Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry EGR valve "Check engine light on"

aamadoraamador Member Posts: 3
edited May 2019 in Toyota
I have a 2001 Toyota Camry 4 Cylinders
that has the check engine light I took it
to Autozone for the free reading which
it came out the EGR Valve I bought and replaced
it but after two days or so it came back on
again Does anyone know what the problem could be?
then someone told me that it could have been
the Throttle Position Sensor I replaced it and still
have the same problem?

thanks for ya'll help

abe

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Take it back to have the new error codes read. It is not unusual to have a couple different error codes come up. See if the new error code(s) are the same or slightly different.

You'll be zero'ing in on the problem.
  • aamadoraamador Member Posts: 3
    I did bring it back and still got the same error code for the
    EGR Valve. is there any way to test if I got a bad EGR Valve?

thanks.abe
    You need to know the error code number(s) themself (like P0466). An error code can point to a couple different potential problem, usually sequence in highest probability of causing the problem, to lowest probability of causing the problem.

It appears from your posts, that AutoZone converted the error code for you to the first item on the potential cause list which was EGR. Doubt that the new EGR would be defective. You need to expand the problem focus area.

You can google the error code.
  • aamadoraamador Member Posts: 3
    This is code P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation
    flow insufficent

abraham
    For your year, a P0401 indicates trouble areas in:
    - EGR valve stuck closed
    - Open or short in VSV circuit for EGR (that's the Vacuum Switching Valve)
    - Vacuum or EGR hose disconnected (or clogged, or cracked)
    - Manifold absolute pressure sensor
    - EGR VSV open or close malfunction
    - ECM (that's the main engine computer)

Check your Carspace mailbox for additional assistance. Goodluck, and let us know how you make out.
  • alanb2alanb2 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Abraham,

did you ever find the problem with your Camry? I'm having the same problem. I also took mine to Autozone and got codes P0401 and P0402. I was about to go buy an EGR valve until I read your email. I just bought the car two days ago. I'm afraid the owner could not resolve problem.

Thanks for any help you can pass my way.

Alan
  • 05jgcgirl05jgcgirl Member Posts: 1
    My engine light came on and I took it in to have it looked at, it came back saying that the EGR valve is defective. I had it in last week to get the main computer replaced because it has been recalled. Could this problem have derived from the recalled computer? :lemon: My Jeep has been in the shop 4 times since I bought it in February!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Looks like you found the right place to post: 05jgcgirl, "05 JGC EGR replacement" #1, 16 Jul 2009 10:05 pm. Good luck, hope we can help!
  • camrygirl1camrygirl1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem but you are more fortunate than I. Your problem is covered under a recall that Toyota will repair for free and refund you any money that it cost you to fix on your own. My car is just one year too early for it to be covered. Hope this helps. God Bless..
  • fforebackfforeback Member Posts: 1
    couple of threads identified that you are getting a low air flow. the egr and modulator valves do not tie directly to the computer, the other device that i am chasing is the vsv valve which is shorting out. this was also identified on a couple of the threads that I read. this is the only part of the system that ties directly into the computer. I would suspect that your vsv valve has failed, pull the unit and check the ohms on it, it should read 40 to 50 ohms. I haven't been successful in replacing this unit, however, I am using units from the junk yard, and it may be that after being in the car that long they just fail, and I need to purchase a new unit.
  • cookanellecookanelle Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Started with the Check Engine light. After I replaced the EGR valve and wiring (by a Gold Shield place), my car stutters and stalls at stop/yield signs. Also since replacement my battery light flashes. This is the 3rd battery within a year's time. AAA mentioned it could it be the computer misreading? I purchased this car from a car lot 7 years ago. Could this problem have to do with a recall part? What do I do next? Help, please.
  • patseekinghelppatseekinghelp Member Posts: 2

I also have the same problem. I have a 1998 Toyota Camry with the code P0401 and bought a new egr valve. After about 60 miles on the car the same code pops up again. I have failed emission test twice already. Also I drove my car about 200 miles and all the monitors on my car still haven't reset itself. Somebody please tell me why? Any suggestions??

Thanks,
    Pat

• KjspaldingKjspalding Member Posts: 1
    Hello 
    I am having a very difficult time with my EGR valve as well. I have replaced the old one with a brand new one from carparts.com and still have not has the check engine light turn off. I am so confused about what the potential issue could be and have no clue as to how to fix the problem effectively. Any suggestions or ideas as what I should or can so would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help and support with this matter. 
    Also I am not the best with cars and exactly how the engine works (well mainly the whole vehicle). Please  help me figure it out before I completely destroy my car! 🙏🙏🙏 
    Thanks again
    Katherine
  • MichaelBuoMichaelBuo Member Posts: 1
    This video explains the troubleshooting process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYETonI1__o
    My Camry is a 2002 and it wasnt the vsv valve but i found the part i needed by troubleshooting. This is the part for my car. WVE 5S2037 it says in the description of the part it could be the part you need if you are getting a p0401. The 2000 camry the guy in the Youtube video was working on needed a new vsv. like the guy above said you can test it by checking the ohms of it