Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Problems and Repairs

Comments

• safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    Your wave plate would have been covered under the 100,000 drive train warranty
  • cindy60cindy60 Member Posts: 9
    Regardless, the steering issues are still happening on 2012 models as well as other years. There are also owners with used Acadias and some who are the original owner, like myself. If you happen to get a good one that doesn't have these problems then good for you. The rest of us were not so fortunate. I use the forum to see what issues might be coming my way in the future. I don't use it to put down those who are having problems and forking out way too much money. I know I would appreciate it if you will choose to keep your opinions to yourself.
    People post with complaints but never post the fix:

People with the “change the oil” question: GM recommends synthetic oil now (2011 and later). So you might check with the dealer on the oil change thing. They went to synthetic but kept the change interval the same for extra protection.
    Someone talked about the sun reflecting off the chrome looking air vents: GM had a fix for that and on new models it will be done under warranty. They replace the chrome looking ones with Flat Black Vents. Works and looks great.
    Someone talked about a vertical line in their back up camera: That will happen when you back up in direct sunlight and the angle is just right causing sunlight to reflect off the bumper into the camera. No fix unless the sun isn’t there.
  • packrfan4packrfan4 Member Posts: 2
    Get a clue, safety9285. These forums are designed for people to post both complaints and compliments about their vehicles so that others can be properly informed. However, it's the nature of the beast for people to post complaints rather than compliments so that's predominantly what you're going to find here. If the Acadia was a more reliable vehicle or if GM backed its owners better by taking care of the known issues (like the power steering problems many have reported) then you wouldn't see as many people complaining here.
  • packrfan4packrfan4 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Anybody know if GM has released any Technical Service Bulletins regarding intermittent loss of power steering on the Acadias? It seems to be a common problem and my 2010 Acadia is now suffering from this. Just want to be armed with the proper information when I take into the dealer.
    Packrfan4 the dealer and other places will tell u that its the power steering rack and replace that. I had mine replaced twice in a year and third time my local guy (not the dealer) took the time to research what going on and he found the root cause! It is the steering pump, not rack. The pump wouldn't budge making it appear it was the rack. A couple thousand dollars later, sadly but it should be fixed now?! This mechanic doesn't like to call cars lemons but after all work he has done on my Acadia, and the problems he reads on their auto shop forums (something only they access) he has found his first lemon.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    We're sorry to hear about the power steering concerns you're having with your Acadia, packrfan4. I see that you're planning on visiting the dealership - please keep us updated on your progress there! If you should need any further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah
    GM Customer Care
  • megawatts74megawatts74 Member Posts: 29
    First of all, there are no 2006 Acadias. Second of all... transmissions should last longer than 50 or 60,000 miles. There is a SAFETY concern here, SAFETY9285. When your car suddenly loses a transmission when your on the interstate. I traded in my heap of garbage Acadia for a new Kia Sorento.. Look it up on this forum... I have been praising the Kia. Positive posts. These Acadias are heaps of junk.
    My apologies for miss-speaking on the model year. The 2007 model came out late in 2006, so you could have purchased a 2007 in 2006.
    More people should spend time on these forums discussion issues and trying to help others solve their problems. You may disagree with me and that is OK. My OPINION is that a forum should be used for more than a [non-permissible content removed] box.
    I did some research on your current car and is was very easy to find forums discussing crap transmissions in the Kia.
    As far as the Sorento, I hope the transmission recall notice on your vehicle made it to your address.
  • eastcoaster1eastcoaster1 Member Posts: 4
    I don't know about the rest of the people but we had bought our Acadia new in 2011 and within 4 months had to have the transmission rebuilt. From then on it was one issue after another. We finally got rid of it after the transmission again decided to slip in the middle of an intersection with on coming traffic. In the 14 months we owned the vehicle it was in the garage for 8 months. GM took advantage of us on the cost of getting out of the death trap and would not help out at all. Always stating they could not find anything wrong ( even though the traction control warning light kept coming on) all the while continuously replacing parts trying to find the issue. If GM really cared about their customers they would read and listen to their complaints and fix the problems. These vehicles should not be on the road given the various degrees of issues some severe and dangerous other not so. But the fact that someone could be seriously injured or killed from one of these vehicles should be enough to have the governments force GM to issue recalls and pay for all expenses until they can fix the problems. We were one of the lucky ones to get out before we were seriously injured. Others might not be.
    The Sorento has been around a few years longer than the Acadia with a small fraction of transmission problems.. This isn't the only forum bout Acadia owners bitching about transmission, power steering, leaking sunroofs, bad water pumps, etc... these problems are very very common with Acadias. The service manager at my dealership even said so. And as for that crap tranny in Kia, it is way smoother and engine feels much more powerful than the Acadia. That Acadia has a major hesitation when you press the gas to pass someone. Oh, and if there is trouble with the Kia transmission/engine, it's backed by a ten year warranty, not five. Two co-workers have the Sorentos and love them. The Acadia is complete garbage. That's MY OPINION and apparently the opinion of MANY others.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You can check the MTD and the YTD sales of both GM and KIA CUVs here:

SUV and CUV sales

#12 Kia Sorento 34,864 - 2.1% 8909 - 7.3%

#18 GMC Acadia 28,503 + 22.7% 6681 + 9.8%

However if you add the twins the Chevy Traverse and the Buick Enclave sales you would end up with 28,503 + 34,817 + 20,609 = 83,929

According to you the Acadia is complete garbage. If that's true why are people buying the Acadia, Traverse, and Enclave to the tune of 84,000 units sold to date. Word should have gotten out there by now since these issues started in 2006 and the vehicles are complete garbage. :confuse:
    Because people like me were hesitant to buy foreign before but now are sick of getting ripped off by GM. The trend toward foreign is growing because their quality is increasing while GM is decreasing. I believe Hyundai and Kia are growing the most since 2005 or something. I own a 2010 Chevy Cobalt that I bought brand new. Read my post where my Cobalt engine blew and the Acadia tranny blew on the same day. Long story short, the dealer broke the Cobalt tranny while replacing the engine... had both vehicles for about a month. It was a nightmare.
    Owning GM vehicles since 1999 I've learned two things. First become familiar with the problems/solutions particular to your GM vehicle. I subscribe to alldatadiy.com where you can get a full listing of the TSBs and recalls available for your vehicle.

Perhaps the most important is the 0 deductible Major Guard extended warranty provided by GM. Worth its weight in gold especially if it comes to replacing a trans or rack.

I would not own a GM vehicle without either.

We traded a 2002 Yukon Denali for a 2010 Acadia. If I had waited two more months I might have bought the Denali version. Not to play devils advocate but other than a wheel balancing problem and a lack of power compared to the Yukon Denali vehicle serves its purpose. Course I don't have a sunroof.
  • anakleon75anakleon75 Member Posts: 23
    am sorry for your Acadia/2011, got mine(new)8/31/11 SLT/2011, maybe am just lucky that I don't have major concern and driving it now with 38500m and I am happy for it till. Hoping wont have any major issue when I got 50k., but I do keep updating info from site.
  • scottpar28scottpar28 Member Posts: 6
    Funny thing is that I posted this information as I was asked and no one has returned an email. Its all a front people. My steering locked up and almost had an accident.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Emailed or just posted? You really need to email or call to get in GM's system.
    What year?
  • sparisisparisi Member Posts: 6
    I have 2010 acadia . steve to answer your question. I have called gm,I have told them all my issues with the truck . I responded the way Sarah asked me to .
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Time to follow up some more then. There's also Facebook and Twitter in addition to the "usual" channels.
    Unfortunately if you are out of the factory warranty mileage or years there's not much that can be done in terms of "no charge" fixes. If you're trying to get this covered under the 5/100 powertrain warranty I'd be on a quest to find a better dealer. They exist you just have to find them.
  • 6wheeldiesel6wheeldiesel Member Posts: 4
    We are in the same situation. We traded in our perfectly good vehicle for a 2010 Acadia that we thought would suit our family needs better. Immediately we noticed a slight knock in the steering which we ignored because the 36,000 mile mark had been passed by the prior owner and it was only a minor inconvenience at the time. Now, after owning it for a couple years, it makes strange noises occasionally (intermittant clicking) and now has intermittent power steering. Several times I (and wife) have had to slam on the brakes while turning into a parking slot because the power steering suddenly gives out. At a stand stil it is hit and miss when the power steering will work and when it won't. Fluid has always been right where it should and I have maintained this vehicle well as with all if my prior GM cars and trucks. The knock at the steering rack is now substantial as well. I am extremely disappointed with the Acadia and wish we were able to just go back to our old car. Obviously not going to happen based on our loan balance and the Acadias value. Really bummed because we LOVE the design of the Acadia. My wife is afraid to drive it and leaves it parked most of the time and drives my truck. Has there ever been a recall on this issue? My sister has a 2007 Saturn outlook and recently has had the check engine light/stabilitrak warning occur and I pray we don't have to deal with that issue. We have owned GMC trucks and SUV's for years and have always been 110% satisfied... Until now
    Hello jrmmswhite,

I really do apologize that your vehicle is experiencing this issue. I would like to do further research so could you please email me at socialmedia@gm.com. In the message please provide your name, address, phone number, vehicle identification number, and current mileage.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
    GM Customer Care
  • carri005carri005 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Acadia for 2 years now and have had very few problems with it...until now. I bought this car so we could have a safe car for our two kids in car seats and still have room to have people ride with us. The middle row has a 60/40 split, and we have the 2 car seats on the 60 section. Last week I noticed the bottom part of the seat had unlatched and popped up. I fixed it and we went along our merry way. A day or so later, I noticed it had popped again. Again I reset it. It was unlatched again yesterday. I pushed it back into place, put my kids in their seats. When I sat down in my seat, I heard it pop and unlatch again. I removed one of the seats from that section. It stayed in place for the drive home. A couple hours later, I went out to my car and discovered it was unlatched again, and had unlatched while no one was sitting in it. Has anyone else had this problem?
    You did not say what year your car was.
  • danelson18danelson18 Member Posts: 2
    My 2009 Acadia is BACK at the dealership for the same "misfire" issue for the 6th time!!! The mechanic qouted me another $300 to repair the same error that happened roughly 10 months ago. The steering rack is also bad and is preventing me from making turns! They quoted me $1050 on that! Has anyone else had this problem with their Acadia? If so, please help!!
    The steering rack is not the problem. My 2007 Acadia had that problem three times this past year. The third time my local mechanic did research because the rack he replaced was perfectly fine. He found the root cause is the steering PUMP!!!! Don't go to the dealer. Find someone local that you trust.
  • kansas6kansas6 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2009 Acadia about 4 months ago and have had many of the same issues. Had to replace all of the coil packs, check engine light comes on when it rains, when you hit the brakes the steering wheel and brake pedal shake very bad, air intake box gets full of oil, a light comes on that says stop engine because I have no oil pressure, and I have had a steel fuel line get a split in it. I have always had GMC but I will never buy another one. I bought it from a local dealer and 2 days later seen it on the internet for $2000 less. I am so upside down in the thing that I will have to let it set in the drive for the next 4 years to get rid of it. These are the worst vehicles on the road and I plan to let everyone know it. It is sitting in my garage on jack stands now with brake issues. I also had a 2009 GMC Z71 that had the transmission and transfer case and rear end replaced. The transmission and transfer case were replaced multiple times all under warranty. The truck never used 4X4 and was on the highway its entire life and never pulled a trailer. I should have known better than to purchase the Acadia.
  • armyvet2armyvet2 Member Posts: 1
    marcwayne,
    My wife is experiencing same thing on her 2011 Acadia with 25,000 miles as well. I have an appointment this Monday, but I wanted to ask if anything ever came of your complaint? Did the dealership or GM Customer Service give you anymore feedback on what the cause was? I can't wait to see what they tell me, I know all dealerships are not the same but if it's a warranty repair I don't know why they make it such an Act of Congress to get a vehicle fixed.
    well I bought me first KIA Sorento 2014 SX yesterday and Im a man of my word. Goodbye Acadia. Its too bad that the dealership will finally fix all the problems with the truck. The Kia might be smaller, but has more goodies for the $$ than a new GM product, better warranty (I bought the extended for no worries also). No buyers remorse here. Good luck to you all, hopefully one day I get A class action Suit card in the mail for the Power steering.
    I did the same exact thing in Dec. I already documented my Acadia experience on one of the topics here on Edmunds. I traded my 2007 Acadia in for my 2013 Sorento Sx AWD in December with all the goodies and couldn't be happier. Just drove from PA to Oklahoma and back with absolutely no issues. Yes it is a little smaller but we managed to pack every ones gear in there no problem. The acceleration is MUCH quicker, the air conditioner is colder, the sun roof doesn't leak and the second row of seats actually recline for the kids!! You will love your new vehicle. Good Luck.
    Hi armyvet2,

Was the dealership able to resolve the issue you and your wife were experiencing with your Acadia?

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • jeffbiijeffbii Member Posts: 1
    First I am already upset because I hit a button accidentally and erased 15

minutes of typing I had in a post and now I have to retype. I own a 2008 GMC

Acadia with towing package. First issue was that I was denied a extended 100,000

mile warranty because I was over the allowable mileage.

First test was out west and through Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park area

and several of the mountail roads out there. I am from Ohio, so when we got out

there it was already through a bit of a test. After stopping for food, I

realized there was a lot of antifreeze leaking out of the vehicle, but I could

not tell where from. Fortunately there was an O'Rileys right next door so I got

some antifreeze and topped it off. After I topped off I did not have any more

leaks getting back to Ohio. I though maybe it just slightly overheated and I was

ok, though weird that I had the towing package that came with an advanced

cooling system.

Fast forward 7-8 months it has the same issue and I top it off again. The next

day it does the same thing, overheats, and dies on my wife after she pulled it

into a parking lot. After getting it to a mechanic, I was told the waterpump was

cracked and would need replaced. Looking into the 5-yr powertrain warranty, it

had expired about 2 months ago in February '13. I was not too upset with the

$500 out of pocket, cause it was less than the extended 100,000 mile warranty

would have cost and I expected something like that to break before I had the

vehicle paid off.

Then 2 months late...the transmission goes out and now I have to shell out about $3700 to have a certified gmc retailer replace the transmission because hopefully these transmissions are eventually recalled, as they should have already been. I was informed that the transmission in this 2008 GMC Acadia (with towing package) is the same transmission as in a Chevy Malibu, at least at the time the vehicle was made. On top of that I was told these transmission seem to fail close to the 77,000 mile marker, though mine was fortunate and made it to about 85,000 miles. The transmission went out last week and we have a vacation to Gatlinburg, TN next week. Anyone who has been on I-75 going to or from the KY and TN area there on I-75 knows that going up that mountain on I-75 south after Jellico is no joke, and I am very very fortunate that this happened now instead of going up that mountain.

So, two major components probably covered under powertrain warranty going out 2 and 4 months after expiration. I do not see this as a fluke, and after reading other posts on the Acadia, I am 99.9% convinced it is not a fluke. I want to post this to express my disgust with the 2008 GMC Acadia and how scary it is to think what may have happened if it went out on that mountain ascent with my wife, four kids, our friends, and their kid in the vehicle.
  • triplehootriplehoo Member Posts: 1
    Had a knock in 2010 Acadia SLT steering as well. Took it to dealer, need new steering rack and also has a crack in the sway bar. Haven't been in an accident, so don't know what would have caused that. Car has been in the shop since last Wednesday. Supposed to pick it up today. I will let you know what else they tell me.
  • lovegmc1lovegmc1 Member Posts: 37
    Hello all. As I was told by an angry member, brooklyngirl "#thamakeupqueen" blah blah, as well as others, I am here to inform all of you that my acadia has made it to 40,000 miles, without one single problem. The odometer has exactly 40,076 miles on it. I love this car, and although some other people are not happy with it(mainly older years), it is not a terrible vehicle. As with any other vehicle, people with tons of problems are going to flock to forums such as this one to complain about them. Just adding my two cents and letting the world know that the Acadia is not a terrible vehicle. Hopefully I will be able to report this same good status at 60, 80 and 100,000 miles.
  • 6wheeldiesel6wheeldiesel Member Posts: 4
    Interesting. At this point, ours is parked for the most part. Bummer because we had recently purchased a car for our daughter to drive but now my wife has to use it since hers is not safe to drive for now. She wishes it was ok, she loves the thing other than the steering issue...
    They didn't fix the steering problem until the 2012 model year unfortunately.
    yes!!!!! agree, mine is 2011 SLT 1 and 38500m as of to date and got no issue. but am keeping an update with this forum hoping wont have any issue up to 80k. have a safe driving and goodluck.
  • obravadaobravada Member Posts: 37
    I purchased my 2012 in November 2011. To this date the only visits to my dealer were for two recalls which were minor. Ride is good and gas MPG is 18.5 - 18.8 combined city and highway, mostly city. Mileage is about 13,000. I was skeptical about the problems in older models discussed in this forum. As indicated nothing serious has come up .. yet!
    We almost ended up with a 2011, but they didnt have one with the options that we wanted, or without options we didnt want. We bought in October(Took it home Nov 1, 2011), so it was between model years, if you will. Be nice to the power steering though, they were known to leak and break and all that up until the 2012 model year. Thankfully, they aren't plagued with the other problems of the older years, with the transmission breaking(wave plate) or leaking sunroof, or timing chain stretch. As obravada said, I have been in the shop for the two recalls(wiper one and water pump check), but it was absolutely no inconvenience, as they were done at an oil change, or a tire rotation. The brakes are actually starting to squeak, so it's time for that brake inspection at the next tire rotation. Thank you(ill need the good luck, my son is driving now!) and you too.
  • bbubbu Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I was planning to buy a new GMC Accardia but while going through this forum , i saw many comments about the un resolved Steering problem as well transmission issues.This is making me a rethinking on my decision.
    Could any one responsable form GMC can clarify me that the causes of this most seen issues are identified and rectified for new cars which is available in UAE for immediate purchase?
    What are all coverd in the term warrenty?will parts as well labour will be free of cost if to be repaired under warrenty?
    edited July 2013
    I'm not part of GMC, but you mentioned the steering and transmission problems. The steering was fixed in the 2012 model year by putting Dexron IV power steering fluid in vs. standard GM PS fluid. The transmission issues(mainly wave plate) were corrected in the 2010 model year. As for the 2013, the redesign has two problems. One is the white diamond tricoat has been known to chip, so I would avoid that color. Another is the rear AC not functioning. The first batch of rear blower motors must have been bad. I would have to believe that they are better by now. I would try to look for a slightly used 2012, because they would be cheaper, and are so far the best model year as far as reliability. Even if you get a 2013 and have ese problems, they can easily be fixed under your warranty. I have 41,500 approximately on my 2012 with 0 problems. Hope this somewhat helped you!
  • bbubbu Member Posts: 2
    Hi lovegmc
    thanks for your feedback.
    Bin
  • unhappy_acadiaunhappy_acadia Member Posts: 1
    Is there any new information on the melting running light housing issue?
    I've seen some posts about it, does anyone know if there is a TSB on it?
    I'm very frustrated with this. Overall, my 2008 Acadia has been good to us.
    However, the running lights have upset us greatly. Both of mine are melting, the dealer claims they have never seen it before.
    Oh, and they want $1000 just for the part, and the car has two of them. Considering that an entry level Acadia is $34000, I only need to collect 34 of these housings to purchase a brand new Acadia. What are these made out of, gold??
    I'm upset that the light melted, which I would consider a design flaw, and not "normal wear and tear", but the kicker is that they they are charging a ridiculously high price for the part.
    go to ebay and do a search on acadia headlight assembly. the results will amaze you
  • susancpasusancpa Member Posts: 7
    I don't know about the melting, but the whole headlight assembly stinks. The headlights on my 2009 Acadia regularly burnt out about once a year. That is about 3 times more frequently than any other car I have owned. It wouldn't be such a big deal if my husband could install the new $10 bulb as he usually does. But no, it requires the dealership to do it since you have to go in through the wheel well instead of just popping the cover off and changing the bulb. Overall, it is about 45 minutes of work each time costs $80. Terrible design. By the way, this was the least of my issues with the Acadia (look up cylinder misfires and steering column issues - see what comes up). I traded it for a Ford Edge. Better gas mileage and no issues whatsoever.
    This will deffinitly be my last post as I moved onto the kia sSorrento SX. I recently went back into my dealership to get the oil changed and I saw my old 100k mile gmc Acadia on the lot for sale . I went on to see their website to see the car fax and to my supprise they showed what they had to do to get it ready for sale. The dealership had to put in a new steering pump and whole rack & pinion. All the thingsI have been saying on here and many people too. The whole steering for that truck is messed up, but not the new version, gmcfixed it I wonder what it would have cost me to fix those issues. good by GMC never again for my family
    I had a 2007, one of the first Acadia's that came out. Had sI had an 2007, one of the first Acadia's that came out. Had some issues. Did not have the sun roof so I did not get the electrical issues.
    To the dealer that charged $80 to change the light bulb, shame on them. My dealer charged me $10 dollars to do the change plus the price of the bulb. Dealer said I should not have to pay for a lousy design.
    I glad you are happy Edge. I could not get past the touch screen in the new Fords. I like buttons, knobs and switches.
    To the happy Kia owner, I can appreciate your issues but you did not say what year your vehicle was.
    I can’t see how you can compare a Kia with an Acadia or and Acadia Denali, but if you’re happy that is all that matters, is it?
    I traded my 2007 in for a 2011 Denali Acadia. Got the tri-coat white paint. Truck runs great and looks great. I did put window tint on the sun roof to cut down on the sun.
    I test drove a Kia and did not like the seats. GMC makes the best truck seats on the market.
    I took a chance on the newer GM product and was pleased I did. I have a buddy who just bought a Black on Black Denali Acadia. What a sharp looking car. He got navigation which I don’t have and it works very nicely.
    Anyway it looks like the last three posts are from Happy Car owners. But I own GMC and proud of it.
    Hey safety,

We're pleased to hear that you're happy with your GMC truck! We hope that you can continue to enjoy your Acadia, and if there's anything we can help you with in the future please don't hesitate to let us know!

Cheers

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Congrats to you guys for you have new GMC ACADIA, me too 2011 SLT1 AWD Black Metallic and got 40k miles got it new last 2010 and no issues am very happy and proud of it.