Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy HHR Interior Problems

dakotahhrdakotahhr Member Posts: 2
edited August 2017 in Chevrolet
2007 HHR LT....Driving in heavy rain floor board front and rear on driver side soaked thru and thru. Took to dealer....in 3 days and I was told all is fixed. 15 min. down the hywy in a rain storm and floor again soaked really bad. Taking in to dealer in the morning. Have any others experienced this problem?

Comments

• natalieraenatalierae Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem - although mine started on the passenger side and eventually spread right across the car.

Eventually there was so much water that it caused the heating system to fail by freezing and cracking the components - on one of the coldest mornings this winter!!

It turned out that the windshield seal was faulty or defective.

If they haven't fixed it yet, when they do, make sure they thoroughly dry and then shampoo the area that was wet, so you don't get a musty smell in future. Fortunately, my dealer agreed to detail the entire car for the inconvenience.

Good Luck! :sick:
  • theseedtheseed Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are having the same problem out of our 2006 HHR, we bought it new in May '06 and today it has less than 9k miles. However, we're getting ready to send it in again for floorboard leak incident #3 and the dealership is now trying to con us into trading up for a newer model.

We love the car, but why in the world can't these people do their job and keep their word on repairs? It's only a band-aid job every time they "fix" it, because no more than two rains later and the carpet on the driver's side is flooded again.

They tell us it was a clogged drain tube from the sunroof, and that all cars with sunroofs have to come in for maintenance to have them flushed out constantly. I find it funny that this is the first time I have heard of this, and I know numerous other people who have sunroofs in their autos and never had it done and theirs never leaked.

I smell a little B.S. from a lazy mechanic because the last leak and "flush" was 3.5 weeks ago, the HHR has been driven 5 times since the "flush" for less than 5 miles per drive and we're seeing that leak again this morning.

I know we're not the only ones having this problem with our HHR, I have found complaints about this are all over the net. Shouldn't GM be concerned enough for a recall?
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I have heard of the drain tube issues with some cars but I don't recall hearing it about the HHR. The windshield seal has been a known issue. Manufactures generally don't recall auto's for non-safety issues, unfortunately. There has to be some kind of service memo about the windshield/wet carpet fiasco.
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    After retiring from the Fed on June 1st & having taken the summer off to paint/landscape my 2 houses....& since my wife refuses to quit her RN career, I'm interviewing & expecting to go back to work soon. To reward myself I'm contemplating buying either a Mazdaspeed 3, HHR SS or one of the no longer to be produced (but still on the lots) Cobalt SS SC. I've noticed that on both the SS SCs and the HHRs that if you get get down and look....the radiator is completeley exposed....I assume for cooling purposes. I remember someone on this site complain that a rock scored a direct hit on their HHR's radiator & it wasn't covered under waranty...local salesman also said one of his customers had exact same experience. Anyone know of an aftermarket fix to fit a screen or something to keep this from happening? My wife's 2006 HHR has been lucky so far.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    There are for sure options for this. Just do a google search for chevy hhr grille (or lower grille) and you will find many places that have them, ebay also an option to find one.
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    Good idea, thanks.
  • celestedcelested Member Posts: 1
    I just took my car today for the service of the leak somewhere in the passenger side. It's been raining here in NY last week that the inside was soaking wet. I have to put towels to absord the water. I love this car but with this problem, it freaks me out. What if after the warranty, I will have the same problem?? How much would I pay to fix it?? They need to recall the car. :mad:
  • petalpusherpetalpusher Member Posts: 4
    I also have the water leakage problem with my 2006 HHR. I really liked my car until this and today it is at the dealship garage for the third time. The water comes in from under the driver's side door area and soaks the whole floor. The first time I brought it in they said they couldn't find any leak. The second time I got two different accounts; one employee said they found leaks on the drivers side window, and another employee said they couldn't find any leaks so they sent it to a glass repair business who did a pressure test and found leaks in the bottom of the windshield, which they fixed. Regardless, the car continues to leak. I am very disappointed and think the manufacturer should acknowledge this design error and make amends. :cry:
  • razrtraderrazrtrader Member Posts: 1
    WOW I wish I would of found this site long ago...I own a 2006 HHR that I bought brand new a year and a half ago. Right away I had problem with this leak that I've read about on here. I would get in the car after a good rain and the whole floor would be flooded, after 3 times to the dealer they finally figured it out and said they would replace the carpet but never did. I also at that time had to have the latch replaced on the rear hatch...Last week I had a problem getting the key out of the ignition. I couldn't get the gear shifter in place and the key wouldn't shut off so the battery died which lead to a tow to the dealer. Do to a long commute everyday I have 51K miles on the car so warranty expired and that cost $500.
    Over Thanksgiving i started hearing this loud noise from the tire area and just found out yesterday that i will have to spend $1000 to replace the front 2 wheel bearing hubs. So in all I have spent $1500 in 2 weeks to fix these problems and learned that I will never buy a GM product again!!! :mad:
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    34K a year certainly exceeds the normal driving range that most due.......wouldnt think that front hubs would wear in 51K.....seems the first this was mentioned....perhaps a new dealer service department might be in order....

04 Chevy Malibu Maxx here with 112K on it....and not one problem....other than normal wear and tear items.....
  • johnnyhhrjohnnyhhr Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just purchased a 08 hhr, I have noticed that when I shut my engine off there is a fast ticking sound coming from the exaust, it almost sounds like something is running. The ticking sound slows down and after about 5 minutes it is gone. Any opinions would be great.

Thanks
    John T
    Most likely its just the exhaust cooling off (contracting
    Its a common exhaust noise.
  • aaronmacaaronmac Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 HHR, and also get the same ticking sound. It's nothing to worry about it will take a few months of driving for the exhaust to stop making this noise. I also have a 2007 Pontiac G6 that did the same thing for about three months. You shouldn't have to worry.
  • tim08hhr1tim08hhr1 Member Posts: 7
    The is a TSB out for this.

They will put a guard infront of the radiator. Take your HHR into the dealership and have them order this asap if you don't have the guard.
  • bigdog08bigdog08 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 2006 HHR in June '06.... 47K miles now, just had to replace both front wheel bearings also...Haven't bought a GM product in 10 years, so bought all the hype about "vast improvements in quality"... like you, not again!!!
    Well who did the first brake job? The likely calprit is the person who did you brake service not General Motors. While the brakes are being done the front bearings are normally repacked or replaced. So at it turns out it wasn't likely the General's fault now was it. Recommended wheel bearing service on most vehicles is 30,000 miles.

Would you feel the same way if this happened to your Japanese car? Would you go on a forum and say that's the last Toyota I will buy? I doubt it.
    Funny you mentioned Toyota... My wife and step-son both drive Toyotas, one with 46k and the other with 69k, not a problem with either one. Yea, it's the last GM I will buy.
    I see, when your Toyota's brakes were done they replaced/repacted the bearings. But when the HHR's was done they didn't. Because of that you blame it on the manufacture? Pretty sad.

My neighbors Corolla Matrix has trouble with her headlights. Usually only one works but if you beat on the other it will pop on. Better get rid of that car right away, right?
    Give it up, Poncho... First of all, the brakes on both Toyotas have been looked at by Christian Bros. Automotive twice, and nothing has been necessary except pads on mky stepson's car. As far as the HHR... I have replaced my left front headlight four times, yes four (I have all the receipts), and the service department at the dealership had the car for three days, not able to find the cause... On my favorite AM station (Ranger games, news, talk...) I get interference from my power steering. The dearlership said they found the problem and rewired, but to no avail... still get interference. Just curious, why are you so defensive of this car? Maybe you help build it???
    I am disappointed with people like you who would rather support a foreign company than the one they live in. Whether the Japanese cars that you are now going to buy are built in America or not, it is killing our economy and that money is going back to Japan.

It's all about maintenance. The rotars, pads, etc., are shared by many companies and its generally maintenance issues or peoples driving habits that cause auto problems. I can give you more bad Japanese car experiences of people who have had them but I don't go on auto forums jumping on the Japanese bandwagon. I have worked for four Japanese auto companies in the past and wasn't anymore impressed than any other car maker. They all have glithes of something or another.

Now that your done with General Motors/American autos than you shouldn't be hanging around here anymore. You can now check out the problems over at the Toyota forum.
  • lacolaco Member Posts: 28
    You can get good or bad in virtually any brand. I have a 2000 Toyota, which other than a bad rear wheel bearing when it had about 2000 miles on it has been perfect. I have a 1999 Ford product, which had some problems while it was still under warrantee, but has been trouble free since. I also have the 2007 HHR, which so far I have done nothing to, except routine oil and filter changes. Maybe I'm the exception, or maybe I don't drive them hard, but for whatever reason so far so good.
  • talker20talker20 Member Posts: 7
    Hello fellow HHR'ers, I would just like to put my 2 cents worth in on our innovative car. First I hate to have to explain it is NOT a PT Cruiser, hahaha. But on a more serious not, I do enjoy the vehicle though it has a few short comings. Interior storage space is lacking, the lower windshield point cause me concern at traffic lights, and I am a taller guy and I wish I had 2 more inches of leg room. With all that said, I did buy the car, I did test drive before buying so these short comings are my choice to except. I want to say that the front wheel bearings are a sealed unit and not serviceable, and 51k is a bit premature but not totally out of the question. The radiator concern is actually the a/c evaporator because it is in front of the rad. There is a campaign to put a 4" shield on the lower section of it for protection. I can offer a possible solution for complete coverage but not done it to see how much trouble it would be to put in it. Window screen material should help with any concern, though, it will collect bugs and could eventually 'stop' up and become restricted so beware of any fix and keep an eye on it. All this said, I LOVE my HHR, and will drive it for quite some time. It is an 08 bought 8 months ago and I have almost 12k on it already. Happy Travels
  • lacolaco Member Posts: 28
    My 2007 HHR also made a ticking noise, probably for the first 3 or four months or so. I thought it sounded more like injectors ticking, but regardless it is no longer makeing that noise.
  • tyehltyehl Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 HHR now has water on the passenger floor boards due I think to heavy rain. Has anyone recev'd a correct answer to why this is occurring from any dealership so that I am well versed when I go in there to complain?
  • normbonormbo Member Posts: 1
    This was my 16th american car....but now i've learned my lesson. No more american cars. GM is going bankrupt because their quality just sucks, and management and the union are running the company into the ground.
    I paid too much for this car, and it's falling apart. I feel robbed.
    The head lights turn off when I make a right hand turn.
    The door handle does not open the drivers side door.
    The drivers door window does not roll down in cold weather.
    I had to take the car to a body shop to replace the head light. (I can replace all the other headlights myself). I got rear ended TWICE...I think it has to do with the rear lights not being normal. And Yet, I've never been in an auto accident before the HHR.
    The breaks ease up when the drum expands (at stop lights), and the car lunges forward (the drum is too small, but cute).
    The dealer tried twice to fix the wobble in the breaking, but now the warentee is up (and I dont want them to touch the car again).
    To replace the air filter, involves thirteen screws or things to disconnect, etc. What idiot designed such a fragile system not designed to last a few years. This is a disposable car.
    I could not find the air filter nor the oil filter anywhere but online the first year I owned this car....I"m truely pieved at every issue with this car anymore.

I'm ready to buy a Toyota, or just take my 1983 Chevy C10 to the body shop, it'll be running when this car is dirt.

Thanks GM, every day I go to the Banks (I work for them), and complain about the HHR, and deter people from buying any GM vehicle anymore........(I work for the banks, in a PROFITABLE division of the banking industry.). Sorry for the divorce gm....I cannot afford to buy new cars as often as you thought, and forcing me to buy a new car because this one is falling apart is about the rudest thing you've done to this old country boy...... My old GM's from the 80's are still on the road. Maybe you should restore a few of those and get them back on the road...the straight six was very reliable.
  • spikemcm2008spikemcm2008 Member Posts: 1
    ...they thoroughly dry and then shampoo the area that was wet,

I'd probably want them to pull the carpet and replace it if that would be an option, but not before they make sure there is not the possibility of rust starting to eat on the metal floor board.
    mm
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Luckily this is a rather isolated case and not wide spread.

Reminds me of some of the Toyota and Nissan issues that I have heard. Have you been over to those forums lately?
  • rdesantisrdesantis Member Posts: 30
    Recall notice for certain 06, 07, 08 HHR's FOR:
    Reinforcement Latch Plate Bracket (Dash borad storage bin)
    To know if your vehicle qualifies for recall you need to know if you have a first-design storage bin of a second-design storage bin. The second-design storage bin includes latch pin holes on the left and right side of the latch. If you have the second-design storage bin then action IS required. A "reinforacement latch plate" is what is needed to be added to the bin latch.
    www.gm.com/hhr_recall is the video to watch for the recall repair.

I do not have a recall number, however, below my recall notice instalation pictures are the same numbers. Which are, 2200758

Keep you H safe, cheers.
  • slider58slider58 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 HHR . After a flash flood there would be water on the floor on the passager side front & back ..Floor board. this is from the out side rubber window seal. the rubberseal is no longer sealed to the window to keep water out of the door. The water splashes in side the door covering the speaker& elec window moter .the water comes between the door & inside panile witch comes inside on the floor. Some water does go out the drain at the bottom of the door. if you have this problem please call chevy and let them know.Small rain you will never know this is going on. MI shifter -hand brake-window motor-the metale door brace all have RUST ON THEM. this has come from the factory like this. THE RUBBER SEALS ON THE OUT SIDE OF YOUR WINDOWS ARE NO GOOD. CHEVY said that i was past my 36 th miles SORRY NO FIX. they have no complants about this problem. please call them we need a recall on this. ( I found this water leak out my self ) I only have 57 thousand miles. GOOD LUCK
  • dcrewsdcrews Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 LT HHR with 61,000 miles.I bought it used with 30,000 miles.The dealer,Register Chevrolet repaired a few things under warranty with fast and friendly service.Last week the driver's side inside door handle broke.No problem I thought,I will stop by my friendly dealer,buy the handle and replace it. Wrong.The handle is not available without buying the complete door panel for $366.00 plus tax.I removed the handle and repaired it with thin metal strips ,screws and epoxy It is much stronger than before and the repair is not seen because it is behind the door panel.The handle is poorly designed.This is just one example why GM is in deep trouble.
    Most people will likely take the simple repair kit that comes in the mail instead of going to the dealer.
  • SheBearSheBear Member Posts: 1
    Following is a modified post from another HHR owner. I just copied it and made some changes. Hope you don't mind.

I've bought nothing but Chevys my whole driving life, around 10 different cars....but now I've learned my lesson. I never bought foreign cars mainly so I didn't have to worry about poor quality, now my fellow Americans have betrayed us. GM is going bankrupt because their quality just sucks, since they no long have AMERICAN MADE, AMERICAN QUALITY involved in manufacturing.
    I paid too much for this car, and it's falling apart. I feel robbed.
    The head lights turn off when I make a right hand turn. DIDO****
    The door handle does not open the drivers side door. NOT YET***
    The drivers door window does not roll down in cold weather. DIDO****
    The breaks ease up (at stop lights), and the car lunges forward.). DIDO****
    IN ADDITION: Funny (not really), but as soon as my 36,000 wrty was up that's when I started having problems:
    My heater blower stopped, IN THE DEAD OF WINTER, had the fan replaced TWICE, still not working, now my mechanics says motor needs replaced, said there was rust near the motor, car is leaking somewhere.
    Car left me stranded 60 miles from home, wouldn't start, wouldn't jump. Had it towed home, had to put a new starter in it.
    Now, I can't get the key to the lock position and the remote start does not work. And my engine light has come on.
    AND BIGGEST THING: I am driving down the road, 35 MPH in heavy traffic, 4 lanes and the car, SHUTS OFF!!! - MESSAGE- ENGINE POWER REDUCER - the power to the car did not reduce - it terminated. Real safe, huh?!
    Since the warranty is up, I am now driving a piece of junk, while I am saving money to have everything worked on, one at a time.
    And you know the Chevy Dealer does not give you crap as a trade. I tried that too.

Thanks GM, every month when I make an almost $300 payment, I get upset all over again. I cannot afford to buy new cars as often as you think, and forcing me to buy a new car because this one is falling apart is about the rudest thing you've done to this old country girl......
    Sounds like you have no idea why the American automakers are having problems that could lead to bankruptsy.

It's unfortunate that you have been having problems but GM's issues are not related to quality. In fact there quality is as good as anyone and Toyota actually is the one with quality issues if you have read the news for the last 2-years.

They are more American made than any Japanese company that you are now drawn to. What do you think Toyota's domestic content is? It's only about 49%, GM even with their 5% Aveo is still at around 70%. Supporting foreign companies definately contributed to the demise of the American auto makers along with the insurance and other high dollar benefits and unions that the Japanese automakers who assemble here don't have to worry about because the chose states with no unions and higher a high percentage of part-time workers.

Take a look over at the Japanese forums and you will see the misery there. There is really no difference. People come here to vent and talk about their problems. It's as simple as that.
  • talker20talker20 Member Posts: 7
    Yes, all cars have issues at times but in many cases it is the abuse we have subjected them to in the beginning that have resulted in the final end problems. I love my Chevy, will continue to buy American made. Properly administered maintenance and repairs make a car reliable. When corners are cut to same money on repairs then some of the resulting problems can occur. I am not saying some of the electrical concerns are all maintenance problems but how they are addressed for repair may be.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    The A/C component mounted in front of the radiator is the condenser, not evaporator. The evaporator is buried inside the dash.
  • lilmommadebbielilmommadebbie Member Posts: 2
    SheBear,

I am new Chevy HHR owner as of December.

My cars brakes i have noticed recently do this as well:

The breaks ease up (at stop lights), and the car lunges forward

Any help in what you did to fix it?

See my other post too:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f1d1639/0
  • bzerobbzerob Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 had that issue within a month of new purchase. Filled my driver footwell with an inch of water in a good rain. It was a sealing issue with the windshild. My local Chevy dealer took care of it and no water leakage problem since.
  • msjhyde56msjhyde56 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the information. My HHR started ticking today and I was worried what is going on . Whew!
    Thanks again, ;)
  • markathaleenmarkathaleen Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen to me. When I went to the dealership, I found that the interior door panel cost $383.00. I tired to purchase an American car and this happens. Why would this vechile be designed this way? I think there shoudl be a recall on that door panel.
    That's unfortunate but is not uncommon on the Japanese cars as well. Have you been over to those forums lately?
  • martha63martha63 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem. The drivers side door handle broke off when I was trying to get a parking ticket at the hospital. I called the dealer and he said just for labor to take the door panel off was $134. this didn't include the part which he didn't give me a
    price for. It is when I took it to have the oil changed and was told they had been having problems with the door handles breaking off and instead of recalling them they just made them better and out of metal instead of plastic. This would cost me $350.00 for the door panel. Well since I am retired I cannot afford that price . What if I was in an accident and had to get out of the car in a hurry, and couldn't get my window down in order to open my door.Is it going to take someone getting killed in order for them to fix this problem.?? Or has this already happened and we just don't know about it. I have contacted Gm and am now awaiting a reply to this problem.
  • combosaborcombosabor Member Posts: 1
    Hi all !

Is anyone with this same yr. HHR had a problem with the Windshield Cracking for no reason. Mine cracked yesterday after parking in my driveway. The glass coverage is expire for the 12 months/12,000 mile limit. The extended warranty does not cover glass (of course).

I'm being charge $260.00 plus tax for a new windshield. The only good thing about this is that they will come out to my job site to install it.

If enough of us have this problem then there might be some recourse for reimbursement ........ :) !!!!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If you had a stone chip or a stress crack, a rapid temperature change will cause a full crack... such as air conditioning or cold water (rain, hose) vs hot glass in summer heat. (That works in reverse too... if you had the interior very cold then parked in hot direct sun, that will cause a crack as well.) That unfortunately is good ol' physics, and is not covered by warranty or legal avenues.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    If your not sure one way or another you may want to check if you have glass coverage with your insurance.
  • gruffygruffy Member Posts: 5
    Here it is, September, 2009, and my driver's door handle just broke off in my hand. My car has 50,000 miles on it. I was told the panel was $299 and nothing was mentioned about the labor cost. My son is going to try to fabricate a part to repair the handle, we shall see. When it is done, this being unconscionable and deadly to safety, I'm ditching the car and buying a used Subaru. I've have an old Subaru (18 years old) with 350,000 miles on it...door handles don't break on that car. Chevy can take their plastic car and shove it.
  • 87silver87silver Member Posts: 9
    A real American sheep that pisses on their own shoes. Send your money to Japan and keep paying tax dollars to invest in GM. Like owning a McDonalds franchise and buying your lunch at Burger King.

Then when you have other problems with the car you gave your money to the Japanese for, you can be much more forgiving because it's not American.

Today's Americans should be ashamed of themselves.
  • wit2wit2 Member Posts: 11
    LIVE IN WILM DE PURCHASEED USED 2009 HHR NEVER TITLED WITH 1K MI FROM MULTI CHEVY IN UNIONVILLE NJ. 4 MONTHS LATER WATER ON DRIVERS SIDE FLOOR. LOCAL CHEVY DEALER (DIVER) FINDS 2 1/16 HOLES DRILLED THROUGH FLOOR, INTIALLY TELLING ME FLOOR WET FROM HOLES HAS TO CHECK WITH HIS ADIVSOR, NOT AVAILABLE TILL NEXT DAY. TOOK CAR HOME DRYED OUT MATS ETC. NEXT DAY RAINED, DID NOT USE CAR, FLOOR WET AGAIN. NOTICED DOW CORNING SEALER AROUND WIRING HARNESS FROM DOOR TO DASH AND OTHER SEALER INDICATING DEALER KNEW ABOUT LEAK AND SAID SCREW IT DRILL A COUPLE OF HOLES TO DRAIN WATER AND LET SOME OTHER SUCKER WORRY ABOUT IT. TAKING CAR TO DEALER TOMMORROW. SERVICE WRITER ACTING LIKE HE NEVER HEARD OF HHR WATER LEAKS.
  • wit2wit2 Member Posts: 11
    SHOWED DEALER WHERE WATER WAS COMING IN . HAD CAR 3 DAYS SAID REPLACED DOOR SEAL AROUND CHASSIS. 2 TO 3 WEEKS LATER FLOOR DAMP AGAIN. MY INVESTIGATING FOUND WHEN POURING WATER DOWN DRIVERS SIDE DRAIN SUNROOF 75% WATER RUNS OUT WHERE IT SHOULD AND 25% RUNS INTO CAR ALONG BOTTOM DOOR CHASSIS FRAME FROM BEHIND SEAL. SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM WHERE DRAIN LINE CONNECTS AT EXITING POINT ON DOOR FRAME INSIDE CHANNEL. TAKING TO DEALER AGAIN FOR THEM TO FIX. WILL UPDATE THIS MESSAGE LATER
  • madatgmmadatgm Member Posts: 4
    Instead of just screaming on this and other posts, we should find a way to initiate a class action suit. These problems are consistent from the 2006 models to the present. The water on the floor, broken door handles, leaking windshield and ABS vibration are problems known from the beginning and uncorrected in subsequent models. On every site asking about the HHR, the problems are exactly the same. Even worse is the fact that not one solution has been offered by dealers or GM. The only recourse is to buy an expensive door panel to fix a cheesy one dollar door handle. As for the water leaks, you'd have to dip the entire vehicle in silicon. The ABS is probably a design flaw they just don't want to admit to much less address. There must be a lawyer among the HHR owners and readers of these posts. Time to earn some money here. Get busy and help us out.