Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Owners Give Us Your Report

Comments

• cajun_mikecajun_mike Member Posts: 37
    I have been looking at all the auto blogs for years. When I first saw the early views of the Enclave concept, I thought it was the best looking CUV I have seen and have followed it from conception to the dealers lot.

I currently own a 2004 Lincoln Aviator AWD with only 30,000 miles on it. My fiancee just purchased the new 2007 Acura MDX which is a fantastic vehicle. Obviously, I have no desire to purchase the same vehicle as hers when it comes time, so the Enclave is at the top of my short list.

Financed my Aviator for 5 years thru Ford Motor credit with 0% financing, so it's hard for me to run out the door and indulge new car fever, with this free money vehicle with low mileage on it sitting in my garage... Plus I love the Aviator... I think Lincoln made a mistake in canceling it. There are no truck based midsized SUV's in the luxury realm, except for the Lexus GX and that one just doesn't do it for me at all.

Anyways, Buick adds that small V8 to next years model (rumored Super version) and I'll be placing my order. But first I want to see what the Infiniti FX-37 looks like at the Geneva auto show in the spring.

Thanks again, enjoyed reading all of your insights into a great automobile. Just turned 40 and never thought I would be drooling over a Buick!

A snippet from a June 2007 article in Motor Trend speculates on GM's plans for the Enclave.

GM is planning an Enclave Super, though it won't yet confirm the four-porthole, V-8 version. It looks to be a 2010 model with GM's upcoming new DOHC engine-let's call it the "high-feature V-8"-likely 5.0-plus liters with gas direct-injection and variable-valve timing for better power and economy. With higher CAFE standards inevitable, it'll be low-volume, possibly with the Enclave the only Lambda to get the engine, another potential feather in Buick's differentiation cap. The V-6 will get more power and torque, too, as soon as GM can build more direct-injection 3.6s like the one premiering in the 302-horsepower 2008 Cadillac STS.
  • nhhawk6nhhawk6 Member Posts: 8
    I had not heard the speculative discussions regarding the Enclave Super. I'm glad I read it in your post. I recently bought a fully-loaded Enclave CXL for my wife and our four children, and we love it so much I was planning on getting one for myself. I will definitely put those plans on hold for now, pending further confirmation of GM's plans. A 300+ horsepower V8 Enclave would be a remarkable vehicle!!! I certainly hope it comes to pass!!!!

Hawk
  • stetsonbustetsonbu Member Posts: 14
    Hi Hawk,

You mention you just purchased a fully loaded Enclave and that you have four children. Just curious, did you get the bench or the buckets? If you got the bench, how did you arrange the car seats, etc. so that you can get to the 3rd row?
  • jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    Ya beat me to it!!!

I was traveling and didn't have my issue of MT with me to quote the Enclave Super quip. Great find!
  • hondafordhondaford Member Posts: 51
    We ordered a CXL FWD with all options except DVD 2 1/2 weeks ago and was just told that our order has not shown up on the computers yet. The dealer originally told me 10 weeks +/- but based on reports I read here, that seemed optimistic. It would have been ideal since that is when I turn in my leased Honda Pilot. I guess we are going to be a one-car family for awhile!
    What kind of wait times are others experiencing? :confuse:
  • nastacionastacio Member Posts: 370
    Our local Buick dealer said "anywhere between 2 and 3 months". In the past couple of weeks, they have always had one in stock.

It is almost funny how they are always loaded with all available dealer-installed accessories :-)
  • grd398sgrd398s Member Posts: 15
    Our ordered Enclave arrived exactly 10 weeks from the day the order was placed. And, that included the two-week scheduled plant shut-down in July.

They are adding a 3rd shift to the plant, so I don't think anybody will be waiting longer than 8-10 weeks from the date the dealer enters the order. You should realize that the day you order at your dealer might not be the day your dealer enters your order with GM - make sure you ask about that to make sure your order is placed in a timley manner.
  • grand6grand6 Member Posts: 12
    To those who have enclave or have ordered it I have a question. It seems to get 5.1 bose surround sound you need to get the DVD as part of entertainment package. I only really need NAV and don't want to spend another $1300 to get the DVD. Is there much difference in audio sound between the 5.1 Bose surround 10 speaker system versus the Bose 10 speaker (non-surround sound) that's part of the NAv audio option-(Entertainment package #3) Thanks
    I would add another question along the same lines: I understand the nav display is intergral with the audio display. If you are not using nav, is the screen fully illuminated? in my pilot, if I do not enter data into my nav, the screen goes blank after a minute. Of course, my time and audio data is displayed in a separate LCD device. At night the nav display can be annoying if you do not need it.
  • rdifuscordifusco Member Posts: 1
    We BOT the upgraded BOSE with the 6 disc CD player. It works great with CD's or IPOD. But the radio is weak. We took this back to the dealer and of course they told us there is not a problem. It sounds like the radio stations are not on the exact channel, some sort of reception problem. Is anyone else having this issue?

Also the fan blows air constantly on our feet. Living in upstate NY this is cold air. We would prefer to not have this blowing air all the time - any thoughts.

Other than that we love the Enclave - looks great, very quiet. It is very easy to go 80 mph, felt like we were doing 40.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Have any of the new Enclave owners used their vehicle for towing, specifically a moderate sized (2500-3500 lb.) boat? How does it affect the ride quality and is it too sluggish?
  • nhhawk6nhhawk6 Member Posts: 8
    Sorry for the delay in my reply!

We bought the Enclave, in no small part, because it had the second row captain's chairs. The bench seat defeats the purpose. Our children are 12, 8, 8,and 8 (triplet boys). The captain's chairs allow them to simply walk through to the third row. We never have to slide the chairs forward. Car seats have long since been tossed.

The Enclave has all the convenience of a minivan with the beauty and luxury of a high-end cross-over!!

Hawk
  • bsc1114bsc1114 Member Posts: 25
    I ordered mine on July 6th and was told yesterday(Sept. 12th) that it won't be built until Sept.24th and should expect delivery 3 weeks later. I rented an Enclave in Florida a couple of weeks ago- through Enterprise- and was totally overjoyed with the vehicle. I can't wait to get my own.
  • comet7comet7 Member Posts: 4
    I ordered my enclave the first week in June and it is supposed to be made next week, September 24th thru September 28th. Not happy with the loooooooonnnnnnnng wait!
  • kcoreykcorey Member Posts: 130
    I ordered mine on 6/18 and was advised it should arrive at the dealership the week of 9/24. The delay was because I ordered the Luxury Package. If I had not ordered that, the dealer estimates that it probably would have arrive several weeks ago.
  • medema7medema7 Member Posts: 19
    From reading other related Enclave audio comments, someone indicated that the 5.1 surround sound relates only to DVDs. My guess is that the surround sound does not apply toward regular compact discs. When I asked the Buick salesman he had no idea and said I knew more about the crossover than he did. At least he was honest, however, I wish someone who knew the undoubted answer to this would please step up. I would like to place my order soon.
    Thanks to anyone that can clarify this.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I wish someone who knew the undoubted answer to this would please step up.

I wouldn't say I fall into that category, but...

I think it will play in 5.1 if it is recorded that way. I was under the impression that not many audio CD's would play back that way.
  • redirector1redirector1 Member Posts: 2
    Any Acura/Honda Navi drivers out there -- how does the Buick Navi system compare?

Can the system be programmed while the vehicle is moving (ie, by a passenger), or do you have to be stopped to program a destination/route? Infiniti's had to be stopped, Acura & Honda allow programming while the vehicle is moving. Is the Buick's a touch-screen based system? The newest from Acura are NOT, which I think is not as good.

Looks like a very promising vehicle, this Enclave. Last Buick in our family history was a 1975 Century! It's been pretty much all imports for 3 decades ever since. Thank you.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Not a Honda driver here, but the GM Navi (the same one is used in several vehicles) IS touch-screen and DVD based, but there is a lock on being able to change Nav controls while moving.

Of course, there are various companies who offer plug-in moduals to "unlock" this and playing DVD movies while driving, but that's an aftermarket deal, and some have varying success.

Otherwise, most people tend to like the GM system quite a bit, both in operation and look/feel.
    The enclave nav is voice operated,isn't it? If so inputting would not be dangerous. I currently drive a Pilot with nav and always search for motels for our that nights lodging late in the day. My wife is "technophobid" so I do it while she has her turn driving.
    This is the one of the main reasons for having a nav, to me. We already ordered our enclave and I will be very disappointed if I cannot do this. :cry:
  • bobelewbobelew Member Posts: 17
    I have had a very limited exposure to the Navc system in the Enclave, but it appears that the system in the Honda vehicles is a bit better than in GMC. The programming should nvere be done by the driver while in motion in any car, and I didn't attempt to do so in the Enclave. I pulled over and input the information. It was very quick and easy. I am not sure how much progarmming you can do by voice command, but you can do a lot of other things by that means. One of the main differences between the GMC and Honda vehicles system is the the directions given in the GMC do not tell you the name of the street to turn on. It is written on the screen, but that means you have to keep taking your eyes off of the road. With the Honda systems it call out the street name. This system is much better in heavy traffic.
    I hope this helps!
  • redirector1redirector1 Member Posts: 2
    I will test it. I drove the new Acura MDX to see how the upgraded Nav (upgraded to my 2yr old TL that is) functioned. By way of comparison, it has letter and number voice prompts, and can find streets when you say "Lamar" for instance, it pulls up the choices, then prompts you, so it does mean you do glance at the screen to see which Lamar is the right one. But they've come a long way in voice recognition to pull that off, I'd say. From there it prompted you to calc a route select the route you wanted and then started with directions. It also did allow direct programming while the car was moving, the sales rep did it from the pass. seat. It also has the real-time traffic updates with incident reports. That is all screen-based, so at some point the screen does draw your eye!

I think I could get used to the voice-driven systems, that is likely the future, but I do prefer direct input (and I miss the touch screen but will likely get used to a turning knob, too). Probably not a deal killer either way or with either system, but am glad to discuss.

Alpine is the maker of the nav system for Honda.
    I would be very interested to find out what you find. I currently drive an 04 Accord which is the older style system. I have ordered the Enclave and did order the Navigation system. I got it for the rear view camera as much as for the Nav system. My experience with the Enclave system was very limited because my test drive in the Enclave was short. I have spent a couple of days in others, but none with the Nav system. I will mention this in case you are interested. If you are serious about the Enclave, do yourself a favor and drive both the AWD and FWD. In my humble opinion, the AWD handles and rides so much better. You you will pay a penalty of 1 to 2 mpg, but the added handling and traction is well worth that small price!
    Bobelew
    When does your enclave arrive? They originally said mine would be here 29 October, but that is probably optimistic. I ask because if when you get yours I would be interested in your report on the nav vs your acura. I am driving an 05 Pilot/nav and am concerned about the differences. I test drove one without the nav and the selling factor was the ride vs our pilot.
    I expect that when mine comes, if I change my mind they would let me out of the deal and let me order another one since they are still rare and this is small dealership with a small allocation.
    Thanks
    I ordered my Enclave the first week in June. I was told my dealer, there is a problem with the white diamond paint and it is no longer available. I had to change to the Opal white. I have not received my Enclave yet. Has anyone heard of this? I really liked the white diamond paint better.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Based on what I have heard the White Diamond is on constraint, which means it is hard to get, but still being built. I think it might be replaced later on this model year (Jaunuary?) with a different white.
    The one on the lot I drove was the white diamond. It was beautiful. Funny that my dealer had one un-ordered and others are waiting for it.
    Mine is on hold for the luxury package.
    I ordered mine on June 18 (Red, Convenience Package & Luxury Package). It arrive on Sept. 18th...13 weeks to the day!. I understand that the white diamond is a problem, even for Cadillac (it is a Caddy color). It looks great, but it cannot be touched-up. If you get even a small scratch, then the entire panel has to be repainted, and it probably won't match the rest of the car. My dealer has had one on order for over 4 months, and expects arrival any day.
    I see several comments about the 2nd row center console. Is it available? I don't see where you can order that yet. If you go to Buick.com to build your own, there is no selection for that.
    What is the average delivery time to the dealer after the vehicle is made?
    Mine was about 2 weeks.
    It was supposed to be the end of September. While it looks like a good idea, with it in place you cannot enter the 3rd row except to pull down the 2nd row seat. Also, the chair arm of the captains' chairs is not there...the center console takes their place. Some people are using the portable consoles instead.
    Does anybody know how long it takes for delivery once the car is built. My Enclave was starting to be built on Monday, Sept. 17th. The dealer said it would be in next week, but I have yet to hear from him. Tomorrow is 12 weeks that I ordered it and I'm getting a little impatient. Thanks for the info.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    As said above, it seems to generally max out at about 2 weeks.
    Thanks Beach-so maybe it will be in next week.
  • enclaviusenclavius Member Posts: 11
    That's interesting...I ordered mine on July 7th. Was told a few weeks ago it would be built Monday, September 17th also. Just received a call this Monday and dealer said it was built and would ship to them late this week or next. This doesn't account, though, for the strike. It shut down auto carriers that wouldn't cross the picket line. So I'm anticipating now that I'll get a call next week or the following week. Good Luck.
    Where are you located? I'm in New Jersey. Great name,by the way!
    Hondaford,
    Sorry in taking so long to get back with you, but haven't been too busy to get back to my computer for a few days.
    To answer your question, it looks as though it will be a while yet. I talked to my dealer today to find out if the strike had any effect on the delivery date and was informed that there is a delay on my vehicle at this time. According to the dealer it is the color (Cocoa Metallic) and the Luxury package that are the contributing factors. The color comes into play because that particular color is so popular that they can only paint so many at a time. The Luxury package, I'm still not too sure what they were trying to tell me on that one. I guess that has been a problem for some time. I gather it is something like the color, they can only produce so many at one time. We have to remember that the line that produces the Enclave also produces the Saturn and the Acadia. They are also trying to build up the supplies of the 08 Saturns and Acadias as well.
    I ordered my Enclave on the 27th of July. At the time I ordered the car they told me it would take about eight to ten weeks. It looks like it is going to be a lot longer than that! If it goes too far into 08, I may well cancel and wait until the 09's come out!
    I would be interested in finding out when you get yours.
    Good Luck
    I'm in St. Paul, MN...I believe the Enclave is built in Lansing, MI. I asked my wife to call me enclavius when I drive it (once I get delivery)...it cracks her up, especially since she is so anti-buick...thinks it's an "old man's" car. I say this will change things for Buick, plus I don't care if were a Geo. It is a cool vehicle and is sure to turn heads and change opinions.
    off subject, but responding to "old man's car."
    my parents (born 1901 and 1908) called Buick "the doctors car."
    Just found out my Enclave is at Port Newark and I'll have it by the middle of next week. Only 12 1/2 weeks later !!!! Yea!!!
  • jdamonjdamon Member Posts: 1
    I am about to order an Enclave, but I'm debating on whether or not to pay the extra $2,000 for AWD. Can anyone tell me how big a difference the AWD vs FWD is on the Enclave and/or Outlook/Acadia?

Also, what options have you found that you really like and are glad you got vs those that may have been a non-necessity?

Thanks for your feedback!
  • cowczarcowczar Member Posts: 4
    FWD vs. AWD-I had the same question and drove them both for many, many miles before I ordered the FWD. They drove the same on all road conditions and types (no snow yet so I didn't compare that). Mileage is in the favor of FWD and the initial cost is in the favor FWD. I even talked to the dealer about either version, and he said it really is a wash. If it was a bigger deal between the two I assume he would have tried to sell me the AWD version (more $$ for them).
    FWD vs AWD is really where you drive. I'm in NYC and AWD is a waste...for me. If it snows that much, I'll just take the bus or subway. Now if you live in Butte, Montana, where it snows for the 4th of July parade (well, almost), I could see getting AWD.
    Options are like color. My wife loves the Red Jewelcoat. (So, of course, the car is Red Jewelcoat!). The only options I got was the Driver Convenience Package, the Luxury Package and the Cargo Net. (After looking at the cargo net & cover for $90., I think that I would just go to an auto parts store and buy one off-the-shelf for $10. Save the rest and go to dinner)
    I stayed with the basic radio. With 7 grandchildren in the car, who can hear the radio? I bought 4 over-the-counter DVD players for $300. from Walmart and attached them to the headrests. It took me a couple of hours to wire them in so they look really good. They're not as good looking as original equiptment, but hey, they're a lot cheaper than the factory installed unit. As for a navigation unit, On-Star has the voice activated one in the car already. I can't drive and look at a 5 inch screen to see where I'm going anyway. Actually, if I'm going a distance...the Outer Banks, or what have you, I get my directions and map from Map Quest...it's so much easier. I personally don't like a sun-roof, so why buy one. Chrome wheels? Sure, they look great...for their price they should! And I can't seee them from inside anyway. The only one's who really see them are people in other cars.
    But hey, it's your car...you have to buy and drive what you like...and can afford!
    Good luck in your quest (or should I say, Enclave). We love ours, and I'm sure you will too.
    Did you get yours yet?? I still didn't get mine and the dealer said it was built on Sept. 17th. I was in there on Tuesday (10/2) and he showed me the invoice and it said delivery date of 10/1. He said any day now, but I'm losing my patience. Let me know if you were luckier than me.
    Yes, mine came in Monday morning and the dealer called me then to let me know. I went in to pick it up Tuesday night. Needless to say, it was worth the wait. I order mine in black with the tan interior. I've been busy with other stuff and haven't even figured out any of the XM radio stuff or OnStar. When you pick it up, you have to call OnStar within 24 hours to register your password, etc. I called on the way home from the dealer and it cracked me up. The lady couldn't stop thanking me enough for purchasing a "Buick Encave"! She's reading off a script and I don't think she had had an Enclave purchaser call in before or she was very new.

Anyway, I'm loving the car so far, but haven't driven it much and need to figure out all the bells and whistles. You should have had yours deliver by now. It must be close.

Good Luck

Enclavius
    Thanks for the info-- good luck with yours- the black and tan sounds really nice. I'm going into the dealer tomorrow and hopefully I'll get some answers. I'll keep you posted.
    I was fortunate enough to be able to wrangle overnight test drives from two different dealers. I wanted to really test the difference in both handling and fuel economy between the two. I figured if I was gong to spend that kind of money fir the Enclave, I wanted to get the safest and most fun to drive. What I found in my very unscientific testing was that the AWD did indeed handle better in tight turns and on wet or slippery pavement. I was fortunate enough to drive up to the mountains on a very rainy summer afternoon. When the roads haven't had any rain for quite some time, the pavement has a tendency to become a little slick from all of the oil and residue. I found that the AWD tracks much better due to the traction shifting to and from whichever tires needed it. The FWD a lot of oversteer and just didn't feel as secure as the AWD. AWD is not just for snow covered roads, it works well on all roads to improve traction for steering and acceleration. I did find that you do loose about 1-2 mpg's with the AWD, but for me the added safety and traction is worth the small price.
    My advice is to take some time driving both systems, preferrably without a salesperson along, and really drive them. That is the only way that you can really tell which is really best for you!
    I found that that the salespeople at the two different dealerships I went to, could be talked into an overnight demonstration, if they feel you are genuinely interested in purchasing the Enclave.
    Whichever you decide on you have picked a great vehicle!
    Did you get your Enclave? If not, what is the delay? One of the cool features mine has is the camera lens in the back. I park on the street in front of my house and this really is handy...for sure I won't back into/crush my next door neighbor's smaller wagon!

Good Luck!
  • 724soccer724soccer Member Posts: 2
    One day had a great deal ( 1500 below invoice) on a white diamond Acadia w/ 1000 miles on it...while they were cleanig it up overnight....I discovered the Enclave. So we found one to drive and was impressed by the interior...but there are NO deals to be had. Most local dealers are charging MSRP or you can put a deposit on one and wait...BUT then a dealer ( 45 minutes away) has 3 on the lot...we went down and got him 850 below msrp...but couldn't decide on color ( either White Dia/Coco or Plat/Ebony or Coco/cashm) and whether to fore go NAV. none had nav...so we left...dealer called back today...offered 750 over invoice and another 500 for our trade...what to do? Can I live w/o Nav? Then there's the color???? coco - White diamond or Platinum?