Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy HHR Interior Problems

13»

Comments

• laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    I don't know if yours will do the same but I bought a 2010 HHR 2LT exactly 1 year ago and the first month...rattles like you wouldn't believe.
    Rattles from the steering colomn, the dash, the passenger's door panel,, the sunroof and from other places that I could not figure out from where they were coming from. I went to the dealer and talk to my salesman and mechanic about these rattles. They told me that it was new and that they would go away as time passes.
    Ya Right! I was so mad, insulted and disapointed by there stupid answers.

You know what...no more rattles. Only small rattling now ans then when driving on rough roads but these are normal I do have to drive on pretty rough roads. They where right...with time they went away. Go Figure!

Sure hope yours will do the same.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    warvin,
    I apologize for you concerns. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? Please feel free to email me directly; please include your Edmunds user name, VIN, and current mileage.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • vagabondchefvagabondchef Member Posts: 107
    I have not spoken to GM Customer Service, but do have an appointment on Friday April 8th at Boucher Chev to look at the problem. The car only has 200 miles on it.
    vagabondchef,

Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    vagabondchef,

Have you had the chance to take the vehicle into your local dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    I'm taking it in this afternoon to Boucher Chev in Waukesha, Wisconsin to have it looked at and they told me it would take several hours. I'll keep you posted, I'm hoping they can resolve the problem.

Thanks for your support!!
    I will keep you posted, taking the car into the dealership service today.

Thanks.
  • brickred1brickred1 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 06 hhr LT w/every on it/turbo to. love it. the dealer is suppose to fix those problem if it's still under warranty. the key problem is bad key not cut rigth or bad key cylinder. next rattling in front, most likely broken stabilizer pin, had one replaced before last is squeaking noise, bad strut. don't us gm part, for a few dollars more get performances parts well worth the money. and everyones with wet floor. yep me to. when it rains flood city. bad sun roof design. drainage tube too small and the need constant cleanning. best way to clean is to use air or long wire and push it thought the tube. when cleanning left or right tube the left or right door must be open. the end of the tube exit on the front bottom corner of the door. i clean them 3x a yr.. with terrancal rain or your car is at a upward angle brake out the wet vac. when i know it going to rain hard, cover it up. last but not less for all you hhr haters. i'm a ex-mech, if you treat your car bad a don't take care of it you will have problems, give it a name. all my cars have a name or had a name, they never left me stranded,they broke down but they got me home.ect ...that @##!%*! ford i had. that crap left broke down every where. #2 these mech. now a day? i don't know where they got there skills from. dealer are only mech. are only out to get your money and if you don,t know you are got. i tell everyone to but a repair manual for your vehical so you can look and know what they are talking about.
  • brickred1brickred1 Member Posts: 3
    if you car shakes when you apply your brakes, you need new front brake rotors. all car & trucks do that when you warp your rotors. if you use your brake that heavy it's best you buy heavy duty brakes & rotors. that will take care of that problem. also if you have 17"rims and up it's a must.
    even though they are factory rims.
    got it been there done it.
  • leah5leah5 Member Posts: 6
    well, i have the 17" rims and wow warp city, never had a problem with driving threw water puddles before. my fiancee had a 1995 chevy camero with 20" rims and NEVER in the two years that we had it, before somene stole the car did we ever have a problem with his rotors warping. so, i don't think it's the tire size. semi's have yet an even bigger tire...and wow, there rotors don't get warped from driving everywhere....but here we are...basically being told that when it rains...leave the hhr at home in the garage/carport or somewhere where it's not going to get wet and either walk, or drive another vehicle.
    i'm at my witts end with this car and contacting a lawyer today. hopefully something will get done about these issuses that everyone is having too. :lemon:!!! :lemon:!!! :lemon:!!!
  • islander32pislander32p Member Posts: 2
    we have the same problen with opur hhr 2007 its sad that the care ind would let this hapen and do nothing about it i say boycot chevy!!!!
  • islander32pislander32p Member Posts: 2
  • leah5leah5 Member Posts: 6
    good idea...but we have already bought our swimming pools on wheels...so how can we boycot chevy?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited May 2011
    Check this message and those before and after about a square rubber flap that comes unsealed and allows water into the air intake.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1d1639/7#MSG7

It's under the cowling under the rear edge of the hood. To remove the cowling on my Cobalt, I had to remove the windshield wipers. That means using a puller to lift the wiper arms from the pivot after taking off a nut. Then the cowling comes off with a few plastic snap pins that you pull up. Then you're into the area where the rubber flap can be resealed with silicon or whatever you want to try.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• wanabewanabe Member Posts: 1
    This message is to anyone who is having leaking issues or anything else with the HHRs mine is 2009 only had 4625 miles on it when I bought it I have had it in the shop 5 times in the last 12 months for the water leaking through the ac and down the front firewall and soaking the floor .. this is the second time they have replaced the carpet and this time the fan motor ... mine is still under warranty evidentally they cant fix the probelm .. the Missouri lemon law doesnt apply but the federal lemon law does .. this means I can keep my car warranty intact and GM has to pay me the difference of what I paid minus what I would have paid had I known it had all these issues .. If you have had major problems and lots of repairs they dont all have to be the same issue.. Get ahold of a lemon Lawyer ... I am hoping to recoup enough money to try and trade out of this cause it sounds like there are more issues than I want to deal with with this model...
  • upset61upset61 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Morphoo,
    3 weeks ago I opened the driver's inside door. My handle snapped off. Obviously a fault with design and the plastic. Guess what GM wants me to buy a whole door assembly for a measly $550 before installation. This will be my first and last GM product. It runs well, however the suspension is also shot. Once I fix it, (2007) I will happily get rid of it. In 40 years of driving this has not happened once. What can you expect from a Co. that filed for protection under the creditors arrangement act while setting up shop wherever the labor is dirt cheap. They are not loyal to America why should they be shown any loyalty by the people. By the way how did U solve your handle problem short of taking out a mortgage.
  • cheif2dogcheif2dog Member Posts: 3
    my 2006 driver handle has broken 3 times...told them my family would sue if they didn't fix it and I was ever trapped in it...we flood here a lot.....haven't paid for a new one yet...worst cheapest hazardous piece of equipment on it...the one thing u should be able to depend on!!!! still luv my hhr though
  • morph00morph00 Member Posts: 3
    Cheif2dog,

I took a woman's hairclip, you know the ones that are metal and flex with an inside piece and outside piece. Well the one I had had a slot down the middle, so I broke it off from the outside piece, drilled a pilot hole on each side of the break to match where the slot was, put in two 1/4" wood screws, and wrapped the whole thing in a 1/4" of epoxy putty. Expoxy putty - the stuff that you get at the hardware store where you cut a piece off and kneed it to a uniform color, just wrapped that around the break and screws, It's been a rock since. IF the whole handle has come off, that means the hinge pin part has broken off also, you may have to "invent" a new way to fix the hinge pin, before you can fix the actual break.

Have you had any brake issues? There is a Technical bulletin out for a "slap guard that is $20 each to keep junk out from the inside of the rotors. Just found that tidbit out from Midas. Also, I just replaced the struts, broke a front left strut plate. Other than that, I like car to keep it a few more years, mileage is great! My commute is 134 miles round trip.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,937
    There is an aftermarket replacement handle that can be found at some of the major auto parts stores. It includes the interior handle assembly and instructions how to replace. I believe it is $65-$75. Looks factory, and no need to replace entire door panel.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• 1emr1emr Member Posts: 1
    I am a new owner of an '06 HHR and notice that water drops stain the upholstered seats.
    I also am wondering if ALL HHR's are so noisey? The road noise is so loud that I can hardly hear the car radio when at full blast and yes, the windows are closed tight.
    Otherwise, I guess the vehicle is okay. I've been driving it since Jan. with no problems. It has approx. 56,000 miles on it. Though I must say, when the AC is on, the engine has no gumption at all.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Mine is pretty quiet (and is/was advertised as such). Do you perhaps have a door thats is not closed completely? Maybe a door seal has something wrong with it (just a quess).
  • allenhowardallenhoward Member Posts: 1
    link to replacement door handles for 06 -2010 chev HHR
    http://www.1aauto.com/1A/DoorHandleInterior/Chevy/HHR
    hope that helps.
    Cost is 95.00 still way to high for a piece of plactic but beats the 500 GM wants for a door panel.
  • hhrowner1hhrowner1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having some of the same problems with my 2009 HHR. The car leaks somehow onto the floor, the car shakes in a cyclical fashion when I am stopped, the door handle broke, and the check engine light goes on sometimes, and not others, water stains on the upholstery, and window washer fluid not getting to the back window (though that is rather minor). Also, the car shaking when it is stopped happens sometimes, and not others. It seems random. I read earlier in this thread that someone resealed the windows and actually got the leaking to stop. I could also see how leaking could be causing various other problems with the cars that have been described. I am going to get ALL the windows resealed, check the roter, and the cylinder to see if either have been or are being affected by unusual amounts of water, and epoxy the door handle with PC10. Hopefully this will fix the problems. It also seems like the radio problems people have been having could possibly be water related. Oh, and I do not have a sunroof. That may make the water leaking worse, but more then the sunroof must be leaking in the cars. It is upsetting that there is no recall on the handle, because it is an obvious safety problem that seems widespread. There should also be some sort of knowledge of the seals needing to be redone at the dealer level, so that they can be fixed, and not start cause worse problems that would turn ppl away completely from buying any American cars. Honestly this is the first car that I have had these problems with, and most have been American, and it sadly still does make me feel the same way. I will follow up to let people know if resealing all the windows helps stop the leaking, so at least we can find some sort of a solution to what is going on with the cars.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Thank you for posting, hhrowner1,

I see you are on your way to resolving the leaking concern you (and others) have described. I hope that you are able to find a satisfactory resolution. If we can be of any assistance (by looking into warranty/recall information or by assisting in working with a dealership towards a resolution), please email us your name/user name, contact information, last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • blfenderblfender Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get any resolve this matter from GM/Chevy? I have had the same problem with my Chevy HHR (2007) since I bought a new off the showroom floor. I have taken it into the dealer 12 to 15 times the same air-conditioner issues. I got frustrated with them not doing anything to fix the problem stop taking it to the dealership about two years ago. I'm taking it in today for the first time since them. They have in the past replaced the carpets, The radio, they even took it to another dealership to replace seals around the window, But still never fixed the problem. Taking it again in now...we'll see....
    Hello blfender,

We see that you're planning on going to the dealership soon. We're sorry that you're having issues with your HHR. If you would like for us to look into any recalls or warranty information, we would be more than happy to do so. If you're interested, please email your VIN and mileage to socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber].

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited August 2013
    >http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1d1639/7#MSG7

[B]Chances are 99% that water in passenger side floorboard is due to failure of a rubber cover that is over a square hole that is underneath the plastic cowel. This cheapo cover fails and channels water directly into heater compartment through the cabin filter. Failures of heater motor and / or fan resistor is directly related.

Since the rubber sheet is a piece of crap, I replaced the rubber sheet with a piece of stainless steel with silcon sealer around it. No more leaks. About a month later, I had to replace fan motor - rust on it confirmed water damage. Also replaced fan resistor which was burned out by excessive current from failing heater motor overload. You will also have to replace the cabin air filter because it will be saturated. [/B]

Is this describing your leak? When you mentioned fan motor deteriorated from water hitting it, I thought of this. I have a Cobalt, but I took off the plastic cowl to see how it was designed underneath and if I needed to repair this before the cover deteriorated. It's designed differently.

But read the forum's posts to see if this will help.

Also google hhr cowl leak to see the fixes you find in various discussions.

To remove the windshield wipers to lift the cowl, I had to purchase small pullers made for wipers--I believe at OReilly. And there are some that are listed as battery cable pullers/wiper pullers.

Here's a diagram that may help:
    [img]http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/0505021T10-014.JPG[/img- - ]
    or try this

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/0505021T10-014.JPG

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• qbngirlzqbngirlz Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2006 HHR used in 2009. The door handles are poorly designed and defective, frequently breaking off. On 02/24/2016, I experienced electrical and battery issues with my vehicle; because the door handles for both the driver and passenger side were broken off, I was unable to open the doors. Since the windows are electric, I was unable to open them. It took me several minutes to get from the front seat into the back seat of my vehicle so that I could exit it. In the event of a serious automobile accident, I would have been trapped in my vehicle. I went online and started investigating this issue. It was in the course of this inquiry that I found out this is a chronic problem with the HHR, 2006-2010. The cost of fixing the handle at the dealer is costly because Chevrolet's fix is to replace the entire inner door panel. I contacted Chevrolet customer service, who advised there is no recall on the interior door handles. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA, requesting a recall of the 2006 Chevy HHR interior door handles. I've also filed a complaint with my state attorney general.

*"Not being able to exit the vehicle in an emergency constitutes a public safety issue. If the car were involved in an accident and the passengers needed to exit the vehicle immediately they may not be able to if the door handle breaks off. It is my opinion that this issue represents a clear and present danger to consumers. Several scenarios come to mind: 1) the vehicle becomes disabled on railroad tracks with an oncoming train, 2) the vehicle is involved in an accident and the vehicle is on fire or 3) the vehicle drives off the road into a body of water. All of these very common scenarios could lead to an unnecessary death of one or more occupants."

*(posted by another user)
  • jmarinez1jmarinez1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 HHR my brother was the original owner I have replaced the throttle body on it breaks tires need to do to inner tie rods next motor mounts transmission mount because I go fast over the speed bumps I need a AC resistor blower motor and just a resistor and I think after that my car should be working just fine also just a thought about every place two months ago now my car hasn't started with the first click of the key in about 2 years I know I wanted to choose a fuel filter but I heard it's inside of the gas tank and I probably should get some fuel injector cleaner again I did try that but I didn't really see much difference maybe a flush also the radiator has bubbles in it with some corrosion on the cap with some white stuff someone suggested that maybe my engine is blown however I'm going to get a flash on that as well I just asked this one person who works at oil change place and he said I could have a blown engine will how can you have a blown engine if it's still drivable so there's a lot of things going on with this car at the moment but I just don't want another car payments that's why I keep putting money into the car