Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Navigation System

shippyshippy Member Posts: 3
edited March 2023 in Hyundai
Good day all azerites,
I bought my pearl white azera 2007,3.3 in dubai in april last week and its running like a dream.
The new model here is having a dvd navigation system and i find the maps very accurate and user friendly.Also the dvd picture and sound quality is astounding.
The car is really worth every penny.
However i am worried about updating the maps.
Nothing is mentioned in the manual and the dealer is not having any clue.
Anybody having any idea.

Comments

• floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    Is you Azera the model produced for the Korean market? Does it also have Bluetooth, Ipod input, Smart key, etc.?
  • shippyshippy Member Posts: 3
    This model is for the gulf region.
    It has a dvd navigation system,ipod input,blue tooth phone.
    However the seat belt warning light for the passenger side is omitted(which is very surprising).
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Most of us with the US model would obviously want to know what a tricked out version like yours converts to in US$, if of course you don't mine sharing that.

Thanks
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    So many reasons come to mind for Hyundai omitting the passenger side seat belt warning light on cars sold in the Gulf region. If anyone knows the rational behind Hyundai's decision, please share. Glad you like your Azzie Shippy. It's really a great car!
  • shippyshippy Member Posts: 3
    The car is costing close to Usd 28k with free registration,free rust proofing.
    On offer is also 5 yrs/100000 warranty and free servicing upto 60000kms.
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Thanks for sharing that shippy, and enjoy your new Azera!
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    I bought a Garmin Nuvi 350. It's not a permanent install but it will run for eight hours on battery power alone and I can switch it between vehicles. I am very impressed with it's accuracy. It doesn't "know" when restarurants close but it can be updated without charge.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Alpine is working on a USA navigation system for hyundai USA! Maybe the 08 azera will get it. It will be in the top vehicles like sonata, entourage, veracruz, santa fe, azera, BH and the next tiburon.
    RE: 9
    Are you talking about a dash mounted system specifically designed for Hyundai as an OEM product?
  • willie11willie11 Member Posts: 14
    I have a Garmin Street Pilot that I use in my Azera sometimes and in my other vehicle. Works great and a great price. In my opinion a built in navigation system in any vehicle is a complete waste of money.
    Yes I'm talking about an Indash OEM navi. LG is still in the race for a hyundai nav contract. I think LG could do it but Alpine knows how to make great nav systems. From what I know there will be bluetooth. Alpine makes the honda/acura system and they have features that LG might not have like traffic and weather.
    The Korean version of the Azera has had nav since inception in 06
    Hyundai could easily have software adapted to accomodate US model.
    I'm not sure who provides their Korean system.
    They could have easily adapted the Mozen MTS250 for the USA without mozen. The arabs have this kind of system. Well hyundai felt that some of the nav systems they have weren't good enough for the USA. Remember the genesis has tech like traffic updates so there needs to be a system that can adapt to the latest technologies. I believe LG and Hyundai autonet/mobis provides the korean nav system. Mobis USA has an Eclipse System for the US market for now but there will be nav coming soon. Hyundai is working with 2 companies to provide a nav system. Dont worry it's coming soon.
    Well they are choosing between LG or Alpine. I think Alpine will get the contract.
    I bet there will be updates every year or so. There probably is a disc drive somewhere that has the DVD. Updating would be quite simple. Just eject the old one. Pop in the new disc and it will probably update itself. As long as you turn on the key but not the engine. You're good to go from there.
    I have a Garmin Street Pilot that I use in my Azera sometimes and in my other vehicle. Works great and a great price. In my opinion a built in navigation system in any vehicle is a complete waste of money. </>

I just took my Garmin Nuvi 660 on a trip from Cleveland, Ohio to Niagara Falls, Canada and New York in a rental car. It worked great and I couldn't have done that with an in dash mounted GPS.
    I agree totally. We have a Garmin Quest in the Azzie and a Garmin C-330 in our CRV. The fit is good and we can take the units on the bike trails if we want. Also it's a hoot to take the Quest on cross country flights as long as the flight staff don't notice your using it. No, it does not interfere with aircraft navigation systems!
  • judgmentbuyjudgmentbuy Member Posts: 27
    Yep, I have a Garmin iQue 3600 - an old but very good GPS/Palm. Any time I use it on a plane - the plane people say no, no it interferes - I explain this device transmits nothing, it is a receiver - but it's like talking to a wall.
    I like built-in GPSs when they are hard installed - so even in the city on a metal bridge, it counts the tire rotations to not get lost - unlike handhelds. But unless they have dead reckoning, I prefer handhelp GPSs.
    I like built-in GPSs when they are hard installed - so even in the city on a metal bridge, it counts the tire rotations to not get lost

How does it count tire rotations?
    Well hyundai is now putting in a LG nav system in the 08 veracruz. Expect this system to trickle into other models.
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    The LG Nav system in the Veracruz apparently will also offer a full Bluetooth option. So hopefully both will be coming to the 08 Azera, Of course, I would be happy if mine just had the XM and new stereo capability. I just couldn't wait.
  • akoni1akoni1 Member Posts: 35
    Does anone have a Nuvi 650 or any other Garmin? How do you like it?
  • zredsoxzredsox Member Posts: 90
    Does anone have a Nuvi 650 or any other Garmin? How do you like it?

Akoni1 -

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 in my Azera and I like it quite a bit. I've never had any problems with it and every once in a while I get an e-mail notification that a downloadable upgrade is available. I go on Garmin's website, download the upgrade right into the Nuvi and I'm right up-to-date with the latest software for the darn thing. I also like the ability to use it in my other car also. It has all the features that I want.

Her's a couple of photos of my installation.

See more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

See more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

The reason I mounted it down low inside the car, rather than up on the window or the dashboard, was to reduce the temptation for it to be stolen.">
    I have a Garmin "Quest" in the Azzie and a Garmin "C350" in the CRV. Garmin is a great brand! Check other forums for pictures. Can't figure out how to get a picture on this goofy site!">
    Re 18

I really wanted to try my Garmin Nuvi 660 on the flight to Cleveland but AA had it listed as a non-approved electrical device.

I bought a Nuvi 350 first and gave it to a friend because I wanted the BlueTooth feature of the 660. The Nuvi 350 is a very good unit for those who aren't concerned about Bluetooth. The screen size is only slightly smaller that the 660.
  • akoni1akoni1 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the input,people. I think that is a great way to mount a GPS, zredsox. I'll have a look at the 350 also. I'm too low tech for bluetooth.
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I'm using the MIO 310x ($179) in my 07 and for the price it can't be beat. I can get a signal with the unit on the floor of the car. It's easy to use and has most of the feature that Garmin and other GPS units. I understand that this unit is not available and was replaced with model C220
    Just Google for the best price ( was $179 at C.C. )
    LG is going to do the navigation for hyundai. Will be touch screen with audio/visual prompts. The Genesis will get a LG system but with a MMI like interface. No CD changer with the LG navi.
    Rumor has it that will be a DVD based system.
    Now it's going to be an 8 GB Compact Flash card.
    RE:31
    How are you getting this conflicting information?
    Is it rumor or fact?
    In the santa Fe forum one person said it was going to be a CF card. I thought it was going to be a DVD system like most other cars. Instead they went with a CF card. That might be a good idea. It's true that the CF card will be in there. The CF card might make for some easy updating.
  • alymacalymac Member Posts: 31
    Hi zredsox,
    Regarding your Garmin..I tried to ge the pictures to see were yoy
    mounted it ..but no luck.Can yoy explain in a little more detail
    were and how you mounted the unit? thanks alymac
  • zredsoxzredsox Member Posts: 90
    Hi zredsox,
    Regarding your Garmin..I tried to ge the pictures to see were yoy
    mounted it ..but no luck.Can yoy explain in a little more detail
    were and how you mounted the unit? thanks alymac

alymac -

Below the A/C control panel and above the console where the shifter is, there is a flip down door that covers a small storage compartment (above the ashtray). On the surface of this door (when the door is closed) is where I mounted the flat metal disk that the suction cup mount goes on. I used a 3M heavy duty double-sided adhesive tape that you can get at any Home Depot Store or Lowes Store. I then ran the unit's wire down beside the console on the driver's side, tucked it under the console side, and plugged it into the electrical port in the console compartment, under the armrest. It's been mounted here for almost a year without it coming off.

I decided to mount it in this location because I didn't want the unit high up on the dash or windshield where it would be easily seen from the outside. Just trying to take away the temptation for someone to try to break-in the car to steal it.

If you need more info on installing yours, just ask. I'm glad to help.
    I can't seem to find out why a DVD or CF card(what's that?) is better than my Garmin portable. Please explain. I'm really a novice and will probably be looking at new cars soon. Which is the better system and why? Thanks.
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    The main advantage DVD or CF is to be able to update to newer maps
    CF card is a memory chip just like whats used in a digital camera it stores information
    08 models with navigation are hitting dealers already. No CD Changer, bluetooth, or a backup camera. You do get a 605w infinity logic7 audio system. You can get it with or withouht the ultimate package.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptc452pzrmU

Veracruz version but the Azera one is essentially this unit but in a different faceplate color.
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    So, no cd changer with a navigation system in the new luxury model? SHAME ON HYUNDAI FOR BEING SO DAMNED STUPID!!! I have a TWELVE DISC cd changer in my '95 Toyota Avalon, and the changer, controlled through the dash radio, is in a little compartment on the side of the TRUNK!! Would it really take a rocket scientist for Hyundai to think of a solution as simple as THAT ??
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    No CD changer with a navigation-equipped Genesis? How's THAT for stupid? I've got a '95 Toyota Avalon with a TWELVE CD changer, controlled through the dashboard radio. The changer is stowed neatly in a little cubby-hole in the trunk!
    Yes you do get a CD changer with the Genesis. In fact you get a DVD changer. I think you meant Azera. It's an all in one unit. It only has 1 external input so you can't put another device. I know it's bad but hyundai want's to save money.
  • arminzzzzarminzzzz Member Posts: 3
    hi shippy,

same car I have but 2008 model, great car, just want to know what to know what the AUX is for on the MOTREX navigation unit??
  • dcrobbie22041dcrobbie22041 Member Posts: 15
    I've owned my 2008 Azera since July, and have received acknowledgment from Hyundai and XM about my ownership of the vehicle.

What about map updates? My owners manual package has a link to those who made the map ROMs for the car, but no updates so far. My car was manufactured in Feb. of this year.

Has anyone else heard anything about updates?

Thanks.
    Mapnsoft should hopefully have an update in January. Thats from what I have heard. The update is on a DVD that downloads to a flash rom. The hyundai navigation system in the Azera uses flash memory. The DVD is used to update the system. Hope this helps.
  • motobobmotobob Member Posts: 1
    I am currently shopping for a 2009. I am told if I give up the 6 CD stereo changer by adding the NAV package that comes with a one CD player, Hyundai does not have the USB or AUX input option? is that true and does that make sense to anyone?

Do I have to either get one or the other?

Also I note that you cannot (passenger) watch a movie DVD in the player in the front with the engine on (must be a federal law?)

Are there other ways to hook a IPOD directly to the radio by someone that knows what they are doing other than simply broadcasting it on a empty radio channel?

Strange inflexibility if you get the NAV system... bob
  • sriptonsripton Member Posts: 20
    i need to know if any 08 azera ltd nav owners have seen the back of the LG unit and could describe any additional interfaces, as well as any 09 nav owners who may have seen the back of the rev 02 nav unit in the 09. I've contacted dealers and LG and Hyundai and none have any technical data beyond the relatively poor manual provided. Before i make my arthritic hands get into the dash, I'd like to know if there is any ability to add an I/O device through the headunit without using fm modulators or such and what is the difference between the 08 and 09 headunits. The 09 does show a new revision number for the LG unit, but the units appear to be identical. a picture of the back of the headunits would make my day!!
  • sriptonsripton Member Posts: 20
    motobob, we have the same kind of question..i've "heard" there are i/o ports on "some" of the LG nav units, in fact one may be for mp3 and another might be for a HD radio module. If no one can answer this soon I'm going to pull the unit out of my 08 and see what exists on the back of the lg unit, anyone out there see the back of that lg nav unit yet??
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Considering we are in the age of iPods and MP3 players, disc changers are falling to the way side. The new Azeras and pretty much all the vehicles mentioned in this forum are going to have iPod/MP3 integration available no matter if you have the radio or the nav unit.

Personally, I love the in-dash 6 disc changer, but...with the right iPod or MP3 player...you can put much more music on one of those as opposed to 6 CD's.

As far as there being any i/o ports for customer use on the back of the OEM unit...don't hold your breath. In most cases, you will find none. Your best bet if that is the case is to either hard wire an FM modulator and go that route or use a wireless FM modulator. The last option...replace the whole unit with a nice aftermarket one that has all the bells and whistles you could ask for.
  • 2008Veracruz2008Veracruz Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any information on replacing the navigation unit in the Veracruz? Would like to put in a Pioneer AVIC F900BT but no one has a wiring harness to match the factory wiring. Also seems to be issues with the steering wheel controls and the XM / Sat receiver?
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Go to the Scosche website and get the number to contact them. The Veracruz has been out long enough that they should have one for it. If not...ask them how long it will be before one is available. I bought my Azera in Feb/Mar '06 and I wasn't able to get the harness until about October of that same year and the one I got was straight from the manufacturer as nobody was selling them yet.

If the XM receiver is separate, you may have to look for an adapter. Steering wheel controls are almost always a separate issue, but there's a company called PAC that makes adapters...check them out.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Mike
This discussion has been closed.