Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• 455wilson455wilson Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    I purchased my Acadia Dec. 2008. Wasn't long before the whining noise started. My dealership said the sound was normal. :0 Wasn't until I had new tires put on it 12 months ago that it was found same issue as the rest of the posts have had. $1000 to repair. Well guess what? It is doing it again. Oh, the repairman will work with me on it.......I hate it. I just HATE IT. Why did GMC not have a recall on this issue so hard working folks who buy American cars can feel protected and good about buying MADE IN AMERICA. Has anyone had the clip holding the arm rest together to break yet? It is a piece of plastic. Argh.....Also, the painted knobs for turning on AC etc are losing the paint. My last car I had 11 years and all knobs were in perfect condition paint and all. I am so disappointed in my purchase. Not buying GMC again. Nobody cares is what gets me the most. Thanks for allowing me to vent.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning 455wilson,

We understand your frustrations with your Acadia and are sorry that you are not currently satisfied. If we can look into this further with you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • acadiafanacadiafan Member Posts: 13
    I got mine put on. They make a huge difference and like you said too as an added bonus they look better.
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    Easy fix. Problem solved. :shades:
  • footetribefootetribe Member Posts: 1
    2007 acadia 3rd time brake system failure
    Even though dealer replaced brakes 3 months ago
    New brakes and rotors now same warning
    Losing power steering in heavy rain almost
    Hit a telephone pole as it happened turning
    A corner Law suit waiting to happen when
    The power steering loss causes an accident next time
    Never have had such a peice of junk a car
    That is so unreliable you enter every day and
    Hope it starts and stays running! Oh and the steering column ( that has already been replaced)
    Is clunking again. My warranty is over I wish I kept
    My suburban at Least that was reliable . I need
    Resolution I will probably be trading it in for a non GM
    Vehicle and I just talked 2 friends out of brand new Acadias.
    Sorry .
  • gerald2coogerald2coo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Acadia w/ 90k. Running just fine, tried to start it about midday after a slow but steady rain. Wouldn't start. Tried to jump it, wouldn't jump. I disconnected battery, removed the fuse for BCM and checked that, ( fuse was ok). After 20 minutes with the battery disconnected, I re connected battery and was able to jump start it. Turned it off, and it continued to run for maybe 20 to 30 seconds. Finally spit and sputtered and died. I keep finding info regarding water leaking in (not sure where) and getting into the:

A. fuse box,
    or
    B. relay box,
    or
    C. BCM.

Not sure if this is the problem, but the indicators point that direction.
    Is there any light that can be shed on this?
    As everyone else on forums, I'm kind of in a jam.
    Thanks
    Good morning footetribe,
    We're sorry to hear about the brake troubles you've been having with your Acadia. If we can look into this further with you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Good morning gerald2coo,

We hope you get some excellent advice from other members of Edmunds (unfortunately I am very limited in my ability to troubleshoot vehicle concerns); if you decide upon working with a dealership and would like for us to check into the situation further, we can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com

• cyrusj24cyrusj24 Member Posts: 1
    Why does the master cylinder seem to be failing on multiple Acadia's but GMC has yet to do a recall. It seems to me that more and more people are having this problem. Had to have mine 2008 towed this morning due to the same issue. It happens to be 1k miles outside of the bumper to Bumper warranty how convienent.
    cyrusj24,

We're sorry that you had to get towed over to the dealership! Have you heard any news on this? If you would like for us to check into this further with you and your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• moroccmorocc Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for sharing your challenges. We bought our 2008 Acadia about a year and a half ago. There's been a lot of small things not so pleased with but recently had to spend $800.00 for a brake master cylinder and booster to fix symptoms such as stabilitron not active, brakes need serviced, tire monitoring messages and icons along with irritating annunciator sounds. The problem also rendered the cruise control inoperative. It's my wifes' car and she said the braking still feels not right. The vehicle only has less than 60,000 miles on it. Neither of us likes the way it accellerates especially if your making a turn onto a road, the steering wheel wants to pull right or left. it's a very strange feeling in the steering wheel. It even occurs accelerating straight forward if you get on it a little, although not to the extent noticed when turning onto a road. To be honest when we purchased the Acadia we reallyreliable wanted to by the GMC Envoy after having much success with a 1999 Envoy with 207,000 miles which just now lost its transmission. The only problems we had in our 9 yrs and 175,000 miles was a starter, a fuel pump(800.00),and an AC issue(1400.00). About 2500.00 in that timeI consider pretty darn good. We wanted to support an american auto manufacturer so we went with the Acadia. But I'll tell you that I think we're just going with old reliable nxt time, a Honda product. Our Civic has been awesome for 5 yrs 115,000 miles with no needs but regular oil changes and tires, no problems at all.
    Forgot to tell you that we also are not pleased with how the letters,etc..., are wearing away and becoming illegible on our control panel as well, unacceptable.
    I bought my 2008 GMC Acadia used from a dealership about 1 1/2 years ago. Can anyone tell me if those vehicles are under warranty for 5 years or 100,000 miles, because mI just paid over $800.00 for a master cylinder and booster at the dealership?
    morocc,

We're sorry to hear that after your recent repairs the brake concern you had is not resolved. If we can look into this further with you and your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• lovegmc1lovegmc1 Member Posts: 37
    What is the wearing away? I've seen that before, but not on mine, and am a little nervous it might start eventually
  • kcajax79kcajax79 Member Posts: 2
    OK, so i have a 2007 model. First mistake was buying first year model, second was buying the Acadia. I just had to have the A/C evaporator replaced, $1500 for a piece that cost $150 to buy....nice GMC. Other problems I have had....Power Steering unit had to be replaced; numerous water leaks; have a crack in the rear light cover, but it cost $250 to fix b/c on this car you cant replace just the cover, the whole unit has to come out (genius); there has been a knocking sound that occurs whenever i accelerate when i first start the car usually between 3-7 mph on acceleration (service center has never 'duplicated the sound); A/C compressor failed; radiator failed.....needless to say i cant recommend this car to anyone, but at least i know there are those out there who feel my pain..... It is nice to vent after 5 years of headaches
    kcajax79,
    We're sorry to hear that you've had so many difficulties with your Acadia. If you wanted for us to check into this further please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).
  • buddy73buddy73 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2007 GMC Acadia about a year ago with about 50000 miles on it and what a piece of junk it is. To date I had to replace the timing chain, water pump, and just today I picked it up from getting the transmission rebuilt which cost me $3900. Now the steering is making a noise when I turn. Not sure why GM is doing nothing to help with the transmission issues everyone on here is having but I will never buy a GM product again.
  • thewekkinsthewekkins Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2007 Acadia in December of 2009. Biggest mistake of our lives. Our sunroofs leaked so bad that it caused what damage to our Fuse block. Had to have the entire thing replaced & pay for new drains for the sunroofs. Then it leaked agin. Took it back. This was last year same month, October. We told the dealership then that the transmission was making noise. They said there is nothing wrong, nothing to worry about. GMC did not cover the cost of the damage because the dealership stated the drains were clogged. We now have major water damage on the inside. Now one year later check engine light came on, had it towed to the dealership to ensure we did not cause anymore damage & now the transmission value is no good. We have a loud knocking noise in the motor. The Acadia will not go more than 10 mph. Our power steering pump makes noise. I think we are going to hire an attorney to help us resolve issues associated with this vehicle. They are not worth a penny and I'm tired of hearing "we are so so for your problems with this vehicle" Watch dealerships too because they dont give you paperwork after servicing your vehicle. So you look like a liar to GMC when you are trying to resolve this problems with your vehicle. We got smart and took the vehicle other places prior to bring to GMC Dealership to have proof because they refuse to admit that the Acadia is no good and has no business on the road.
    buddy73 and thewekkins,

If you would like for us to check in on these situations with your dealerships, please email us more information at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealer).

• cindy60cindy60 Member Posts: 9
    Sorry to break the news but steering pump is next if it is making that sound. The sunroof leaking was a manufacturing F-up. Got mine fixed after months of a flooding car. The rest of the issues been there done that. It sucks because I really do love my 2007 but it is a lemon! And we still have one yr of payments on it!!
  • 2008acadia2008acadia Member Posts: 15
    called the local dealer to get the new bezels ordered. The cost will be $123
    Was that approximately what you paid?
    Just curious....
  • acadiafanacadiafan Member Posts: 13
    I paid 0$ for them! There is a Technical Service Bulletin out (TSB) so you shouldn't have to pay anything for them!
  • vudvud Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 2007 Acadia and I think I've had every problem listed above from drivetrain breaking to steering squeaks and timing belts while under warranty. I finally had the roof leaking problem but AFTER the warranty was up so I had to shell out hundreds $$ for a manufacturing screw up by GMC!

Now I've got the check engine light and the code says cylinder 2 misfire. I'm worried this is a big repair... In which case I'm done with GMC.
    Now if only the service department would answer the phone during the day. :(
    Question: my 2008 Acadia has a TSB for the shiny bezels on the vents and shifter area to replace them with black bezels.

My dealer wants me to pay $123.xx for mine, yet the other acadia owners in this forum have paid $0.

What is the true answer to the TSB question?
    Do I need to pay for my new black bezels? The glare is dangerous and I want it fixed for safety reasons.

Thanks.
    Question: my 2008 Acadia has a TSB for the shiny bezels on the vents and shifter area to replace them with black bezels due to the glare problems causing a driving hazard.

My dealer wants me to pay $123.xx for mine, yet the other acadia owners in this forum have paid $0.

What is the true answer to the TSB question?
    Do I need to pay for my new black bezels? The glare is dangerous and I want it fixed for safety reasons.

Thanks.
    Have you had any word on what needs to be done with your Acadia, vud? If you want for us to check into this further, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, summary of the situation, last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Good morning 2008acadia,

A TSB is a document that outlines the procedures to take to remedy a particular vehicle concern and is written with our GM-certified technicians in mind. Whether or not a procedure is performed at cost to a customer depends on the warranty status of the vehicle. As the chrome is a non-powertrain issue, and as your Acadia is a 2008 model and therefore out of the time frame for the bumper-to-bumper warranty (3 years/36,000 miles), this would not be covered by warranty.

If you would like information on the warranties still in effect on your vehicle, please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com and we will be happy to get that for you.

• safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    08-01-38-0073.

I had this done recently, this is a no charge deal. :)
    Nothing has ever been covered by the warranty. Every repair has been at a cost to me.
  • octoberblueoctoberblue Member Posts: 6
    We thought the same thing with the TSB number given to our dealer and they advised us that NOT enough Acadia owners have complained about the same issue to warrant a free exchange. They wanted us to pay and I do think that is fair we have to pay for their flaw in the vehicle especially one that is so dangerous.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    A TSB is issued by GM to their dealerships to keep them aware that there are issues where enough owners have complained that they have made an effort to correct the problem or have justification to "ignore" the problem. While under the bumper to bumper 36month/36,000 mile factory warranty they will perform the repair at no charge. However, you are on your own after that period.

Unfair as it may seem there are instances where the dealer goes to bat for their customer an often gets the repair done for free or heavily discounted. That doesn't often happen but I've seen it done before. Course you do need to have some kind of relationship with the dealer whether personally knowing the owner, GM, GSM, or service manager.
    I bought my 2008 Acadia new (first new car I've ever owned) What a mistake. It has had the front stabilizer bars replaced, the power steering pump replaced and the rack & pinion steering gears were replaced. All of these repairs were not covered by the warranty and it has been expensive to keep it running. And to add insult to injury from day one, water was coming in near the drivers feet when it rained and the moisture would kill the engine somehow, and it was in for repairs many many times until they got that fixed. Latest update, I went in to get new tires and the technician said there is a bad noise coming from the drive train area, so that must be the source of the noise I've been hearing (LOUD). I thought a bearing was going out, yet it seems to be the rear differential. Now my GMC dealership, who has done ALL of my repairs for many thousands of dollars, wants $123 to replace the dangerously shiny bezels on the vents and shifter. I thought the TSB would warrant this one little repair to be covered... but again they will only do it AT MY EXPENSE.
  • plouieplouie Member Posts: 2
    I had this bulletin performed today. No cost, but I understand that was because the car is still in warranty. The Service Mgr. at my dealership had not heard of the bulletin, but when I gave him the TSB number (Thanks to this forum!) I had no hassle and he had the parts in in three days. The glare was such a significant problem for me that I probably would have considered paying if necessary.

If I may, a general reflection on this whole discussion: Everyone reacts differently to visual stimuli. My son has an Acadia, and says that the glare is only an occasional minor annoyance. He's in his 40s. I on the other hand have eyes that are in their 70s. If you haven't found this out yet, you will: Eyes lose their ability to rapidly adjust to changing light as you age, and some individuals may experience it at any age. In my case, the glare was actually painful and there were times when I had to drive with my hand in front of the glare in order to safely see the road. Sunglasses helped with the glare but made it hard to see the road after my eyes tried to accomodate to the bright light. I was just about ready to try painting the vents black. Different strokes, I guess, but let's understand that what the other person thinks is a product of how his or her body reacts.

I've got to add that I was led to this forum by a Google search on the glare problem, not because I have any other complaints about the vehicle. 2012 Denali, 7 months old, 9K+ miles, 20+mpg average with a fair amount of city driving. Other than a minor door misadjustment and the present subjective issue, I have not had one warranty complaint. Dare I say it in this Hotbed of Hate Acadia -- I love this car. It has exceeded every expectation of quality and usefulness I had for it. I just counted and I have owned 18 or so cars,
    many of them new, from the US Big Three and AMG (talk about a disaster!), Asia, and Europe, (no Yugo!) and I perceive this to be the best of the lot.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe my time will come. If it does, I'll be back.
    We're glad to hear that you've been pleased with your Acadia, plouie, and wish you many more happy miles! If anything should ever come up where you wanted to get in touch with us about a vehicle concern, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com

• plouieplouie Member Posts: 2
    Sarah, please add Lambert Buick/GMC in Cuyahoga Falls, OH to your list of good guys. From a painless pricing and buying experience to this latest (and only) service, they have been a pleasure to work with!

Paul
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please visit Dealer Ratings and Reviews and fill out a review. Thanks!
    Air removed solved thus far my steering problem. I paid for it. $260. Now there is a popping noise in my sterring colume. Dealer says it is a strut mount pin? Should a 55,000 mile 2008 Acadia have this issue? Also, Drive belt is being replaced. Total repair cost: $570 Seems like GMC would cover the cost of the strut issue as it is a common repair here on the board.
  • kendra78kendra78 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Acadia in 2008. We have had a couple of minor problems with stabilitrak senors and the steering column wining. Nothing too major. But for the last YEAR we have had no radio. Well we have part of a radio. It sounds like the only part that works is the high pitched tweeter part. Also we have no blinker sounds or Onstar. The dispaly on the radio went out as well. After a whole year we have figured out that sometimes the sound returns if it is really dry outside with no moisture and we will all rejoice when we get to listen to the radio for a day. This is only possible because I have preset stations on my radio and can push a button for the station we want to hear(beause you can't tell what station it is on with the display not working). If it is foggy, damp or raining you can hang it up, no sound at all. I commute to school an hour away and it it so freaking quiet i want to scream. I used to enjoy listening to my lecture notes on the way to school. The dealership I took it to has no idea what is wrong and wants to charge me several hundred dollars in labor to "try to figure it out". SO chances are several hundred dollars later I still will not have a radio. Is there a recall or anything out there because I have googled it and a ton of people are having this problem too. IT is sad that I want to trade in an entire vehicle just because my radio is broken. Please help. Thanks!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello kendra78,

We're sorry to hear that you are so frustrated with your Acadia. If you would like for us to follow up on your appointment with your dealership for you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealership, and a summary of the situation).

• flanman04flanman04 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Acadia, with 70,000 miles. I have replaced the rotors twice, and machined down twice and replaced the pads 4 times, I dropped it off this morning to have brakes fixed again. This is due to a real bad shake in the steering wheel while pressing the brakes. Dealer tells me that this is not a common occurrence with the Acadia? Has anyone else gone through this? Very dissatisfied with this vehicle.
    Hello flanman04,

If you had wanted for us to check into the brake concerns you've been having, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• kelickelic Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2010 Acadia about 3 months ago...waited sooo long to get this vehicle after my divorce and this being my first "big" purchase on my own, well, needless to say what a mistake I made. I bought it at the end of July 2012 and the first week in October 2012 I noticed I had a leak. To the shop I go, where the mechanic tells me I need to go over to the Critz GMC building...all the way across town...because I have a transmission leak AND an oil leak. So, in a panic and about to cry I go across town to find out what is wrong. Customer service wisks me in tells me they will take care of everything not to worry and hands me keys to a rental car and tells me they will call me tomorrow. In a tizzy I drove home...a week later I picked up my acadia and felt alittle better because this was covered under my powertrain warranty, well the next day all of my ABS lights came on and loud dinging started and I drove slowly BACK across town and in another panic I went to the GMC place and was told the mechanic had "accidently" pinched my brake line up in between things when he was replacing everything else, and since it was their fault they would fix this for me....how sweet of them!!! So home I go again with another rental, 3 days later I returned to pick up my Acadia and went on my merry way AGAIN, 2 days later I heard an awful noise when I would turn my wheel to the right, and noticed AGAIN a leak under my truck. BACK to the GMC place I go and at this time I was told my powersteering "box" needed replacing and this was NOT covered under my power train warranty and that it would cost me "hmmm about 1500 bucks" I immediately started crying not knowing what in the world to do, who to call or who to ask to help me...single mother of 3...no boyfriend, no mechanic friends...JUST ME!! I take my truck home and call back to the place I had originally bought the truck from, well they wanted to make a deal with me and charge me only 1000 bucks instead of 1500. I paid 1000 out of pocket to fix this truck, and this week the jerking and leak has now shown back up again...a 2010 should not be having these type problems right??? Nobody seems to want to help me, they just blow me off or talk to me like I am stupid...well I am not stupid, my previous truch was a GMC yukon, which I absolutely loved and never had any problems with, still runs great with almost 189,000 miles on it...what in the world...
  • timaanerudtimaanerud Member Posts: 1
    I bought my GMC Acadia in Fairbanks, AK in 2011 while stationed there with the USAF. Sure enough we got orders to England soon thereafter. Does anyone know if there is someone in the UK who will honor the extended warranty I purchased? Thanks

Tim
    Belt changed and strut mount....$622. Cranked the next morning and guess what? Same noise from steering colume and squeaking sound in front of engine remains. $622 for repairs I feel like were not needed since I came home with the same problem.

Does anyone know the Service Bulletin # for strut mounts. My dealer acts if they have no knowledge of Steering issues or mount. I am stuck and they could careless. I will try selling and buying another car. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Paint on tab you press for ac, position of blowing, etc. Speed adjustments also for fan to the far left arrows pointing up and down, paint as completely come off and now I have a green spot. Driver side door support has broken. I pointed this out to the service manager on the loaner he allowed me to use. He hadn't noticed and would get that fixed asap less than 3000 miles.
  • flanman04flanman04 Member Posts: 2
    No way, stay away from this vehicle, way too many problems to list here. I have a 2007 and has been in the shop over 40 times for all the problems. I would hate for you to be as frustrated as I have been.
    We're sorry that you're encountering these difficulties with your Acadia, kelic. If we can look into this further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the names of your dealerships).

• mike3290mike3290 Member Posts: 7
    Sarah,
    We too have had to replace our transmission because of the wave plate. Ours quit on a steep hill and I had to direct traffic until a help arrived!
  • djduplaindjduplain Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my Denali 7/9/2012, and had it back to the dealer on 7/12/2012 for obvious paint issues on the molding. Where the molding contacts the body, the paint obviously rubs off fairly quickly -- within days of manufacture.

1. The dealer took pictures and sent them to General Motors.
    2. GM gave it to their engineering.
    3. Engineering came back and said that they know they have a problem but if they paint it will not match.
    4. The dealer offered to paint it anyway.
    5. The paint does not match.
    6. GM will not do anything more for me at this point.
    7. My case is in arbitration.
    8. I've looked multiple Denali's at multiple dealerships -- this issue is not in any way unique to my vehicle, literally every Denali I've inspected has this issue.
    9. My dealer has also explained that every Acadia Denali of my model year/class has come in with similar issues.

What are my next steps here?

Background: I'm a loyal GM buyer -- I've been buying and driving GM products for 30 years. I'm amazed that it's come to this, me asking my dealer to resolve a simple cosmetic issue and GM basically saying "no, we're not going to fix this." I've never had an experience like this -- especially can't believe that I'm seeing this on a 50k+ vehicle. The fact that every one I inspect has this issue tells me that something is wrong at a fundamental level.

An example of what I'm talking about can be found here:
    http://i.imgur.com/puYVy.jpg