Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit Suspension/Steering Questions

2»

Comments

• bluefitbluefit Member Posts: 2
    Regarding your message, "At high speeds, my Corolla wanders slightly from side the side and it really bothers me."---I LOVE my 2010 Honda Fit but it does the SAME THING--it wanders from side to side, just a little bit, at high speeds. Almost feels like the pavement is grooved and the car is catching in the grooves and you have to correct it, when in fact the pavement isn't grooved at all. This is why I signed on to this forum, to see if anyone else is experiencing this problem and to find out why its happening. Is anyone else experiencing this with their Honda Fit?

Also, I get a strange "floating" sensation in my Honda Fit. At first I thought it was because I hadn't experienced a new car's suspension in forever (the car I had before this was VERY old) but my husband noticed the same thing! The "floating" feeling and weaving ever-so-slightly from side to side at high speeds sort of go together. Anyone out there know what I mean?? I really do LOVE my Fit though, but want to know if this is something that should be fixed.
  • lorraineraylorraineray Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the same problem in my 2010 Honda Accord 4-Cylinder. I don't even like to drive it because of this. I had a 2004 and a 2007 Accord and neither of these vehicles did this. I am wondering the same thing that maybe something is wrong with the suspension. Maybe they use the same suspension on the Accord as they do on the Fit.

Let me know if you find anything out regarding this issue.
  • bluefitbluefit Member Posts: 2
    Its been several weeks since I posted that message about my brand new little Honda Fit 'floating' slightly from side to side at high speeds, and I'm not experiencing that so much any more. I don't know if that's because I"ve gotten used to it, or if I've 'broken it in' somehow. But I can now say absolutely unequivocally that I adore my little 2010 Honda Fit. Its a great little car.
  • bayoujaybayoujay Member Posts: 24
    If you own a 2007 or 2008 Honda Fit and have experienced power steering failure, I implore you to contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration with your story so that we can get Honda or the government to issue a recall of the Electronic Power Steering Control Unit in our cars.

My power steering has been going out intermittently since the car was brand new. My dealer didn't do anything but clear the error codes and tell me Honda had not issued any bulletins or recalls about it. In the past week, my steering has gone out 4 times!! I checked the NHTSA website and found only 3 complaints, not including mine, which will be posted soon. Again, if you're experiencing power steering failure contact both Honda and NHTSA about it so a recall can be issued.
    Here is a link to the elusive Honda Service Bulletin related to the Power Steering Failure problem (09-043)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26491744/Service-Bulletin

Notice how they say, "steering feels heavier than normal." Well, yeah, the power assist has failed!!
  • waxrashwaxrash Member Posts: 6
    Stop driving your car! You are putting your life at risk. Waiting for honda to fix the problem is not worth your life. I feel your pain, and luckily our dealer took care of the problem even out of warranty. But even if you have to pay it's not work serious bodily harm.
    Don't worry, the car will be fixed this week. My point is for people who have or are having this problem to report it to the NHTSA so that Honda has to acknowledge that there is a serious problem with this component.
  • zachhart12zachhart12 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone noticed that the steering is off when others are sitting in your Fit? And also I've had to have the steering realigned three freaking times now and the car only has 50k miles on it.
  • willy6500willy6500 Member Posts: 1
    When my car had a bad eps unit the steering would often go dead if i let the car idle for extended periods of time. It did get replaced by the way at about 70k and Honda picked up most of the tab. It was around $1100.00 total and i think i paid around $200.00 of it. Getting them to pay wasn't an easy thing as i spent three weeks without a car while it sat at the dealer and i sat on the phone with Honda and the dealer and listened to lies and all sorts of BS. Most customers would have just written a check and walked away.

Good Luck Folks
  • fitmomfitmom Member Posts: 2
    My 2009 Honda Fit is having the same problem - intermitent loss of power steering! It happens just driving around town and on the highway. The dashboard steering light turns on and complete loss of power steering for about 2-5 seconds then pops back on. Just took to my dealer and they are having trouble figuring out what is wrong - they say they have never heard of this problem before.

Talk about DANGEROUS! I am heading over to the NHTSA website to post a complaint!
    Wow. They are either not being truthful, or they are incompetent. Just read the previous posts. Print these out and take them to the dealer. I bet they suddenly "figure it out". Power Steering control unit for sure.
    I posted the exact part number for a 2007 in my post #35. It's expensive so you have to push them.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/26491744/Service-Bulletin
    This only says thru 2008, but who knows.
  • fitmomfitmom Member Posts: 2
    My local Honda dealer is completely covering the cost and labor to replace the Electronic Steering. Glad they are doing the right thing. I wonder how many other folks are out there that haven't done a little homework to see there is a grave problem with Honda's power steering. Hope they recall.
  • jgatelyjgately Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Honda Fit Sport tracks the grooves (created by studded tires) in roads very closely. It
    also seems to pull either left or right at times for no apparent reason (although the road may be slanted one way or the other without my being able to actually see this). Braking on imperfect roads will sometimes cause excessive pulling one way or the other.

I have had the car looked at a couple of times by the dealer. Alignment is OK. The road test on nice, flat roads and they see no problems. (Either do I on nice roads.)

The car has 16 inch rims. The tires are Potenza 205/45R16 83W. The tires are original and have about 35K on them and will need to be replaced soon.

I don't know if the wheels/tires are the cause of my steering issues or if there is something else that I should have checked out.

Any ideas or thoughts as to the cause of my problem or any suggestions on replacement tires would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim G
  • silentraysilentray Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2012
    New to this forum and first post. Here to report that my daughter's new 2012 Fit had the loss of power steering issue (we think). While going apx. 70 mph on local interstate she experienced the pull to the left, then tried to correct, but loss control of the vehicle. Rain/wet hwy was also an issue. While trying to regian steering, she was hit by a tractor trailer and although she was ok, the car will more than likely be a total loss.

She had felt the pull to one side or the other a few times lately and was about to bring it in to the dealer because she knew something was wrong. Strange thing was, no dash lights came on indicating a power steering problem.

This just happened two days ago. I'm now researching the issue and finding mainly just 08 - 10 Fits seemed to have that problem. Her 2012 Fit was only two months old!!!

As you can imagine, i'm seriously pissed. She could have easily been killer or seriously injured. Looks like Honda hasn't ever put out a recall on this problem.
    Thanks fitmom for your reply. I called them and was told to call the DOT/Defects Investigation Dept which i did. They have no record of recalls or complaints pertaining to the 2012 Fit for the power steering/computer. Going to let her ins. and Honda deal with it and see what happens in the hopefully short term. We may need to be seeking a lawyer, but trying to avoid that since she was not injured.
  • thomasiresonthomasireson Member Posts: 1
    silentray, please fill out a report here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Your report is not yet listed, but there is one other instance of the same thing happening. Add your report and maybe they'll start taking it seriously.
    Already filed a report a few days before i posted. Her ins. company dropped the ball, caved in and accepted responsibility for the accident just a few days later. An inspection of the car was never done. Allstate sucks.

Daughter had gap ins. coverage so she wasn't out much. She didn't want to hire an attorney and have to try to fight Honda and or Allstate. Sure wish they would have had the car inspected tho, so we'd know for sure what did happen.

She ended up buying a Hyundai Elantra to replace the Fit.
  • im_fitim_fit Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    did you have a successful outcome? I hope so.

I had this problem for the first time yesterday and am more than a bit frantic.
    :cry:
    SORRY, I just read about your outcome.

I'm terribly sorry...but SO grateful that she's physically fine, even if out some money.

I'm hoping to avoid being in an accident because of this problem. I'll get my car towed to the Honda dealer today. I hope that they stand behind their product and repair it. I don't know that I'll ever feel safe to drive my car without a new power steering system.
    The situation came back up in Nov. Other driver claimed of more injuries! Sorry scum bag. I finally convinced her to hire an attorney. Come to find out, the ins. co. supposedly DID hire an outside co. to check out her Fit. Results were negative. Not surprising since the cars battery cables were cut by the fire dept. resulting in a loss of all codes that may have been shown. Plus the fact that the car was a total loss and probably wasn't driven. How can you test the eps system without driving the vehicle??? Checking for codes would be all they could have done, seems to me.

The best thing to do for those of you who have experienced the loss of the EPS in you car, is to file complaints. The more documented complaints that are on file the better.

Safe motoring everyone.
    Concerned dad
    I'm so sorry. Bleh.