Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Murano CVT Transmission

Comments

• mikesmuranomikesmurano Member Posts: 118
    edited May 2011
    Bro,

Thank you for your diplomatically stated criticisms.

I am sorry, but I am baffled that you don't get it!

Telling someone that they should not have bought a first generation car after it displays horrendous problems is an insult (crickets chirping).

And, as a matter of fact, the 2nd gen CVT's are also showing the same problems as before. As the next few years unfold and the miles rack up you will see that I am right.

BTW, the Maxima has a completely different throttle system than the Murano. This is a contributing factor.

Enough said. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • unhappy34unhappy34 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for posting the positive side of owning a Nissan. However, those of us like Mike who have had continual expensive problems with their Muranos with no support from Nissan as a company, will never buy another Nissan or could not recommend doing so to anyone. My life got much better once I made the decision to get rid of my 2003 Murano and stop the financial drain and frustration with those who could never seem to fix the car right. We are all entitled to our opinions and our opinions come from our personal experience with our Nissans.
    edited May 2011
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Fellow Beleagured "Murano Owners",

Please use the above link for the NTSB to file a complaint. It only takes a few minutes. You will need your VIN info., etc.

Currently, there are mounting compaints about the safety hazzards of the Nissan Murano CVT's. I have read through many of the reports.

There seems to be a shell game going on with Nissan Customer Service and the dealers.

Deny, delay, deny.........

If you are experiencing problems with your CVT, the dealer will advise that it is part "X" (say e.g. - a "TCM, or seals or the case; or the solenoid valve body") - which is not covered under any warranty. They will replace the part(s) at your cost; this will help you limp along for a few more months until you experience total faliure (like I did).

This is being done to a lot of people who have cars that are about to run out of warranty. When you cross the magic (120,000 miles) you're SCREWED!

The average cost to replace is ~$6000. I read of a story where a Murano owner replaced his CVT twice in 14 months ($12K).

I am not one for conspiracy theories; but, this one smells bad.

Please file your complaints (any topic); even if you got rid of the car.

I am looking for a class action link and will post when it surfaces.

Nissan: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Thanks for the back up.

You said it well.

See my post above about the NTSB.

Thx.
    Smarty666,

I guess you missed this one! This is the 2nd gen. CVT (2010)!

#578 of 587 Re: Happy at last sold my Murano [ihatenissan] by heather31 May 19, 2011 (6:22 pm)
    Replying to: ihatenissan (May 19, 2011 4:25 pm)

Hi all, I'm new and came to this board looking because I have 2010 Murano with 11,000 miles. The transfer case went bad and I just had it replaced, I have still smelled the burning oil smell and had it rechecked again today. I was told it was fine and there is nothing wrong with the car. I've been reading all these problems with the transfer case and transmission. Can you tell me if the problems still continue once the part has been replaced?

I have the oportunity to trade this vehicle without a loss and I'm not sure what to do, if this is going to be an ongoing problem then I'm going to trade the car. If not then I'll keep it. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks!!!
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I didn't miss anything Mike, nor did I ever say the problem does not exist. I feel bad you all went through this and you should have but anyone that bought a 2003-2005 Murano was just asking for trouble when you had a brand new vehicle from Nissan, paired with a brand new mass market transmission. Why do you think I waited over 8 years to get a Nissan. I wanted to give them time to work out the CVT kinks before getting one because I knew these facts and did not want to take a chance. I am just saying, that quoting a few dozen Murano owners on here does not show proof of massive widespread issues, especially with the 2nd Gen Murano. I mean Nissan sells several thousands of them per month, it gets wide positive reviews, yet quoting a few dozen disgruntled (and rightly so) Murano owners is not a decent sample size of the car's total population on the road. I'm just putting things into perspective.

All I was doing was adding some of the positive experience people with the Nissan CVT have had to balance out the negative, that is all. My best advice is to get test drive it and see if it is for you. If not, go some where else, simple as that. If I went through what you and others did, I wouldn't get a Nissan either, but luckily I did not :P
  • bkendbkend Member Posts: 3
    Update!!!!! See message 571. 51 miles after having the IPDM replaced the car started having the same symptoms. It feels like it shifts down to 1st gear and sometimes the engine races with high RPM's. The dealership checked it out again and told me that they don't feel any shifting problems. Last night I was driving home and the car downshifted and stuck in 1st gear. I immediately drove it 35 miles to the dealership at 40mph (max speed in 1st gear without blowing up the car) and parked it in front of the service dept. I tried restarting the car and it would not even turn over. The exact same thing that happened 3 weeks earlier that cost me an $85 tow and $825 for an IPDM. They couldnt tell me anything today. Because they don't have a clue. I am screwed on this car and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.
  • jurnijurni Member Posts: 7
    Update:03 Murano is finally bye bye. After those same issues 2x and almost $5600 later I finally got somebody to take it off my hands. I purchased a Toyota 4runner. Never another Nissan. :mad:
    I know some are tired of me saying this; and, I don't wish to spam this thread; but, I would see if the dealer will take the car off your hands.

Look for something else in the their used car selection.

A Toyota or Honda would be a safe and better vehicle.

Sorry for your pain. My concern for you is what I went through. They kept replacing components in & around my CVT that were nothing but patches.

It prolonged the drama and eventually I could no longer afford to keep Nissan in the lap of luxery. :sick:
    You are FREE, FREE, FREE at last!

Congratulations! This was a brave and smart decision! ;)
  • sage4444sage4444 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Nissan Murano, and it's now been at the dealership for over a week waiting to have the transfer case leak fixed. A few months prior, I had a power steering leak (this is a brand new car purchased 1 yr ago - 21,000 miles on it). Very dissapointed about these two problems happening on such a new car. I owned at Toyota Camry Solara for almost 6 yrs, and the only problem I had was they needed to reprogram the moonroof a couple of times.
  • mew012mew012 Member Posts: 2
    I too have a 2010 Murano. I had the leak and smell of oil from the day I drove it off the lot. I kept complaining and they told me it was an axel seal. Did not help. Then they tried to tell me that the dip stick was not in tightly enough. Finally I had enough and said FIX it. They said it was the transfer case. The had it fixed in a few days. Lucky for me because i drove to the Florida keys from long Island 2 days later. I have ahd no problems since the fix. I did complain to Nissan USA and they gave me a $200 service credit, which is good for parts or oil changes etc. When they send you a survey, tell them how unhappy you are. I drove Subaru's for over 12 years and as soon as my lease is up i am going back to subaru!
    Good luck!
  • sage4444sage4444 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply! It's interesting to read everyone's issues with the transfer case with the Murano. I will definitely complete the survey as you suggested! I did buy the extended warranty on this car (and don't usually buy those), and glad I did (I guess I'll have to read all the fine print as to what is covered in case of problems down the road). Wow! NY to FL - long drive!! I live in MA and drove to FL once...never again..LOL. Glad to hear your car is doing well now. :)
    Be careful. There are a lot of exclusions in the Murano CVT warranties.

The statistics seem to be climbing now in the 2009 & 2010 Muranos.

The CVT's continue to display the same problem as in earlier models.

Be warry! These cars are very problematic. :lemon:
  • jayhawk70jayhawk70 Member Posts: 56
    mikesmurano claims: "Be warry! These cars are very problematic."

Not true.

Folks, mikesmurano has been spamming this forum for many months now with false claims about the Murano because of his rare bad experience. HIS car may have been problematic, and a very few other folks may have, but both Consumer Reports and JD Powers say otherwise, giving the Murano high marks for reliability and quality. For example, you can see JD Powers very high ranking for drivetrain reliability (which is mikesmurano's particular complaint), as can be seen here:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Nissan_Murano/2010/Reliability/-

If your looking for real reliability info on a vehicle, Consumer Reports, JD Powers and others are far better sources than this forum!

Of course, if you don't like what Consumer Reports or JD Powers are saying about the drivetrain relibility, then I guess my experience is just as good a Mikes. Our Murano is 30 months old, has 55,000 miles on it with completely trouble free operation. It is an AWD (with the transfer case) and it made numerous trips through mountains and deserts (got the AWD for the ski trips in the Sierras - and needed it for the snow storms at Tahoe on Memorial Day weekend!) We also have towed trailers full of furniture the length of California (moving relatives) . It still works smoothly and trouble free. Based on many many other reviews and posts on other forums, that is the common trend for Murano owners.

I do think Nissan needs to upgrade their dealer service departments. (Who are all dirty lying part swappers. But that's how I feel about every manufacturer's service departments...:-)

If your looking for info on Muranos, I recommend a google search for "Murano forum" to find other forums that have folks with better answers to your questions than you are likely to find at a forum that has been co-opted by posters with a vendetta.

--jayhawk
  • coconinococonino Member Posts: 3
    Jayhawk, there are clearly a lot of other people posting to this forum who have Murano problems (we like to say Morono here at my house), and not just the early years, either. I looked at Consumer Reports and many other "reviews" before I bought mine, a 2004 with 16K miles on it at the time. They were nearly worthless and did not warn me of the problems I and others would eventually face. I've learned my lesson; I trust forums and NTSB complaints to get a better picture of how a car is performing and what the issues may be. Good luck with your car.
    edited June 2011
    Wise words.

I have been trying to help my neighbor resolve his CVT problems with his 2009 "Morono". He is experiencing the leaking CVT case issue.

He is also experiencing the symptom of the car creeping then speeding up.

These are the same issues I had with my 2003.

The dealer is acting as though they do not know what the problem is. No codes. His car only has ~20,000 miles.

So much for fixing the problem in the "new" 2009 models!

Thanks.
    edited June 2011
    Your right; I guess I'm wrong. My sincere apologies!
    However, you may want to read through some of these issues before finally concluding.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/6716-current-murano-tsbs-listed-n- - - issan-website.html

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3okIttbQuVc

http://hubpages.com/hub/Nissan-Refuses-to-Recall-Murano-Despite-Major-CVT-Proble- - - ms

http://nissan.pissedconsumer.com/murano-visor-and-stereo-problems-20090415147624- - - .html

http://forums.nicoclub.com/murano-forum.html

Interestingly, the CVT and other problems are consistent throughout. They transcend the year and particular model.

Some of the links are even from Murano enthusiast web sites. The second one I listed has links to all of the NTSB files/cases that are active.

This should be helpful information to all readers Stever - not spamming.

Sincere regards. :)
  • kcjim888kcjim888 Member Posts: 6
    Hi to all.
    I have looked at the info that mikesmurano provided. It is possible I looked at the wrong links - especially as I copied the link from youtube to another tab.

First two links at nissanmurano.org, of which I am a member - I endorse it fully to other Murano owners. There was a poll of "failed CVT" by mileage. There were 145 responses of failure across all model years for that poll population.

The number of posters on the failed CVT issues, including the transfer case issues was out numbered by the ones on how to lower suspension, add headers and higher performance intake parts, and improve the effectiveness of the airconditioning systems (excellent post BTW for those in warmer climates).

The youtube link was only an ad for repairmanuals in the UK. There was no mention of CVT issues in the 57 sec commercial - they may have changed the link on mikemurano after he posted it - or I may have cut and pasted something wrong. They did have a video of a Murano rollover to the right at the youtube site.

The next link was a post by a prospective Murano owner (he loves Subarus) but he decided not to buy one due to the things he saw on the internet regarding the "CVT problems" so to be fair, as he was not a "expert source" but was only repeating others comments I think this one is moot as evidence.

The next link was a complaint (pissedoffcustomer site) about sun visors... not CVT so I do not see the relevance to the CVT discussion.

The last link was not directly linked to a CVT thread - but I found one on the site that was about "2003 CVT problem". It had entries from 2007-2011. It had 124 posts - some of which were folks discussing the extended warranty and a few praising the CVT.

I am not saying that mikemurano has all this wrong - indeed there have been CVT / transfer case failures on all model years. My only point is that the evidence submitted so far does not make a case for a disastrous design failures that have been touted thus far, the successful transmissions seem to outweigh the bad experiences by a large percentage. Any transmission failure is a bad thing, but I would think we should compare this vehicle to all similar vehicles in its class, and I think we would find that this is not a failure prone product.

Final note - I had a 1988 Delta 88 that had a transmission fail in it at about 65k. I put 3 more transmissions in it, some admittedly under the AAMCO warranty and I would have to say that once a tranny is gone - if someone rebuilds it, that is the time to trade the car. It will fail again, personal opinion, and not a disparagement on all 1988 - to whatever Oldsmobiles. I would not buy another Oldsmobile (I know lots that did and had a fine experience), but I would not make it my goal in life to have Nissan go out of business, as it seems to be for some posters in this thread. (alas Oldsmobile is gone without any effort on my part )
    Thanks for your comments.

If you dig a little deeper you will find what was offered.

If you wish to believe the Nissan CVT is great you're certainly entitled to you opinion.
  • torontofreddytorontofreddy Member Posts: 1
    NOt sure where u r from. In Canada, the '06 Murano tranny has an exended warantee good for 200,000 kilometeres. Should be close in miles.
  • jancojanco Member Posts: 1
    My family and I were driving from Georgia to Miami in our 2010 Murano when the transmission failed in the St. Augustine area. We had to be towed to the dealship. They gave us a rental car and said it would take about a week to repair the car. Then we will have to drive from our home in Miam to St. Augustine (300) each way to pick it up. our Murano only had 28K miles on it. Now I am not certain if I want it back.
    DJ
    DJ I am sorry to hear of your troubles with the Murano. I feel your pain. Just glad your family is safe and no one was injured. My tranny went on my 2003 at 42K and once it was fixed it was fine til 110K when everything else started acting up too. I can't say yours will last that long but if you can get out of it I would. don't get me wrong I loved the car but didnt love the problems that came with it. At 134K I finally got rid of it last month cause that sensor/transfer case went again after it was fixed in 2010. I am done with Nissan cause they are not doing anything about this problem that so many of us were having. :sick:
    I am loving :blush: my 2010 Toyota 4runner. My dad has had his 2006 which now has 189K on it, still rolling strong and no major issues at all. I hope to get just as much longevity out of mine as he has his. Good Luck!!!!
    I totally concur. I also purchased a 4Runner (my 2nd one - I should have never sold the first) to replace my beleaguered Murano.

If you are having this kind of problem with a relatively new car you should minimize your risk exposure and move to something more reliable.

Best of luck!
  • jayhawk70jayhawk70 Member Posts: 56
    edited June 2011
    mikesmurano continues to mislead about Murano drivetrain reliability.

JD Powers (you know, the folks that actually do statistically valid surveys!) say otherwise at

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Nissan/Murano/2009/SUV/ratings/

Please note that this JD Powers survey of 3 year old Muranos shows that:

1. Powertrain Quality Mechanical is "Better than most" (4 out of 5 stars)
    2. Powertrain Quality Design is in the "Among the Best" range (4.5 out of 5 stars)

Are their folks with problems? Sure. But if you follow mikesmurano's advice to "move to something more reliable" you are probably going to find yourself in worse shape, according to the real data.

The vast majority of Murano owners have very reliable vehicles and don't complain here. They are out enjoying an advanced vehicle that is a great value when compared to other similar crossovers.
  • larry666larry666 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2011
    After my cvt trans went out on my '03 Murano is was replaced by the dealer, I'am now experiencing a problem different from the the first one. Now when it accellerates it must reach 3000rpm before it starts moving, then as you go, the rpm's come down to normal. It was at the dealer for 10 days going under numerous testing and data being sent to Nissan. Each time Nissan claims there is nothing wrong with CVT. This started slowly happening after the CVT was replaced 3000 miles ago. It has progressed slowly to the point I beleive there will be more problems ahead. The dealer says they admit there is a problem, but can't figure it out. But they want to milk me more for more testing when the service rep. is there in 10 days. They already have $500+ from me and I don't want to give more! Is anybody had this type of issue? :confuse:
    Do these tranny's have a torque convertor like a conventional trans? I admit not knowing alot about these cvt's, just seems like a loose convertor to me.
    jayhawk70,

Does the JD Power survey, data or other have any information that would be helpful to larry666 in post #612?

Hmmm........

Since returning to conventional transmission oriented vehicles I am actually experiencing nirvana.

How about you? How many miles does your Murano CVT have now?
    @Larry666 I did have the same problem with my '03 Murano :mad: in March 2010 with about 108K miles on it. Nissan Service dept changed the sensor ($1100) and some other things and it lasted about 12K miles and it began happening again :sick: as I was coming home from work one day in Feb. 2011. I got rid of it in May and purchased a toyota 4runner. I really liked the Murano but too many problems that Nissan claims they can't figure out. My money is not that long to keep putting my car in the shop for Nissan to say, "we can't seem to find the problem" . Good luck and if you read the entire thread you will see there are many Murano owners who had problems with the tranny (CVT).
    @jurni, It has 99,880 miles on it currently. As you, my wife and I like the vehicle but I'm waiting for something like the transfer case to go out and I really don't want that to happen. The warranty is good for a 120k for the engine and trans., but if something else fails I'm screwed. I don't know wether to get rid of it now or wait. :confuse:
  • dumbasssdumbasss Member Posts: 1
    Really... nissan is a decent vehicle for the money... cvt is new technology such I agree sucks and could have waited instead of jeopardizing their customers and testing them... I will not buy a cvt if any car was equipped with it. But their old conventional transmission is great I have owned nissan all my life and have had a great experience with them until cvt transmission came out but at least they are moving forward and trying new things and advancing to give a better smoother ride they just don't seem to be testing their equipment enough before selling it and providing a bad experience to the customer such will then push them away from purchasing another nissan like yourself, last time I checked there is no other car maker that is perfect even though I wish there was! Anyway give nissan another chance try their conventional auto trans its just that much better... what car do you own now? Im sure you never had a problem with it but if you start a forum stating that you have im sure you will get just as many as there are on this one??? Who knows maybe wont know until its tried.
  • beyensbeyens Member Posts: 1
    I would get rid of the Murano , as I am going to get rid of our 03 Murano as soon as the drive train issues are repaired. I've already replace the Nissan now I just have to send it in for the repairs , then off it goes, problem solved.
  • mmmmdmmmmd Member Posts: 3
    I bought a new 2007 murano. With only 9000miles the CVT failed. It was replaced at dealer's expense. At 3.5years, just at 60,000 It smelled like something was burning. It was diagnosed as a leaking transfer case. I paid to have it fixed since it was just out of warranty. Now not 2 months later, the transfer case is bad and needs to be replaced. Of course they will not acknowledge that it may have been bad along with the CVT or damaged the first time the CVT was changed or replaced incorrectly when the seals were changed.

I have not heard back from the manager...of course.

Would a laywer be helpful?
    I think a lawyer raises the bar too quickly - IMO. I would check the Nissan web site for contact information and ask for the area manager that covers service for your state / geographical area. They make rounds to the various dealerships and you can talk with them directly about your issue. A few simple words without temper may go a long way in getting $ back from Nissan. Mentioning your intention to the dealer may grease the skids as well since with 2 months past seems a feeble defense on their part versus the goodwill received.

I purchased my 2007 Nissan Murano used - but given the notes here I have the wrap around extra cost warranty that covers specifically transfer cases and seals. I hope I never need to use it, but I would rather lose the cash from non-use than cover the repairs (and hassle you describe) out of pocket. Best wishes and good luck in your repairs.
    After two calls to the manager, and explaining the situation, the disappointment, bad luck, etc., the dealership has agreed to replace the transfer case free of charge. Still am looking to dump the car. I just can't trust the drivetrain any longer, and I want out while the car still has significant resale value. Sad, but I really like the car.
    Hi - I understand completely and agree with your direction. I think it is a great car, but if the drivetrain on mine goes kaput (even under warranty) the day it is replaced is the day I trade it off. No percentage in "hoping" for the best. Life is too short to be sitting waiting in the service area for a fix.
  • robwirobwi Member Posts: 2
    Hesitation... I have a 2003 Murano. Mileage 98,000. After driving on the highway for at least an hour, the car hesitates after a stop. I hit stop and go traffic when traveling through a city. Every time I started, the car hesitated for 4 to 5 seconds while the engine revved. Then it jumped forward. Then, driving at highway speeds again, I could feel slippage in speed. my check engine light was on.
    Brought it to the Nissan dealer from whom it was purchased. They WERE able to reproduce problem. Error code: Bank One and Bank two intake control solenoids. They checked this condition, and found them to be working properly. They are denying that it is the CVT, and instead saying that it looks like the engine. After reading this forum and Edmunds, I now believe that it is the CVT. Thanks everybody, I will post again with more info.
  • kiwigalkiwigal Member Posts: 8
    Gosh lucky you.. I had to do my transfer case assembly "twice" within six months of each other... thousands of dollars.. silly me had a "friend" do it for me the first time to try and save money and it worked great for 6 months then literally blew up inside and then I went to my fabulous mechanics in Berkeley, Oceanworks, and paid the same amount anyway and got a replacement case and so far so good but boy I'm paranoid about it. I check that fluid level all the time.. the first time it went was because there was a leak that NO-ONE detected until too late and of course this all started about 2K after warranty ran out.. At least Nissan has extended the CVT warranty to 120K I think... I got a letter from them and an application to reimbursement but I am going to write to them anyway and so if there is any kind of warranty extension done because of these CVT, transfer case assembly etc. problems that seem rampant I may get some of my $$$ back PLUS unless you write to them how do they know the extent of problems. I don't use the Nissan dealer to fix my car although I use a reputable licensed repair shop so I am going to write a letter...
  • mikev4mikev4 Member Posts: 11
    I took my car to Colonial Nissan with CVT problem (according to my mechanic oil was leaking from the inside of transmission). They came out with different version of problem that was not covered by warranty.
  • pawlybaulspawlybauls Member Posts: 8
    Bank One and Two both went out? Sounds like a blown fuse. The intake control fuse isn't listed in your owner's manual. In fact, none of them are! I guess you have to go one by one.
  • macs8953macs8953 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i have an 05 Murano SL with 140K miles on it. Last week I learned that the engine was trashed after running with low/no oil - my teenage son drove it for several weeks and didn't pick up on the signs, but that's a different story.

The local Nissan dealer says they can replace the engine with a used (59K miles) engine for ~$5500. On the surface this seems OK because if I can get a couple more years it would be worth it compared to having to buy a new car.

The question is should I worry about the CVT transmission at this point? I know these have had bad press over the years but I have had it service regularly at the dealer every 30K miles with the last service having been done at 120K miles.

My other choice is to get rid of the car but I know I won't get anything for it.

Any opinions on the longevity of the transmission? Is there something I can do to find out what state it's in?
    I would think you are on borrowed time. That's alot of $$ to put into a car with that many miles and years. But it is cheaper than a newer car. How lucky do you feel

I had a 6yo pathfinder with 103K miles that blew an engine. 5k to repair. Transmission was starting to act funny at that time. I gave it to charity...got $3500 tax write off. beat trade in.

My murano needed a trans at 9K miles(covered) ; transfer case leak repair at 60K ($300) and 2 months later a new transfer case (covered under threat of lawyer). Also power steering need stuffed, another ($400). My car is not 4yo and has 69K miles. I was just offered 11K at trade-in. Similar cars were listing at 18-22K in used lots.

Funny, they offered me a used Honda CRV with similar miles and year for 18K. So way smaller car, less features... My murano +$8K = small used CRV. Insulting.

I believe the extended CVT coverage expired at 120K miles.

I don't think this helps much, but transfer case and trans are very expensive ($4k each) and may not even be covered with extended warranties. My vote would be to dump it, uness you can get a warranty.

Next car for me is a Honda or Toyota.

Best of luck.
    CVT coverage was extended my Nissan to 120K but your way passed that! They sent a letter out over a year ago and a form that you could fill out if you had to have yours repaired so you could get reimbursed. Unfortunately they haven't done a recall or extended warranty on the transfer case assembly; mine blew once because of an undetected oil leak and I got it repaired by a "friend" and that blew up 6 months later and I had my amazing mechanics fix it this time... long story but very expensive. Maybe get your transmission checked really well before putting engine in... Personally I love my Murano; I like the look, I like the comfort and except for the transfer assembly issue I haven't had too much trouble....
  • nissanmurano1nissanmurano1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I have this loud clunking sound driving forward and back. I also have 140,000 miles on my '03 Nissan Murano. Nissan dealership said I need to replace my transfer case. Now that I saw this website it seems like this has been a problem with Muranos but unfortunately not on their recall list. I had 100,000 miles warranty..bought my car brand new. I've had so much issues with this car when I'm diligently doing all the maintenance as recommended. One thing that surprises me too is that the check engine light did not go off when the fluid is apparently low/now drained per Nissan. I'm really frustrated that Nissan is asking $4000.00 to get this transfer case fixed. I don't know what to do at this point since kelly blue book value is only $4500.00 now.

I need help! If Nissan will take care of repairs then I'll keep the car. I just don't have that money right now to pay $4000.00.

Any advise?
    I had to do mine twice... the first time there was a leak but it went "undetected" by everyone! Drive through oil change places didn't check the dip stick for the transfer case (there is a completely seperate dip stick to check by-the-way under the hood). I never saw any kind of fluid on the ground and didn't detect a problem myself until I got noise. I blamed myself for that one because I was using drive-through oil change places as I didn't like the local dealer repair shop. By the time I realized something was terribly wrong there was no fluid in there at all and there was so much play in the drive shaft that we knew parts were really messed up.

I took it to a very skilled mechanic friend of mine trying to save money and did all the buying of the parts myself and he fixed it but he dropped the whole engine to do it as he didnt' have the equipment the dealer does (they don't have to do that) and so I still paid out nearly $3K. 6 months later it literally blew apart and this time I did go to a shop recommended to me whom I still use to this day and they got a "refurbished" assembly from Nissan and installed it for under $3K. My transfer case wouldn't hold fluid at the end ... if you could get an independent shop to maybe see if yours will still hold fluid you may be able to drive for a bit while you try and deal with Nissan directly. I definitely think you should contact Nissan about it, as I did, and let them know. There are tons and tons of people complaining about this on this site and others and when I went to the dealer to get all my parts they were quite aware of this problem and also suggested I write to Nissan and complain. There must have been a lot of complaints about the transmission because they extended that warranty to 120K and sent out a letter and form telling people if they had replaced/fixed their transmission they could get a refund -- they should be doing the same thing with the transfer case assembly but unless we complain I don't think that is going to happen....
  • sgtrock62sgtrock62 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2010 Nissan Murano with 40'000 miles. The CVT just went out on it. Nissan is replacing it with a new one. It seems like everything I've read seems to indicate that once you replace the transmission, you will have problems from there on out. Has anyone had theirs replaced and had no more problems?
  • kitten2001kitten2001 Member Posts: 1
    I have become extremely frustrated with my 2003 murano. My transmission has failed 3 times. the first time was at 49,000 miles (failed transmissionhad it repaired and at 54,000 had the transmission replaced and now at 169, 000 (failed transmission) (currently siting at nissan dealership) . I refuse to pay $4,000, especially since I am now unemployed . Each time the car stopped in the middle of the highway or on a major street. Each time puting my young son and I in danger.

the last transmission did not even last 120,000 miles.
    I need help desperately.

I purchased the car new, I am the only owner of this car. what a big mess.
    I really feel your frustration (@kitten2001). The only suggestion I have is try to get rid of it and buy something else. It is really sad that the murano can not last more than 120K. :mad:

I know it is easier said than done especially with the holidays coming around and the economy really sucks too but purchasing something else (toyota, lexus, honda) may be your best bet.
  • eleratorelerator Member Posts: 7
    I have an '03 Murano with 158K miles on it. All of my "transmission problems" have been nothing more than a leak in the air flow system from the filter to the engine. In other words, nothing about the transmission has caused me any grief. You're right to be concerned. My tranny, per this blog, shouldn't still be working. I've defied the logic of "30k miles is too few to change the fluid in the transmission" and change it every 25k miles, even if the book states to change it at 30k. This may be one reason my 1985 Nissan Maxima wagon has 356.5k miles and still running strong!
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    Based on the terrible service experience at my local nissan dealer, I would hazard a guess that some customers who pay for cvt tranny fluid changes are not getting them. I draw this conclusion from what I read on this thread. Either do it yourself, or purchase the fluid and have a trusted friend or service station do it while you watch. RR70