Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Murano Locked Gas Cap

easym1easym1 Member Posts: 218
edited August 2014 in Nissan
I was hoping that I will not be one of the victims of this lockied gas cap. Yes, it happened when I tried to fill-up. The cap doesnt open. I tried both the mechanical and remote on and off switch for the door but was unsuccesful so I decided to go straight home and try to worry about it the next day.

This morning, I played with my remote key again and finally the cap opens. Just out of curiousity, I left the cap open to see how the mechanism works if I played with the remote key. I found out that it doesn't engage all the time but the best way to do it is to keep pressing the 'open' position untill the lock on the cap disengage.

I did it several times and it worked. I just hope that it will work all the time using this method.

I also sprayed a rust check oil on the mechanism as suggested from a previous post.

Comments

• Options
    dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    are you talking about the locking door? The door, not the gas cap, locks on mine.
  • Options
    It's the fuel access ( round )door that I'm talking about. There is a pin that locks it when you lock your doors and it should disengage when you press the unlock switch or remote switch. I found that there are times, the pin won't disengage and that's the reason why the fuel access ( round ) door won't open. I sprayed a rust check oil on the pin and played with it several times and seemed to do the trick. At this point, I have not encountered any problem so far.
  • Options
    Well, unfortunately, it happened again! My gas cap doesn't want to open. I finally was able to get it opened after several minutes of opening and closing the remote key and the manual door key. It was the door key that finally opened it.
    It takes a lot of patient. I'm glad that the gas station wasn't busy when it happened.
  • Options
    gbelangergbelanger Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a Murano and I'm having the same problem with the gas cover. Have you solved it yet? If so, how?
  • Options
    I sprayed the pin again with the rush check ( lubricant ) and play with the on and off switch. I left the gas cap open to see if the pin is going in and out, basically breaking-in the pin. It looked like it has done the trick.

To play it safe, I will spray the pin with this lubricant once in a while. I will report back here if I encounter another problem.
  • Options
    acr3779acr3779 Member Posts: 2
    When I first purchased my Murano about 2 years ago on my first fill up I could not get the gas cap off. Here I am at the gas station looking like I don't know what I am doing. So almost on E I called the dealer and apparently there was a recall on the gas caps...and the locking mechinisims. I took it in and had it replaced. You may want to have the checked out if you are having this problem
  • Options
    I checked with my dealer regarding the locked gas cap and was told that there is is no recall on this one. I double checked the NHTSA site and did not find any. You are fortunate that your dealer is kind enough to reolace it.
  • Options
    tleung21tleung21 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem last year and took it into the local nissan dealer. They told me they needed to replace locking spring and disengage the lock until it arrived. Well, I called for a few weeks waiting and after 2 months, I got frustrated and decided to leave it disengaged. No worries now but still disappointed with Nissan's level of service.
  • Options
    Well, last week, it happenned again at a gas station. So, I startted playing with the manual switch to open the gas cap. After several try, it works again. It might be possible that the pin tolerance to the hole is a little tight causing it to stick once in a while. I'm thinking of sanding the pin a little but I'm not sure if I want to do that at this time.
  • Options
    cjrmmrcjrmmr Member Posts: 1
    Simply have the dealership disable the stupid door locking mechanism. It drove me nuts with intermittant work/non-work. In many years of driving noboby's ever messed with my gas filler, so who needs it , anyway. It should be a cost-free fix if lots of us are seeing it!
  • Options
    homeounerhomeouner Member Posts: 145
    Tidester, I posted my experiences with my 04 MO locking gas door a couple of weeks ago. What section did you show it in. My problem was not electrical or mechanical. The latch retracted O K. I had not been pushing the door in far enough to have the opener push it back open.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Was this the one? http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef1354f/2029

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    jodell1814jodell1814 Member Posts: 10
    yeah mine gas lid door doesnt open. so I had to stay home all weekend. I called nissan and they told me that there is a sensor with the gas lid door that with the remote is doesnt work so it has to be replaced. I fould out the only way to manually fixed it is to take off the back panel by the rear door on the driveside. squeeze hand or fings to unlatch... No the car manual doenst tell you that at all.. SO I WAS PISSED OFF WITH NISSAN OH YEAH I COST ABOUT $100 PLUS OTHER PARTS AND SERVICES.. OF COURSE WHEN I GOT TO THE DEALERSHIP THIS MORNING IT OPENED... USEING THE REMOTE THE CORRECT WAY. THEY TOLD ME TO EXPECT THE SAME THING TO HAPPEN AGAIN UNTIL FIXED. I THINK THEY SHOOULD OF AT LEAST INSTALLED AND LEVER DOWN ON THE FLOOR LIKE MOST CARS. WHO REALLY WANTS TO TEAR THEIR CAR APART................ : :confuse:
  • Options
    I finally solve the problem ( just kidding ). I went to the Brampton Nissan here in Ontario a few months ago regarding this issue but I can't duplicate the problem and the people there were not helpful at all. They basically told me that there's no problem here and made me feel like I'm talking nonsense. I also advised them that this is a known issue and the guy basically told me that they have never seen this kind of problem with the Murano.

The solution, I folded the area where the pin engage to lock and the problem's solved. Now I can open and close the lid anytime I want!

There should be a recall on this!
  • Options
    howlinpupshowlinpups Member Posts: 5
    Here's the fix (and don't laugh too hard): while clicking the open button on your remote car door opener (repeatedly), knock on the side panel (not the lid) to the right of the gas lid. If you are fortunate enough to find the sweet spot, the latch will open. It seems like the best spot is just to the right of the middle of the lid. My 2004 Murano gas lid started locking about 2 months ago and this is how my Nissan dealer told me to open it. It does work, but the other day I did this for at least five minutes before I could get it open. I also have the problem others have mentioned about the doors spontaneously locking. If I have to get out of my car and leave it running, I always unroll the window because 99% of the time the door will lock me out. My car is in the shop at this very minute for an unrelated problem and the fix for the gas lock is $240 for an electrical relay and assembly. I told them to order the parts, but I might just see if they can disengage the lock entirely. No word yet on the door locking problem.
  • Options
    juswalknjuswalkn Member Posts: 4
    I just found this board tonight. I have a locked gas lid at present time and can not get gas. I wonder how many others not knowing about this forum are having the problem? Perhaps we need to direct the dealers to this location to see for themselves. Mine is a 2004!
  • Options
    kleporeklepore Member Posts: 1
    My Murano has been using up at least a quart of oil every 1000 miles. today the service dept. told us the codes indicate that a new long block (engine) is needed. A used one ( with 60,000 miles on it) could be installed for $6000+! And it isn't covered by Nissan's Security Plus Gold! So much for the extended warrant! Our present engine could last days, weeks or months if we keep pouring in that oil. We also have the locking gas door problem and a list of other problems including a hole in the exhaust.
    As much as love it I think it's time to move on.
  • Options
    mark_emark_e Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: I'm just curious about why they say the block isn't covered under the Security Plus Gold. According to the covered parts list at Nissanusa.com, the block (PNC 11010) is covered under all of the plans. So are the heads (PNC 11041) and all of the other parts and gaskets.

Thanks!
  • Options
    drweirdodrweirdo Member Posts: 1
    This happened to me today for the first time. I fixed it super fast. I have a pregnant wife, and this is our only car, so I wasn't going to have my '04 MO run out of gas at the wrong time. As soon as I got home, I took a plunger to the gas cap and yanked. It popped right open, out popped that stupid plastic pin. Problem solved, now the gas cap opens and closes at will, no cosmetic defects at all and it still engages the same way (spring loaded push to open). The only issue is that it no longer locks, but as stated above, I've never had people steal gas from me before... Happy hunting!
  • Options
    farmpsychfarmpsych Member Posts: 1
    We were desperate--tank down to fumes and could not open the filler lid in 2004 Murano. Our "trusty" dealer (Jack Ingram, Montgomery AL) fixed it (allegedly replaced left front door lock actuator assembly) for $344. That was 8/8/08. Problem has recurred twice since then!! Visited blogs on this site--wished I had done that before and I then fixed it for nothing. Hit unlock on the remote 12-15 times and it popped open--then visualized how it works--WD40 to the plastic lock-pin--if it happens again I will remove the lock-pin--the door still shuts but cannot lock when the car is locked. PS: I will try to get my money back. And dealers always lie about TSBs aka Top Secret Bulletins.
  • Options
    psumasepsumase Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my '04 Murano and fixed it by bending the little metal latch on the inside of the cap that the dead bolt hooks into. One could cut it off if desired, but that eliminates the possibility of ever using the lock feature again.
  • Options
    kornenekornene Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Murano and just experienced the locked gas cap. I tried everything to get the door open. I used the remote unlock, the unlock on the door and tried the key in the door. I banged on it and tried to pry it open. My husband tried to open it while I hit the unlock. Nothing worked. So of course when I drop it off at the dealership, it opens right up for them everytime. I've tried it a few more times since I picked it up today and it has worked everytime. If it happens again, I'm going to bend the piece so that the lock no longer catches. I don't have time to mess with it. I will try to be more aware so that I don't almost run out of gas if it locks up again. At least I got a recall fixed while I had it at the dealership!
  • Options
    steelflatrollsteelflatroll Member Posts: 18
    HELP I need it now I am out of town and cant get my gas door open Aside from tearing out the inside panels does anyone have a another ideal ???? I am about to tear or bent the the crap out of my gas door so I can get on the road I have just enough gas to get back to the station
  • Options
    I got it open and on the road again I am going to stop the pin from engaging anyone have a good way to do this ? along with this I notice the push spring for the door doesnt always come back out and I have to help it by prying it out.. any thoughts on that piece ?
  • Options
    :surprise: well in one of my earlier message I had ask if the signs to the tranny problems look like this ??? after driving on the hwy then coming to a stop traffic jam when I try to move again the car did not react to the gas pedal ( I thought maybe I got the floor mat struck under the pedal ) I kept trying then it lurch forward... this happen twice in the last 6 months . I never really gave it any thought but with the notice and Since I have 112000 on my 03 MO when I took it in for my regular oil change and explain to the service dept what I had notice. They said they would check it out . When I pick it up they said nothing show up on the computer, Would this problem show up on their readout ???

I wonder if the tranny does go out after the 120,000 will this be consider having it on record ?? or any one have any other thoughts on how to approached the issue?
  • Options
    somagsomag Member Posts: 1
    This has happened to me several times. Off and on, and twice this month. Wouldn't open last night at the gas station. Came home & tried several of the suggestions to no avail. Then this morning it opens as if nothing had been wrong. I tried to figure out the problem once it was open. I found that bending back the metal latch as suggested by "psumase" works for me. It does not lock now, but will save me a whole lot of frustration & calls/appointments with the dealer.
  • Options
    I'm suprised that untill now, Nissan have not done any recall yet on this issue.

To Nissan = this type of issues frustrates many people and some will not be coming back. Take care of your current clients and you'll get more business. Just look what happened to the big 3 when they underestimated the power of consumers.
  • Options
    smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    edited February 2010
    the one big flaw I think Nissan and Infiniti have, and if they don't correct it soon, it will be their undoing, no matter how good your vehicles are and even if sales are increasing for you, is that their corporate customer service system and response are terrible compared to their other Japanese competition and German competition!

for instance, I had a Infiniti FX35, and I now have a Maxima SV; with both vehicles, I have had a lousy experience when I've called or written a letter to Infiniti or Nissan Consumer Affairs they both have either never returned my calls/letters or when they contacted me they sent me to a regional rep who knew nothing about my problems, since she never has seen my car, and knew nothing about their own vehicles and then try to tell me that I should just live with it and that the car back to the dealership and that they are the ones I should really be talking too, though when I go to the dealership, they tell me to speak to corporate and the regional rep! so you can see the kind of run around I get, its very frustrating and poor customer service

now, contrast that with my Acura and Lexus, if I call or write a letter to either of them, I can't get corporate off my back! they are always up my butt calling to see if my problem was resolved and if not what I can do to get it resolve and if there is anything they can do on their end, etc; they've even called up my dealership and gotten them in line to try and help me again after my dealership has snubbed me a little bit and tried to brush off the problem!

Nissan and Infiniti really needs to improve their customer service; this regional rep thing Nissan uses when you have a problem really is a waste; the regional rep either doesn't know anything about the vehicle and tells you to go ask the dealership, who then tells you to speak to the regional rep :mad: or the regional rep won't even come out to your house or dealership to listen to the problem; for example I had a question about the Bose Audio System setup and why no sound comes out of the speakers in my rear window and she couldn't answer it for me; also, I have had a rattle in my driver side door from day 1 of getting my Max when ever I go over bumps in the road and since its right by where I sit when I drive I hear it all the time; I've brought it to the dealership and they give me the lying run around that they don't hear anything! my regional rep wouldn't even come out to hear it and told me that rattles/noises/creaks/etc are normal in a 38-40k dollar car, such as the Max, because its a sports sedan, which is complete BS with the CVT, and you can expect to hear sounds like that :mad: I told her right on the phone, when you get vehicles like the Maxima and Murano that when you add packages to them they cost just as much or a little less then a Infiniti, Acura, and Lexus and that you shouldn't tell a customer oh its a normal problem on a car that expensive and you should live with it" she didn't know what to say!!!

just poor poor customer service! you know, I was with GM for 30 years and this is the kind of lousy stuff they pulled and you know what that got them! Nissan better get its act together; its just like all you poor people who have 1st Gen Murano's with the 1st Gen CVT; since you have the first model Nissan used this new transmission in, there were bound to be problems till they got to the 2nd Gen CVT, which I have in my Max now and they provided no support to people having their trans blow at 60-70k miles until enough people complained and sued together that now they extended the powertrain to 10 years/120k miles I think!

Sorry for the little rant I went on but I had to get that off my chest; except for the lousy customer service I've been really happy with my new Max and all the cool features and comforts it has!!
  • Options
    I can't say it better than that my friend.
  • Options
    nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    The click/knock combo worked like a charm. My works all the time now.

One thing I would also add, and it was not my case, the actuator has a fuse in the fuse box, by the driver's left knee. I would suggest people trying the spare fuse before trying anything else, those things do go bad now and then.
  • Options
    nastacio, mine used to work with those technique but eventually stop working.
  • Options
    nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    You destroyed my illusion. I guess I'll eventually kiss 300 USD bye-bye...
  • Options
    kornenekornene Member Posts: 2
    Update: I've had a few more problems but I was always able to push on it/hit unlock/lock over and over until it came open. 2 weeks ago we are driving to the beach and stop to get gas and can't get the door open. Luckily this happened on a Saturday around noon in Atlanta and we were able to find a dealership that was open and was willing to work us in. They had to remove the inside panel (after we moved all of our luggage) to get it unlocked. They said that the actuator was bad and needed replacing but they didn't have that part in stock. I told them to just remove the piece that locks the door so that I wouldn't have to worry about it again. They didn't charge us so that helped me from being too annoyed. It's a pain to have car issues any time but especially when you are out of town.
This discussion has been closed.