Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep liberty CRD and Biodiesel

soltronicsoltronic Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Jeep
Hello and thank you all for the great information.
I am working on buying a new vehicle with sustainability and economy as my two main requirements. I just totaled my Jeep Grand Cherokee which I really loved. I am interested in a diesel engine so I can purchase biodiesel. The Jeep liberty seems like a great fit for me but if it "Will Not" run biodiesel, I may need to look further.

Can anyone here coment on running biodiesel in the 2.7 CRD beyond the issues with water and the injectors. Is there a solution?

Thanks for your comments in advance

Scotty

Comments

• tjm3472tjm3472 Member Posts: 11
    I've been running B20 from Crystal Flash in my 06 CRD for almost a year with no problems at all :). I'd use a higher blend but it's not available nearby. You might try some of the biodiesel forums.
    tjm3472
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Biodiesel/WVO in HD diesel pickups could use some new postings! :)]

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • egrasemegrasem Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 with 30000 miles on it. Been making my own Biodiesel and running it %100 percent. If there was a water issue with the injectors, I have a funny feeling I would be seeing it by now. I still get great mileage and power with it. Don't let people scare you into thinking it won't run on Bio because it simply does:)

Hope this helps
    Mitch
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Since it's a common belief that water is an issue because warm fuel is sent back into the tank by the return line, has anyone tried a mono-tube circuit where the unused fuel goes directly back into the filtered fuel line? (between filter and pump using a tee connection)

The unused fuel coming out of the pump was filtered a fraction of a second ago. Is there really matter to worry about an accumulation of air in such a circuit? I've used this single tube plumbing during many years for my oil furnace.
    Since diesel fuel is not elastic and the high pressure pump cannot produce more fuel than it received, it's neither a high pressure issue nor a threat to the filter such as a backflow.
  • sailman397sailman397 Member Posts: 15
    I have an '05 CRD and have been running B20 off and on with no problems. A new Bio_diesel plant (www.newportbiodiesel.com) just opened and I added B99 to my half full tank. I plan on running straight B99 once the weather warms up.
    Sailman397,
    I had a look at the "www.newportbiodiesel.com" web page.
    You are lucky to have so many affiliated restaurants to recuperate waste frying oil. I was not really pleased with the biodiesel I used because it was very expensive and less efficient (in my case). According to my humble experience, diesel fuel is like cheese: the more it stinks the better it is ;)

On the other hand, I would keep this biodiesel for heating and producing cleaner electricity. What's left of our Industry pollutes much more than we do.
  • arvmanarvman Member Posts: 95
    With the price of fuel these days I think I may go for the biodiesel route.There is a local co-operative here and they have this process ironed out.I will start with a b20 mixture and see how it goes.The bio apparently cleans up sludge in the fuel system so I'll break down and get a fuel filter at 200+ dollars a pop.Has anyone found a good aftermarket fuel filter that is cheaper than the dealership?
    Arvman,
    Biodiesel is "on-hold" here and I was told that the EU will soon impose such restrictions that small diesel engines will become a thing of the past :cry:

Historically diesel fuel was 1/2 the price of premium gasoline in the EU. Last night I heard there wasn't enough diesel fuel available; this is the way we are being prepared to change our habits. Even ethanol mixed with gasoline is no longer supported. People who bought Flex-System (bio-ethanol or gasoline) powered vehicles are left with no support: their projected filling stations will not be built.

People are offended by the idea of agriculture feeding vehicles instead of humans. I think waste vegetable oil has potential but even this alternative is kept quiet. We are paying most of the countries' income via fuel tax, so alternatives are not welcome and possible issues are over exaggerated to frighten the population.

So buy your filter, but don't put too much expectations in the near future. You may soon be able to buy fuel at the bank: traders are buying and selling fuel simulating virtual shortage as a source of profit. For how long?
    People are offended by the idea of agriculture feeding vehicles instead of humans.

Offended? I don't think so. I think people are upset when groceries prices go through the roof because crops are diverted to produce ethanol. It takes a LOT of corn to fill your gas tank with ethanol.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Tidester,
    Those who speak of offense are unfortunately not the poor. Poor people complain and pay the price until they have no more money. Then it's too late...
    It's a matter of ethics this time because there isn't enough land to feed the global population in the 50 years to come.
    Oh, there's plenty of land to feed the global population. The problem is that it takes something like 450 bushels of grain to fill a tank with ethanol (almost 70 bushels for E85) and that's where a lot of it is going. 400 bushels of grain would feed a lot of people over the week or so that it takes to burn it in your vehicle.

So, yes, it does become a matter of ethics and your points are well-taken.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jul/03/biofuels.renewableenergy

SUV shoppers will have to pay a 2600 Euro Eco-Tax in some of the EU countries when they register a new truck. We will also pay a yearly contribution of nearly 400 Euros to run the Liberty :sick:
This discussion has been closed.