Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Si Coupe

rd1ofakindrd1ofakind Member Posts: 13
edited October 2014 in Honda
I just bought an '07 Civic Si Coupe w/Navi last Friday, and wanted to start a discussion on this exact model/type. I hear alot of issues with the '06 and even some '07's, so lets talk about issues, likes, dislikes, buying/leasing experiences, etc.

Lets make this the official 2006-2007 Civic Si Coupe forum!

I had a very hard time finding an '07 Civic Si Coupe w/Navi here in Colorado. There was only one available in the state, and I got it, whew! Anyone else have a hard time finding one just like this?

I use to have an '05 S2000 and loved it! I decided to trade it in last year in Feb. for an '06 Acura TL w/Navi for practicality reasons, snow driving, etc.

The Acura was a great car, but I got the itch again for something a bit more sporty, fun to drive, so I compromised and went for the Civic Si. Its been less than a week that I've had it, but so far the car is awesome! What a great compromise, lets see how many others out there can join in on this forum... :)

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    congrats on your purchase, the si is an awesome car!

As far as problems go, i have not heard about to many, its a honda so thats to be expected.

One gripe i have heard off is a stiff-ish shifter, but for the most part, people agree that this is one of the best sticks honda has ever offered.

Then there is the drive by wire delay that seems to only be a huge deal for cluth it yourself people.

And then the occasional person who buys the si thinking its the fastest thing ever, and has no idea about honda's take on a performance vehicle.

I love it.
  • bwillis2006bwillis2006 Member Posts: 2
    My dad has a 06 Civic Si and its been almost perfect. One problem I did read up on was that when the RPM's are up and then you hit the brake, the RPM needle has a delay in dropping. This problem proved true in my dad's car although not a major problem. I never even noticed till I read up on it on Edmunds. The article said that you can take it to the dealership and they'll fix it for free since it's obviously under warranty. Haven't done so yet but maybe my dad will soon, maybe not.
    this is the drive by wire thing i was talking about; its not so much a fix as it is a software upgrade that closes the gap of time your needle takes in dropping down.
  • blutacblutac Member Posts: 27
    Anyone know the jumper array to override the headlight switch in controlling the driving lights? On my Tacoma it is a jumper in the uder hood fuse panel.
  • ghanchinghanchin Member Posts: 4
    2007 - Civic sedan- in the shop 3 times in 7 weeks - anyone else have the same noises- only occur- 10 -15 mph - turning - left - over small height change - like transition in a parking lot.. located here in Denver.. delaer has no clue- BURT -KUNI HONDA - bringing again this week - they are keeping until fixed:)
    the starter sounded so excited about it and then left. and now we have posts that have nothing to do with it. :sick:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, why don't you contribute something on topic then? ;)
    lol, i needed that pat!!! ;)

the si coupe is great......

(crickets in the distance...)

i suppose i just need someone to converse with now? :(
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    I wanted the Si, but instead opted for an EX loaded with goodies. The Si being only manual nixed it for my wife, and the need for premium fuel nixed it for a cost-based purchase. The orange/red dash is too cheesey for me and black interiors are insane for us in the south.

but it is a neat car, I still like them and envy those who have them. As long as you don't think it is The Fastest Car in the World.....
  • kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    oh, we know that they're not the fastest cars in the world... we (Si owners) just argue that it's pretty well up there on the 'FUN' scale. :shades:
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    absolutely no argument here!
    def a fun great handling car, but out of all the small compacts that are made with sporting intentions, i will say that there are a few people who seem to purchase the si actually thinking it is a blazingly fast vehicle. i guess we have the fast and the furious to thank for that! :sick:
  • themistoclesthemistocles Member Posts: 95
    What oil do you guys recommend for 2007 civic Si coupe? brand? should i go synthetic?
    Ive had a 07 civic si coupe with navi for about 8 months now. I absolutely love it. handles so perfect, out of all the front wheel drive cars ive driven, it seems to have the least under steer. Probably do to the helical limited slip differential they put in the 07 and the incredibly stable body/suspension. i have noticed the rpm needle stick at high rpm when braking. im going to go get that fixed this week, along with the fuse in the sub i blew. The navi is awesome, impossible to get lost, it takes a little bit to get the voice activation down. you have to talk in a robotic sort of voice. once you get all your addys in the address book its great, can just say for instance "go home" and you get the route asap, then you can set waypoints to wherever you want to go on the way. anyway, ive test driven every car in its class, gti, cobalt ss, mazdaspeed 3, rsx-s. forget which others i drove, anyway, i think the Si is the most fun to drive especially for the price, and i think it will last much longer. some of the other cars might be faster, for instance the mazdaspeed 3, but thats the ugliest car on the road and isnt nearly as fun to drive. i hated the gearbox in it and cardboard like seats and uninspired dash.
    anyway.. get a Si coupe, there awesome. oh yea, when you hit 6k rpm, its like a turbo kicks in and puts you back in your seat with a absolutely perfect vtec sound that just wants you to keep your foot on the peddle. loads of fun :D
  • mudpuddlesmudpuddles Member Posts: 6
    Seems like everyone here is pretty happy with it. I am fixing to go test drive one tomorrow. I am a little tore between it and the Fit. But if the Fit turns out to be closed to or about the same price as the Si i might just go with the Si. I dont trust the "build & price" at honda.com anymore. once i got to the dealer and saw that the A/T Sport was $5,000 more then what it said on line, I was in for a sticker shock. How much did ya'll pay. I am in WA so I know the price will be different but it gives me a good idea what a price tag looks like
    If you notice on that price tag, theres a market adjustment price on it. They add that because its a popular car and they sell fast. Its really very easy to get that off the price. Here in oregon the market adjustment was like 3000 extra or something. This is what I did, I told them i want an Si, im going to buy it today, but im not paying that market adjustment price, im only paying msrp for it. they will try to haggle and what not, just say well ive been to another dealership and there not going to charge me for the market adjustment. so in the end you will get it for msrp. My way i think is the most simple and gets to the point as quick as possible. So i paid 23,000 because i got the navigation , then i had fog lights and splash guards added which was like 650.
    good luck to ya :)
    I didn't even pay MSRP for mine... I wasn't able to get the Navigation, but without that $1700 pricetag, I still got mine for just over $20,000. But yes, I agree with themistocles, the "market adjustment" is just a load of it. That's only there to make you think that you got a good deal after you get it knocked off -- not true. The Si is in demand, but you still don't really have to pay MSRP. Think more in the range of within $1,000 of Invoice. So yea, the "adjustment" never even entered the question, and because I used a car-buying service through Costco (btw, I also got mine in Oregon), I was able to get a reasonable, pre-negotiated price without too much work on my part. However, if you check the other forums, most people were able to get about my price, or better. Exactly, I was $20,484, plus $169-ish for title/registration. No tax in Oregon, so I luckily saved ~$1.5k. Keep in mind, I did actually get the sedan, so the coupe is ~$200 cheaper.
  • mudpuddlesmudpuddles Member Posts: 6
    Thanks kork13 & themistocles, That helps me out a lot. It makes me feel like I could afford the car. Well I am off to find a dealer that has one in stock. I'll let you know how it goes.
    hey when i turn my lights on my 07 civic si, the spedmometer and tach lights dim. thats normal right? i cant remember if it did that before
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    That's pretty normal for vehicles. At night, when the headlights are on, you automatically dim down the gauge lights.
  • sarnmansarnman Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have experience with the VSA system in the new Si's? I know on some cars it kicks in way too early and some it helps out. My dad's Magnum has it and he says it keeps the car in line when he is really thrashing it.
    sarnman, i've found myself using it a couple times, and from what i can tell/feel, it's pretty helpful. I've never had it start to take over my steering or anything like that when i didn't want it to, but i have felt it start to play with things when i'm taking turns faster than i should be... ;) but who can blame me when the car's just that fun??
  • ucsb805ucsb805 Member Posts: 8
    As of today I am the proud owner of an 07 SI in Nighthawk Black Pearl. I'm in Southern California near Santa Barbara and had a great dealership experience that was so much more painless than I had expected. After researching the car to death and every other competitor (mazda speed, mini s, gti, etc.), test driving the SI sealed the deal. I paid $22.5 OTD ($20,500 base + TTL) and am happy with the deal, especially since the sales guy was great.

The car is beautiful, in & out, and handles like you wouldn't believe. I love it!!!!
  • sarnmansarnman Member Posts: 5
    I'm glad to hear that it isn't too intrusive. I know I've read some Lexus reviews where the stability control completely prevented spirited driving.

Btw, I asked this in the mpg forum, but what kind of gas mileage are you guys getting from your Si's? I'm still trying to decide between getting the Si and an Ex. If I could get 27 mpg when I really wanted to by driving lightly, I'd definitely get the Si.
    My friend, if you want to drive lightly, you can get over 30. At least by my experience, with about 40/60 hwy/city driving, I usually get about 30-31 mpg if I don't play around too much. I drove from Oregon to Colorado right after I bought mine, and got as high as 37 mpg. On this tank of gas, I'm having alot of fun, and it looks like I'm probably getting around 24-25 mpg or so... so it does fall off pretty sharply if you start high-revving and getting fast accel's, but even 23-24 is pretty acceptable (for me at least) if you're having alot of fun at the same time.
    get an si, youll be much happier. lol, my mom bought an EX like 2 months before i got my Si and she even regrets buying it. Better brakes, better handeling, more power, good gas mileage. on the freeway i get around 29-33 depending how im driving. If i actually used cruise control i could prolly get better.
  • aaronr121aaronr121 Member Posts: 91
    I've got an SI Sedan, and regularly get 27-29 mpg, in mixed driving. Even blowing the AC and some moderatly aggressive driving in day-to-day situations doesn't hurt mpg.

Since new, the worst tank of gas got a high 26 mpg. The best, 32 mpg.
    to those who are getting great gas mileage on the si, how far can you go on a tank? I would assume since you are getting around 37mpg, you should be able to go for almost 400 miles.
    i just filled my tank up, still had quarter tank or little more and 300 miles on the odometer. I just took out the spare tire and some crap i had in the trunk, lets see if i do a little better.
    Has anyone put the AEM cold air intake in there car? I see alotta ppl have put them in, I was curious if you need to do anything else to make sure you get the right mixture of air and fuel, or if the o2 sensor in the computer just compensates automatically.
    I was looking at the short ram intake too, but too me that doesnt look as efficient since its sucking in air right next to the engine, im sure its much better to be sucking in cold air from down below.
  • aaronr121aaronr121 Member Posts: 91
    I'm around the 320 mark when I fill up and it's usually around 11-12 gallons. So generally 27mpg.

Do wish the tank held a couple more gallons though. We easily put 300+ miles on in five days.
    The furthest I've dared gone was about 450 miles. Again, that was when I was making a long-distance drive, somewhat drafting off a friend in his 'vette, and trying to make the long drive as affordable as possible for mysrlf. Normally, however, I am getting to around 350 like the others...
    geez. I used to get slightly over 400 with my old ex.
    anyone know bout cold air intakes?? short ram or cold air for 06-07 si?
    :D
    cmon lets get this thread rollin! whos got the 18inch rims? how they run? what tires on em? how much is it for the window tint? :D ive decided, definitely dont want cold air intake, maybe shortram.. but really, the stock intake goes to the best area to suck up air. But it could be shorter! Im thinking the best thing would be to go from the air box, just right around the battery to the fender above the wheel where the stock pipe goes. rather than going down to the floor then back up. What you guys think? take a look
  • shadetooshadetoo Member Posts: 2
    if your getting that many miles per tank of gas then I want your si.The most I have ever got was 260 miles on a tank of gas with 2 bars left over on the gas gage,and I wasn't even beating on the car or reving past 5,000 rpms,shift points at 3-4 rpm,and it was all highway miles,with the cruse control on at 60 mph.
  • shadetooshadetoo Member Posts: 2
    I got the short ram injen intake and the only thing it did was make the car sound louder,but works good with a combination of upgrades.the most noticeable power gains I got was when I installed an engine torch damper got it from pro civic. I couldn't beleive it.Puts the power to the weels and it was pretty easy to install.It's also adjustable I have it on the stiffest setting it even made the car sound completely different,also I have a high flow catilyc converter,installed it myself,must get the 02 sencer elliminator or you will get a check engine light,happend to me.The sencor elliminator is sold sepperatly,but it did get rid of the check engine light.had to take the cat half way off to get it on there.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Yes, but what mileage did you get? Just saying "so and so bars left on the gauge" doesn't give any indication of mileage.

You'd need to divide the number of gallons pumped into the miles driven.

In my experience with my dad's 07 Civic EX, the low-fuel light didn't come on until about 1 bar left, and after that, it wasn't close to empty yet.

Revving to 4,000 RPM isn't exactly "driving easy" although cruising at 60 MPH is. The question is, if it was all highway miles, where was it your shift points were "under 5,000 rpm?" Just merging, or was some other driving involved?
  • drjondrjon Member Posts: 6
    Great car. I don't drive it too hard, or, despite having a Valentine I radar detector, town is swarming with traps. Only problems, a slightly notchy upshift from second to third, and the melting sun visor on driver's side. I've replaced it every summer X 3. When warranty runs out this spring I'm asking the dealer to sell me a bunch of visors wholesale.

Really a great car. A trip to drive in the mountains here.
  • civic11civic11 Member Posts: 2
    i can not find any info on what the top speed on the 07 si really is, does anyone know,or has any one experienced it for themselves. im kind of a [non-permissible content removed] when it comes to driving fast nowadays, must my age(lol) the fastest ive had mine is 102 mph, and i must say "smoooooth" i love my car,especially the way the nighthawk black pearl looks in the sun.
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    Limited to 130mph. 2006s are supposed to be ungoverned and capable of 140+ MPH.
  • steve08sisteve08si Member Posts: 4
    own an 08 si coupe and saw 33 mpg highway average speed 70+ from new york to maryland. around town you can get 23 to 27mpg depending on how you drive.
  • steve08sisteve08si Member Posts: 4
    08 si had it up to 120 but took a while to get there. with enough road and no cops could see it hit 130 tops. also your nearing redline at those speeds.
    6th gear isn't where you'd hit top end.
  • civic11civic11 Member Posts: 2
    im thinking of installing a factory performance muffler for my si,has any one bought one of these?is it much louder than stock?and is it worth 315$. i would appreciate any help on this before i buy. thank you.
    No. No. No - in that order.
  • ca_roadca_road Member Posts: 2
    NE1 know??

Thanks
  • cybercubancybercuban Member Posts: 4
    I will be receiving a new 2012 Civic Si Coupe wih navigation and summer tires, which I won in a sweepstakes. The car is being built, and in short supply due to the earthquake in Japan. My question is this: If I were to sell this, or trade it in for a different car, how much can it bring?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.