Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bug Shields for Ford Escape

joe19403joe19403 Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Ford
I ordered a bug shield for my 2008 escape from ford and the instruction are not that clear. There is a rubber gasket on the under side of the hood. Does anyone know how to install the shield with the rubber gasket in the way.

Comments

• bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I believe you remove some of the attachment screws from the gasket and replace with screws from the shield. However, why don't you have the dealer install the shield. After you see how it is done the first time, then you can remove for waxing and re-install it yourself.
  • joe19403joe19403 Member Posts: 13
    I had a ford dealer install the bug shield. The shield goes right over the rubber gasket with nothing to remove.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    I'm planning to have the dealer install a bug shield and window guards when my Escape comes in. I've had them installed on other vehicles in the past at after-market shops and ended up with problems. I'm not saying the dealer can do a better job, but at least they can't complain when I turn the vehicle in at the end of my lease.
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    The instructions are pictorials.A little vague but I've done serious stuff in the past. 6 holes need to be drilled. in the past I've used Weather Tech where there is no drilling however they do not make one for the 08 Escape. I need to be careful in not drilling too far and going into the hood. If anyone gets one, DO NOT REMOVE THE YELLOW DOTS on the bug shield until the install is done. I made the mistake of removing them before I read the instructions. The yellow dots show where the rubber bumpers go on the hood(stick on). Now I will need to measure where they go so they are even and use the vague pictorial as an example. The instructions also show to use some type of substance where the holes are drilled to prevent rust. I am going to use some duplicolor primer followed by clearcoat. I doubt the dealer will do this. Also they show in the instructions to use Loctite on the end screws. I again doubt the dealer will do this. They also show a tool to deburr the drilled holes before the the rust preventative stuff is used. Any suggestions on what to put on the drilled holed besides the primer and the clearcoat? I plan to do this on the weekend, when I won't be distracted and my wife can help me hold the shield
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Good luck this weekend and as you state, don't drill too far. You are probably right about the dealer not applying loctite or rustproofing. I am surprised that Ford doesn't have a shield that doesn't require drilling for the 2008.
    I sure wish I could remember what I used on the drill holes when I installed the mud flaps on my Dodge Ram eight years ago. Whatever it was, it worked like a charm. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about my memory these days!

Ladyblue :shades:
    My dealer told me that the bug shield for the 2008 is not yet available. How can this be, if others on this board have already gotten one? Where did you get it?

I went to a few aftermarket sites and they all came up empty for a 2008 Escape. My dealer said it should be available in a couple of weeks.

Ladyblue :(
    I ordered it from Warnock Ford in Morristown NJ. It is made by Lunds, but is a genuine Ford Accessory. Go to another dealer
    I ordered the bug shield for my 2008 escape from Ford accessories.com and took it to a ford dealership for the installation.
    I saw it on the Ford accessories site, and even gave the dealer the part number.

If they don't have it when I get back from vacation, I'll try ordering it from Ford myself.
    I save $$$$$ by ordering directly for Ford. The Ford dealer ship charged me 90.00 to install the bug shield and mud flaps.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    This is not a "direct from Ford" ordering site. Only Ford DEALERS can sell Ford accessories, Ford parts and Ford vehicles to retail customers.

Fordaccesories.com is just a front end for Troy Ford of Troy Ohio.

I bet if you took a printout from that website to your local ford dealer, they would match the price.

If you want the factory Ford site, follow this link
    http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/fas/b2c/home.asp

This site allows you to send an order to your local participating dealer.

Mark.
  • 08hybridok08hybridok Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have pics of their 08 with bugshields on? I'm wanting one, just not sure what smoked would look like on the light ice blue.

My Pics
  • chucklesvachucklesva Member Posts: 9
    i just installed one on my gray escape. it is a low profile unit that looks ok, but doesn't offer much protection. beaware that you must drill six hole in the underside of the hood to mount the unit. you also have to install four rubber bumpers between the hood a shield on the outside. these are furnished. you have to actually force the bumpers between the hood and shield and in my case the shield looks a little deform at this location. it is not a difficult job just scarey. the only place i could find one was at the dealer
    good luck
    chuck
  • salmonella1salmonella1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Chucklesva, I just got a bug shield from the dealer for my 2008 Escape. I was in the process of installing it, and of course was not especially enthused about the drilling of 6 holes in my hood. The instructions are not as clear as I would like them, but I think I can manage. I was wondering if the Bug Shield is installed under the 1/2" rubber piece which is situated right underneath the inner tip of the hood, or on top of it. Any help would be appreciated. There is no mention in the instructions.
    Sal
    On top of it. Yes the instructions are not clear, The bug shield is made by Lunds, You can call their tech support line with installation questions. The # is 770-339-5800
  • salmonella1salmonella1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info,
    I did manage to install it, I removed the rubber piece completely after all, it fits better withoout it, looks good.

One little bit of advice though: Be very, very, very careful when you attach the metal end brackets to the bug shield, it notes (10 lbs per squre in torque in the instructions), if you overtighten, it cracks the plastic. It takes very little pressure. So just snug, and don't forget the thread locking compound. (Locktite, ect.)
    Good luck all !!

Sal
    you also need to be aware that the 4 rubber bumpers that they provide, seem to fall off. i have lost one already. when i ask the dealer to replace it, he advised that they were no available and yes it was a problem, severval other customers has lost them. i am going to call ford customer service about this.
    chuck
    I'm getting my bug shield intalled by the dealer tomorrow. I didn't want to chance installing it myself, although I've done them on other vehicles.

Ladyblue :)
    I do have to say if the instructions were clearer and I didn't pull off the yellow dots. The install would of been close to perfect. Because I pulled of the yellow dots and maybe put the 2 gaskets that go around the screw opening in the wrong place( I am not sure because the instructions weren't clear. They should probably go on holes 2 and 5 instaed of 3 and 4. After installing the bumpers where I thought they should when I later opened the hood , I noticed cracks under the outer 2 holes and at the end underneath. WIth the hood closed the install looks perfect. I am also not too crazy where the metal brackets touch the painted surface underneath. I feel that vibration may eventually take some paint off.
    I contacted the dealer after I noticed the cracks and they told me to contact Lunds as they are the manufacturer of the Ford accessory. I wrote them a letter and explained to them of the cracks. They agreed to send me a new one.
    The new one is not the genuine Ford accessory but one made by Lunds for the 2008 Ford Escape under the AVS( Auto Vent Shade) brand. I opened the box and from the instructions the mounting seems simpler and I feel is better. It is held by tape underneath and 6 screws that I may need to drill new holes, I will wait to see if the old one eventually develops more cracks and than install the new one .That's my story..........
    I was going to tell you about the shield cracking after the install. the same thing happen to mine and i was very careful not to over tighten the screws. i think the problems is caused by the pressure that the rubber bumper cause when holding it away from the hood. i also had one bumper fall off. doesn't appear to be the best design. thanks for the info on lund, i will be calling them for a replace.
    thanks
    chuck
  • fuddy1fuddy1 Member Posts: 1
    I had my bug shield installed at the dealer a couple of months ago. Today the end of the left side of the shield slipped out. I opened the hood and notice that there is a hole in the shield that seems like it should be for a screw or somehting. I am wondering it the installer took a short cut and did not attach a fastener. Do any of you who did your own install know if the lips at the far ends of the shield that wrap under the hood ( where there is a hole on the underside) are supposed to be fastened in some way. I am worried that it is going to slip out again while I am driving and rub against my hood.
    Thanks
    You should have a metal bracket that attaches from the hood to the shield on each end of the shield ie above the headlight area. there has been a problem with the shield and these bracket in that they seem to crack at this attachment point. it is not a very good design. i have a cracks at both metal brackets. also these holes had to be drilled by the installer.
    chuck :mad:
This discussion has been closed.