Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Stratus Engine Problems

2»

Comments

• ncmichncmich Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    additional information:

I checked the resistances on the primary and secondary contacts and the values were what the spec called for.

There is 12 volts at the harness going to the distributor.
  • davyx38davyx38 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like the head gasket is going bad, does the engine sound very rough when driving? The head gasket kit cost roughly $120 and labor can exceed $1000. Mines a 2000 and is leaking small amounts of oil. This engine is very prone to various leaks. Honeslty unless you know for a fact that everything else on the car is in working condition i would get rid of it

My advice to anyone else is to use synthetic oil and engine sealant additives. Also the transmission sensor is known to go bad on this car.
  • automan62automan62 Member Posts: 2
    Yes you put key in the ignition turn key to on (when Dash lights come on ) then back one notch to off then on ,off and on and stop there and code should show on dash where Odometer is (like P0305 )
  • unlucky5unlucky5 Member Posts: 1
    My stratus turns over but wont start. the odometer reads 250000 miles but we aren't sure if its the original or not. In the past year (since i got the car) we have put over $1500 worth of work into it. I know it needs a new computer and a valve cover gasket (is that right? or is valve gasket cover?), but don't know if either of those would keep it from starting. Everything turns on, the displays, lights, radio, etc. When I turn the key it just cranks and cranks... any ideas?
  • sufdudesufdude Member Posts: 1
    if the car is in park and i rev the motor at 3 grand it cuts out now if i put it in drive it will not cut out till its in 3ed gear is this the injector or a filter
  • crash34crash34 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Stratus with a 2.4 DOHC that won't run after it rains outside. I have recently had to replace the fuel filter, ignition coil and fuel pressure sensor. REALLY need some help on this one....
  • snipper2snipper2 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get this problem sorted out? I am having the same problem.
  • courtneyannecourtneyanne Member Posts: 1
    4 cylinder automatic SOHC stratus has a horrible idle problem. I read something about an idle air control valve & carbon build up...& cleaning it out my car should idle normal again. I'm not sure if its more severe than that because my car idles at 500 rpm, & constantly acts like its stuck between gears....help! :mad:
  • sunny46sunny46 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2011
    both fans work when it hits secondary temp the gauge is 3/4 way up before both fans kick on arnt they supposed to come on primary then secondary3.0
  • dustin32393dustin32393 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 dodge stratus 2.5 v6, and it has over 200k mi on it. i spun a bearing the other day so i am getting a new engine. my questin is, how does the engine come out? through the top? or the bottom?
  • sos13sos13 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Will not stay in idle long enough to switch into gear before dying. Used to do this on first start up of day but now doing it even after warmed up.
  • mizjakiomizjakio Member Posts: 1
    take the front pin out and drop it through the bottom....
  • jonmiconjonmicon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Stratus as a standby but lately the engine cuts out without any apparent cause. I've replaced the fuel pump, the computer and a couple of sensors but after I drive it for a half hour, it just stops and I have to wait an hour before it will restart again. It seems like something happens when the motor gets warmed up, but it doesn't overheat, either. A lot of people seem to have this same problem but who has the solution.
  • mfrancemfrance Member Posts: 3
    it might be cam position sensor, had that similar problem on another car and that fix it
    fuel pump is working, spark plugs are getting fire, and i put #1 piston in tdc and lined up the marks on the cam pulleys, cant figure it out
    need to check your exhaust converter if it is stopped up it will give that reading on the codes
  • ronsuper1ronsuper1 Member Posts: 1
    Just replaced timing belt on a 2003 DOHC Sedan, Timing is dead on, have spark and compression but cranks like no spark plugs are in it. How do I find out if this is an interference engine?
  • bigred6801bigred6801 Member Posts: 1
    Next time it happens go put there and take the disturber cap off and blow it with a blow dryer and blow down in the place where the disturber is put it back together and see of it will start. Sorry about the spelling
  • toby2888toby2888 Member Posts: 2

I have same issue with my 99 stratus. Just cuts out like someone shut off fuel no spit or sputter just dead . but it will idle all day long.but when you put in gear and need power it will just shut off.. aAll I did so far was change fuel filter and air filter..

• toby2888toby2888 Member Posts: 2

oh and few weeks before I had shop put new timming belt on..sorry.. but I can drive then when it does it I sit fore while then it starts back up and I can go..till it does it again..

• diesel36diesel36 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Dodge Stratus 2.5L V6. I rebuilt the upper end of the engine, and now ever time I start it, it red lines. I have checked TPS, all the sensors are good. It just will not stop red lining? Do you have any ideas of what the problem could be?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737
    First is it really red-lining (6000+rpm) or is it just running faster than it should be say in the 2000-3000 rpm range? Any large vacuum leak will cause the engine to speed up because it is a speed density (MAP sensor) system. A power brake booster hose if left off could do it, a throttle body not closed such as if there is an issue with the throttle linkage. A problem with the intake gasket that resulted in a large leak could be a play. Basically the engine needs air to speed up, when it runs too fast it is getting air into it that isn't being controlled by the idle air control or the throttle body.
  • twotone96twotone96 Member Posts: 2
    Hey kinda new to this but I have a 96 straits with a 2.5 that I had to put a trans in. I get everything all put together and got to start it and it barely runs with what seems to be a multiple misfire. So I did a tune up, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and still nothing. So I replaced the distributor after noticing some cracking on the internal coil. Runs a little bit better about barely stays running. Any thoughts?
  • twotone96twotone96 Member Posts: 2
    And it was running perfect before I replaced the trans
  • mikeenteemikeentee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 stratus RT. Driving yesterday and suddenly when I come to stop, the engine makes a loud clicking sound. Mechanic put his stethoscope on it and it is definitely coming from the lower engine. Blown rod or pin would be the obvious culprit but the noise goes away or becomes a nearly imperceptible click when I am driving. Would anyone have any ideas as to what it may be. 190,000 miles, nothing but Mobil 1 used since 15,000 miles.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No "blown rod" is going to go away when you're driving, so that's not it. Any rod bearing that makes noise at idle will be far worse at speed.

You could have a loose wrist pin. One way to check that is disconnect the spark plug (or short it out) for that cylinder. If the noise immediately doubles in frequency, then it's a wrist pin.

It could also be "piston slap", which is not necessarily something to worry about on a high mileage engine.