Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What grade of gas does the Murano need

gadiamon72gadiamon72 Member Posts: 1
I am currently looking into leasing a Murano S and would like to know if it takes regular.

Comments

• mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    You can use regular but it likes premium.I got 15.8 mpg with the dealer tank and i assume that was 87 or 89 octane.I switched to 93 and have got a high of 19.7.The mpg on the trip is always a mpg high so use a caculator to get your true mpg.Premium fule burns cleaner and is better for the motor long term or so i have read.That being said i didn't feel comfortable buying a 34,700 car and going cheap on the gas.By the way i have a 07 SL AWD it has 2500 miles on it so far.I drive 90% city with speeds from 25 to 50.
  • divadiva1divadiva1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06' Murano S and my experience has been that I can't see any real difference between 87 or 93 octane. I drove it for about a month right after I purchased it last August on 83 then I read somewhere that 93 was the preferred choice. I put the 93 in and guess what my mileage hasn't gotten any better or worse. I'm hovering around 19.5 MPG but 95% of my driving is stop and go city miles. So if you're asking if it will burn 87...yes the 06 Murano will I'm sure sure of that, because I give her a belly full every time she needs some with no problems in the past 9 months! :)
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I can't imagine why Nissan would recommend premium if regular would do just as well. It would certainly be to their benefit to do so.
  • whitallwhitall Member Posts: 190
    I'm pretty sure Nissan does NOT recommend premium. I remember checking my manual and it said regular is fine. I have used regular in my 06 for all of its 7,000 miles.
  • hpgatorhpgator Member Posts: 39
    Nissan does NOT recommend premium

I believe it says "Regular Unleaded ONLY or Premium for better performance" or something to that extent.
  • easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
    Regular unleaded is recommended by Nissan and it should do just fine. But if some of you want to spend more on gas, that's your choice. I tried premium gas before and drove for 2K and did not see any difference in mileage.
    I don't know what the dealer had in there when i bought it BUT I only got 15.8 MPG with that one.I've used 93 ever since and the worst I have got was 17.5 and the best so far was 20.02.All caculations done with a caclulator.Right now my trip says 21.4 but i'm expecting somewhere around 20.0 when I fill up again and chack the right way.This is 90% city with speeds ranginf from 25 to 50.I have a 07 SL AWD it has 3,500 miles on it
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I've got an 07 and backside of the fuel door warns me to use minimum 88 octane. In my area regular is 86, midgrade is 88, and premium is 90. For whatever reason my dealer reminded me twice (in the delivery process) to use premium. I'm delighted to be getting 20mpg around town even if it's using premium. It's just a couple of bucks a week. BTW, I use a calculator and divide miles by fuel purchased.
  • glendowerglendower Member Posts: 32
    "I don't know what the dealer had in there when i bought it BUT I only got 15.8 MPG with that one."
    I can assure you it had nothing to do with the grade of gas. You've been paying for premium for nothing. Stop doing it.
    I don't know if it helps or not but I got 20.4 with my last fill up.I know that the manual says 91 or better but it says it will run on 87.I payed 34,700 for the car and I don't wanna skimp on the gas.Whats 150 more bucks a year to give it 91 or better?
  • bigdogbelzbigdogbelz Member Posts: 1
    We just bought an 06 Murano sl and when we test drove it the engine had no problem when i gunned it. The dealer then filled it with gas for us and almost immediately when we would gun it the car would be real choppy/jumpy as it tries to accelerate, do you think this could be from the gas? Any ideas.

Thanks.
  • emc17emc17 Member Posts: 26
    By mistake I filled my tank of my 07 Mo with gas that contains 10% ethanol. Can anyone put me at ease and let me know if I could have any problems with this mix. By the way is Hess gas in Fla. Thanks. :confuse:
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Ten percent ethanol won't hurt. Perhaps slightly less gas mileage. A number of refineries have 10% as there standard issue. If you had filled up with E85 then you could have a problem.
  • christinam1christinam1 Member Posts: 18
    According to Edmund's website, premium unleaded fuel is recommended for the 2009 Nissan Murano.
  • jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    Can you please guide us to where on edmunds it says to use premium. Also if anybody with the 09s can chime in and let us know what the manual has to say about the recommended fuel.
    Thankyou
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hopefully this link will work. Otherwise you'll have to go to Edmunds.com, select New Cars and drill down to the '09 Murano. From there select a model (I used the base S) and then click on Standard Features.

Under Mechanical Features/ Engine "premium unleaded (recommended)"
    Thankyou Steve,
    Any thoughts of the new 09 Murano? Which one to buy, 09 RX or the new Murano?
    I know the RX are going to be changed next year but the new Murano has so much to offer. Difficult decision.
    I'm having good luck with my Quest at 122k so I'm partial to Nissan drivetrains and the VQ engine variations. The only other car that was as troublefree was my old Toyota Tercel (117k when sold). Hard to go wrong with either Nissan or Toyota/Lexus, mechanically. Hard to go wrong, mechanically, with most cars these days.

The base Murano can be configured ten thousand cheaper than the AWD RX 350 but the Lexus has a better basic, drivetrain and roadside warranty. I like the smaller standard wheels and the full size spare you get on the Lexus.

Oops, the Lexus requires (not recommends) premium unleaded. Believe it or not, that's pretty much a deal killer for me. Of course, I'm spending your money and not mine, so who cares really? :shades:

Some info is still being researched but the comparison tool may help you sort out your own needs:

Vehicle Comparison
  • fitcfitc Member Posts: 11
    This is from the 09 User Manual:

FUEL RECOMMENDATION
    NISSAN recommends the use of unleaded
    premium gasoline with an octane rating of at
    least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research
    octane number 96).

If unleaded premium gasoline is not available,
    you may use unleaded regular gasoline with an
    octane rating of at least 87 AKI number
    (Research octane number 91), but you may
    notice a decrease in performance.

CAUTION
    . Using a fuel other than that specified
    could adversely affect the emission
    control system, and may also
    affect warranty coverage.
    . Under no circumstances should a
    leaded gasoline be used, because
    this will damage the three-way catalyst.
    . Do not use E-85 fuel in your vehicle.
    Your vehicle is not designed to run
    on E-85 fuel. Using E-85 fuel can
    damage the fuel system components
    and is not covered by the
    NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.

Gasoline specifications

NISSAN recommends using gasoline that meets
    the World-Wide Fuel Charter (WWFC) specifications
    where it is available. Many of the
    automobile manufacturers developed this specification
    to improve emission control system
    and vehicle performance. Ask your service
    station manager if the gasoline meets the
    WWFC specifications.

Reformulated gasoline

Some fuel suppliers are now producing reformulated
    gasolines. These gasolines are specially
    designed to reduce vehicle emissions. NISSAN
    supports efforts towards cleaner air and suggests
    that you use reformulated gasoline when
    available.

Gasoline containing oxygenates

Some fuel suppliers sell gasoline containing
    oxygenates such as ethanol, MTBE and methanol
    with or without advertising their presence.
    NISSAN does not recommend the use of fuels
    of which the oxygenate content and the fuel
    compatibility for your NISSAN cannot be readily
    determined. If in doubt, ask your service station
    manager.
    If you use oxygenate-blend gasoline, please take
    the following precautions as the usage of such
    fuels may cause vehicle performance problems
    and/or fuel system damage.
    . The fuel should be unleaded and have
    an octane rating no lower than that
    recommended for unleaded gasoline.
    . If an oxygenate-blend, other than
    methanol blend is used, it should
    contain no more than 10% oxygenate.
    (MTBE may, however, be added up to
    15%.)
    . If a methanol blend is used, it should
    contain no more than 5% methanol
    (methyl alcohol, wood alcohol). It
    should also contain a suitable amount
    of appropriate cosolvents and corrosion
    inhibitors. If not properly formulated
    with appropriate cosolvents and
    corrosion inhibitors, such methanol
    blends may cause fuel system damage
    and/or vehicle performance problems.
    At this time, sufficient data is not
    available to ensure that all methanol
    blends are suitable for use in NISSAN
    vehicles.
    The World-Wide Fuel Charter is new to me. (link)

Sounds a bit like Top Tier Gas.

Thanks for the info!
    No problem.

Btw, the manual is available online, and it will answer a lot of pre-sale questions people may have...

2009 Nissan Murano Owners' Manual

It is ~4 MB in size.

_fitc_
    Wow thats some info.
    Thankyou for letting us know and again thankyou for typing all that information for us. Lets keep it simple, If I'll get the Murano I'll definitely be using the 91 octane gas as thats the highest grade I have seen around here.
    Thankyou
    Thanks Steve for the comparision, thats really nice of You.
    Thankyou
    Oh, I didn't type all of that - I just copied the relevant section from the manual. :)

Keep in mind that in the US and Canada, what we call "Octane" is actually the Anti-Knock Index (AKI). So our "87 Octane" gasoline will be rated higher (91-92) in Europe. I think that's what the Manual was trying to say, but they made it somewhat confusing. The bottom line is, you'll be fine using Regular Unleaded (87), but may experience worse gas mileage, and the engine might perform slightly below the specs.

_fitc_
  • rosepointerosepointe Member Posts: 12
    I am curious to see what others are getting in mileage for the 2009 Murano AWD. I am only getting about 20MPG. Drove on the highway for 2 hours and it did not seem as though we were getting anything more that 20MPG. Have the car 3 weeks and other than the 4 hours up and back to State College today we have used it in town. I have used midrange unleaded 89 Octane gas. I think I will try to see if premium does better with mileage.
  • rovingeyerovingeye Member Posts: 13
    So far I have had my 2009 Murano SL AWD for 1 week (8 days to be precise) and have managed a 20.2 MPG average for the first 350 miles with whatever gas the dealer gave me. Most of my drive have been a mix of city (with braking for traffic & red-signals) and a short drive up & down on I-287 in NJ. I see no reason why I should not be able to reach the EPA stated 23MPG.

I paid a hefty $34K OTD for the car (while the rest of the country was paying $30-32K OTD) and I definitely intend to use Premium Gas and keep the engine in prime running condition.

Will keep this forum updated on how the mileage I get in the future as well.
  • john408john408 Member Posts: 4
    Not true- Nissan recommends 91. I use 87 due to cost though
  • murano3murano3 Member Posts: 1
    After reading about transmission issues on some consumer reviews, I am wondering if purchasing a 2004 Murano with 44,000 is a good move? Any feedback would be great. My second choice is a 2006 Pathfinder with the same mileage.
  • mrstommrstom Member Posts: 6
    I used 87 for my 06 Murano SL-AWD and got 23 mpg (most of my driving is highway). The few times I used 91 was because the service station was out of regular - and I hardly noticed a difference. I traded it in at 60,000 miles for an '09 Murano which seems to be doing just as well using 87. Love that car!!
  • mrstommrstom Member Posts: 6
    I still have my 1997 Pathfinder with 120,000 miles! In 2006 we wanted to trade up for a new Pathfinder and decided instead on a Murano after the test drive. The CVT transmission was super smooth and we never had any problems with it, though I've heard some complaints about earlier models. We just traded up the Murano for a new one but still have the 1997 Pathfinder - mostly for hauling stuff from the home store or garden center. It does 70 mph fine on the highway but there is not much pick-up if I want to pass someone. I am sure the 2006 model has a better engine and more upgrades. I personally find the Murano to be a sportier ride but you wouldnt want to use it to haul stuff or go offroad. Check the car history of both vehicles and then determine what you want from the vehicle - that should help you decide. Just my 2 cents.
  • amlarsenamlarsen Member Posts: 3
    my manual says to use premium, but I've been told that in CO the higher altitude makes that unnecessary, so I'm the idiot who buys mid grade. We were just in the mountains this past weekend and on our trip home got 24. something mpg. Best ever! Usually it's 20.4 or so.
  • justinmichaeljustinmichael Member Posts: 1
    When the manual say's premium, it means the 90 Octane, not the Super Premium 92-93 Octane.