Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Owners Give Us Your Report

Comments

• sgmmsgmm Member Posts: 1
    We are looking for a 7 seats crossover. We really LOVED Enclave after looking at one. But after doing some research on the internet, we found that it seems Enclave has been having transmission, leaking, and visibility problems.

Now we are really concerned. We don't know how bad these problems are and shall we still buy?? Your input is appreciated.
  • chumsterchumster Member Posts: 3
    You should drive it to check visibilty and see if transmission is to your liking.
    It is a matter of personal prefernce, but there are no mechanical problem with these two. Transmission can be reprogrammed to improve the shifting. Otherwise it makes you drive like a typical Buick driver:)

Leaks are a whole different problem. Some cars are affected, some not. There was a recall for some of them.
  • kcoreykcorey Member Posts: 130
    100% right...you should drive any car before buying it! Now, first , the transmission: We have 13,000 miles on our Enclave CXL...never had the transmission "reflashed"...it drives fine for us...no shifting problems, etc. It's been GM serviced (Buick, GMC dealer) and no problems. Leaks, as I understand them, are from the sunroof...and onlly affect certain VIN numbers. We don't have a sunroof (and don't like them anyway) so we don't have any leaks! Visibility problems? Hey, it's not a Toyota Celica. If you can't handle a big car, then definately don't buy it. We have no problem with visibility and we live in New York City...plenty of traffic and pedestrians.
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    The transmission problems you are refering to are the 07-08 versions of this vehicle. With the new engine these problems have disappeared on the 09s according to the 09 owners. I have driven the 09 myslef and I can attest to the silky smoothness of the shifting points. No unusual behavior that I noticed from this at all. Remember - it is a six speed trans for heaven sake. It is GOING to shift - that is what it does.

Leaking, as others have said is from the sunroof, and affects certain VIN numbers. Worried about this - pass on the sunroof - I'm going to do this anyhow as I don't care for the sunroof execution. Problem solved - no leaks have been reported from vehicles without the sunroofs.

Visibility - yeah, I can see how this might bug you. It is a small view port out the back, no doubt. The optional backup sensors and camera go a LONG way to addressing this. The sensors and the camera make this vehicle a LOT safer to back up than my 05 Highlander without those safeguards. I think you get used to this - but as others have said - if a big vehcile is a problem for you - this is not your sled.

In truth it is the most AMAZINGLY quiet vehicle I have ever driven and it offers real value in it's segment.
  • nurseplancknurseplanck Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Buick Enclave in March, 2008. I have had nothing but problems with it! First, my rear air wasn't working. They said it was low on freon. Then, I had oil (or what looked to be oil) on my driveway. They said that there was an inch of oil built up on the skid plate and that was why it had leaked on the driveway. I made the dealership come and clean my driveway! Two days later though I had spots on my driveway again. This time, they said it was a transmission leak. We drove on a long trip going 70 on cruise most of the way. The best gas mileage that we ever got was 20.5. A far cry from there estimated mileage! We are averaging 15.5 mpg in the city. The next issue was that the rear air stopped working again! They said that the issue was a needed reprogram this time. A week later, my car died in my driveway while warming up. It ran long enough to defrost the windshield however. On the same day, I lost traction on the road four times! My traction control never kicked in! At this point, I'm driving a rental as I feel my Enclave is unsafe to drive. Oddly enough they put me in an Acadia which seems to have problems shifting. I am waiting to see if GM will buy back my Enclave as a lemon! I tell everyone I know to not buy an Enclave and to not buy from Andy Mohr. This has truly been a nightmare!
  • tinyelvistinyelvis Member Posts: 7
    Yup, you got a lemon alright. I'd demand a new one.

My Enclave has 28,000 miles on it in just under 15 months. My ownership experience has been stress-free. No leaks. No drips. No squeaks. All the bells and whistles work like they are supposed to, and I have every option available on my CXL. I did have the rear hatch switch bite the dust, but it was replaced in less than 25 minutes. The dealer offered me a loaner car if I didn't want to wait!

The car rides smoother than a limo. It's quieter on the inside than all but the most expensive luxury automobiles. The transmission is geared for maximum mileage. On the highway driving at 4-6 mph over the posted speed limit, I routinely pull down 25 and 26 MPG's in my 2-hour round trip to see mom. If I can stretch 520 miles out of 21 gallons of gas in a 5000 lb vehicle, call me granny.

Remember if you are a prosepctive buyer, ALL CARS HAVE LEMONS that roll off the assembley line. That's what lemon laws are for. Be aggressive!

With this recent downturn in the economy, I have the opportunity to trade in my Enclave and buy anything in the $45-$55,000 bracket. There just isn't a car out there that can match the luxurious interior amenities, quiet and supple ride, huge storage, unbeatable gas mileage and seating for 7 like my Enclave. I've spent hours on Edmunds.com researching the competition and they all fall short. Mercedes R class? Comparably equipped it's $12 grand more, and don't forget Mercedes famous $250 oil changes. Audi Q7? Also at least $10 grand more, and who wants to pay for premium unleaded when gas goes back up to $4.00 a gallon? I even looked at BMW, Audi, VW and Mercedes station wagons, but they only seat 5. You want to tell one of my kids which one can't bring a friend?

If you are in the market for a 7 or 8 passenger car and can't justify the huge engine and poor mileage of large SUV's, you owe it to yourself to drive an Enclave.
  • evanobevanob Member Posts: 7
    We had the "wiper fluid heater fuse" recall work completed 2 weeks ago, but just yesterday our battery was completely dead and required recharging :sick: . Could the defect have damaged the battery? Did the recall work affect the battery? Our 2008 Enclave was purchased in November 2007.
    Just a thought...the "cigarette lighter" outlets are always active, that is, they don't go off when the ignition is off. So, if you have something plugged in...nav unit, battery charger, DVD player, etc.,...it will always be on, thus running the battery down. The same is true for the 110 volt outlet. Remember, there are 4 "cigarette" outlets.
    Checked that, but nothing was plugged in. The car is supposed to have an advanced power management system to prevent just this problem and to extend battery life. If you leave a courtesy light on it will turn off. The system also will adjust energy management while the car is running and even make the car idle faster to recharge the battery according to the manual, which makes our problem all the more perplexing.
    Does your car have NAV?

There is a TSB for Enclave's that have the Delphi NAV units where the power to those is left running and drains the battery. The software update solves the problem for everyone I have heard of with this problem.
    Thanks. I will look for that TSB. I do have the NAV system.
    You're welcome.

Your dealer should be able to look it up for you too. I've heard of plenty of people having this update applied.
    Wow. 18 months of ownership and 34,000 miles. This vehicle never ceases to impress me.

The good: It still rides like a dream. All the bells and whistles work. There are no signs of wear, even on the leather seats (ok, the unlock symbol on the key fob is wearing off). Had it in this week for the 30k service, there is still 5mm of brake pad all around. No squeakes, rattles, hisses or other intrusions. I think it's broken-in. I think it's very well built.

TIP: Have your tires inflated with nitrogen. Mine were when I bought the car, and it appears I have at least half the tread left.

The bad: Warranty work has been limited to reflashing the tranny, replacing the rear-hatch door switch, and a faulty outside temperature sensor. I had a piece of industrial foam rubber inserted under the front seat cushions to correct the seating angle. My only complaint is when I went to get snow tires this year (I'm FWD), there were two manufacturers who made this size, and both were sold out for the season. :cry:

T-T-T-That's All, Folks! :shades:

I bought a touch-up paint bottle from the dealer for $12 to hide a couple of nice scratches I've acquired on the hood.

I'd like to see some type of brush-like material to protect the floor seat channels from filling up with kid debris.

Boy do I not miss the Toyota Sequoia! :P
    The advamced power management system does turn off all interior lights automatically, but...it does not disconnect power from the power outlets, that is, the 4 "cigarette lighter" outlets and the 110 volt outlet.
  • wehave2wehave2 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I bought 2 Enclaves in March 2009. We took his (on Easter Break from NY to SC (at the time we left he had a little over 1,000 miles on it). It ran like a charm there and back - 1st day back to work it would not start dead battery, to make a long story short it went back to dealer 3 times in 1 week and half for same problem - they found loose ground connection underneath an air filter. We have had no problems since then.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a finance magazine is looking to speak to consumers who are owners of a Buick Enclave. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, June 16, 2009.
  • xiaoruixiaorui Member Posts: 5
    I forgot to wash the underbody afer this winter. It is only 9 months old and I found a lot of rusts on the exhaust pipes. Is it too later to wash the underbody? Thanks
  • busguy1busguy1 Member Posts: 1
    We are in the process of purchasing a new CXL2 FWD with all the bells & whistles. Yesterday we found out the 2010 model has only a 4 way power front passenger seat available. (the 2008-9 has a six way) This is a deal breaker as my wife due to back & leg issues needs the up/down feature! We love the vehicle but are on hold until we can resolve this. Is there a retro company who could install the six/eight way feature into the vehicle that you are aware of?
    thanks
    I don't know about the 2009's but the 2008 did not have a 6 way passenger seat, only 4 way...forward, backward, rear of seat reclines and goes straight-up. The drivers' seat is 8 way..it raises and lowers.
    My Big Red CXL is nearing it's 3rd birthday and is a day away from 69k.

GM, call me to do ads for the Enclave. This vehicle still rides as smoothly as the day I drove it off the lot. Brakes perfectly straight. Accelerates just right. No rattles, hums, or other annoyances.

Everything still works. All the bells ring and the whistles are loud and clear. Towed a big 12' enclosed UHaul from OH to FL...had to keep reminding myself the vehicle in my mirror was not tailgating! A super-nice touch: when in trailer mode, the usual three-blink lane change function increases to six blinks.

Hardly any sign of wear on the leather seats. The paint shines brightly. Even the exhaust tips haven't discolored.

Aside from regular maintenance, I did elect to have the tranny fluid and coolant replaced at 65k. Maintenance-wise......that's all, folks!

Since life is not perfect, my only beef is how GM is handling the heated washer systems. They are simply disconnecting the heaters and offering customers $100. SHAME on you GM. I have elected to keep the system connected. I love it.
    You can't find an engineer who can fix the problem?

My dealership experience has been so-so. I'm on my third, I like them and hope they will be my long-term go-to dealer.

If I had to summarize my three years of ownership, I am completely satisfied. My vehicle was one of the first off the production line, and it is very well built. thank you, Mr. Lutz.
  • fatty94fatty94 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and i purchased a used 2008 enclave Nov 2010. Our first problem was the nav radio head. Buy the time i got it in the shop the problem went away. June i took it in for a dvd stuck inside, a/c not working, seat movement and a leak underneath (oil). It took my dealership three weeks to repair. They replaced the transfer case, nav radio with a rebuilt one and a A/c hose. They wanted to replace the seat base at a price of $500. I choose not to do. After getting home in which it rode ruff, i had to finish repairs my self. Nov 2011 took the car back for engine oil leak and P/s rack leak. they also found a strut leaking. One week later they finally pulled engine apart to order more parts. Three more weeks in the shop. I did have the spark plugs replaced. 2.8 hrs with engine in car, 1/2 hour out. Got the car back rode ruff, leaks oil still, drifts to the right and now the transmission shifts bad. When the car works its fun to drive and meets my family needs. the shop in Pullman WA sucks and the worst GM car i have ever owned.
  • presspress Member Posts: 17
    My 2008 Enclave was totalled Saturday. My daughter and six classmates were broadsided by a large SUV. When we got to the scene, we expected the worse. The drivers side and front end were hit badly. When I saw that all seven girls were unharmed, I was amazed. The Enclave interior was fully intact. All 10 airbags deployed. The officer at the scene said " a different car, a different outcome". We loved our Enclave, over 70k and no problems. I hear so many complaints about this car on this forum, but I just wanted to say this was the best car we ever owned. Well engineered and designed. My other cars are BMW's and we demand alot from our cars. The Enclave was no exception. After seeing how this car held up, we are in the market for another one. Now if I could only afford a new one.
    If anyone still reads this forum, you'll know I've posted several times over the years extolling the virtues of my '08 CXL. In 50 months of ownership, I have plastered 107,000 miles on the odometer, so I feel well-qualified to address Enclave longevity issues.

Safety: the above post is one of the main reasons I have an Enclave. An acquaintance of ours bought one several years ago and was head-on'd on the highway. They lived to tell the story. They went right back to the Buick store for a new one.

Comfort: Everything still works perfectly. The seats are barely showing signs of aging. Six Florida-Ohio runs of 2700 miles each in the past 18 months have been a pleasure...I'm not sure kids today can truly appreciate the DVD system. I was tinkering with getting a conversion van for these frequent escapes, but why? A folded piece of paper under the clock eliminates an intermittent dash squeak.

Reliability: I've had two major problems, both covered under warranty. At 76k the transmission gave up the ghost. A reverse pawl (?) snapped. My Buick dealer was thrilled to do the work as they hadn't had to open one up yet. I received a completely new tranny, not a rebuilt one. At 88k, a loud rubbing/echoing sound emanated from a wheel well. The entire hub assembly was replaced, warrantied as part of the drive train! Thanks, GM! My windshield is showing signs of needing to be replaced as there are many teeny-tiny chips from all the high-speed highway driving. Gas mileage is holding strong. I can still eke out 26mpg is if stay within 3-4 mph of the speed limit and moderate the gas pedal carefully.

Dealership Experience: I'm on my third dealer, and they are a gem. The service adviser knows me by name, explains everything in great detail, and has really earned my business. My purchasing dealer and closest, local dealer both have worthless service departments.

I'm on my third set of tires: two Michelin OEM's then a set of Goodyears. I'm from Akron, Ohio so it is hard for me to buy a non- Goodyear/Firestone/Goodrich tire. The Goodyears are a little noisier than the Mich's, but the Goodyears were $60 less PER TIRE. Coscto does tires and balancing really, really well.

The paint still looks showroom new. The carpet and leather seats show so little wear that people ask me if my car is new. I take good care of her inside and out: cleaning the carpets twice a year; applying leather conditioner 3 or 4 times a year, and waxing every 4 months.

I can honestly say there is no better car out there in the same price range.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Outstanding! I'm so glad that your Enclave has been serving you well! Many more happy miles!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bewellbewell Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at 2011 or 2012 Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse and GMC Acadia. Want 7 passenger seating and leather interior. Probably purchasing due to currently low finance rates.

We were leaning toward Traverse versus Enclave for $10K savings but edmunds.com posts say -Traverse/Acadia have serious mechanical problems. Appears Buick has fewer problems.

We need a reliable vehicle within reasonable price range. Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!
  • zeester1zeester1 Member Posts: 1
    Have you driven these vehicles? I went through the same selective process with them, plus the GMC Terrain. The 2011 Buick Enclave won hands down!!! Interior size, ride, comfort, bells and whistles, quality, looks, 2 sunroofs, sound system, and on and on. I bought the 2011 CXL2 AWD new in June. Love it and have no real complaints. I sell real estate. Got the 2 bucket seats 2nd row with NO console. I find it much easier to get into the 3rd row seats without the console - even tall, or big, adults can easily get there. Third row has its own AC/heat vents and a cig outlet behind the seat. With the 2nd and 3rd row seats down the cargo space is unbelievable. Very roomy with just the 3rd row down, too. There is also a handy, roomy storage compartment in the floor behind the 3rd row seats. In my shopping for a vehicle, I kept avoiding the Enclave because of price. Drove it last. Never looked back.

By the way, I bought with no nav system because I love my Garmin. Back-up camera is in the rear view mirror - much better place for it if you ask me. And, no DVD player, no step assist (the latter totally not necessary). Dropping these extras, and the console, helped a great deal on price and I do not miss these items at all. I live where there is lots of snow. Most people do not need the AWD.

My biggest complaint is the location of the driver side, side view mirror. Creates a terrible blind spot - getting use to it and take a much better look when I am turning the corner. Makes it difficult to find the pavement and PEDESTRIANS crossing! Really can't think of another negative!

Well worth the money.
    It's a relief to hear that everybody was okay after the accident and am pleased that you enjoyed your Enclave so much. Have you been able to find a replacement since your last post? If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • presspress Member Posts: 17
    I always thought the Enclave was a well engineered and built auto. Even more so following the accident. We are looking to find another Enclave exactly like the last one, but no luck. If you can be of any assistance that would be greatly appreciated. We were hoping to find a 2011 out of existing inventory.

Press
  • bigbaddavebigbaddave Member Posts: 1
    The leather-equipped Traverse looks just awful inside. It had been top of my list but when I sat down and saw the cheap nasty hard plastic everywhere, and the frankly bizarre bi-coloured leather steering wheel, I decided to go for the Enclave instead.
  • mech007mech007 Member Posts: 1
    Like many my wife only had one complaint about our 2010 Enclave, that was the passenger seat that she normally sits in. It was very uncomfortable for her on long rides. Well this year she will be a happy rider with her new 8-way adjustable seat. I ordered the drivers side 8-way mechanism & the 8-way switch from GM and installed it on the passenger side. All holes line up for the plastic trim (some will need to be tapped with threads). It works and looks just like the drivers side. It is a little pricey, but it was worth it for a happy wife, plus I get to drive now. Those of you who have abilities to tackle such a job I would be happy to give you more information or if you live in central Indiana I am available for a fee. It would take about two days to complete.
  • mnenclavemnenclave Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a GM certified 2008 Enclave CXL with 48,000 miles in January of 2010 . My wife and I were looking for the in-between alternative to another minivan or a Suburban. With four kids, the enclave seemed to be the answer. I have always purchased two year old - certified cars and have had very good luck. Unfortunately, this has not been the case with the Enclave.
    Where do I begin? Lets start with the worst...leaking roof (the fixed skylight not the moonroof). Since I bought the car in January (Minnesota), the roof leaking did not become visible until it began to rain in early April. To make a very long story short, I took the car back to the dealer FIVE TIMES! Each time they told me it was fixed and it wasn't. I eventually had to call GM corporate customer service and open a case. After much arguing, I was able to get a letter of warranty from GM stating that they would fix any issue with the sunroof leaking up to 100,000 miles. I have not seen any leaking after they had the car in the shop for the fifth time. I spoke directly to the person working on the car and his conclusion was that the problem was a poor design.
    A few weeks after having the car, I pushed the button to open the lift gate. The entire button assembly fell out into my hand. I had to take the car back to the dealer to get it replaced, While at the shop, they told me the transfer case seal was leaking so they replaced this as well. Both were covered by the 12 month warranty.
    In the middle of the summer (6 months after purchasing the car) the air conditioning went out during an eight hour trip from Chicago to Minneapolis. Of course it was in the mid 90's and I had the entire family in the car. This time the dealer said they could not find any leaks in the system and that the system needed to be recharged. I had previously owned a 1999 Chevy blazer for nearly 10 years and never had to recharge the A/C system.
    Shortly ofter the A/C problem, I began to experience a severe vibration while braking at highway speeds. The front brake rotors had warped and needed to be replaced. At this time I had put on less than 10,000 miles since I purchased the car. Of course this was not covered under the warranty.
    One great annoyance with this vehicle is the transmission. This has been well documented in the years since this car had been released. The transmission is programmed to shift up early (to improve gas mileage according to GM). This is fine if you are only going to drive this car on perfectly flat terrain. Unfortunately, if there is an incline, the car keeps shifting down, then up, then down again. I have read that GM put out a service bulletin that would allow dealers to re-program the transmission to alleviate this problem at the owners request, but that fuel economy would suffer (and the cost to re-program is at the owners expense).
    On the subject of fuel economy...I have yet to come close to the estimated 21 mpg. I did not have the transmission re-programmed. I am lucky to get 17 mpg in mixed in-town and highway driving.
    At the writing of this post, I have just made another appointment at the dealer because the car has developed a loud whining noise while at idle or driving at low speeds. After doing some research, it sounds like I am now experiencing the power steering issues that have plagued this car and its siblings the Acadia and Traverse. GM has service bulletins on this issue as well.
    My other vehicle at this time is a 1999 Chrysler Town and Country Limited. I bought this car as a 2 year old certified vehicle in 2001. This car has been a champ. At this point I have far more confidence in the Chrysler than the Enclave.
    I have read other posts here that sing the praises of their Enclave. I am truly happy for these folks that they have been lucky enough to avoid the multitude of issues that other Enclave owners like myself have had to endure.
    I apologize for the frustrations and inconvenience that have been a result of the multiple repairs you've described in this post. I see that you have scheduled a new appointment for your Enclave due to a "loud whining noise" you're hearing from your vehicle. When is this appointment?

If we can be of assistance, either by providing recall or warranty information, or by opening up a Customer Assistance case, please send us an email with more information including your name/username, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles with a 2008 Enclave. I was the proud owner of a CXL that I ordered new in June of '07 and took delivery 3 months later. In the 48 months (40,000 miles) I owned it I never experienced any problems beyond normal maintenance. However, I always had the car serviced at a GM dealer and always on schedule. Here's a very valuable lesson...if you can't trace the ownership of a used (or previously owned, if you prefer) by Car Fax or somehow getting in touch with the previous owner, I wouldn't buy the car! Look at the weather we've had in the last few years...hurricanes, lots of flooding, etc. This is not to mention that many people just don't service their vehicles properly. Whoever buys my car will be buying a real dream. When I turned it in the only things it needed were tires and brakes, in about 5,000 miles. Again, I'm sorry to hear of your mishaps, but try to remember that cars are only machines that need to be serviced and handled correctly. I'm sure that GM Customer Service will be a great help to you.
    I appreciate your advice on vehicles and I have followed this advice on all vehicles I have purchased. This is why I have been so disappointed in this car. I have done most of the routine maintenance on my vehicles myself. This includes oil changes and brakes. The enclave I p;urchased was a GM certified lease return. I have the CarFax information from the dealer and also the history of any recalls that have been done. I guess the only saving grace for me was that I purchased an extended warranty.
    In a follow-up to my last (lengthy) post, I just got my enclave back from the dealer after being in the shop for two days. I originally brought it in for a noisy power steering pump. They did discover a leaking power steer in hose. However, they also found a defective sway bar and replaced that. Then it was discovered that the water pump was leaking, so that was replaced as well. Finally, they called me to tell me that they had found an oil leak coming from the timing chain housing. They replaced the timing chains and resealed the housing. This required an oil change of course. The car currently has 67,000 miles.
    All of the above was covered under either my 5 year 100.000 mile power train warranty or the extended warranty I had purchased. My guess-timation on the retail cost of this work would be in the neighborhood of $2500 or more. I paid my deductible on the extended warranty of $100. I guess that is a way of looking at the bright side.
    I go back to my original post about the quality of the vehicle. If all of these things had to be done on a vehicle that only has 67,000 miles on it, what does that say about the quality? I have 105,000 on my '99 Chrysler town and country. I have not had to replace even a water pump. I took the Chrysler on a 500 mile round trip over the past three days. The car ran like a champ and got me nearly 24 miles/gallon.
    Again, I'm really sorry to hear of your problems. Just looking at post #232 I think is a more representative sample of what most Enclave owners have experienced. Don't get me wrong, there are bad cars (they used to call them "Monday Morning Specials") in any make or model. If you have another GM dealer near you (they don't have to be Buick dealers) I would suggest that you give tham a call/try...just make sure that they will honor the warranty. Here in NYC there is only 1 Buick dealer (in Brooklyn) and I have never liked their service department. So, I go to a Chevy
    dealer...they're the best...hands down. And keep in touch with GM Customer Service...they really will do there best to help you. Oh, and I don't work for GM!
  • danny331911danny331911 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2010 Buick Enclave CXL1 AWD new in June 2010. It is very nice in side and extremely quiet which could compare with any car on the market regardless of price. I handles like a dream with a very nice ride... Yet it handles like a sport tourer in the mountains. Last year during Christmas I drove to the mountains of NC during a heavy snow storm. I couldn't buy chains in Florida and they were sold out once I got there. The snow was heavy and many of the roads had not been cleared having 4 plus inches on the road with heavy blowing snow. I didn't need the chains has the stock all season tires griped well and the AWD just had the car go regardless of snow. After dealing with severe weather a good part of my life and being in the Army for 25 years I have never driven a vehicle that handled as well in such weather.

But as of now I will not buy another GM vehicle, period... Here's why...

GM initially sells their vehicles with VERY OLD MAPS. Don't buy the update disks either and if you do for God's sake don't get it from the thieves at GMNAV Disk.

If you take out your DVD disk and put in your computer to check the folders you'll see that the 2011 disk has maps dated DEC2008. The maps are even older than that and I have found no difference in them from the maps in the DEC2007 dated map folder on my GMNAV Disk that came with my then new 2010 vehicle.

They just released the 2012 GMNAV dsk update and guess what. The maps are from 2009 and they are no where near up to date with roads and addresses that were open in 2009 or in 2008 for that matter.

GM, as always, takes an otherwise "great" vehicle and then pisses off people that plunk down $50K or more by screwing up badly such details as "intentionally" selling 3-4 year old maps with a $1500-$2500 in dash Nav system. Then add insult to injury by trying to "gouge" customers for a ridiculous $200 for a truly ""feeble"" attempt at an "update".

GM needs to be held accountable for this scam and so far no one is except for the few of us willing to rip their thieving throats out on blogs.

We are not only customers but we bailed out this damn company with our tax dollars. We who then also pony up a huge bundles of cash to buy a GM vehicle DESERVE BETTER!
    I read post#232. Everyone has different expectations about how a vehicle should perform. My expectation would not be to have to replace my transmission at 75000 miles irregardless of whether the warranty covered it or not.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The most notable exterior change is a revised front face, with new black-chrome grille, xenon HID headlamps wreathed in blue translucent rings, and LED daytime running lights. A new rear fascia includes LED taillamps and integrated exhaust outlets framed in chrome. The 2013 Enclave also offers redesigned 19- and 20-inch wheels."

2013 Buick Enclave Gets Midcycle Updates (Inside Line)

• dkr1dkr1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi -- I have a 2008 Buick Enclave which I bought new. It is constantly at the dealership for service. I finally got so fed up I made a spreadsheet of all the times it has been in for service not including routine service and it has been in 68 times. The cars is not even 5 years old and has only 65K miles. This car is a piece of crap. It has been in for the A/C 6 times, the power steering 8 times, the windshield leaking 4 times, brakes pedal issues 4 times, airbag issues 8 times (I am not even confident that in a crash they would deploy) plus many other issues. This means it is in the shop more the once a month. Ridiculous! I contacted GM and told them I wanted them to buy back the vehicle as I can not sell it privately since I would be liable to new buyer. All they did was give me the complete run around for a month and then offer me a $2,000 customer loyalty certificate which forces me to buy another GM vehicle and they are giving me next to nothing for this car when they appraise it. I wind up losing money on this deal. What are my options?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    dkr1,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Can you please email me directly with your VIN? I would like to look into this further for you. I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • rjlukerjluke Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2008 Buick Enclave with 55,000 miles on it. I bought the vehicle used with about 32,000 miles. I have never been so disappointed with a vehicle in my life. I bought it because I liked the styling, but should have given it more thought. It has been a disaster from the get go.

To start with, the overall quality of the vehicle is extremely poor. There is a very loud whistling noise right behind the driver's head when driving on the highway. It is very pronounced when there is a cross wind coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. I would expect a vehicle in this price range to have a nice quiet cabin. The vehicle itself makes all kinds of strange popping and clanging sounds when it is started up. It seems as if something is going to fall off of the vehicle or blow apart at any time.

The transmission is tuned so poorly that the vehicle is tremendously unresponsive. When you step on the gas it seems to hesitate and then makes a strange whirring noise when it finally decides to go. This beast is not fun to drive.

Blind spots in the rear from the very small window are frustrating. When the DVD screen is folded down there is zero visibility from behind. The front support columns around the windshield create large blindspots as well. It's difficult to see approaching traffic while stopped at in intersection.

The above items are mere annoyances compared to maintenance issues with this vehicle. In addition to numerous smaller maintenance issues that had to be fixed in the shop, in the short time I've had it, the power steering pump failed and had to be replaced and now the evaporator for the A/C has failed. I'm looking at $2000 for out of warranty repair. It's 90 degrees outside and I have to cram my family into our little sedan to go somewhere because the Buick doesn't have any A/C.

Needless to say, I'm going to sell the Buick ASAP and buy something else. I had a Honda Pilot prior to the Buick and it was a GREAT vehicle. I got what I thought was a good deal on the Enclave and now I regret ever having bought it.

Bottom line, the vehicle looks great, but it is of very poor quality and extremely unreliable. GM really botched this one. I will never buy a Buick again. My next vehicle will be a Toyota or Honda.
    Good evening,
    It looks as though you have decided to sell your Enclave, and I had wanted to express my apologies that you have encountered so many concerns with this vehicle. I wish you the best as you pursue other vehicles, but if in the meantime you would like for us to look into anything further, please send us more information (including the last 8 digits of your VIN, your name, and Edmunds username) at socialmedia@gm.com.
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • wfarrahwfarrah Member Posts: 2
    Had my Enclave serviced 2 weeks ago ($1500).
    It sat idle in the driveway until today. When I tried to start it -- DEAD BATTERY!!!!!!

I had the battery replaced and the computer reprogrammed for a parasitic battery drain last year after continually having this problem and finally calling the tow truck to pick it up after every event.

Now again!!!!

Any suggestions?
    Take a look at Enclaveforum.net for some good advice on this. This is not an unusual happening but one that is easy to correct and avoid. I owned my '08 for 4 years and never had a dead battery, even after leaving it parked for almost a month when I went on vacation...in the winter. Take a look at the forum I mentioned.
    It's a shame that you're having so much trouble with your '08. I too had an '08, but mine was trouble-free and a pleasure to own and drive. I leased mine for 48 months and had about 36,000 miles on it and aways GM serviced. (I replaced it with another GM car)
    Now, what does this mean? First off, cars are machines...nothing more. Most are very good, but sometimes things go wrong, either by manufacture or by operation and maintenance. Take a good look at the way some people "drive". Cars are just not made to be operated this way, regardless of their price tag. Next is the service. Sure, you can "service" (change the oil, filter, etc.) yourself, but why? The GM dealer is better trained, and equipped, to do this (or at least, should be). Finally, and most importantly, you bought a "used" (or "previously owned") vehicle. You probably have no real idea of how the previous owner handled the car. Did he service it at all? Did he try to run the guts out of it? Was it a "flood" car? Forget about tracing the previous ownership, anyone can phony that up.
    Try going to the GM Customer Service for some help. And good luck.
    Oh, and maybe your Honda (or Toyota, or whatever) was a good car...but if you have a problem, they don't want to know who you are!
  • michellegrantmichellegrant Member Posts: 1
    This is the worst car I have purchased. I started to have issues with this vehicle last year. 1.) I took it to Dutton Motors for the air bag notification light coming up. I was told they didn’t know was wrong and it seem to be fine. Due to several poor service experiences I stopped going to Dutton. I started going to Lake Elsinore Buick and had good service. 2.) I took my car in for the same air bag notification problem. They identified the problem and held my car to fix it. I was contacted to pick up my car, but when I arrived I was told it was not completely fixed and they had to order another part. The dealer let me drive off the lot with a major safety concern. It took over a week or two for the part to come in, I brought the car in for the repair to be completed. 3.) About 3 weeks ago I brought my car in for an oil change and after I made the appointment, the airbag light came on again. I informed the service advisor (Chris) at the time and he said that he would look into it while the car was in the back getting the oil changed. Chris informed me that I cannot drive the car due to the major safety concern and they would get me a rental. WOW, I was surprised since another service advisor let me drive off the lot before with a major safety issue! 4.) 6/28/2012- my car breaks down while I am driving into work in the middle of a intersection where I almost hit a light pole. The breaks went out, steering, etc., I had to use all of my might to avoid hitting the light pole. I prayed that I would coast to safe spot not to be hit. I did, thank God! I had the car towed from Loma Linda to Lake Elsinore. I received no call from the dealer and it had been about 3 hours since the car was towed. I called and spoke with Denise. She said they do not know what is wrong specifically, but indicated it was a major engine issue and would let me know the next day and offered a rental car for this major safety concern. 6/29/2012- about ½ the day went by and again I had to call for an update. I spoke with Denise and she indicated that I a “rod blew” and I needed the engine to be replaced. She then asked me where I took the car prior to 18k miles since they have no service records. I explained to her that I took it to Dutton in Riverside and their service was poor so I started to come here. I further indicated all my records are uploaded on Buick.com (I see they are not in the system now). I asked her how could this happen? She indicated lack of lubrication or some other reason.. I called later and spoke with Chris (Denise was gone for the day) and I asked did the tech identify how old the oil was? Was it fresh? Dirty? Chris said he was back there when they checked the oil and said it was fresh. My opinion was at the time, they forgot to do the oil change and that is what blew the rod. I can’t prove it but it seems strange to have an engine replaced after 2 yrs and 3mths of owning a car. I asked to speak with the GM of the dealership was transferred to operator voice mail. I also sent an on-line inquiry and no response as of today 7/2/2012. In my opinion, I am a good candidate for “SONG-BEVERLY WARRANTY RIGHTS”. These are all major safety issues. I may be getting a new motor, but I have no trust driving my most precious commodity, my children! The car value will now depreciate even more. If I want to sell the car, I may have a hard time. Let’s not even mention the liability it places on me when I sell it. I have lost $$ all the way around right now. So disappointed, I am stuck with this “luxury car” as you advertise it….What are you going to do about this!!!!
  • pj08pj08 Member Posts: 1
    I too am having endless issues. Purchased new Nov 2008. Not even 4 years old yet. Have had two power steering pumps, endless passenger airbag issues, mysterious AC/Freon issues (can't find a leak with dye but getting freon charges every 6 months!) etc. Loved the look of the vehicle. Paid cash for it and wish I hadn't. Just got it back from dealer today for second PS pump in less than 2 years. 65k miles (first pump replaced at 39k). They were oh so sorry nothing was covered and there was nothing they could do for me. I guess Buick expects their fuel pump to go out. They weren't the least bit surprised or supportive of taking care of the issue "outside of warranty". I can't dump this thing fast enough. Buy american? Not the way THIS thing is built!
    Good afternoon michellegrant,

I apologize that this response did not come to you sooner - do you have any updates on the progress of your repair?

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    pj08,

I'm sorry that you have had so many issues with your Enclave. Do you have any current concerns that you are hoping to have looked into? Let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • leighann2000leighann2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Enclave and have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!! I have had it the shop more than 8 times for the same issues over and over. Is there anything I can do to make GM/Buick fix the issues once and for all without charging me MORE money!! I am just so sick of it but I cant get a new car. I do not have the money for that and I have 3 kids so I need for my car to be reliable! I have been told that they wont tell me my car is a lemon because GM doesnt want to have to pay for it! I am just fed up with everything!!!