Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Stratus Engine Problems

mbt3mbt3 Member Posts: 3
i have a 2002 stratus SE and about a month ago something in the engine starting rattling when i accelerate up to about 45-50 mph. it ran out of oil around december but the rattling just started. does anyone know what the problem may be? Please HELP

Comments

• mbt3mbt3 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2002 stratus SE and about a month ago something in the engine starting rattling when i accelerate up to about 45-50 mph. it ran out of oil around december but the rattling just started. does anyone know what the problem may be? took to the dodge dealership and various other shops no one seems to know what the problem is. they said it's not the lifters, not carbon build up(had that done), it's not running hot or smoking either!!! Please HELP
    :sick:
  • ahmed_usiefahmed_usief Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem in my stratus 2000 but doesn't do anything.
    the sound start at 45mph and stay for a while then stoped
  • ijo417ijo417 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Dodge Stratus tries to overheat while I'm at a stop. It only does this at Idle. Does anyone know what this could possibly be. I'm not good with cars so I just need some help. Thanks.
  • mbt3mbt3 Member Posts: 3
    it could be a number of things. try getting the hose, radiator, clamps and thermostat checked. doesn't sound too major though. ;)
  • gene3no24gene3no24 Member Posts: 1
    my 98 does the exact same thing i bought it new, and can say this. i have, as you do, both low speed and high speed radiator fans.i have been able to determine that for some reason, when the high speed fan kicks on, something is shutting the low speed fan off. this reduces the flow of air to cool the radiator at idle. the car needs both fans at certain times to properly cool the radiator.i have changed both fan relays. no help. paid 65.00 for a diagnosis at the dealership, no help. i dont know what else to do. maybe with this info you could get some help. if so let me know thanks
  • tcmengineertcmengineer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Stratus. Recently, I would notice that when driving at speeds around 60MPH (open highway driving) the engine would feel different. What happens is that all of a sudden, the engine RPMs jumped a couple hundred. It feels as if something turns off and on (pump, etc.). There is no hard jolt or change in gears but that small tug of the RPM changing slightly and the slight change in torque.

Is it something of major concern? What can possibly be going on?
  • barlaurs2barlaurs2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Stratus that the timing belt broke while I was going 65 mph. I've been told that with over 190000 miles on it I'd be better off replacing the engine. How do I get it out?
  • eileen2eileen2 Member Posts: 1
    my lights bells fan work battery ok but when you turn the key on not a sound
  • ziggyzaggyziggyzaggy Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone ever figured out for sure why we all keep blowing this fuse when we try to start our cars? I've searched many forums and all I ever see is "It might be...".
    With it being such a common problem someone must have a definate answer by now. Please help if you can
  • phunerphuner Member Posts: 1
    I also have a dodge stratus, I about went crazy trying to fix it. I then found out that my car was a recall. You might want to check that out.
  • chass1chass1 Member Posts: 1
    my 1996 dodge stratus won't start
  • aunderwoodaunderwood Member Posts: 2
    I am having issues when starting my Stratus. Its usually the first start of the day and since its gotten colder when i start the car, it wants to continuously die. I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal to keep it running. It takes about 20 minutes of leaving my foot on the gas and the rev dial around 1500 rpms just to get it "warmed up" enough to put into gear. Its really turned into a hassle and i know it could be a million different things but i don't have the finances to just keep guessing. any suggestions?
  • stratus4stratus4 Member Posts: 1
    when I'm drivng along after about 40 or 50 miles the engine cuts out for a couple of seconds and then keeps running doing this every so often. The check engine light comes on and sometimes the altenator light. But if I step down on the accelerater pretty good it then acts normal.I changed the ignition coil, plug wires, plugs, and the cam shaft position sensor. Does it sound like a leaking head gasket ? I don't know whats up with the altenater light, maybe from the engine cutting out.
  • vitaliy1vitaliy1 Member Posts: 3
    I am from russia.I have 2002 stratus with engine 2.7.I use engine oil mobil 1 5w50 and I have no what problems with the engine.Many people use this oil and too have no what problems with the engine.And that the bulb of pressure of oil did not blink, it is necessary to remove condensation from an end face of a socket on the gauge.Thanks for attention. I hope that my advice will help somebody. Forgive for bad English.
  • syndeegirlsyndeegirl Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 dodge stratus 4cyl car has been accelerating with out the gas pedal being pushed down. I tested the cruise control first to make sure that wasnt it. I disconnected the cruise vacuum hose, but it still did the same thing. It is very interesting. I will be driving with no problems until after a stop sometimes it will accelerate by itself. The pedal pulls away from my foot just like cruise control but only lasts for approx 3-5secs. It has started getting longer and today it started as soon as i put my car into drive. THANK GOODNESS FOR GOOD BRAKES!!! Does anyone have any info that could help me diagnose why my car is trying to drive itself?
  • 99strat99strat Member Posts: 5
    Might wanna make sure the auxiliary fan is working. I had this prob in my 99 Stratus. If the aux fan goes, BOTH fans have to be replaced on the 99.
  • 99strat99strat Member Posts: 5
    My 99 has over 266k miles. If your engine and transmission are running fine, there's no need to pull them.
  • boozohboozoh Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2002 Stratus 2.4 DOHC, When the cam sensor is plugged in it will not get any fire. If I unplug it car will start but runs terrible. I have replaced the Cam Shaft Sensor, The Magnetic pick-up on the cam. The Crank Shaft Sensor, The Coil Pack, Spark Plugs. What Next Do I Try.
  • tsquiertsquier Member Posts: 1
    My son has a 98 Stratus, initially we had to jump start the car. He drove it about 30 miles and parked the car. Tried to start it and it wouldn't start, even with a jump. So replaced the battery and the ECM was replaced. Still no start. Took the car to the garage and they put plugs, coil , cam sensor on it. The car started. Again drove it like 30-40 miles and it quit and won't start again. Any suggestions?
  • xphilexphile Member Posts: 2
    Had this problem 3 times, the dealership blamed it on the fact that I had a remote
    starter put in my car. Removed the remote and haven't blown any fuses.
  • jodi28jodi28 Member Posts: 1
    My mom has a 2000 dodge stratus se and she had a rattle also - it was diagnosed as a "brick like" in her catalytic converter.
  • johndimartinojohndimartino Member Posts: 3
    The cat on my 97 rattles too, remember the Catalytic convertor on OBD2 cars(96 and newer) is federal warranty 8 yrs/80K miles,so if yours is rattling,and under warranty,get it fixed free! It will onlyget worse,and plug up,reducing power,and mileage,or it will throw rear 02 sensor codes,which will keep you from passing emissions inspections,and keep that check eng light on.
  • 02stratusrt02stratusrt Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Stratus R/t with 90,000 miles only. It ran fine 'till one day i was driving it and it seemed like it does'nt have any power. After then, the car won't start anymore. I have sparks, ignition, the motor cranks over by hand, the injector sprays some fuel but not sure if the pressure is enough. I don't know how to check the fuel pressure i can't fine a place to tap a guage. It never been overheated, any suggestons? Thanks
  • sadiebsadieb Member Posts: 1
    I got a 97 Dodge Stratus it over heated put a now water pump in it and wrote start
    I need the timeimg marks and maybe not hooked everthing back up the way its so post to be and need to now how to hook up a water pump step be step
  • opposed88opposed88 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 stratus and the battery light is constantly coming on. The lights and dash are flickering bad but only with the vent control on floor. I am thinking it is the defrost switch but i am not a mechanic. Any ideas?
  • wheelmanwheelman Member Posts: 52
    Sounds like the A/C compressor cycling

WheelMan
  • wheelmanwheelman Member Posts: 52
    Definitely an electrical problem which could mean alternator failure, loose drive belts, failing voltage regulator. Best course of action: Go to a autoparts store like Advance of AutoZone and have the guys do an electrical diagnostic test on your vehicle. Most of these stores will do the test for Free.

WheelMan
  • brockdunfordbrockdunford Member Posts: 1
    While driving my 2001 Dodge Stratus 2.2 Z series, the engine shut off and will not start. It does turn over but does not start. Help?

Paul :confuse:
  • joethejazzmanjoethejazzman Member Posts: 1
    why does Dodge build a disposable engine? My timing belt broke and when I went to my local garage he told me that I had what he called an interference engine and that when a timing belt goes out that it causes engine damage,so depending on the damage it may be cheaper to junk the car,I cannot believe they build something like this,without anybody warning me that the belt should be replaced say every 50,000 miles?
  • jae4jae4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus ES with the 2.5 ltr V-6. I have the same problem but at low and high speeds. I recently changed the input sensor on the transmission. I haven't had the problem since, but I am not sure that the problem is fixed. Were you able to find a fix to this problem?

Thanks
  • mike_c1mike_c1 Member Posts: 1
    Your posting is over a year old, did you ever get an answer? I'm just learing about these websites and not sure if I'm doing this correctly. I'm having the same problem with the stalling but not quite as bad a you had.

Mike01
  • aunderwoodaunderwood Member Posts: 2
    mine ended up being a couple of things....i had a belt snap shortly after and then we flushed the transmission and now everything is perfect...and it has 120,000 miles on it
  • ryan128ryan128 Member Posts: 1
    My 97 stratus ran ok... It seemed to be missing a little but besides that it was fine. All the fluids were kept up with... I drove it to a friends house and it went fine... I stayed for maybe 10 mins and went outside to start it up.... turned the key and nothing happened.... lights dont dim when i try to start... it doesnt crank at all... and I already replaced the starter relay.... Im about to go check the connection to the starter... anyone have any idea whats up?
  • jan125jan125 Member Posts: 3
    Just read the 3/2008 post from Syndeegirl re: wild acceleration. Hope you've found the problem. If not, check the ignition (right where you put the key in). Many people have had this problem when they have too much weight on the ignition.....TOO MANY KEYS, ETC., ON THE KEY RING. It sounds crazy but it's true. I heard it on Car Talk (radio) and then confirmed it by hearing it from over 10 people who'd experienced it. Do you have a lot of keys on your ring? Take them off. Use a single key on a ring all by itself.
  • cheeze74cheeze74 Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2000 stratus with the 4 cylinder engine. Recently the engine wouldn't start and ended up being the crankshaft position sensor. After I replaced it the engine started fine. About 3weeks now and it died again. Checked sensor as I have a slight oil leak that is getting on the sensor a little. Sensor is testing fine. Checked for spark and got it on one of the plugs I tested. Seems there is no or low fuel pressure as I pressed the valve on the fuel rail and didn't get any fuel to come out. After reading the Haynes manual it states that if the ECM isn't getting the necessary inputs, Crankshaft sensor,cam sensor etc. then the fuel pump will shut down one second after trying to start the engine. Any suggestions? Am going to try to borrow a scanner from a co-worker if possible to see if there are any codes set in the computer. Not sure what to do next. BTW the timing belt has already been replaced and is in good shape.
  • toysaveddodgetoysaveddodge Member Posts: 5
    One sure fire way to know that your timing needs to be done is that the revs will go up. You can sit in idle sounding like you're going at least 10mph and feel it want to go when you are sitting at a light and the only thing holding you back is your foot on the brake. It's a thing that I learned from my Toyota....and a car's time is a rule of thumb on when to change as that Toyota went over 150,000 miles when I should have changed the timing belt at every 60,000 miles. I baught my Dodge and let go of the Toy, but I think that timing is the same issue of how to know when to change or adjust it...the high reving of the engine is a sign that the time is off. :shades:
  • ncmichncmich Member Posts: 3
    Check the cooling fan. It probably is not running. The 2 main causes are:
    1. Blown Fuse: There is a fuse for it in the compartment under the hood on the driver's side of the car.
    2. Bad motor on cooling fan: If the fuse is blown, the motor could be bad and will continue blowing new fuses. You may try using jumper wires to the fan from the battery for a short period of time to see if it runs. If not, the problem is identified.
  • wildbartowwildbartow Member Posts: 1
    TPS OR MAP sensor? you tell me whats wrong. Acting like its not getting gas. was the first problem. would turn over but not start. No fuel filter in line, just in the tank w/fuel pump. Replaced fuel pump. Car will start not but at about 3500 rpm it starts choking in a way will not go above 3500rpm. code reader says MAF/MAP sensor throttle position correlation at load and MAP/BARO circuit high imput. However first after we replaced fuel pump said fuel too lean. What do i need all sensors are about $170. cant take it back if its the wrong one. Already pd $200 for a fuel pump that wasn't bad............HELP
  • krathwohlkrathwohl Member Posts: 3
    i recently bought a 2000 dodge stratus es from a previous owner and it drove fine on the way home. it sat at home for about a month and i tried to turn it back on and it trys but wont start. does anyone have any ideas?
    I had a similar problem with my son's stratus and it turned out to be the crank position sensor. It is located toward the bottom of the engine between the firewall and engine. Has one bolt holding it in place.
    actually the will start only if i spray starting fluid into the air intake, but right after i stop spraying, the car will stall. anymore ideas?
    actually the car will start only if i spray starting fluid into the air intake, but right after i stop spraying, the car will stall. anymore ideas?
    If that's the case then I would lean toward the fuel pump. My son's quit like about a week after I replaced the crank sensor. It didn't give any warning of it going. When I pressed on the valve in the fuel rail it had no pressure which further showed the fuel pump being bad.
  • 1dodgecustomer1dodgecustomer Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Dodge Stratus. Not sure if you knew this but there is another way of checking codes. Turn ignition on and off 2 times then to the on position. (Put key in ignition, turn to on position without bumping the engine then off, then on then off then on (quickly). Look at your odometer and it will read off codes from the computer then it will say "done" after it has ran through the codes. Hope this helps.
    Do you know how to check for codes on your vehicle without taking it anywhere?
    Do you know how to check for codes on your vehicle without hooking your vehicle up to a code reader?
  • cissecisse Member Posts: 1
    My 96 dodge stratus engine has a motor oil leak any time I turn off the engine & park.I have to put 1 bottles of oil in the engine every day.Also the all antifreeze is oil in the raditor,Please help me about this problem,thank you.
  • jim_j_cjim_j_c Member Posts: 4
    From an off position turn the key on three times with out hitting the starter motor and wait. Where the mileage is displayed you will see the code numbers displayed followed by the word done. Good luck :lemon:
  • trace2trace2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 stratus that will start and drive but once turned off, it will not re-start unless it sits for a couple of hours. I have changed spark plugs, air filter and new battery. runs alot better but still will not re-start. any ideas?
  • ncmichncmich Member Posts: 3
    My Stratus runs rough and gives the code for random, multiple misfires. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor but the problem persists. I was told to check the connection for the coil, which I did and it looks pristine at the distributor, are there any other connectors I should inspect? Any other ideas?