Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Why NOT to buy a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS

djbderwooddjbderwood Member Posts: 3
edited June 2014 in Mitsubishi
BUYERS BEWARE! I used to be a Honda owner but one month ago I decided to buy a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS with Navigation and Sun and Sound Package (i.e. top of the line). I could not be more disappointed in this vehicle. After one month it already has the rattles and wind noise you would expect from a vehicle after a couple of years. Adding insult to injury, the vehicle's 2007 navigation package comes with software from mid 2005. A new update for the map database will not be available for another 15 months thereby keeping you driving through 2009 with 2005 map software! (yes, not a typo, I said 2009!) Of course, this wasn't disclosed to me by the dealership. This fact has been confirmed with the Navigation manufacturer (NAVTEQ) and Mitsubishi Corporate. Mitsubishi Corporate pretty much said "you'll have to take that up with the dealership. That is not our issue.". What a company! Spend the couple of extra bucks and go with a Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CRV - I wish I did!

Comments

• gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    Beware! The Outlander must be making inroads into Honda for a basher to come on like this.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have you checked with the dealer regarding rattles? Apparently there is a fix for it. You should read this: dodo2, "Lexus RX 350 vs. Mitsubishi Outlander XLS" #16, 25 Apr 2007 1:03 pm!keywords=allin%3Amsgtext%20limit%3A.f0d6490%20rattle

I could not be more disappointed in this vehicle.

As a rule of thumb, things could always be worse. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • djbderwooddjbderwood Member Posts: 3
    Gene, I am not a Mitsubishi "basher" for purposes of promoting Honda. I am just using this forum to let others know of my disappointment. I mentioned both Toyota and Honda as those are the manufactures I compared my Outlander to before making a purchase selection. I, in fact, traded in a Ford F150 for the purchase of the Outlander. If you are an avid Mitsubishi purchases then all the more power to you.
  • djbderwooddjbderwood Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much for this information as the Mitusbishi service department (at the local dealer level) has not been very helpful. They are obviously "learning" about this car and may not even be aware of this fix. I will mention it on my next service date with them and hopefully it will take them in the right direction for some possible noise reduction. regards,
  • southbaydriversouthbaydriver Member Posts: 1
    I got my XLS 3 weeks ago, with the same options as yours. The car is absolutely quiet and rattle free. In fact, it is more silent than my other car, a more expensive ML320. As far as the navigation goes, It also runs circles around my MB's cluncky navigation system but I will check in with my local dealer (Huntington Beach, CA) about the update schedule.
  • disappointed12disappointed12 Member Posts: 15
    yes, the noise level is pretty bad. esp the wind noise.
    Once I came back from a long drive and once back, I decided not to take it again.

Then I got some weatherstripping from a local autozone and put it next/around the door seals. It reduced the wind noise to some extend, still it is not good. And it is not good looking also.

anyway, i am going to take it to the dealer and ask him to do a better and clean weatherstripping. If it does not satisfy me, I am going to look at the option for Lemon Law. any suggestions?
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    I bought my Outlander XLS a couple of weeks ago and I love and I absolutely have no complaints about anything including noise: my former car was Camry, which is considered very quiet car. But if you are not happy as consumer, you should exploit all options available: I am not sure what's the Lemon Law.
  • biscuit_xlsbiscuit_xls Member Posts: 194
    I've had my 07 Outlander for 3,000 miles now and absolutely love it. Once I did the mod to the mirror the wind noise went down to very normal levels. I have not noticed any rattles, and I'm sensitive to that kind of thing. Elaborate, maybe we can help.

My Nav has functioned perfectly from the start. Quick and accurate information for me. I haven't found any need for a software update yet.
  • piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    "If it does not satisfy me, I am going to look at the option for Lemon Law. any suggestions? "

You keep coming back with the same questions over and over.
    I think you already know, but let me say it again:
    1. SUV are more noisy on windy days on highway speeds than more aerodynamic cars, because of their shape, bigger mirrors and roof racks
    2. No, there is no fix for it just turn your radio back on and enjoy the ride
    3. Starting multiple treads on the problem still won't help
    4. Trade it in, like you were planning months ago, there is no Lemon Law for tire, road, wind noise, uncomfortable seats, too small cup holders or not bright enough map light.

"If anyone, anyone has any suggestions or fixes for this problem, please let me know. Else sooner or later, I will have to cut my loses and trade-in for something else."

Just do it.
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    Don't buy the Outlander because the maps are from 2005 ????!!!! OMG !!!!..... This is a good one.
    Buy a RAV4 instead which doesn't even offer a Navi. Navi is an option on the Outlander for God's sake. If you could leave without a Navi on the RAV4, why not do the same on the Outlander?
    The wind/rattle noise issue is OBSOLETE. It has been fixed at the factory starting February 2007 and there is a Mitsu TSB AND a DIY available to fix it for the pre-February builds . If you people refuse to get it fixed, this is YOUR problem, not the car's or Mitsu's problem.
    Then I got some weatherstripping from a local autozone and put it next/around the door seals. It reduced the wind noise to some extend, still it is not good. And it is not good looking also.

anyway, i am going to take it to the dealer and ask him to do a better and clean weatherstripping. If it does not satisfy me, I am going to look at the option for Lemon Law. any suggestions?

My suggestion would be to put the weather stripping where it should go: inside the plastic caps under each side mirror as described on the DIY related to this issue and illustrated with detailed pictures.
  • disappointed12disappointed12 Member Posts: 15
    To piast
    dude,
    why should it bother you if I complain as often I like; I am not writing graffiti on your wall!

Regarding your observations:
    SUV may be more noisy than cars; but some SUV's are much nore noiser than other SUV's; that's why some are complaining here. And we all have driven other SUV's

Turning up the radio to eliminate the noise is not the fix. That's escaping from the truth that you got a crap vehicle.

Lemon Laws are now much more favorable to the consumer. From the website of my State: "Significantly, the law now measures the defect or condition from the point of view of the individual consumer, not the manufacturer or dealer" and goes futher to say that even a paint problem is included.

If you enjoy your vehicle, keep enjoying!
    Others who want to complain till they get a solution, let them! Afterall they spend their hard earned money.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Most Lemon Laws can't be implemented unless the dealer/manufacturer fails to fix a problem after a certain number of tries.

As mentioned, there's a TSB on the noise. NAV software, who cares if it's from 2005? There may not have been significant updates since then, or the updated software might not be stable. Take this from an IT guy: if it ain't broke, don't update it. 2005 is an acceptably recent software version.

Wanting a 2007 version just because it's 2007 is like wanting Vista because it's the latest and greatest....and, as any Vista user on here will tell you, there's still some issues with the "latest and greatest." you really want to see a "blue screen" on your NAV system?
    "SUV may be more noisy than cars; but some SUV's are much more noiser than other SUV's; that's why some are complaining here."
    Which ones are that match better, (who measured it and how?) in the low 20K range and why you did not bought one of them in the first place? Why don't you do it now, as promised?
    "Turning up the radio to eliminate the noise is not the fix. That's escaping from the truth that you got a crap vehicle."
    It is not the fix, it's how normal people driving, enjoying the music and nice quiet interior, as per majority of owners. It does not need the fix other than mirror mount cover.
    "why should it bother you if I complain as often I like"
    Because it is annoying, and not really confirmed by other owners.
  • deweywinsdeweywins Member Posts: 4
    Enjoying my Outlander...as smooth and quiet as my Trailblazer. No wind/noise problems here on a vehicle delivered in March.
    Dear Waterboy (clutchguy77)

Not ANYBODY, just you and Mr.Disappointed. You guys should make friends. I don’t recall calling you names, guess you don’t have anything more to say.
    It is open forum, so you can voice your opinion about cars, just be honest and ready to back up your claims. In that you fail too. 80% of Equinox owners on that forum reported noises, mechanical problems and was talking about Lemon Law. Same with automotive press. It is quite opposite here, on Outlander forum: it’s only you and handful of others.
    See, not all your Mama said was true.
  • susieq6susieq6 Member Posts: 7
    I have a brand new Outlander and have noticed that it has much more wind noise than my previous two cars-a Honda CRV and a Suzuki XL7. It sounds like it is coming from the driver side window, not the mirror. Has anyone had this fixed? Even with the radio all the way up, I can hear it. Also, my sound system is supposed to have 9 speakers. I can only find 7. Anyone know where the other two are???
    The noise appears to come from the window, but in fact is related to a plastic cap on the bottom of the side mirror housing.
    Begin by checking the manufacturing date on your car. Look on the B-pilar on the driver's side.
    If your car is manufactured before February 2007 you need to fix it - DIY or TSB. If it's manufactured after February 2007, take a cap out and confirm that you have the foam wrapped around the two tabs. If you don't, do the fix. If you do have it and the car is still noisy, take it to the dealer.
  • clutchguy77clutchguy77 Member Posts: 25
    Still can't let the equinox thing go....again with the mama jokes. Weak dude...VERY weak!

If people want to complain about their vehicles and the problems they have with them, this is the place to do it. If you don't like it....DON'T READ!!!!!!!!!! I have a 3 month old outlander and I love it...no problems whatsoever.

Piast...I think you're taking it personally when people complain about their Outlanders. It's got nothing to do with you personally...let it go.
  • gosokgosok Member Posts: 3
    Hi there,

Instruction on how to fix the wind noise can be found here.

And the other 2 speakers are stacked (in the rear), so 2 on each door at the same location. So, yeah, Mitsubishi cheated a little there.

Gosok
  • talldetroitytalldetroity Member Posts: 5
    Piast

dude, calm down. Everyone including Disappointed and clutchguy gets they're turn in this forum. Just like you said about voicing your own oppinions, why dont you let Disappointed and clutchguy say what they think about the outlander aswell, they're just trying to help other people and they're just asking for help on what to do. That is what these forums are about is asking for help and giving answers and solutions. "Just be honest and rady to back up your claims. In that you fail too", your wrong. In this topic of why not to buy an outlander, your the one that fails.
  • susieq6susieq6 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you so much for the information! Since you know so much about the Outlander maybe you could help with something else. Do you know if there is any way to program the doors to lock automatically when the ignition is started. I had this in my last 2 vehicles(CRV & XL7) and have gotten used to it. Even if I have to get used to locking the car manually, I can't complain. Those suvs didn't ride anywhere as beautifully as the Outlander!
  • 20vcq20vcq Member Posts: 82
    Now have 10,000 km the last two in snow and mountain roads. The vehicle overall is fine - a little to much road noise maybe. The paint chipping issue is ridiculous. The AWD system is NOT no matter what we have discussed and what I agreed to earlier last year NOT up to comparison to Audi or Subaru.It is your grand mothers AWD. Lame is a short descriptions.
    Is it nice to have the stability control ? Yes but the that's a Mercedes designed system used by almost all vehicle on the road today. And it does play into the AWD system.
    But this is not an electro or electro mechanical type AWD system as used in it two main competitors and also Volvo, BMW, Audi, Acura. It can be very frustrating.

Try traveling on a packed snow covered road with tight corners and hills - as the front end starts to slip the "AWD" system applies the brakes to the offending wheel to attempt to increase tracktion - not by using a toresen system electro transfer of torque but by forcing a slower rotation.
    So when that happens and one is driving an Audi or Subaru one hits the throttle and allows the system to find traction. It does so by shifting the torque between the four wheels to find the best mix. The driver simply turns the wheel and powers out of the slide - -Not Outlander - it applies the brakes and reduces throttle response until you crawl around the corner or come to a halt - no kidding! My friend in a A4 passed on the inside of me as did a following Toyota Rav.
    Later we took the time at the end of a days skiing to replicate the occurrence 6 times with the same result.
    When hauling down a slush covered highway it is nice to feel "hand of god" stabilize the swaying attitude and slow the vehicle down (thank you Mercedes) - but is sure would be nice if the brake lights came on to let the following traffic know what the computer is doing because the driver sure as heck can't.
    This system needs a rethink in total - will I keep this truckette? It's on a lease so probably not past next fall - I couldn't be more frustrated with a vehicle that in many ways I like. :mad: :cry:
    If you want to race around tight/slow corners in the snow you can turn off the ASC and set it to 4WD Lock.

See this video:

http://outlander.jp/drivers_feeling/dri_03.html#start

I can't imagine anyone needing to go faster in the snow than the last 2 runs in that video (in a production CUV).
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I'm no expert on 4WD systems but my Outlander got me through 14 inches of snow Wednesday. The Traction Control seems to let the wheels spin a little before kicking in, which is a good thing. The stability control does take a little fun out of cornering, but is a great safety feature: I tried some corners with it on and off, and it really makes a difference.

I also used it to pull my stuck T-Bird out of where the snowplow had plowed it in on the street, and it yanked it out no problem in 4WD lock.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Please don't think I am being argumentative - but that "good thing" is the last thing one wants to happen on ice. True the pause or spin of the front wheels is on good days nothing to concern the average driver but in the circumstances I found myself it was dangerous (if one was relying on traction to get out of a sticky situation at more than parking speeds). Having driven Audi Q's and Subarus for 25 years I was disappointed, that's all. As a mini tractor like you describe I'm sure it will be fine - just stay under the posted speed limits in the white stuff - well under. That pause will prove dangerous to the uninitiated. Price, space and disposability were the reasons I chose this rig and I pretty much got what I paid for. Take away that extra space and the Subaru would have won.
    I am heading off into snow country again tomorrow morning to drive 2000 miles between several ski areas next week (instuctor). I'll see and report how it works out. We can all learn more by trial and error eh? :)
    "... - just stay under the posted speed limits in the white stuff - well under."

Aren't you supposed to do just that regardless of the car you drive?

I second Toomanyfumes - two days ago the Outlander got me through about a foot of heavy snow without any effort. I didn't even have to do anything special like deactivate the ASC or switch to the "4WD Lock". The ASC didn't even kick in. Totally seamless. True, I wasn't racing or anything, just normal drive. At one point I went around a U-shape alley with some deep ruts and the car did not have any problem to get me through (I also had 4 adults in the car while doing it). Again, I was going nice and slow according to the conditions.
    The 4WD system in the Outlander may not be as good as Subaru's (I truly think that Subaru's are great 4WD vehicles), but I think it was designed more for safety than for racing or off-road for that matter. However, I don't think too may owners would ever reach its limits.

Next time when you are having fun try what biscuit_xls suggested - turn off the ACS and set it 4WD Lock and see how it goes and let us know. I'm really interested in your experience as I don't get too many opportunities to try fun things myself.

BTW: The new Forester might be a good fit for you - it grew in size and I guess it will have at least as much cargo as the Outlander. It also has a bit more ground clearance than the Outlander (8.9" vs. 8.5"). No V6 though, so the power may be in short supply, at least on the naturally aspired version.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    My brother drives nothing but Subaru's and swears by them. I read a review of the new Legacy and they gave positive comments and mentioned the reasonable price. I stopped at the Subie dealer to check one out to replace my T-Bird when it finally dies. All the ones there had dealer added spoilers and paintsripes to pad the sticker.

Oh well, maybe in a year or so there will be deals to be had. Kinda like the situation with the Outlander, I wish I had waited for the rebates and discounts. Of course my trade would have depreciated that much more, so I guess it kind of works out.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • outlandersdoutlandersd Member Posts: 5
    As someone who once worked in customer service, it's a known fact that satisfied customers will rarely share their experiences with others while those who have a reason to complain will tell 50 people they know. It's human nature.

My point? djbderwood, the ex-Honda owner, isn't representing the majority of us who are quite happy with our Outlanders.

As an previous owner of Toyota, Infiniti, Nissan, and Honda vehicles, I've yet to own a car that didn't have a problem. The Toyota had a failed head gasket and transmission by 60k miles. The Infiniti had an issue with the brake pads wearing out prematurely and the passenger side window motor had to be replaced. The Nissan required a catalytic converter replacement at 4k miles, the a/c doesn't always work correctly, and the engine has an unusual vibration to it. The Honda had numerous prominent interior rattles, the front suspension would creak (had to TSB it twice), and the fuel gauge was inaccurate by 3 to 4 gallons.

Am I jumping around to different forums telling everyone "DON'T BY A HONDA!" "DON'T BY A TOYOTA!" "DON'T BY AN INFINITI!" No, because learned through previous experiences that no car is perfect at ANY price point so why go crying over split milk.
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    And the good news in all this is the Outlander 's warranty period to fix the problems.
    (10 yrs/100k drive line and 5 yrs/ 60K bumper to bumper) Toyota/Honda feel they don't have to compete. I'll take the written guarantee over a perception of quality. (like the head gasket problem that the Toyota had would be covered if occurring on an Outlander)

Were all gambling that Mitsubishi is around long enough to honor it, but
    I'll take my chances that I will be covered and Mitsubishi has got the honest intent to
    re-establish a presence in the US.
    Hi well your right about that visual showing how the 4 wheel drive works at speed. What it does not show is how with the skid control on it takes over to straighten the car out and over rides the throttle whether one wants it to or not. I have mentioned higway speeds and the neat "hand of God" at those speeds and think it is great value for the every day. The guyu behind you better be awake when your throttle control is taken over and the car abruptly slows and nothing you can do about it!
    I have just returned from another 2300 km run in snow country and took some time abot three hours, to play on side roads both up and down hill to try and figure what works best. With out a doubt one MUST turn of the skid control OFF when on very tight twisty slippery roads at sane low speeds - leave it on at your peril. When one needs to power out of a forward slide the lateral motion of trying to get the rear end out causes the over ride and sends the car into the snow bank albeit at a slower speed. This is not an issue with the real awd in Subaru or Audi that I am used to or Volvo or the wonderful new system in the Saabs. But then they are just a tad more $$ eh? That's my update as promised
    So like I said, switch it to 4WD lock and ASC *OFF* if you want to slide the vehicle. Sounds like you went into a corner too hot, got into a slide, and then wanted to use power to kick the rear end out. That's not possible with ASC on.

What you will find is that these other vehicles that you think are so great are very similar these days. The old days of 4WD like the Quattro Coupe are gone. Computers and traction control drastically limit what you can do in terms of sliding.
    Yes you were correct - I wasn't hot though - very surprised at less than 30kmh so there was no damage when I touched the bank. And yes this system over ride is a very necessary item even in the current Q's. Another small item I had to adjust to was the high mass shift - high as in off the ground. I still pine for my old Audi CS with electronically locking difs front an rear. Terrific to play with in the snow - like its driver - no brain control. :) I'm just going drive it from now on - like a truck albeit one that has very chipped paint ;)
  • nolidognolidog Member Posts: 4
    Audi has great AWD system, but Subaru’s AWD is overrated. In this NY Times article you can see which AWD system can transfer up to 100% of touque to either axele. Audi Quattro, Volkswagen 4mothion, Mitsubishi Super Select II, and Volvo TRACS: all four can deliver the extreme 100 to 0/0 to 100 torque split. Best AWD systems can even drive a car on a single wheel, but Subaru can’t do that!

The article is from 2002 or 2003, but Subaru’s still use the same AWD systems.

Subaru with manual transmission can deliver up to 100% only to the rear axel, but not to the front axel. But majority of Subarus sold with 4-speed auto tranny which you can barely call full-time: It is front axel biased and has power split 90/10.

So if we apply the NY Times classification the comparo looks like this:
    Outlander 6-speed auto: normal split 60/40; extreme split 100 to 0/40 to 60
    Subaru 4-speed auto: normal split 90/10; extreme split 50/50

It appears the Outlander numbers look better in both normal and extreme conditions.

In addition to paper specs, Outlander looks great in real life offroad condition. Here are more videos of the Outlander in snow:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3arUMr2PsI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJt0j38JJBA&feature=related
    Not quite - Subaru the awd can shift torque right to left and corner to corner as well as front to rear. Outlander cant do anything but go to rear and then with the lock turned off and simple awd engaged the wheels can spin their little hearts out until the stability control kicks in and applies a brake to the offending wheel or wheels and the car crawls to a halt. (first hand experience). That is the main dif between Subaru, Audi and Outlander. I don't know where you get that comment about the Subaru automatic? that is incorrect as the same torque distribution takes place as the standard. Are you referring to an old model? The last 5 years at least the technology on both Audi and Subaru has changed markedly. I would refer to Road and Track rather than NY times unless it was for Ann Landers. :)
    The latest writeup on awd was in 2006 and the most recent comments about awd in general refer to the hottest being Mitsubishi Evo and Volvos new magic systems that apparently take it all to a new level.
    Don't get me wrong "chelentano" the car is fine for what it is sold as - a crossover. But after putting it through some hard paces I found its weak spots and wont push it that hard again. That threshold is however considerably lower than the Audis and Subarus I have owned and driven over the years. But this chipwagon is fine - a bit noisy but fine.
    >> Subaru the awd can shift torque right to left and corner to corner as well as front to rear. Outlander cant do anything but go to rear and then with the lock turned off and simple awd engaged the wheels can spin their little hearts out until the stability control kicks in and applies a brake to the offending wheel or wheels and the car crawls to a halt.

You seem to be very anti-Mitsu biased and until you post a link to a legitimate source, you can only speculate what Subaru or Outlander can or can not do.

>> That is the main dif between Subaru, Audi and Outlander. I don't know where you get that comment about the Subaru automatic?

Did not you see the chart in NY Times? I guess I have to post it here. As you can see 4-speed auto Subaru’s normal split is only 90/10:

>> Are you referring to an old model? The last 5 years at least the technology on both Audi and Subaru has changed markedly.

Oh, yea? Sure, Subaru’s technology changed so much, that even on the latest 2009 Forester they use same-old-same-old 4-speed auto tranny which will be sold at least trough the year 2014, while the rest of the world has been using 6-speed and even 7-speed tranny for a while. 2008 Forester sold today at dealerships is the same generation as 2003 Forester: the same AWD. And the new 2009 Forester is not known to have any major AWD changes in terms of a torque split. So Subaru’s 4-speed auto AWD system has only a 90/10 split and it could barely be called full-time. The same AWD 90/10 split number is given in Wikipedia about the 4-speed auto Outback. It is your grand mothers AWD.

The NY Times expert in his other article “Introduction to All Wheel Drive systems” actually calls this auto transmission based Subaru’s AWD system a “part time”:
    “Subaru has for many years been quietly offering radically different AWD systems in the same car, depending on the transmission choice. The manual transmission Legacies and Imprezas use a full time system that is split 50-50 with viscous couplings for limiting slip. In the automatic transmission versions, however, the system is a part time”.

On the other hand, the Outlander in 4WD Lock mode has 60/40 split under normal conditions and 40/60 in extreme conditions. The Outlander's snow videos are the real life evidence.

>> I would refer to Road and Track rather than NY times unless it was for Ann Landers.

NY Times is a little more independent source, while Road and Track gets all its money from car manufacturers. Road and Track is car marketing mag. But even the Road and Track (nor any other mag) did not ever say that a Subaru can transfer up to 100% of torque to either axle nor it can drive on a single wheel. Subaru’s AWD system is greatly overrated, it’s marketing myth. The AWD is decent only on manual transmission Subaru’s.
    >> The AWD is decent only on manual transmission Subaru’s.

Oh, and some Subaru's with H6 engine have a decent AWD, but hardly the best.
  • rubyred83rubyred83 Member Posts: 10
    Had the Outlander XLS now for four months and 5500 miles. We live at high altitude north of the Mason-Dixon line in PA -snow and ice are a regular part of our driving experience. There is no such thing as an effective "all season tire" here. The first thing we did was get a set of real winter tires mounted on their own rims. The winter rubber keeps the ASC from intervening only until we are in extreme circumstances. With any car, if your traction-control and stability control system are working too much, it is the surest sign that you are running the wrong tires for the kind of driving conditions you frequent. All the fancy electronics and safety devices only work as well as your vehicle is connected to the road.
  • cooljwcooljw Member Posts: 47
    Hi rubyred83: Given where you live, I'm curious if you have experienced the notorious paint chipping problem on the sides of the car in front of the rear wheel wells?
    Not a valid assumption here friend. New - 225 70 15 BFG Slalom snow tires WITH studs. If that isn't connected t the road ...? Turning off the stability control is a very necessary action in mountainous situations when tied to this grandmothers type slip stop via brake system. Please don't test your theory on the open road when other cars are around. Not trying to be argumentative here - please read all the previous posts both on this thread and awd discussions for more detail of findings. :)
    I really can't agree with your opinions on Outlander 4WD/ ASC setup. We have had snow storms every other week here in Chicago area this season, and every single time I have to drive to work early, where plows are nowhere to be seen yet. Every time 4WD lock worked perfectly, and I only saw ASC kicking in maybe twice, when I switched it to 2WD just to try it. I'm constantly driving at 40-50 mph with no sensations you are describing. This system combo is much better and safer than the real 4WD system (with 4 hi and low ranges) I had in my old SUV, with ABS only. I just feel more confident and that's what counts. You of course have the right to your opinion. Just don't try to convince everybody, it is the only right one.
    Studs are no guarantee for good contact with the road -they stick best to soft ice and packed snow, in all other conditions they actually compromise road contact. Even on black ice they will slide if the ice depth isn't sufficient to allow deep penetration. Some of the worst-performing winter tires I have used were studded (Glacier Grip- a Cooper Weathermaster Clone). They were good for straight line acceleration in the conditions I described but totally sucked in any fast cornering situation.
    Other Outlander owners have reported it around here, but not all; when my wife decided she wanted one I insisted on putting extra flaps on over the molded factory ones. I extended the front an extra 3'' and an inch out to the side so that the flaps look like the ones on the Endeavor. I have no chipping, so far.
    Opinions are great as is yours. Please read my earlier comments to see from where my comments derive. On the highway it is nice - "kinda like the hand of God straightening out the track" - very nice provided you are not being tail gaited. But my main comment was directed at those roads that are like you have been driving in Chicago but now take that same daily trip on a switch back road up a slope or hill with hard compact snow and ice and the intervention of the ASC is a deterent whether we are talking about Outlander or any other vehicle with this amazing technology. I went to great lengths to find the limits of this combination of systems. I perhaps have failed to make myself clear enough for you. Sorry.
    The reality is that in 99+% of real world conditions the ASC performs perfectly.

Your *rare* example is of a person trying to hustle the vehicle through a series of very tight switchbacks in the snow with another speedy vehicle right behind you. In that situation the solution is to switch ASC off and use 4WD lock. Doing that will eliminate the ASC from slowing the vehicle down to prevent loss of control and allow you to slide the vehicle using the throttle.

Your original assessment that the Outlander has a "grandma's" AWD system was because at that time you didn't completely understand how the system works.
    Yes I've read your comments, and still disagree. The only thing slowing me down is snow not ASC. ASC is only engaging when you back end is sliding the other direction than your front, and that's what it should do. Now, take any car (ASC or not) and turn right at intersection with corner not plowed clear yet, and show me how the car won't slow down. And that's exactly what twisty rod with packed snow is, turn after turn. And how other said, if yours ASC is on way to often, you are driving way to fast. Relax, winter is almost over.
  • growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    Lets get over the AWD shall we? It is fine.. The real reasons that Mitsu need to worry about, if they care to read this thread to begin with are as follows:

1. Poor ergonomics: No excuse for lack of telescopic steering wheel (get rid of anything else if in the way). I am 5 10 and its ridiculous I cant find a good seating position without stretching my hands all the way.
    2. Hard seats with no bolstering. I dont know about LS since I have XLS and leather seats are irritating with no cushion and no lumber/thoracic support/contours.
    3. Excessive noise: Its too damn noisy (guess they cant afford to tack on extra weight for noise reduction or they simply dont care)
    4. Cheap dash and door inserts. Plastic that looks terrible and no effort on the inside of doors. Just a sea of plastic everywhere.
    5. Steering wheel hard to turn (dont cut corners in areas where customers can feel the difference)
    6. Suspension too stiff. Understand that this is suv but no excuse in letting us feel every irregularity in the road.

Everything else about the vehicle is just fine and dandy!

On a bright note, there are no rattles in my outlander. Thank god for that. BTW, I have 33000 km on odo and owned it for more than a year now.
    The vehicle must all good, when you try to copy our wish list from "What do you like to see on next Outlander” tread on this forum. Any of those points above are hardly enough for "Why NOT to buy a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander” topic. To be honest, you should compare it to other cars in its class, and not to Audi, Lexus or BMW .
    Do you think they can add telescopic steering wheel, soft leather, extra insulation, soft plastics and real wood insert, back up camera, etc, on top of a long list of standard equipment, and still charge low 20K for it. Would you pay 35-40K for it?
    IMO seats, steering, performance and suspension are fine, more like European sedan, than floaty Camry or Buick style. I know, it is not for everybody, there are other choices out there. For me dash design is better than RAV4, equal to CRV or Santa FE, door panels could be more attractive, and they are for 2008. In the end it is all personal.
This discussion has been closed.