Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Yep, that's what I'm afraid of.

The last I wanted was for the CR-V to get any bigger. It's already plenty big. But making it smaller was not in the cards, either. I don't think an inch or two missing from the rear seat will make a difference. There will still be plenty of room. And the additional inch of legroom up front doesn't hurt. But this thing had better have at least 65-68 cu.ft. of cargo space.

Judging by what I've seen, we lose the full-size spare and along with that we lose the fish tub. The cargo area in the RDX suggests that we lose the picnic table and get a stupid shelf/hard cargo cover, instead. That little contraption cuts down on cargo space, too. It makes the wheel arches so tall you can't use the space over the top of them.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Honda currently has $500 cash to dealer on the '06 CR-V. When have you known Honda to offer large incentives on it's vehicles?

I did not mean it in a rebate sence. Honda has always had varyous dealer incentives on its vehicles.

When I bought 2002 Civic Si, Honda had almost $3000 in incentives to dealers to sell it, along with 1.9% APR for 60 months, thus I was able to snag it for $14,500, where the MSRP was at $19,500 (Invoice at $17,500 or so).

The last week of March 2005, Honda had a $1500 dealer incentive on the CR-V on top of the 2.9% APR for 60 months. That is when I got my 2005 EX 5 man for $20,500.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    How do you get wired into when these incentives are going on? Would be nice to know when a dealer would be more incented to meet an offer.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    I'm wondering if Honda is making the new CR-V slightly smaller (almost Hyundai Tuscon-like in size), lighter and more fuel efficient so they can slip something in between the new CR-V and the Pilot? Maybe a 6 passenger Mazda5 competitor with AWD capability? I agree, Varmint, the thing that made the CR-V so attractive was it's spaciousness compared to everything else in it's class. Odd that Honda would take away one of it's key advantages.
    Is the RD-X significantly smaller than the current CR-V in all dimensions?
    I was browsing the TOV gallery and found this pic of the RDX cargo area. It shows the "shelf" removed from the floor and positioned as a cover instead.

Nice that they carpeted underneath it. Definitely, no picnic table or fish tub in there.
    "Is the RD-X significantly smaller than the current CR-V in all dimensions?"

Not as far as measured dimensions are considered. In fact, the RDX is bigger in a few key areas. Here's a few links where you can compare them.

CR-V and RDX

The wheelbase for the RDX is one inch longer. The track is 1.5" wider up front and almost 2" wider in the back. The overall length is pretty much the same (less than 1" shorter) and overall width of the body is up more than 3". The height is lower by an inch.

Personally, I am happy that this rig isn't any longer, but did get a wider track (potentially improved stability).

Up front, the driver gets a wee bit more legroom and shoulder room. In back, the RDX loses a bit of headroom and nearly 2" of legroom. Other measurments stay the same.

I'm okay with losing a little space in the back. The CR-V had plenty of space to spare. The RDX is supposed to be sporty and some compromises must be made. Besides, the 2007 CR-V might have a higher roof line gaining back some of that headroom.

Here's the first problem. Many reports coming in from the auto shows are stating that the RDX "feels" more cozy than a CR-V. Even though the measurements suggest otherwise, I can believe this. Numbers are frequently misleading.

The second problem is cargo space. The RDX has 60 cu.ft. The current CR-V has 72. Some of that can be regained with a hatch door that doesn't slope as much. (Compare the MDX or RX300 with the Pilot and Highlander and you'll see what I mean.) But I'm thinking the next gen CR-V specs out at 65-67 cu.ft.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It is curious that they would go smaller in a market moving in the other direction.

I saw the Santa Fe at NY is it was huge, bigger than the RAV4 even.

I don't think it needs a V6, maybe two variations of the 2.4l engine, 166hp and 190hp, both tuned to run on regular fuel. Put the 190hp in the SE models.

I went to NY and the RDX definitely feels more cozy then the current CR-V. Less airy too, with much smaller greenhouse. 4 will be comfy, but not 5. I'm not 100% certain but I believe the rear floor was also not flat (SH-AWD needs more space maybe?).

RAV4 - keep one thing in mind, Toyots sells 2 wheelbase lengths, the short one in Europe and the long one in the US. The only problem with that strategy is the RAV4 is really stepping on the Highlander's toes, of course we have to wait and see what they do to that model, as I imagine it will grow as well.

-juice
    The Santa Fe has always been Highlander-sized. They even weigh about the same.

I suspect, but will not know for certain until tomorrow, that one of the reasons for the smaller feeling in the RDX has to do with a higher beltline. Geek that I am, I will be bringing a tape measure when I hit NY.

The rear floor looks flat to me. The SH-AWD unit weighs considerably more than RT4WD and has a larger rear diff, but there's no reason for the drive shaft to be any bigger. I think the larger diff explains the poor ground clearance (6.5").

My *hope* was that Honda would use a simpler variant of VTM-4 in the CR-V. Eliminate the side-to-side clutch packs in the diff to reduce weight and they'd have a system very similar to what is currently used in the RAV4 and Escape. A simplified (more compact) design might leave greater clearance, as well. The article above states a return of RT4WD, though.

I think Toyota's 2 wheelbase plan is a good one, which Honda should have adopted. Toyota is rumored to be stealing Honda's design plan and using their minivan platform for the Highlander replacement.

There, did I cover everything? :P
    I guess the old one was just very inefficient in its use of space. It's no roomier than the Tucson inside, yet it's a lot bigger outside.

The new one is much better. It seemed cavernous inside. If it gets a diet and a more fuel efficient engine it might be a real sleeper. It was next to the CX7, and seemed to dwarf the Mazda in comparison.

Tape measure? I've done that, too. Forgot to take it with me on Monday.

Floor - I thought I felt a hump. Maybe that was the CX7. I saw so many vehicles it's hard to remember. Bob had the camera but didn't take many pics.

The center rear definitely felt like a hump, i.e. hard and like the seat was not shaped for 3 people across.

-juice

PS I'm registering at TOV to see those pics
    Sorry, forgot that TOV has them restricted. Here's the same image (only smaller) from Hondanews.com. It doesn't show the whole floor, but, if there is a lump there, it can't be more than a half-inch tall.

http://us.tnpv.net/pv/2006/04/12/HON2006041230816_pv.jpg

This is the whole gallery.
  • paulhuangpaulhuang Member Posts: 62
    I am glad to see the issue has been closed (with a rather simple resolution as well).
    Thank you for your help!
    Paul
    How do you get wired into when these incentives are going on? Would be nice to know when a dealer would be more incented to meet an offer.

Connections, or just monitor http://www.carsdirect.com you can get a pretty good idea what is being offered by jast comparing their prices with list.
  • newcrvguynewcrvguy Member Posts: 8
    I own (original owner) a 2005 Honda CRV LX (Approx 17,900 miles), with optional sidesteps, no modification to OEM parts, aside from tinted windows. I was driving my CRV last night (04/20/06) and suddenly every other vehicle on the road began to beep and flash there high beams at me. MY CAR WAS ON FIRE! The cabin began filling with smoke as I pulled to the side of the road. After running about 200 ft away, my girlfriend and I looked back to see flames dripping down from the engine compartment to the ground. I had read about this happening to the 2003-2004 models after their first oil change, but I've had several oil changes without any problems (my last oil change was on 04/06/06) and my CRV has been driven daily. I also read that Honda had "fixed" the problem.
    My worry is that my insurance company is going to blame the company (Honda) and Honda will blame the place I got my last oil change from.
    My other worry is that they will not declare the vehicle a total loss. I am afraid to get back into a vehicle with a history of spontaneous combustion. I was fortunate enough that my 4 year old was not strapped into his car seat this time and would rather not take a chance on this happening again.
    Additionally, if it is "repaired" I can only guess that my resale value will be significantly diminished.
    I am considering hiring a lawyer if they try to repair the car as I really don't believe it to be a safe vehicle any longer. I would suggest that any would be CRV buyers carefully consider this problem before their purchase.
    Any advice or information regarding this would be welcomed and most appreciated.
    Thank You all in advance and I truly hope you never find yourself in this situation.
    Praietor
  • newcrvguynewcrvguy Member Posts: 8
    I bought my CRV brand new in December 2004. I live in South Florida and the car has received regular oil changes mostly from the Honda dealership.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Sorry to hear of your experience. This is not "spontaneous combustion". Unless something really unusualy happened, the problem is that your dealer failed to remove the old oil filter gasket when they changed the oil. Then they put a 2nd gasket on top of the old one, resulting in "double gasket". Eventually, such an improper installation will fail, causing oil to leak (or spray) out of the engine onto the hot exhaust elements, causing the fire. This has been the cause of the engine fires in every case.

Honda did not change the design of the CR-V between 2004 and 2006 to correct the engine fires; they found the original culprit (a faulty rubber in a new oil filter gasket - introduced in the 2004 model year) and replaced it, and warned all dealers to be sure and thoroughly check to ensure the old gasket was removed.

If you had your CR-V engine oil replaced by the dealer, you should have no problems. If you used an outside oil change company (like Jiffy Lube) you may be forced to seek compensation from them. The insurance adjuster will be able to determine if the fire was originated in the oil filter area.

Some dealerships were returning the old gaskets to the owner after the oil change to demonstrate that it was done right. I would not be afraid to buy another CR-V, but you might ask for the gasket to be returned after the oil changes, for your own peace of mind.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Sorry to hear about your experience. First, you'll have to wait to see what Honda and the dealer determine as the cause of the fire. Where did you have your last oil & filter change done? Hopefully the dealer. Just because the CRV engine fire problem was corrected, doesn't mean you couldn't get a fire. A double gasket could still be the culprit.
    Report it to the NHTSA along with your VIN and the circumstances.
    Where was the last oil change performed?

If the insurance comapny determins that the cause of fire was improper filter installation, the oil change place is to be blamed.

Improper filter instllation will cause fire in any vehicle.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Sorry to hear of your experience.

You basically have nothing to worry about in terms of who to blame or getting the vehicle back.

An engine fire will usually total the vehicle. It's too much to fix.

As for the insurance, they will pay you and then they'll go after whoever they feel is at fault. Unless you did something totally negligent, your hands will be washed of it once you get paid by your insurer. LET THEM HANDLE IT!!

Good luck.
    Thanks for the link to that gallery.

That pic shows how the rear glass is pretty close to the rear headrest, especially if you raise it. Boxier vehicles like the CR-V end up being able to carry taller items better for that reason. But I guess it's the same with the Tribeca vs. Forester, too.

Sorry to hear about the engine fire.

Honda should really switch to an oil filter that has an integrated (non-removeable) gasket. The one Subaru specifies for Purolator to supply to them has one, and the gasket simply cannot be removed.

An incredibly simple solution to the double-gasket issue. What would it cost them? 30 cents extra? The Purolator filters retails for $4 or so.

-juice
  • redzepplunredzepplun Member Posts: 1
    We are about to pull the trigger and purhcase an '03 CRV EX. We are considering silver or black for the exterior. My wife was concerned that the black would get super hot. I told her that the privacy glass should help and the AC system is supposed to be fast cooling. Anyone have any feedback on this for me?

TIA
  • n_i_nn_i_n Member Posts: 1
    I would stay far away from black. It will show every teeny tiny spec of dirt and scratches. It will never be clean looking for more than a day or two. It will frustrate you very much if you are one of those people who always needs a clean car. :mad:

If not...

The black does not get that much hotter than any other car. Not that I ever noticed anyway.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I don't think it is any hotter... However, the black paint on my CR-V is the least durable of any Honda that I've ever had, including an '82 Accord...

I take pretty good care of my vehicles.. garaged, etc... but, my CR-V looks like Freddy Krueger has done a nail job on it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    There's a very good reason you don't see many black cars in Florida.

Black also requires a practiced hand at washing and polishing. Commercial car washes may leave you with fine scratches and swirls.

We're entering pollen season in New England. If you've washed your black car in the driveway and go inside to drink a beer and watch a little teevee, you'll be able to write, "Oh, Darn!" with your finger on the hood when you come back outside.
    We are about to pull the trigger and purhcase an '03 CRV EX. We are considering silver or black for the exterior. My wife was concerned that the black would get super hot. I told her that the privacy glass should help and the AC system is supposed to be fast cooling. Anyone have any feedback on this for me?

TIA

Black is the most beautiful color for a car, but after 2 black cars I got a silver one. I can go without a wash for 2-3 weeks and it still looks clean. Black on the other hand, you have to wash, hand wash, everyother day if you want it to look sharp.

As far as interior getting hot, black interior will have more of an effect here than black exterior.

In the summer, I would leave the sunroof tilted up and the shade closed half way, as well as leaving windows open a bit, to let the hot air escape.

Honda oulines a procedure for quick cooling an overheated interior in the OWNER's MANUAL. Once you buy the car, read the manual first thing. The procedure works very effectivley at cooling the interior.
    "We are about to pull the trigger and purhcase an '03 CRV EX. "

Did you mean '06, or do you have two used CR-V from which to choose?
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Does anyone have any links on changes being done on the CRV? I am mostly interested in MPG. But other changes would be good to know. I read its a redesign.
    We have not seen anything official. Expect some "real" news in a month or so, but details like EPA mileage probably won't be certain until the end of the summer.
  • slaigoslaigo Member Posts: 18
    Check this out

http://world.honda.com/HondaAutomobilesSuisse/

Is the FRV listed here the new CRV 2007
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    No that's a six seater with FWD only. It's designed to compete with the Mazda 5 and Opel Zafira in Europe.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Nobody outside of Honda knows what the next CR-V will look like yet -- and the insiders aren't talking. There are various pictures of purported 3rd gen designs circulating on the Web but most if not all are obviously Photoshopped. Honda keeps these things very tightly under wraps until not long before the official introduction.
    Agreed. However, the one generating this discussion is not a chop. Perhaps you missed it.

varmint, "Honda CR-V" #15645, 20 Apr 2006 8:30 am
  • sabenedisabenedi Member Posts: 1
    At about 84,000 miles- my engine light came on and the car ended up in "limp" mode. I took it straight to the dealer. This car has had every Honda recommended tune-up at the suggested mileage. It had been for the 80,000 mile tune-up/oil change at 81,000 miles. Honda said the problem was that it was short a quart of oil. They recommended that because of my "high mileage" that I should no longer follow the recommended 5,000 mile oil changes and get it changed every 3000 miles. THey could not find a leak. 2,500 miles and my Honda oil was at the fill line (It had been full). I put a quart in (using the 5w-20). There are not any oil spots in my parking spot and the exhaust is clean. There is definitely a leak somewhere. I don't like their recommendation as a car is not supposed to be losing oil. Has anyone else had similar problems? This can be really exspensive to find this problem. And with all the driving that I am doing, constantly monitoring and adding oil doesn't seem like a good solution. What if I'm on a long trip and am not carrying enough oil?
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    a FRIEND OF MINE HAVE A SET OF RIMS&TIRES FROM A ACCORD EX i THINKS THEY ARE 15'S WILL THEY FIT THE 2002 CRV?
    At about 84,000 miles- my engine light came on and the car ended up in "limp" mode. I took it straight to the dealer. This car has had every Honda recommended tune-up at the suggested mileage. It had been for the 80,000 mile tune-up/oil change at 81,000 miles. Honda said the problem was that it was short a quart of oil. They recommended that because of my "high mileage" that I should no longer follow the recommended 5,000 mile oil changes and get it changed every 3000 miles. THey could not find a leak. 2,500 miles and my Honda oil was at the fill line (It had been full). I put a quart in (using the 5w-20). There are not any oil spots in my parking spot and the exhaust is clean. There is definitely a leak somewhere. I don't like their recommendation as a car is not supposed to be losing oil. Has anyone else had similar problems? This can be really exspensive to find this problem. And with all the driving that I am doing, constantly monitoring and adding oil doesn't seem like a good solution. What if I'm on a long trip and am not carrying enough oil?

Honda specifies 1 quart per 1000 miles as normal. You are losing a quart every 2,500 miles, which is within Honda specifications.

As far as engines not losing oil, every engine loses oil, that is the nature of the lubrication system. Some replace it with combustion by products, and some don't.
    "Honda specifies 1 quart per 1000 miles as normal. You are losing a quart every 2,500 miles, which is within Honda specifications.

As far as engines not losing oil, every engine loses oil, that is the nature of the lubrication system. Some replace it with combustion by products, and some don't."

I had my 2003 CR-V for 44,000 miles, and never had to add oil. I used 5K change intervals per the severe schedule.
    "Honda specifies 1 quart per 1000 miles as normal. You are losing a quart every 2,500 miles, which is within Honda specifications.

As far as engines not losing oil, every engine loses oil, that is the nature of the lubrication system. Some replace it with combustion by products, and some don't."

I had my 2003 CR-V for 44,000 miles, and never had to add oil. I used 5K change intervals per the severe schedule.

Looser engine will let the combustion byproducts into the oil giving you the impression that the oil level does not change. In some exptreme cases, oil level rises with time. This is because combustion byproducts and water condensation make their way into the oil pan.
  • pointatobpointatob Member Posts: 30
    Hi,

you may already know this or maybe it was posted on a different page, but according to that edmunds spy shot of a crv, (i saw it on insideline) the crv will still be based on the civic chassis while the acura rdx will be based off of the next gen accord platform. this doesn't mean that the rdx can't be smaller than current gen crv though. hopefully, the cargo area in the new crv won't get any smaller. i couldn't get a pic from your previous post; a note said that it had been removed due to high bandwidth....
  • tomf7tomf7 Member Posts: 1
    My 01 CR-V automatic 33K miles has a what I thought was an exhaust rattle , or buzzing noise that I can hear at 2300rpm most noticeable in overdrive on a flat surface with a slight load on the engine. I can hear it from a dead stop but once for a split second.

It kind of reminds me of a noise you would hear if the air cleaner was off,no noise above or below the specified rpms, I indicated but once you hear the buzzing or rattle if you let off slightly or step on the throttle a bit the noise goes away.

I checked the heat shields around the cat/converter,and for something under the hood to be touching, something loose in the storage compartment inside nothing there I can see.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Tom
    Have the timing belt tensioner checked.
    Nice nick-name. :)

I think the platform thing is a matter of semantics. This "new" platform for the RDX and CR-V appears to share many common features with the new Civic. Yet, there are many differences, as well.

In today's day and age, the term platform means next to nothing. Nissan has FWD and RWD and AWD vehicles on the same "platform". Honda has trucks, SUVs, and minivans being built on the same lines (which should indicate the same platform), yet they have completely different architectures. When the 1999 Ody was first announced, we were told it was based on a highly-modified Accord platform. Now we consider it a separate design. Honda's assembly plants in Ohio have been modified to the point where they can build just about anything, regardless of which platform it is based upon.

How many differences must there be before a platform is considered different than the design which it modified? If the CR-V/RDX share 50% of the assembly process with the Civic, should we consider them the same platform?

In this case, I think we have to give Honda the benefit of the doubt. Since the word "platform" has almost no real meaning anymore, Honda gets to call it whatever they want.

As for pics, try the ones below.

http://us.tnpv.net/pv/2006/04/12/HON2006041230805_pv.jpg

That one shows the RDX cargo bay with the "shelf" removed from the floor. The "shelf" is a large, flat, carpet-covered piece of plastic, which serves as the cargo floor most of the time. However, it may also be placed on top of the metal glides where it serves as both a shelf and cargo cover. It is completely missing in that photo.

Look closely and you'll see that something is missing from the floor (leaving a lip where the shelf normally rests).

http://us.tnpv.net/pv/2006/04/12/HON2006041230918_pv.jpg

Okay, that picture shows the cargo floor with the shelf in place. It's serving duty as a level floor in this pic. When mounted as a shelf/cover, those two string are attached to the hatch. When you open the hatch, the shelf lifts up (like my old 323 hatchback).

The whole arrangement is very similar to what Chevy did with their Equinox.
    "Looser engine will let the combustion byproducts into the oil giving you the impression that the oil level does not change. In some exptreme cases, oil level rises with time. This is because combustion byproducts and water condensation make their way into the oil pan."

Well, I never had my engine oil analyzed, but it never looked dirty at any time in those 44K miles. Personally, I don't think that a 44K Honda engine is "loose". However, I did run the factory oil to 7500 miles, as recommended by Honda.

I should note that before the Honda I had Fords, which went through about 1 quart every 2500 miles. My current Ford has not used any oil yet (3700 miles).
    Nissan has FWD and RWD and AWD vehicles on the same "platform"

I don't think that's correct - the Altima, Maxima, Murano, and Quest use the FM platform, FWD or AWD. The Z, G35, and FX use a different platform, RWD or AWD.

But I don't think you'll find FWD and RWD on the same platform at Nissan.

Any how, the point is valid, we see a lot of variation from a tiny Z coupe to a massive FX45 SUV.

-juice
    The FM is the one underpinning the G35 sedan, coupe, and FX. But the same basic platform is used for FWDers (Altima/Murano), as well.

Go into any thread where a Honda fan defends the TL and RL being FWD-based as a result fo platform-sharing, and you'll find a RWD proponent mentioning that Nissan can do it, so Honda should too.
    I'm wrong about the name, but I'm pretty sure they are two seperate platforms.

Yeah, Maxima is on the FF-L platform, the rear drivers are indeed FM.

To make things more confusing, the new Altima is now on the D platform. Go figure.

I'm sure they share some parts, though.

-juice
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    In Edmund's take on the new CR-V, they say that it will no longer be competing with the RAV4.

'Cause of the optional V6? The third row? 'Cause the CR-V looks to be staying the same size while the RAV4 grew in size?

That statement seems pretty silly to me. Just from observation, I thought the RAV4 needed to grow to be competitive, while the CR-V is already pretty roomy for its class. And, while having an optional V6 is certainly nice, it doesn't put the RAV4 into a different class, and the bread-and-butter will still be the 4-cyl.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

"That statement seems pretty silly to me. Just from observation, I thought the RAV4 needed to grow to be competitive, while the CR-V is already pretty roomy for its class. And, while having an optional V6 is certainly nice, it doesn't put the RAV4 into a different class, and the bread-and-butter will still be the 4-cyl."

It isn't the V6. If the sneak peaks are true, the angled the rear roofline, and this is going to reduce the cargo capacity, making the CR-V a COMPACT, rather than midsize SUV. (Unless the increase interior dimensions somewhere else).
  • tendertender Member Posts: 1
    yes.i own jeeps.and ill tell ya i got a 2005 crv rides nice and iam very happy with it . and ill tell ya im not happy with the jeeps; now i know when they say you woulent under stand its a jeep thing i know now i wont buy anymore
    People will still cross-shop them.

Most RAV4s are 4 bangers, and most don't have the 3rd row. I'm sure about half of them overall are 4-cylinder 5 seaters, same as the CR-V.

I'm sure a few will cross-shop Pilots with V6/7 seaters, but honestly I'd expect more CR-V shoppers.

-juice
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Saying the new CR-V will no longer "compete" with the RAV4 just because it (apparently) isn't bigger than the current iteration is silly, since RAV4 is just catching up with the CR-V on that score.

However, now that the CR-V will no longer have a significant size/roominess advantage over the RAV4, I think it is going to lose a signficant number of sales to RAV4 if it doesn't offer a V6. Yes, not everybody cares about this and the I4 will be the volume seller. But Toyota is selling V6 RAV's as fast as it can build them, AND is having to build way more V6's relative to the 4 cyl version then they thought they would. This suggests to me that a number of Honda's potential customers are likely to go RAV4 for the vastly improved fun to drive factor and towing capacity provided by 100 additional horses if Honda doesn't provide this option -- especially since the fuel economy difference between the two engines is only a couple of mpg.