Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• aaplsueaaplsue Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the info, I would be interested to hear the outcome of your experience with the software update. Sometimes when I back up the car even after driving for a while I can hear a crack/clunk noise. not sure if that is related to abs noise.
    Good luck and keep us posted if you can.
  • papadick58papadick58 Member Posts: 7
    My 6 month old Enclave would not start and in fact would not allow me to remove the ignition key. AAA came and said battery was drained and jumped started the car. Took it to the dealer and they check the battery & alternator and said all was fine - but I am curious as to how it happened. The only thing that I know that occurred was the Onstar diagnostic check was performed - any thoughts.
    Also had a leaky sunroof that Dealer said was due to gutters being to short - they ordered the parts and replaced them one week later. Seems to have solved that problem.
  • orange1924orange1924 Member Posts: 5
    My wife's Enclave went dead a few months ago. I couldn't get the key out either. I charged up the battery, took it to the dealer and was told they couldn't find anything wrong. I'm sure there are others with the same problem.
    Took the car out of the garage. Turned it off to get something from the house. Started the car up again for a two hour trip only have the driver side heater stay on HOT all the way. Passenger side was temperature controllable but nothing worked from the drivers side except having the window down. Been working fine since the return trip home. Anybody else having had this problem?
    I talked to Onstar yesterday concerning the Diagnostic check. The Onstar consultant told me that they were trained to only do the diagnostics when the car was running. They transferred me to a "technician" and i must say that the test at the end of October was performed when the car was OFF. I asked them to cancel the automatic monthly diagnostic tests. Do yo have the tests performed??
    I've since canceled my OnStar service. I took the car to the dealer but they just put their hands up and said they don't see a problem. Of course, every time your battery dies you lose 15% of it's life but I guess that's my loss.
  • chevrunchevrun Member Posts: 6
    When I went out to start My Enclave this morning Batt was completely Dead....Nothing . I also was unable to remove the Key. Called Buick and they said they will send someone out to tow the car in , tomorrow morning. The Buick Person told me that the car needs to be driven every few days to keep the battery charged up. We had NOT driven the car for at lest 6 days...Is there any truth to this?
  • MaxyboyMaxyboy Member Posts: 1
    I went out to start my Enclave this afternoon and it was basically dead also; just some clicking noises in the doors... like the last gasps of the battery trying to run a motor (power windows???). I couldn't get my key out of the ignition either. I hadn't driven my car for about a week either.
    Great....Now when I go on a trip or as recently I went into the hospital....I have to hire someone to come in and feed the bird and excercise the Dog. Now I have to find someone to come in and excercise my Buick. I can't beleve that the Buick has so much stuff running in there that the battery won't stay up any longer than a week.
    My wife's Enclave didn't wait a week. It died overnight. Buick said they couldn't find a problem.
    I just posted a complaint re the dead battery on the following website:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
    If enough are filed we may get attention from GM...or a recall...
  • VennelaVennela Member Posts: 1
    I was so excited that we bought the Buick Enclave but is it now 3 days and the car is dead won't start we drove it last evening

Can we return the car? I am not sure after spending 60 K it is worth taking this nonsense.

Any suggestions? :sick:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Can we return the car?

I would think that the first order of business is to find out why the car won't start.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • famouspainterfamouspainter Member Posts: 4
    I got my new Enclave 2 weeks ago-CXL AWD with ent. pkg 4 and all other goodies. I love it! I traded in a BMW X5 and I think it's the best thing I ever did. I have a little over 1000 miles on it so far and have run into several minor annoyances and wonder if anyone else has these items. I'm old so maybe I haven't learned all there is to know about the car yet.

Is there a way to set the radio on/off so it doesn't always come on when you start the car? Mine always comes on and the only way I can turn it off (without turning off the Navigation Screen) is to hit the right hand button on the steering wheel.

The Nav system works great when I set a destination with the buttons. However, the manual gives all sorts of commands for the audio and the nav that can be given with voice commands. I can't get any of the voice commands to work-I get a voice back that says the command isn't available or that it didn't hear anything I said. I do use the button that you hold for 2 seconds until you get a beep (very soft) and then say the command.

Any help will be appreciated.

I read some of the messages on this forum about dead batteries after a week or sometimes less. I noticed on my Enclave that the power ports are always on-even with the ignition off and the key removed. My previous cars had the power ports go off when you took the key out. I keep my cell phone charger plugged in and am wondering if it takes enough power to run down the battery? I wouldn't think that it would but--who knows??

Thanks to you all.
    This battery thing is certainly not an isolated problem - noted by the number of postings here. I have no idea what causes it but it concerns me - hence my reporting the problem to the Government - see post #62 for website. I have taken to running my car everyday - even if I have no where to go. Thankfully the price of gas has gone down.
    For the radio - On/Off - there is a volume control button on the dashboard - upper left of the face of the display - push the button - it should shut off the radio as well as the entire display. I know not how to shut off radio while using the GPS.
  • gungagunga Member Posts: 16
    For the Radio On/Off. I don't think there is a manufacture foreign or domestic that
    physically turns off the radio with the ignition. The power is turned off, but it comes back on as soon as you start the car.

All cars do the same thing
  • lingohockenlingohocken Member Posts: 1
    There's a PCM flash to resolve this issue, now known by GM. Scroll down to bottom of first page at link title
    I can't live with a car that has to be driven every few days to keep the battery charged up. They have some Trickle Chargers that just plug into your cigarett lighter socket. Would this be a simple solution to this battery problem. And or would it cause damage to some of that High Tech stuff that none of us seem to understand.
  • kcoreykcorey Member Posts: 130
    Well, I've owned my Enclave for almost a year and a half, with 15,000 miles on it, and have never had any problems. I have let it "sit" without running for over 3 weeks when we went on vacation several times this past year, and it started-up immediately when we returned. If I were in your predicament, I would check that nothing is plugged in to any of the outlets (below the center console, behind the center console, dash outlet, and by the rear hatch). DVD players, cell phones, portable NAV units, battery chargers, etc., have a tremendous draw on the battery...even if their not being "used". If nothing is plugged in, or any exterior lights are on, then bring it in to your Buick dealer. It's just possible that your battery or alternator is defective, or you have a poor connection somewhere. Remember, it's just a machine, and all machines can have some problem. Good luck with your 'clave.
    A Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) is
    incorporated into the design of the Buick
    Enclave. This unit monitors the battery
    and charging system in the vehicle and
    is capable of providing a 0.4mpg fuel
    economy savings per vehicle. This equates
    to over 3.34 million gallons of gasoline that
    can be saved over the life of one model
    year of production.
    These features apply only to the 2008 Buick Enclave.
    Visit us at:www.gmability.com
    to learn more about GM’s products,
    plants and partnerships.
    The Regulated Voltage Control unit will not allow the battery to be charged up when making short, slow speed trips around town. The way around this so-called milage improvement function is to turn on the TOW/HAUL function which bypasses the milage saving thing and allows more juice to flow into the battery. According to my little book using the Tow/Haul function when not towing will do no harm..It only tightens up the transmission bands and increases the battery charging function to make up for any additional battery needs that may result from the towing. Hopefully those of us that use our Enclaves around town will benifit from this function, even if we do lose some of the milage advantage. Anything is better than having to jump start your car every week.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    This is not one of GM's better ideas. If you use your Enclave in city driving most of the time be prepared for the battery to go flat. How many people know about driving in the TOW/HAUL MODE to overcome the problem? I wonder how many dealers know about this fix? Not many, I'll bet.
  • gungagunga Member Posts: 16
    How do you go into Tow/Haul Mode ?
    On the Enclave you have a button on the lower part of your center dash area.. With a little picture of a trailer. You press it to get into the Tow/Haul mode. When in the Tow/Haul Mode you will get a light on the dash which shows the little trailer. To get out you just press the button again. The car will leave the Tow/Haul mode every time you turn off the car.
  • budibudi Member Posts: 41
    That is only if the the OP has the factory tow package. From what i read the tow/haul mode locks out 6th gear. I drive mostly around time and very short distances. I have had my enclave since august of 2007 and have less than 9k miles with no evidence of battery or voltage problems.
    I can't get the car to start up with the remote start up button, it has worked only once since I bought the car. Anyone else with this issue?
    Are you pressing the "LOCK" button on the remote before hitting the remote start button. That is a must for this to work. Mine has worked just fine..
    I did press the lock button first. I'm wondering if they need to reprogram the remotes. I have 2.
    About the remote engine start not working, I wonder if it's because I have child locks on. I have to hit unlock 2 times to open doors,
  • yankeebelle1yankeebelle1 Member Posts: 8
    Have you tried setting it to another option such as CD or AUX while nav is running, or just turn the volume down ?
    Mine is touchy to start from remote, will try getting replacement batteries for the fobs next.
    I hit lock. Then have to push and hold the remote start button for about 30 seconds before it starts and the button has to be held just right. (Works better on the bottom part of the button than the center). If you have big fingers, good luck!

Then to unlock press once for driver, twice for other doors. Child locks do not affect the "unlock" feature.
    I have an 09 CXL and it recently began to rattle too, almost squeaky like an old farm truck. Will be taking it in soon, let us know how your fix went. Saw the reference to the hub too, I'm thinking strut sounds like it since it is only over the bumps.
    But I didn't buy one of the quietest cars on the road to hear creaking.

Otherwise totally in love with the car, only miss my heated steering wheel.
    On the turn signal the Enclave has 3 settings:
    Flash signal (1 quick blink)
    Lane changer (flashes 3-4 times)
    and Turning (clicks into place and wheel has to turn to stop it or you flip it back manually)
    For the flash signal push up/down and release.
    For the lane changer push up/down and hold for about 2 seconds.
    For the turning signal you push til it clicks and it stays on til you either turn the wheel or manually push it off.

Hope that helps.
  • cjb2486cjb2486 Member Posts: 26
    My Enclave is now 3 years old and the only way I can get the highbeams to flash is to have the headlights already on. I may be confusing my cars, but I could swear that when my Enclave was new, I could flash the highbeams without the headlights on. Can someone please confirm that their Enclave also needs the headlights already on?

Many thanks.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I THINK you are confused. With the Enclave's HID headlights I do not think you were ever able to flash the brights without the headlights being on.

My $0.02.
  • gham1945gham1945 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Buick Enclave that has 26000 miles. About two months ago (24000 miles) the battery started dieing after 36 hours of no driving. Jumped it and took it to dealer -- could not find a problem. Dealer told me not to jump it if it happened again, but haul it in, which occurred about a week later. Could not find problem this time either, but replaced battery. Dealer told me that some of the electronic modules may wake up if the keys are left inside the vehicle (switch not on) and to never leave keys in car (seems silly to me). They also told me that On Star wakes some of the modules for its diagnostic tests and that these electronics may not be going back to sleep -- another strange phenomenon. Problem continues to occur, a total of 7 times within the past 2 months. If the car is not driven at least every other day, the battery dies. Remember, this is a new battery. Dealer is stilled dumbfounded. :shades:
    They replaced the turn signal in 08, the left blinker is now blinking extremely fast, the day I took it in it behaved, now it happens every time I want to turn left.
    Could this have anything to do with the replacement? electrical?
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Typically a really fast turn signal is an indication that the bulb is burned out.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    aaplsue,
    If this is not indicating that the bulb is out, I would definitely recommend taking it into your dealer of choice. If you need any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Thank you! I will take it in...
    Please feel free to keep us update by email with any new developments regarding the fix. We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  • someoldmansomeoldman Member Posts: 1
    I was ready to go buy a new battery until I read this post.

I have a 2009 that just started doing this.
    Does anyone know if this is indeed an electrical problem that needs to be resolved or is it just a 2 year old battery is bad...
    someoldman,

I would encourage you to take your vehicle into your local GM dealership to be diagnosed. Please keep us posted on any information.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • cmesouccmesouc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Buick Enclave purchased new at local dealer and the seat moves when stopping or starting. Dealer denies any problem, GM won't help. looking for others with similar problem to help find resolution from GM and selling dealer.

I have been back to the selling dealer 4 times, of which 3 they attempted to "fix" this issue, however they maintain that they dont feel the movement. Any other person driving for more than 5 minutes always feel it move. Field service rep reviewed and drove (so I was told) this vehicle and said he doesnt feel it move, but authorized replacment parts in track of seat. No one representing GM has driven after last pick up at dealer, reported it sill moves, they are not interested. GM headquarters has entered the picture, but is soley going on info from dealer and field rep only...

Had independent service center pull seat out, found problem (nylon bushing and hole in seat frame) and notified GM - sent pictures and summary evaluation, who notified dealer...no one is interested is acknowledging this as a problem - at GM or selling dealer.

I took think it is a safety issue. The NHTSA would like to help but dont have enough (or any) complaints YET on this specific issue. Also reported to Illinois Consumer Protection Agency States Attorney's office who is now looking into this complaint. Very frustrating to spend this kind of money, bought American Made only to support our workers (had no problems with my MDX) and have them all say...tough luck!
  • niniloaniniloa Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I have a 2008 Buick Enclave its sad and I am not happy. This vehicle have been giving me problem after problem. I have it appears the same problems listed by others, from new transmission, power stearing noise.. and now the leaking of engine oil. I have taken my vehicle into the dealership again! were a dye has been placed inside to locate the leak. The cost of repairs currently is unknwon, it being GM the cost could be in the thousands.

Question, should I let go and just let the vehicle die leaving it sitting on the street?

Reading each of your past and current posts lets me know I am not the only living this nightmare!! :cry:
  • senior7senior7 Member Posts: 1
    My problem is not as serious as others posted in this forum but it does bother me. I have a 2011 Enclave with 7,000 miles on it. My problem is my car idles at 2 RPMs--600 and 800. At 600 there is no noise when the a/c is on (only normal duct noise) --however, if the engine idles at 800 RPMs I get a resonating noise--like a boom box base. I have had it in for service twice and have now been told that this is normal. Has anyone had this problem? I love the Enclave but probably will go back to Lexus if I cannot resolve this problem.
    niniloa,

I apologize for the problems you have experienced with your vehicle. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    senior7,

I would encourage you to get a second opinion from another GM dealership. Please keep us posted!

Thank you,
  • bucksmombucksmom Member Posts: 1
    The right turn signal is blinking faster than the left. The front and mirror lamps are blinking, but the rear is not. I checked the rear lamp. It is not burned out. Is the issue related to the switch? If so, where is the switch?