email me if you have any questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    jwachsman,
    Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? If not, I would definitely recommend doing so. Please feel free to email me with your information.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    jwachsman,
    Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? If not, I would definitely recommend doing so. Please feel free to email me with your information.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    traci4,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? What did you dealer say about the situation? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • abfab1211abfab1211 Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem several times. I took it to the dealership multiple times and they couldn't replicate it. I replaced the air filter (I know that sounds stupid) and haven't had the problem since then. The techs never got an error code that they could identify to fix the problem. I don't know if this helps but it might not hurt.
    syberman,
    I know you were going to the dealer to have them take a look at the camera, what's going on with that? I look forward to your update.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    seahawk02,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? What is your VIN? Please feel free to email me directly. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • seahawk02seahawk02 Member Posts: 3
    Christina,

No I have not spoken to GM Customer Assistance, only dealt with my dealership so far. Can you give me their number?
    My VIN is 1GKKRPED1BJ139171.
    I am scheduled to take my car in tomorrow and leave it for 2 days while they replace the brake pads for the 3rd time and replace the steering column and hose for the 1st time. It is VERY inconvenient to have to take a BRAND NEW car into the shop and leave it for a few days. I mean, isn't that why we buy new cars??? So they won't have problems and have to be in the shop?

Thanks for contacting me.
    Christy
    seahawk02 (Christy),
    Thank you for your update. I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. You can either call them yourself, or I can set up a case for you. Their number is in your owners’ manual or I can provide you with it via email. If you would like me to set up a case just email me your complete contact information including mailing address, current mileage, involved dealer, and VIN as well. :) I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I am sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to set up a case for you. Please feel free to contact Christina by email with your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and dealer name for more assistance. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • homewardhomeward Member Posts: 3
    Christina@GM Customer Service

How do I contact you with further information re: 2007 Acadia with steering failure??

Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just click on her name. :shades:
  • 2zmax2zmax Member Posts: 140
    Hi jwachman
    I'm sorry this happened to you, especially that it just happened to me as well!!!
    My wife's 2011 Acadia, with just 10,000 miles just blew the engine today!
    Timing chain broke when she was on the highway doing 65! She lost breaking and steering and barely got to the side of the road without being hit. She had our kids in the car with her! Needless to say, I am extremely upset that this 33K+ brand new car just blown its engine, and put my family in peril and danger! Got it towed to the dealership, they told me it would take up to 2 weeks to fix it. But I don't want it fixed, I want this pile of garbage off my hands. I can't believe the terrible quality that GMC is putting out these days, my 2007 huyndai had zero problems, and I though I was buying a good quality vehicle, when I got the Acadia. Nope, bad mistake. I hope that they at least put a new engine in this junker. If not, I would expect GM to give me my money back and take this piece of junk back to the dumpster, where it belongs!
    Ok enough venting, sorry for the rant, I am so done with GM. I have a 2007 Silverado, with no problems, but that was before the GM union thugs got bailed out by Obama and started making crap for cars. No MORE GM for me or any of my friends or family, I will tell everyone about this and send them to this forum to see how crappy the Acadia really is.
    I was going to get a 2012 Silverado, but after reading all the problems people are having with the 2011 Silverado, I would never buy another one. GM quality went to pot after they got bailed out, no insentive to compete any more.
    I'm going to Toyota or Huyndai, no more GM!
    :mad: