Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• red49okred49ok Member Posts: 1
    Google Buick Enclave Service bulletin...there are several regarding your problem. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE file a complaint on the BBB...I will be writing mine out this week.. I went from July 19, 2011 without my enclave or a loaner car thru the last week of October! it went in under a warranty code that popped up on the display and they gave me my car back running like crap....they dropped it off with my son and when i called they said they'd lost enough working on my car. Buick National is worthless...I finally found a dealership that immediately realized my problems were in a service bulletin....if ANY enclave goes up on a lift more than a few hours, the struts go bad...even brand new ones! and the car then rides like a bucking horse!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Red49ok,

Have you, since the last week of October, been with your vehicle? Has the concern been resolved? If Customer Assistance can be of service to you (following up with the dealership, setting up a Service Request case, looking into warranty/recall information on your vehicle), please don’t hesitate to email us with your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your preferred dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • myrtlemanmyrtleman Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2010 cxl FWD. Battery went dead when car was 2 weeks old. Just sitting in the garage for 5 days. Dealer checked it out, found nothing wrong. (Got the car nice and filthy dirty though) Anyway, here's what I have done and it never went dead again. Everytime you shut the car off make sure you're out of reverse and in park for 30 seconds or so before you turn the key off. Then get out of the car, shut the door and lock the car with the key holder right away. I read about this online and I never had another problem again. May be a pain but it's better than the dealership getting grease all over the car and fixing nothing!
    Myrtleman,

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a satisfactory experience with your dealership. Will you please consider emailing us more details about this visit? We would like to follow up with you on it. Please include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Many thanks,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • cobia1cobia1 Member Posts: 1
    I need information on damage to struts after being on left. This happen to my Enclave today while dealer was repairing steering. Above 45 mph the car starts bucking, which can be seen from another car.
    Good morning, cobia1,

If I understand your post correctly, your Enclave is experiencing strut difficulty which you attribute to being on the lift at the dealership? Please email us with more information, including your name, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your dealership, as we would like to follow up with you.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • oschatzoschatz Member Posts: 1
    Just discovered this website. Glad to see that GM customer service folks reply to these concerns, because Buick never responded to my two letters written in 2006 to Buick and then to GM customer service concerning computer problems with my Rendezvous. Never received the courtresy of a reply from Buick or GM, which is caused my hesitation in buying a GM car again.
    I told them in my letters that I have never bought a foreign car and asked whether they care if I buy a Buick or GM car again. No response, and these were not hard=hitting letters at all.
    At any rate, it's good to see GM customer service reps responding to Enclase owners' concerns.
    Thank you for the kind post, oschatz. We're doing what we can!
    If we can assist with anything, please let us know.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • champy815champy815 Member Posts: 1
    Can't seem to locate the turn signal flasher on my 2008 Enclave. Left turn signal works fine as do the 4 way flashers but the right signal does not come on at all. Does any one have a clue as to where the flasher is located. I can hear it click but can't trace it.
    There is information on replacing the bulbs on p. 5-46 of the 2008 Enclave Manual. Or you may want to consider checking the fuses (information begins on p. 5-100).
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jacksparrow2jacksparrow2 Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2012
    Hi,
    I own a 2008 Buick Enclave cxl awd. Two weeks ago I replaced the air filter, and found a large amount of a brown liquid in the flex pipe between the air filter box and the throttle body. I cleaned out all the crap and reassembled everything. The suv went to the dealer on monday, and after two weeks there was engine oil in the flex pipe and in the throttle body. The vehicule has 47250 miles (76000kms). What causes the upflow of oil to the throttle body, and what is the solution? I was told by the dealer it could be the valve cover gaskets, and that the vehicule is no longer under warranty. Is this a common problem on this engine? My 18 year old Chrysler Intrepid has 212500 miles(342000kms) on it's original 3.3 liter engine, and has never done anything like this.
    I have read on the net that the 3.6 liter engine may also have ring and valve seal problems. Is there a tsb or pip explaining my symptoms?
    Can anyone help me out on this one???

Don

P.S. The Intrepid is all original never broke down or had any major repairs.
    While we're not able to help answer technical questions, we are available to assist you in working with your dealership. Please get in contact via email with more information (your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your dealership) and we'll look into this further.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jacksparrow2jacksparrow2 Member Posts: 17
    TSB 11-06-01-004b tells it all...............
  • sakensteinsakenstein Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 Enclave with 23.5k miles on it. The dealer is pushing me to have fuel injector and throttle body service done for $230. There is nothing is wrong with either, but this type of service is "recommended" at this mileage interval. But is this service necessary?
    Hello sakenstein,

Great question; I do not have the technical expertise of our technicians, but I would refer you to the suggested maintenance schedule in your owner's manual (specifically p. 11-4). This will outline what is required every month, every hear, every 50,000 miles, and so on.

I hope it's helpful for you!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jenntljenntl Member Posts: 33
    Hello - have had my 2012 Enclave since mid-February. Didn't really want the beige interior but that's what they had available with the other options I wanted. Noticed VERY early on that my driver's seat turns blue from my jeans so have periodically cleaned it. Now today I notice that along the lower back of the seat (portion that reclines) I am noticing the leather has actually WORN off slightly is seems. I don't wear belts all that often. I'm small (5' 1") and petite in general and I don't have a crazy commute so not IN the seat all that often. REALLY disappointed in this. I will point it out when I go in for my first oil change. Also have had an OBNOXIOUS squeak in my wheel just about every time it turns either direction that I'll be having them address when I go in. Anyone else experience this and did Buick fix appropriately? I know they tried to push the "scotch guarding" heavily at lease time but I declined.
  • cassidy5cassidy5 Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I have a 2010 Enclave bought used with 19,000 miles, now with 64,000. I am concerned after reading these posts. I almost hit another car today when turning due to the steering wheel being difficult to move. It started a couple months ago, got better.... with new tires and is bad again. I am off to the dealer in the morning.
  • buckeyewifebuckeyewife Member Posts: 8
    If you look back at my posting - you'll see my list of troubles - not to disappoint here are the newest (although the leak was pointed out previously). Took car (HA HA) in before our vacation trip for oil change and to reiterate the leak, red spot on garage floor, still present. Initially they couldn't tell exactly where the leak was coming from, told us they would put dye in it have us drive off to vacation land and bring it back. DH said - "is it safe to drive?" They said they would call us back. Turns out the mechanic took it out, jacked it up and discovered dye spray everywhere - we needed to replace the Torque converter... Didn't think the dealership would have it ready before Friday. Good news - went to pick up car. Bad news - when just looking at car, could see driver side rear wheel well was way above the tire; and very obvious when comparing to the rest of the wheel wells. Asked me to have a seat and they would have the mechanic take a look. An hour later...said ready to go. Give us a call if you have any problems. Didn't need to call, got in the car, got on the highway and was bouncing along as if I where sitting on bouncy balls...not to mention the fact that as I turned the steering wheel it was noticeably tight and not smooth. Got right off exit and took it back...hopefully will hear good news tomorrow. Just want to through this in too....Power lumbar driver seat no longer works....($80 charge just to look at - don't think so); passenger seat recline sounds like creaking bones on Halloween! Fun Fun Fun ... we are currently at the 93,xxx mark! :lemon: :lemon:
  • ronjbaronjba Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I'm trying to locate the a/c low pressure port for my 2008 Buick Enclave to recharge it. I have no idea where it is, does anyone know? Thanks Rob
  • mcduffermcduffer Member Posts: 4
    My '08 Enclave has expierience many of the problems posted in forums. Most have been repaired but my currant one is a puzzle. Check air bag alert is on more than off. Service bulletin fixed it for a a few weeks, 2 dealers have checked and went so far as to remove complete dash and also replace air bag. Light came back on. 5 different trips to dealer for repair(I could have gone back every 3 months or so but just gave up) Now it is getting time to replace at 70,000 miles.

No one wants to buy a car with air bag problems so it is virtually unsellable. Buick says bring it back in for further repairs (" no you can't have a loaner and yes, you have to pay for diagnotic check) gee thanks guys.

Any ideas out there?
    Had the same issue. Found out that my iPhone sets off the censor. Can't lay it on empty seat, can't have it in pocket or purse. Hope this helps
    buckeyewife-thanks for the quick reply. How did you figure this out? Also where do you keep your cellphone while in the car? I have another service appointment on Monday and would like to experiment a little over the week-end.
    edited November 2012
    the service tech at my dealership found this info. I keep my phone in the door pocket, center council change pocket, or on the little open area near the gear shift. Hope this helps....you can try it without going to the appointment by turning your car on (don't sit down) put your phone on the passenger seat and see if your light comes on.
  • ericredericred Member Posts: 1
    My passenger airbag system started intermittently flashing "service airbag". Took it to the local dealer, they said "Oh, we found a fork under the seat, this is your problem". Needless to say this was not the problem. Now the light is on all of the time and the dealer told us the car is now past 60k miles and GM is not responsible.

This car has had major work to the steering column, the transmission replaced and numerous brake system problems.

Warning to all GM customers, the manufacturer will not help you!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    ericred,

If you would like for us to check into this further with the dealership, please contact us via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership, along with a brief recap of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • grits18grits18 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 Enclave with 110000 miles and tomorrow it is going in to the dealership for the 2nd time with the same symptoms (service stabilitrack, traction control, reduced engine power). Feb 2012 they replaced throttle body when the same warnings were flashing. Difference now is, of course, I am no longer under warrenty. I have heard there is a known problem that will cause this and it has to do with the 3.6L engines and is a $3-4K repair that GM is refusing to recognize on these engines. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
    Please see my post #128. Were you getting stabilitrak/traction control warnings? I had my local mechanic look at my 2008 Enclave and he found the brown fluid just as you described. He cleaned it out, but the warnings began immediately again. I had the same problem almost a year ago and dealership replaced throttle body. I am going to dealership tomorrow to try to have the problem diagnosed, but I was told by my local mechanic it is a known problem with the 3.6L engines. Have you gotten any resolution with your Enclave?
    My engine light problem actually turned out to be a bad wire connection in the under seat wiring harness. Everytime they checked it out with the seats out the light wouldn't go on..install the seats and console again and pretty soon the light would come back on. The last time (6th try) I didn't even get it off the lot before it came on again. Finally they checked each wire individually in the harness and one was not completely solderd. so far so good but it sounds like these "08's are one problem after another and They have gotten so expensive we might as well buy a Suburban or Cadillac crossover for the same price.
    Any updates on your visit today, grits18? If we can look into anything further for you, please contact us via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation so far).

We're glad to hear that they got to the bottom of it, mcduffer! Keep us posted if anything should arise by emailing [email protected] (include your case number or the last 8 of your VIN with a description of what's going on). Hopefully this won't have to happen, but we're here if you have additional problems.

I do have a response and I have emailed you @ the address you provided. I am told that I need to have the PCV hose valve cover and seal replaced and that this is a re-designed part. This is the issue I was speaking of in my original post that this problem is due to a design flaw in the 3.6 engine. It is my understanding that Enclaves, Acadias, Envoys and a Cadillac model (do not recall which one) have this engine and will develope this problem at some point. I will await your response to my email and will let others on this forum know if GM is standing behind their product or excusing themselves from responsibility.
  • aaplsueaaplsue Member Posts: 37
    GMC does not want to do a recall and fix the problem. I also had the same problem on my 2008 except the brake warning light was also on at the same time. Dealer said it was a faulty part. FAULTY meaning GMC put a bad part in the cars and we the consumer are stuck paying full retail for the part along with a service charge over $500 dollar cost to fix the mistake (master brake cylinder). My dealer told me the car was a risk to drive and I needed to repair it asap or do not drive it. They assured me that GMC would be sent the faulty part for inspection (wrong). Nobody knows where the part went. Really? I could have taken it and did my own investigation??
  • chosen33chosen33 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2008 Buick Enclave having the same warnings as it seems the other 08s are having. It literally start shutting my vehicle down to the point I had to have it towed to the dealership. Just received a call today from the dealer saying that is was bad wiring (shortage) in the throttle body. But also they are getting a lot of codes off of the transmission, which indicates the transmission is about to go out. Which also seems to be a serious issue with the 08s. And the front struts are going bad and need to be replaced. I'm not understanding why GM will not put a recall out on all of these issues that apparently seem to be design flaws. You pay $40,000 for a vehicle, you don't expect to have to shell out $5k or more at the 3-5 year mark on the vehicle. Really disappointed in Buick.
    Had the same warning light, the dealer fix it and as soon as I drove off the lot the break warning light came on. That's when they told me not to drive the car, after inspection they said I needed a new brake master cylinder. Faulty wiring is what I suspected. GM and the dealer assured me they would be sent the part for inspection, I was dumb enough to believe so I didn't take the part. Sure enough they went back and forth saying they both do not have it. Calls never returned.
    Stuck with big $$$.
    I cannot understand how GM can justify not reacting to these issues. I am now stuck with almost $1000 repair to replace the valve cover and seal and intake tube. This is a re-designed part because the original part was flawed and GM takes no responsibility. I already had the throttle body replaced last year under warranty, thankfully, for the same warnings. I was getting emails from a GM Customer Service Rep but when I asked direct questions about these problems listed on the forums, her response was "GM does not consider online forums to be a valid source of information"!!! I would recommend watching for the class action lawsuit if GM does not issue a recall. They say it's not a "safety" concern, so no recall. But I would say when my traction control is jerking on and off and my engine power reduces to 30-40 mph, that's a safety concern for me. Not to mention I live where it snows and traction control would be a good thing to have operational. Way to go, GM, you have lost this customer for life.
    I shared the same safety concern with my dealer over a year ago about my vehicle losing acceleration, especially when I was getting onto the interstate and cars/18wheelers coming at 70-80mph and my vehicle would stall around 30-40mph. They told me then they couldn't re-create the issue. I no longer have warranty and I now have to pay cash for the very evident issue.
    chosen33,

We're sorry to hear about the troubles you've had with your Enclave. If we can check into this further for you, please email us at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

My service airbag light turned out to be loose wire in the wiring harness under the seat. When they removed the seats the light went out. Put the seats and console back in and the light came back on after driving for a short period. It took 6 tries before they found it. Either that or they took the bulb out.

How many miles are on the '08's with throttle body and transmission problems? Leaving for 2 weeks in California on Thursday and now you have me scared to drive!
  • biggerfoot1biggerfoot1 Member Posts: 5
    Having the same issues with my 2008 AWD CXL. It happens if I pass someone and then back off. Like clock work when I enter the freeway I notice the traction light comes on then park and brake light comes on air bag service light stabilitrack/traction with engine light. Few miles down road shuts down to 20 mph on interstate traffic. Set along road watching others stare while they go by. Each time I set approx 30 minutes with engine off once I start it will take off and I can get it back to normal speed, until next time. Lose air pressure on one tire even after I put on brand new tires. I need to fix the problem of the engine powering down its cold in MN and setting along the road it's miserable. Did I mention my AC stopped working last fall. But I love this car I wanted to trade for new one. But concerned reading the complaints Last 8 on VIN 8J162943
    biggerfoot1,

I checked your VIN and see that you're outside of the main warranties (bumper to bumper and powertrain) by time at this point. I'm sorry about this, especially given your current concerns. Do you have a game plan about getting this checked into?

• biggerfoot1biggerfoot1 Member Posts: 5
    I will no doubt trade it before I have other issues. I sure was hoping for a new one, but I will have to check into Ford or Chrysler. Too bad I bragged to others about the car, but that was before it hit 110,00 miles. But I still really like the ride and look.
    Sorry..just read your question. I have about 130,000 miles.all problems began around 56,000 miles for me. Water pump replaced, rack & pinion replaced; leaking roof; emissions valve replaced..now throttle body, transmission going bad and they say front struts are starting to lock up
    That's what's sad...I really love my vehicle and have don't really want another type of vehicle..but the mechanical failures are monstrous..don't know if I could get a decent trade in with all these issue
  • dpruitt2dpruitt2 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    We're having the same issue... :( . You would think GM would do something about this...BUT. This is truly disturbing...I shouldn't have to pay for this. My Grand-Father drove a GM, my father still drives a GM and after today I may just end this tradition. This is like buying a luxury home and the builder tells you: "Congratulations again...its been 5 yrs. since your purchase with us. If you are experiencing foundation problems right now...it is perfectly normal. BUT, don't worry your insurance should have your back...HOPEFULLY :) . Thx again for chosing Dye Anal Builders"

What's so sad about this is; we chose American made over German. Boy I feel stupid. After this, driving on a GM dealers lot may be very slim in our future. Still an American cunsumer and big support...just not a big fan of GM.
    :lemon: :lemon:
    dpruitt2,
    Please let us know if we can check into anything further with you if you decide to work with a dealership to get this looked at. We can be reached at [email protected] (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • mbf1mbf1 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a 2012 Buick Enclave on Jan. 26, 2013. Feb. 15th, 2013 a warning popped up in the DIC stating that the Traction Control system needed servicing and the ABS system was off. The car is sluggish and won’t accelerate correctly. We contacted OnStar reported the problem and had an appointment to bring the car to the service department at Sunrise GMC in Collierville, Tn. They said bring it in the next day which was a Saturday and they would have someone available to look at it. On Saturday I took the car in and 2 ½ hours later was told the person that needs to service it was not there because it was a Saturday. I was offered a rental (which was not an enclave of course) and told they would call me Monday. I can’t believe I can’t make it three weeks without any problems. This is completely unsatisfactory. Now it’s Monday and they tell me they are waiting on two sensors to be replaced and it will possibly be Tuesday when the car is ready. I had to call them at 4:30pm Monday to find this out. I am looking into the Lemon laws for the state of Tn. in order to protect myself. GM needs to get some quality control procedures in place and crack the whip on their dealers. These cars are cost too much to break down this quickly.
    mbf1,

We're sorry you're encountering these troubles on your new Enclave. Let us know if you would like for us to check into anything with your dealership by emailing us at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

I had the same problem and I was told the abs brake warning light was a different issue needing a new brake master cylinder so I had to pay for that repair. My concern is that everyone is also getting the same warning lights which makes be believe it's all related not a separate issue. Just a way to be charged for another repair. I got taken. To top it off the old part went missing, they knew I was about to get a second opinion. Recall needs to happen asap.
    I already sent a email to you before I posted here. It was sent Monday 2/18 with the subject line 2012 Buick Enclave. It has the information you requested.
    I agree. They changed the two sensors and that did not work so now they are replacing a control unit. I will keep everyone posted.