Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback Accessories and Modifications

caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
Adding a modification, here's the place to ask.

Comments

• Options
    ronandsusanronandsusan Member Posts: 1
    Hello...we have a 2005 Outback wagon...does anyone have any recommendations for which ski/snowboard racks work best? We are mostly thinking about Yakima or the Subaru dealer racks...Thank you.
  • Options
    geojay67geojay67 Member Posts: 1
    We went to our local dealer to research this subject.
    REI did not have the greatest selection, so we searched online. We ended up going with the Yakima Big Powderhound from ORS racks direct. They had just what we needed, and it arrved early.
  • Options
    dmeagherdmeagher Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone changed out their head unit in their 05 or newer Legacy/Outback without cutting a giant hole in the dash? I’d like to get a Head Unit with GPS, Satellite radio, and IPOD controls. I’ve taken mine to a few audio places who seemed more then happy to get out their Sawzall and cut a giant hole in my center console, but there has to be a better way. Can a unit be installed where the Outback’s factory GPS system is or is there another answer?

-Dave
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Most models have the radio controls integrated with the HVAC, so you're outta luck. No practical way to yank that out.

You can add anything that uses an FM transmitter, or maybe get one of those in-line plugs that piggy-backs on the antennae. Check the 05+ Legacy/Outback threads, they've discussed the details there.

-juice
  • Options
    dmeagherdmeagher Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, I’m familiar with the FM modulators, but that only gets you FM quality. I know at least in ‘05 there where two 6 disc in dash changers available, and my car came with the one that does not play MP3 discs. Does the other model have an aux input? The factory GPS has to plug in somewhere.

-Dave
  • Options
    Hop over to that thread I mentioned, I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers.

-juice
  • Options
    lambed3lambed3 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone installed a satelite radio or a Harman Kardon plug and play Ipod connector in their 06 Legacy GT? I am curious to know if there is a way to hardwire an Ipod and not use and FM transmitter.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Unfortunatley, you can not use any aftermarket connector on the 05-06 Legacy GT headunits. Since the unit is self contained (ie. no external CD changer connector in back), there is no way for an aftermarket interface to connect.

Other than an in-line FM modulator that would hook up to the antenna connector, the only other way is to open up the headunit and tap into the ribbon cable between the internal CD player and headunit.

A member over at legacygt.com forums has manufactured a small board that will intercept the signal between the CD player and HU to create a kludge AUX-in. I have purchased this board and it works great. The only downside is that one must play a blank CD in order to hear just the iPod.

Hope that helps.

Ken
  • Options
    youngatheart1youngatheart1 Member Posts: 5
    Ken, you suggested what sounds like an excellent soluton for the Ipod audio issue. Could you provide better details on how to contact the person you refer to? I have a Subie Forester XT 2004 and I hope that the same solution would work for the original Tuner/CD changer in my car.

Thanks, Edward

Ken wrote: "A member over at legacygt.com forums has manufactured a small board that will intercept the signal between the CD player and HU to create a kludge AUX-in. I have purchased this board and it works great. The only downside is that one must play a blank CD in order to hear just the iPod."
  • Options
    dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    Go to that site, path after that is forums-Interior/audio-Sticky Plug n Play Aux-in mod.
  • Options
    Thanks, unfortunately it does not look like it will work on a Forrester. Here is clip from first post in the above referenced sticky post from the creator of the mod:

Will this work on other Subaru's? YES. This will work on WRX/Impreza/Outback Sports. As far as I know, it will not work in Bajas, Forester or Tribeca's. It will not work for any years but 2005 & 2006. This mod is only for 05/06 Subaru Legacy's, Outbacks (2.5L & 3.0L), and Outback Sport/Impreza & WRX's with 6CD radios (P-133).

Will this work on non-US radios? Yes, it will work with Canadian radios. It will not work in the McIntosh radio, and it will not work in the standard radio with single zone metric climate controls (C instead of F) - European, Japanese, Australian, etc...sorry. I wish it did.
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Edward,

Try going to ScoobyMods.com. There's a modification shown on integrating an iPod for a Forester XT.

Ken
  • Options
    Ken thanks so much for the reference to this forum http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3357

the solution for the Forester XT seems similar to the Legacy and uses a blank/silent CD as well. Some cost in parts and a few solders, but seems like it is a fairly easy project. The URL above seems to have good instructions as well as photos.

Now all I need is for the Ipod (my first)that I just purchased to actually work, but that is a different story.

Thanks again,
    Edward
  • Options
    aljeealjee Member Posts: 6
    I have a new 06 OB 2.5I, I'm looking to either get a front hood deflector (plastic shield) or the mini-bra..? What are the pro's and con's..?

I do 80% local traffic driving & 20% Highway...

thanks in advance
  • Options
    nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    I also have a new OB 06, but I'm not thinking on putting extras other than the ski rack when season calls, and maybe a hitch for the bikes. Why? Well, I had a Civic with a bra, and was a pain to put on after taking it off. Its not hard to do it, but after 2 or 3 times (that you will, especially when you feel it dirty), you will think you have wasted your money. About the deflector, I would argue against if you have to make a hole in your car. Don't play with corrosion.
    The best investment, if you can afford, is the 3M film. Look at this article: http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml, or just google some info. No bugs anymore. Some years ago, the crazy people of Car and Driver even went to the north pole with something like it (think it was the same), and it was a marvel
  • Options
    vpekulasvpekulas Member Posts: 14
    Is there such a thing as a bull/brush guard for the grill for 01 Outback ? I think it'd look really good if done elegantly ....
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

It just depends how socially responsible you are. Most intelligent life forms consider it undesirable to walk the streets bearing offensive weapons. Regrettably, this does not apply to automotive ornamentation.

Bull bars are useful if you will genuinely run into a bull, moose or kangaroo. However, this applies for very few citizens of the civilised world, who are dramatically more likely to impact another citizen, probably a child, first. In such an event, the bullbar will inflict grievous injury upon the fellow citizen, with a much higher probability of death than the cars designed crash zones.

If the struck pedestrian or other driver survives, the loss of crush zones, carefully built into the vehicle, will result in horrific injuries, taking one back fifty years in terms of vehicle safety.

If you are the sort of person who likes strolling the streets wearing a six gun, go for it! However, do understand the risk you run and think about how you will live with the consequences

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    Hi Graham,

if you go back to my post and read it again, I said something done elegantly. I'm not looking to mount a fence on my bumper/grill :)

What I'm after is something like the Forester has, which is relatively low (about the 4rd of the grill is filled) and plastic. Example of what I'd look for:
    http://www.subaru-parts.com/media/parts/FORESTER/E7710FC200VB.jpg
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    As you might suspect Graham is from Australia, where bull bars are rather common, at least in rural Australia—which is most of the place. :) What you're suggesting is far from what is considered a traditional bull bar.

Here are some Aussie "Nudge Bars" for Subaru Outbacks. Think of a Nudge Bar as sort of a Bull Bar Lite.

http://www.ecb.com.au/model/Outback.htm

Here are some true "bull bars," from that same site. These are HD units, which is what Graham was referring to, many of which include winches.

http://www.ecb.com.au/

Bob
  • Options
    Thanks for the link :) I'll contact them to see if they ship to Canada.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    There are a number of other sites too. Just do a Google search for "Bull Bars and Nudge Bars for Subaru."

Bob
  • Options
    audioiaudioi Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a 07 Outback Wagon and would like to add a remote starter. There is a overpriced option from Subaru (not available yet) that has no features. Anyone have a recommendation for a nice install?
  • Options
    slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    Why can't you buy OEM remote starter and install it yourself? It is about $270.00 and will be covered by Subaru warranty. If you install aftermarket remote starter and have any electrial problem later, most dealers refuse to fix it under warranty.
  • Options
    I had been told they were not available and on delay??
  • Options
    gillumgillum Member Posts: 5
    I just got a 2007 outback as a company car. I ordered the remote start feature which is great (and is available) but I do have a question. I thought the remote start and door locks would be on the same fob; they're not. Can you buy an aftermarket fob and program it for doors and the starter?
  • Options
    Great ! Thanks
  • Options
    slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    Yes you can do that.
  • Options
    ljordan2ljordan2 Member Posts: 4
    My 06 Outback came with a factory installed remote starter for $299. It operates off the key fob. I didn't really want it, was on a demo. Only time I've used it was by accident, I was fiddling with the fob from in the house one night and the running lights came on and the engine was running.
  • Options
    gillumgillum Member Posts: 5
    That's strange... why does mine have two fobs (one for remote start and one for locks)?
  • Options
    ejd2ejd2 Member Posts: 3
    Recently purchased a hood protector (the dark plastic one) for a 2006 Outback. It fits the vehicle fine, and is correctly installed, but the hood won't close with the protecor on there. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    Did it come with spacers? Older models had these clear things you would stick on to set them at the proper distance.

-juice
  • Options
    It has rubber bumpers/spacers that go between the top of the deflector and the outside of the hood.

There is a rubber gasket that goes between the hood and the grille to seal out water when the hood is closed. By putting the deflector in there, it prevents the hood from closing. It may close if I cut the gasket in that area, but I would rather not take that step if I don't have to.
  • Options
    Call 800-SUBARU3, see if they can help.

-juice
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Not sure if it's the same as my '04 F-XT, but the protector goes *under* the rubber gasket. You need to pry the gasket holders out a bit to get it to slip in. Same with our '02 MPV hood deflector.

So, when looking at the hood open from the front, it should be gasket, deflector, hood.

The Subaru instructions are indeed vague though.

-Brian
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Is the deflector you got from Subaru or after market type .
    The reason I ask is I'm looking to get one for my 06 outback.
    Have you been able to get it to work .

Thanks Mike K in South Jersey
  • Options
    pcopco Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2006 Outback and found that I cannot continue to use the bike rack that mounts to the back of the vehicle. I was faced with the dilema...roof rack or hitch mount. Current research (internet searches and word of mouth) tell me that I am better off with a hitch mounted one. It will be easier for me to handle by myself. I find a lot of discontent with the Subaru hitch (you cannot use thule locks etc. take a look at the discussion www.idealog.us/2006/04/subaru_hitch_mo.html

Has anyone used UHaul? What does the hitch look like....Subaru says we "void" warranty if we attach a hitch that is not their's? What could happen?
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I have a 06 Outback Wagon as well. For the actual Hitch itself, I did the U-Haul route. Had them install it, wired and all with lifetime warranty for around $270 or so last year.

This is the first time I am hearing anything about SOA voiding a warranty with a non-Subaru hitch. Matter of fact, I had checked with my dealer when I bought the car. They quoted me $500 for the hitch including installation, claiming the high cost was because the hitch is normally a PIO - they have to charge for their service dept doing the work. When I commented about the price, they told me to go to U-Haul instead!

If you want to do the installation yourself, check out etrailer.com - they have all the proper parts, as well as a selection of bike racks. Or check with the online bike stores -Nashbar and Performance for good, inexpensive racks.

Good luck!

Mark
  • Options
    pcopco Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Will follow up! Sis you use it for a bike rack? Are you able to lock it onto the hitch? Did you get the Subaru one or Thule or.....? Thanks again. Happy riding!
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I actually have two hitch racks. One can carry up to 3 regular DF bikes, which I picked up a few years ago from Bike Nashbar. The other is from hitchrider.com (see below)that can carry my wifes delta Trike, along with my Mountain Bike. I had a locking hitch pin, which I was silly enough to forget when I traded in my 2000 OB last year :blush: . I have to pick up a new one so that I can use the regular bike rack. You can get them at Home Depot, or most auto accessory palces. Just make sure it is the right size.

Good luck!

Mark

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com">
  • Options
    Sorry for the late response, but in case anyone comes across this post, I did get it to work. I Removed the latch that is attached to the hood and slipped a washer on the bolts between the latch and the hood. This allowed the latch to extend slightly lower and catch the latch mechanism behind the grille without having to slam it.

BTW - OEM deflector
  • Options
    milo10milo10 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know how difficult it is to add XM to a pre wired system, or should you go through a dealer? I did the wiring for XM on my Jeep I traded off and am hooked on it.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    The 07s have aux input, do you have an output?

-juice
  • Options
    milo10milo10 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Delphi receiver but the Subaru has a Sat ready radio installed, the dealer quoted me $495 to install the modules to activate, seems a bit much so I was wondering how hard it would be to do myself.
  • Options
    Yikes. That's a lot.

What about the place you got the Delphi thing from? Will they install it again? Or was it mail order?

-juice
  • Options
    p9411p9411 Member Posts: 4
    Is there a way to use the sirius kit for the impreza or the forester in the outback? They say it is xm only but in 2008 you will have a choice of either. Since the car is pre-wired could it accept a sirus antenna and receiver?
  • Options
    fiddlelizfiddleliz Member Posts: 1
    I don't know the answer, but would like to know the same thing re the 2007 Legacy LTD Sedan I'm buying this week. Sirius just announced they are buying XM, but that's likely to take a year to complete.
  • Options
    shanelegacyshanelegacy Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone tell me if they make window vent shades for a 95' subaru legacy wagon ? I have been looking for one online but haven't come up with anything. I was told by a friend that they are avaible.
  • Options
    caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Do you mean Rain Guards? I am not sure what a window vent shade is? :confuse:
  • Options
    shanelegacyshanelegacy Member Posts: 6
    yes I guess you could call them rain guards too. In the old days say in the 50's I know they called them vent shades. They go above your windows, a nice feature when wanting to keep rain, snow, etc out of the car. Also I am told they help with wind noise on those frameless subaru doors.