Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Maintenance and Repair

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Please talk about maintaining your Enclave in here.

Comments

• gorphilgorphil Member Posts: 27
    The Enclave has only been available in Canada for about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks. I visited my dealership, in Brampton Ontario, today and am very impressed with the product. However, when I was leaving the dealership I spoke to the parts manager and he informed me that one of the sold units was in to have the transmission replaced. I think I will wait a while before I buy a unit with the new 6 speed transmission. It would be interesting to note if others have come across this situation.
    Gord.
  • jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    That's exactly why I'm waiting a year or two before purchasing. I'm truly impressed with this car, but buying first year can have some huge drawbacks.

Now mind you, this may be a random incident as well, but I just hope this doesn't become widespread and cause a good thing to crash and burn.
  • mfjohnstonmfjohnston Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a Buick Enclave and love it. However within 7 days the check engine light cam eon. A first attempt at the dealer "recalibration" proved short lived and light reappeared within an hour. Further diagnostics revealed the error code pointed to the cam shaft position sensor. They replaced the sensor as the cam shaft was in perfect position. Operationally the engine runs perfectly. That did not resolve the issue. The engine is running perfectly the cam shaft is clearly not out of position. (I believe this engine has variable valve timing). GM told the dealership to check all the wiring which after two more days of labor came back fine. They are not going to try to swap out the computer.

I havent seen any problems like this with this platform (Enclave, outlook or Acadia). My fear is this is something that will be very difficult to find. It's a shame because we like the vehicle very much and operationally everything is fine. We just can find the abberation causing this error code. Hopefully swapping the ECU will resolve the issue. The dealership has been good to us. I suspect they are sensitive because this issue appeared on a new platform only a week after purchase.

Does anyonw know what else could cause the cam shaft position sensor error code besides the sensor itself and erroent cam shaft position?

Any information will be helpfull.
  • carman22carman22 Member Posts: 1
    This may sound too simple, but try a new battery.
  • bernhbernh Member Posts: 7
    I have had my Buick Enclave for about 3 weeks and just rolled 1000 miles. We were on vacation and got into the vehicle and it displayed a message service stable track and the check engine light was on, when we tried to put it in drive the car reved up and didn't want to move, we then shut the car off and started it back up, the stable control message went away but the check engine light was still on. We then called onstar, they ran a diagnostic on the car and told us there was a malfunction in the stable tract control and transmission. This problem occurred on a Saturday which pretty much left us without a car until monday. We called GMC roadside service which took 4 hours of waiting around till they finally picked up the car, after they took the car to the nearest GMC/Buick dealer they then checked the car and said it would have to stay overnight and that it was a sensor problem, The next day we then received a call from the dealership who then said that it wasn't a sensor problem but a problem with the software and was told by GMC that there was not a fix for this problem, we were then told by them to take the car and drive it like this until there is a fix for it and whenever this happens just pull over and restart the car to reset it. I guess this is easy for them to say to get rid of us but you pay 45,0000 for a vehicle pulling over on the side of the road and restarting the car is bulls**t. We then called the GMC customer service who then told us to pick up our car and drive it back to the dealership we purchased it from which is approx. 600 miles away and was told they would fix it. OK, so you mean only certain GMC/Buick service departments can fix this problem. The car still isn't fixed and our next step is taking it to the dealership of purchase hoping this will get resolved soon before GMC has a lawsuit filed against them. Oh and also thanks to this wonderful car everyone is waiting for, it ruined my vacation.

If anyone else has had this problem please respond with your results. To the new Enclave owners and those waiting for their's "BEWARE". :lemon:
  • lwolf99lwolf99 Member Posts: 83
    Hello. Looking for a little help...

I have an Exclave CXL AWD that I purchased in late June. It has the Towing package, with the trailer hitch with the heavy-duty trailer towing provision (I got this option for my bike rack, not because I do any heavy towing).

Here's my problem.... we live towars the top of a fairly steep hill - about 1/2 mile long. As I climb the hill, my RPMs get up to slightly over 5,000 before the transmission finally downshifts, and then RPMs then go down to about 3,000 or 3,500.

I have taken this road home every day for the past several years. My old 2001 Chrysler Town & Country Limited minivan did not do this. I do not know very much about cars or transmissions, but it just "feels" wrong. The engine really seems to be working hard at 5,000 RPM.

Any ideas/comments if 5,000 RPM is okay, or if it is a problem? Any ideas/comments on how to corret this issue? I heard something abotu an upcoming flash update for the transmission for Acadia.

Last note... Otherwise, I really love my Enclave.
  • mfjohnstonmfjohnston Member Posts: 2
    Definitely not that simple. The battery would not cause the e check engine light to reappear after codes reset and would provide a proper error code. The problem was eventually found. It was a sing cam manufactured a few mm out of spec. They had to replace the entire engine as that engine has a fairly complicated variable valve timing system. I
  • acgandhiacgandhi Member Posts: 1
    I guess this is a known issue. The cons for this vehicle on edmunds says that the transmission is hesitant to downshift, basically a mileage optimization. I also read that they have a manual override for this situation. So, maybe you should be using that when you feel its not downshifting automatically.

I like this vehicle just a little cautious in buying now because of this thread. Keep posting about your experience. I am sure if there are a lot of similar troubles noted/posted there would be recalls sent out for updates.
  • dianejdianej Member Posts: 10
    After 10 weeks of happy ownership and 5,000 miles, our Enclave got noisy somewhere north of the drivers' seat. Dealer diagnosed as left front hub, so replaced hub and proclaimed the noise/vibration solved. I picked up the car today. I don't think it's any quieter, and I've gotten 11.7 mpg with the in-town driving I've done since picking it up; far below my usual 15-16 in-town mileage numbers. Any ideas?
  • tencjeddtencjedd Member Posts: 44
    We were experiencing similar problems out of the gate (car slow to downshift), but the owners manual says to wait 500 miles, and sure enough the problem has dramatically improved with near 1k miles on the car.
  • fabercomfabercom Member Posts: 2
    We had the EXACT same problem. They are now telling us the ENTIRE engine must be replaced. Haven't owned an American Car in years. Now I remember why!!!! The first day we had it, it was leaking oil. They fixed that. When the light goes on on-star tells us it is a ignition problem. The dealership has been great about it but we DO NOT want a $45,000 car that needs a new engine!!!!!!! THIS IS A NIGHTMARE
  • fabercomfabercom Member Posts: 2
    I can top that. After driving the car home (20 miles), we awoke the next day to find oil. Brought the car right back and it was diagnosed as a leaking front end differential leak, the area linking the engine to the 4 wheel drive mechanism. four days later, fixed. Then about 300 miles later, the check engine light went on, called on-star and they said it was an ignition problem, occurred 7 other times, but each time we went to bring the car in, the light would go off! The car was getting awful gas mileage. It took us a tank and a half to drive from New Jersey to New Hampshire (light on), but used 3/4 of a tank on the return trip (light off), we averaged the same 46 miles per hour coming and going so it is a serious problem. Now the car is in to get fixed four days now, and they said they asked GM for a new engine, and GM refused! They told my dealership to "fix it", customer service said, "don't worry, the GM factory trained tech will fix it" interesting, but this is the first Enclave they have had to work on due to its limited availability. No disrespect, but basically my car is now a guinea pig for the dealership's techs to work on. I spent $45,000 for a fully loaded vehicle, have 3,000 miles on it, owned it for 2 months and it has had all these very serious problems and GM refuses to stand by its customer....case in point, the dealer ironically has my exact color color, options (except the upgraded rims which I have), I asked them if GM would take my car back, give me the car that is brand new on their lot, and just change the tires, GM refused!!!!!! When my first problem occurred after we drove it home, the dealer said GM authorized to exchange the car, but there were none available (waited 4 months for our ordered car). At this point, since they do not want to "trade" my car with the car on their lot, I am prepared to get as much money back on a trade in, take my loss, my wife and family are in this car every day, do I want to worry whether their car will break down on the rural roads we live around, I think not, goodbye GM.
  • mickicdmickicd Member Posts: 24
    My light has come on 3 times now and service hasn't done anything about it. Have you had yours resolved yet?
    I've been in the shop 3 times and have another appointment on Monday because everytime it rains my Enclave leaks. Now it is rusting inside from it. Also my check engine light has come on 3 times and nothing has been done about that!
    Now it is rusting inside from it

Your car is rusting already? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I find it near IMPOSSIBLE to believe that you could own a car that has been on the market for such a short time, and have rust or corrosion from rain water so quickly. It takes years of exposure, and typically needs some help from a corrosive like road salt to get rust to appear.

Any chance you're a plant from a competing manufacturer trying to trash the Enclave?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Rust can happen fast - just depends on the circumstances. Wet carpet comes to mind immediately as an aggravating factor.

Rate of rust formation
    No, I'm not a plant and I'm not trying to trash Enclaves. All I can say, it is looks like rust. It is under the carpet, behind the rear seats. I love the Enclave...I just don't want a leaky, rusty, mechanically challenged one. I write in these forums to help others. Perhaps the answer is to buy one without the sunroof, or before you sign on the dotted line, check the car you want to buy after it rains. Just trying to help. For me, it is frustrating, because once you sign the sales contract you are pretty much stuck.
  • joehose29joehose29 Member Posts: 8
    check my post in enclaves give us your report section. now i need a new cylinder head!
  • pelllakerpelllaker Member Posts: 5
    My 2008 Buick Enclave went into the dealer's shop on Feb, 08, 2008. Check engine light on. Codes indicated exsesive play in camshafts. Dealer 1/4 inch play being measured by cam sensor. That's a lot of play for a brand new engine. Now he has torn down the engine and needs to replace the head. He can't do the repair however because he can't get a new head gasket for the new head that he has. I've talked to the service manager and with Buick customer service. Both are useless. They only say they have no idea why they can't get a head gasket, they just can't. Thats not customer service, thats stupid. This is 2008 not 1908. Head gaskets ain'y hard to come by these days, unless your a Buick dealer ? So far car has ben down now for 13 days, I won't wait much longer before I turn to legal help in order to get GM off their dead [non-permissible content removed]. The dealers parts supplier says no new gasket until the middle of March, and thats only a guess. Looks like I bought a Buick Enclave and now drive a Kia Sportage from Enterprise. Maybe someone from GM will see this post and investigate why GM or a GM dealer can't get a part like a head gasket in less than 14 to 30 days.I love the car, but if you can't get parts for it, what good is it. I do have a Lemon Law to turn to that might get someones attention. I'm frustrated and disapointed and tired of hearing that no one knows when they might have the parts to fix this. I thought I bought a good car, but got a lousy company in the deal. So far GM sucks big time. :( :sick: :lemon:
  • lakeplacid2lakeplacid2 Member Posts: 1
    My Enclave has been in the shop two weeks now, I was told today that the gasket is being shipped from Mexico and they are having problems with customs I'm driving a HHR from Enterprise
    I agree. I suggest you read your lemon law handbook and start procedures. Start by reporting to the Better Business Bureau online
  • timy1timy1 Member Posts: 3
    Just found out after 1,300 miles (2 weeks) that our NEW Buick Enclave has to have the overhead cam replaced. After the check engine light came on I took it to the dealer who after putting it on the computer told us that the cames were 'walking' and needed to be replaced!!!!!!
    When they ordered the parts we found that they would not be shipped until March 14 (2 1/2 weeks later)!!!!!
    After reading comments I question if it is a cam problem or a sensor problem????? :cry:
  • sligo1sligo1 Member Posts: 1
    At 500 miles our 2008 Enclave flashed this light;
    the sales manager suggested we improperly
    replaced the gas cap. Naively, we turned
    crimson, wondering where we'd ever find
    a gas cap school.

One quick visit righted the condition; within
    24 hours it returned (the service department
    seemed to expect we'd be back.

It's March 23, 2008, they still have the car, and have
    had it longer than we have.

We're asking for a full refund, Subject to confirmation
    by a suit in Detroit they have said yes.

Demoralizing: In quietness and cargo space the
    Enclave for us is perfect. We summer in Maine,
    live in NC.

We will be off to Lexus.

Sligo
  • timy1timy1 Member Posts: 3
    Can you give me more information on how to get the refund?

GM sent the cams, but did not send the necessary wrench to install them!
    I am very concerned about long term performance of the motor, assuming they actually are able to repair it!
  • rmack1rmack1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Buick enclave has been in shop at Koon's Manassas since end of February 2008. Same problem with floating cams. They first told me to tighten gas cap, then checked sensor and replaced it, now it has been in shop for Cam Job to replace heads. I had 6,000 miles on car.

Over the past month the incompetent service tech and dealer has changed there story several times concerning Heads not available, then Gasket not available then head bolts not available.

I would bet that this is a much larger problem than reported since there is a bulletin out concerning this floating head problem.

This is a major disappointment with buick and this dealer.
    Rust can happen fast - just depends on the circumstances.

Come on Steve. New cars don't rust within 30 days of leaving the lot. Particularly so when today's car frames are made from hot dipped galvanized steel.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Soak your carpet for a few weeks and report back. :shades:
  • vcsankarvcsankar Member Posts: 1
    Try this one on. I have owned my Enclave CXL FWD for 3 weeks and have approximately 1300 miles on it. We basically drove it off the lot and took it on a road trip for a week. I have to say that it has performed beautifully. However, a few days after returning home from our trip, I noticed what looked like rust on my undercarriage - specifically the exhaust system/manifold. Yes, rust, after having had the vehicle in my possession for less than two weeks. I climbed under the vehicle to take a closer look. I got my father out to look at it. Both of us believe it is rust. I took it to the dealership and was first told that it was baked on mud...the dealership offered to pressure wash it off, but after 30 minutes of apparently unsuccessful attempts, they have asked me to bring the vehicle in this coming week for an "evaluation"...for which they will need to keep it for one to two days. I also agree that cars just don't rust like this today, but evidence says otherwise. Any tips on how I should handle this before I go in next week? I'll let ya'll know what they tell me. By the way, I asked about a loaner vehicle since I'll be without mine for at least two days. I was told they don't do that. Is that a Buick thing or just this dealership?
  • rosebud58rosebud58 Member Posts: 2
    As previously posted, our 2008 Enclave has been in the dealers shop since February 28th. After receiving the necessary parts to repair the replacement of the head and cam. The second head was also found to be also bad. Latest comment is "don't hold your breath" for when parts will arrive to repair.

We feel GM mis-represented this engine. We were told when we purchased that the running gear and power/engine had been around for a few years. We now learn that this is a new engine and we all are the testers for GM.

It is also interesting that in 37 days of being in the dealers shop, not one phone call from the dealer or GM. All contact has been with us calling or going to visit our new car in parts.

We will be looking at all options to get replacment or take legal action.

Does anyone have experience with use of the lemon law.
    Or, have any success with working up the line with GM. ie: Zone Manager?

Thanks
    rosebud-58@hotmail.com
    4/5/08
  • kugleykugley Member Posts: 5
    Hi Steve,
    I think that's just the dealership you're with. I'm taking mine in tomorrow and they're setting me up with a loaner for the next couple of days. However, the initial reason why my car is going in is for "check engine light" issues. My sensor is being replaced - so not sure if that qualifies for the loaner, vs. the rusting "evaluation."

See my post in the other discussion thread - about "Buick Enclave Owners Give us your report". I have had check engine light issues, as well as undercarriage rusting.
  • cdb5cdb5 Member Posts: 1
    For newly manufactured Enclaves, has Buick solved the floating-head/camshaft problem? Are there other defects that I should be aware of before making my purchase decision?
  • fryrfryr Member Posts: 1
    Your Enclave?Did you forget that it is a fleet vehicle that doesn't even belong to you?You also forget to mention that it took over two weeks to get the cylinder heads! The parts availability is not the dealers problem,it is caused by the manufacturers not having a surplus of parts available due to cost cutting measures that they have to implement because of outdated obsolete UAW ideas that cost GM billions of dollars. wish I could get my employer to pay all of my insurance and retirement. And if any of you with this problem think another manufacturer is better just go into some of the forums for other models and check out some of there problems. They all have the same technologies they just call it something different.
    My car is in Service presently for the check engine light. They are doing something with the camshaft. I'm supposed to pick it up tonight. I will post the outcome later
  • twoffordtwofford Member Posts: 2
    We have had similar problems with the Enclave we bought in June of 07. The check stabilitrack light has come on several times, then service stabilitrack light comes on then goes off and is ok for awhile, then does it again. Has happened several times. The car has 21,000 miles on it . About 3 weeks ago we had to have it towed to the Buick dealer because of a loud knocking noise in the engine compartment that turned out to be serious enough that they are replacing the entire engine. We had the transmission software proogram updated several months ago because of a recall that was put out. The 6 speed transmission has some different shifting patterns than most others. This is supposed to maximize fuel economy according to the service manager. I think this car is so new and "state of the art" that it was put out before all of the bugs were worked out. We have been very pleased with it until this engine failure. We'll see what happens once the new engine goes in.
    The rust that has occured in my Enclave is located in the back cargo area underneth the carpet. I suspect the rust that is located on the bolts back there is caused from a chemical reation from the carpet getting soaked from the rain.
    The dealership did nothing to fix this. They said it must have been caused by humidity and if they fixed it, it would just happen again because it is not the metal you mentioned that doesn't rust.
  • aaplsueaaplsue Member Posts: 37
    Our 2008 enclave is a month old. We had a defective front strut replaced but now I can hear a slight air noise through the steering wheel. The repair tech. does not seem to hear it. I went to a new dealership and checked out a new enclave and it has the same noise but mush less noticable. Is this normal on the enclaves? If you roll up the windows and put your ear up to the steering you may or may not have the same issue. What could this be? Also they have to repair the left signal, it will not click off after turning the steering.
    FYI, my enclave had both front hubs replaced by the local dealer at 5,000 miles. My initial thought was strut , but it was hub. Keep an eye out for that. You deserve to have a quiet ride because that's what you bought!
    I still hear a clunk noise mostly in the morning after I turn the car I can hear a clunk under the front of the car. The dealer claims it normal, it's the power steering. Not sure what to think. The car is a month old.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    If it does it at roughly 7 MPH and 20 MPH it is the ABS self test and it is normal. They all do it to some degree or another.
    Thank you for the reply,very helpful! It does exactly do that clank between 7-20mph the service dept. did say it was normal thought it was the power steering and I was still unsure. The GMC acadia blog, a few people complained of the same issue.
  • saamwilsonsaamwilson Member Posts: 3
    Since I drove off the lot 1/31/08 I have had a rattle in the front end. I have taken it in to 2 dealerships a total of 4 times. Parts have been replaced and now its been 7+weeks waiting for new struts. I love the car but can't stand the rattle!!!!! Anyone else with the rattle/thumping noise. The first dealer actually told me to just turn up the radio...
    Yes, I have been back to the dealer several times waiting for parts. Twice the dealer was sent the wrong parts from GM. The dealer ordered the new parts but got parts that were similar, the coding was not updated yet from GM I was told. Not sure why. The front left strut was defective but they replaced both front struts and springs. I still get a knock after I make a turn but not a rattle. I was told this is normal from the power steering/brakes. I did notice a new sound coming from the steering wheel, sounds like air noise now, Dealer seems clueless on this issue. I did contact buick to give them the list of small repairs that the car needed since I drove off the lot. its good to do that so they can keep track and issue a recall if necessary. I still love the car and hope it lives up to it's rave.....
    My rattle began 8 weeks into ownership. Dealer replaced both front hubs. Problem seems to be solved.
    Does anyone hear a clunk noise from the abs self check. My new enclave makes the noise everytime I first drive the car. I test drove a new enclave and I did not here that clunk. Just wanted to know if it's only on some cars or all. The dealer told me this was normal noted from GM. Other customers had the same complaint and was told the same thing. I thought this was suppose to be a quiet ride.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    All do it to a certain extent. Either some do it louder than others or some of us owners are more sensitive. I don't know which.

There is a TSB out addressing the issue which supposedly lessens or eliminates the sound.

And it is a quiet ride. ;)
    I do hear this noise each time I start my car. It's not real loud but I do notice it. I will say that I had an 02 Expedition and the ABS went and I had to replace it. After I replaced the ABS I heard this same noise when I would first start the Expedition. I'm not sure if its normal but I do hear the noise too.
    I take my car in Tuesday for the new parts I have been waiting for. If the rattle is still there I will ask about the front hubs. Thanks for the heads up!
    Driving on the freeway or anytime I switch lanes I have to manually turn the signal off. When I make a turn it will shut off on it's own. Does this sound about right or is there something wrong with it?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That sounds normal. The steering wheel has to be turned through some minimum angle in order to "arm" the mechanism that will deactivate the turn signal when the steering wheel is returned to its neutral position. A safe lane change on the highway requires a fairly small rotation of the steering wheel.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kugleykugley Member Posts: 5
    I had the ABS self check clunk noise. I noticed it every time I first took the car out - it would happen between 15-20 mph. When I took it back in again (for the 2nd round of check engine light issues), the service manager stated that GM had a bulletin out about the ABS self checking noise. It is my understanding that he uploaded a software patch to the vehicle's computer & that was to fix the ABS from checking itself too much. I will be requesting a copy of the bulletin when I pick my car up...but it might be a while before I have the bulletin number to share, as they are now (after first replacing the sensor) having to replace the cylinder head in the engine - and - my cams are off about 1/8th-1/4" off. I can't even express how frustrating & disappointing this Enclave experience has been - and it just seems to go on and on.