Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Navigation System

Comments

• rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    http://www.mapnsoft.com

M&Soft has the updates for the Azera up for pre order. It costs $200 but if you order it before the 31st and use the code PRE1 you get $80 off. Hope this helps.
  • NehptisNehptis Member Posts: 3
    I just reviewed the map updates from mapnsoft which look decent. But, does anyone know if there are any system or firmware upgrades to the Nav unit / Stereo from LG? I can't find any info on the unit at all on the LG site.
  • Larry_TLarry_T Member Posts: 2
    I was told there were no changes to the system except for map, phone number, and POI data. Many who have ordered the update were not aware until after the fact that they have to send in the CF card from their unit and wait ~15 days to get it back with the map update loaded on it. This means the system is inoperable until they get the CF card back from M&Soft. The other option is to front an additional $100 to get a pre-loaded CF card, send back the old one, and get a $100 refund. Not exactly 21st century technology.
    MapnSoft only does the map updates. I am looking for any info about updates from LG for the rest of the system.

BTW, MapnSoft sounds like it is an ultra small startup company. At least their US operations gives me that impression.
    Mapnsoft.com is the US arm of M&Soft which is a large company when it comes to mapping software. They make map software worldwide. They have 70 percent of the market share in Korea.
    Well they need to ramp up their US operations as I said. Their website has much to be desired. Not to mention their process for updating CF cards. $100 deposit or no Nav for 15 days. How is that even practical?

Look at Garmin's website and their map update process. Not perfect. But, at least I don't have to give them a $100 deposit or be without my Nav for OVER 2 WEEKS.
  • lostagainlostagain Member Posts: 9
    Just purchased Hyundai 2008 Azera Limited (New 89 miles) No navigation manual for optional Navigation package included with other operators manuals, etc. Anyone know of a download site hopefully in Adobe File format ?
    Thanks,
    Lostagain
  • lostagainlostagain Member Posts: 9
    Never mind the Dealer found the manuals. ( guess no reads these requests for help)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, actually lots of people read the posts here. Unfortunately, it might be that no one has been able to provide you a specific download site in the day and a half or so since your original post.

I'm glad you found what you needed - thanks for the update!
  • ladylindakladylindak Member Posts: 8
    I love my 1999 Hyundai Tiburon --- so I had to buy a new Hyundai - and I love my new 2008 Azera with the navigation system! I have noticed - alot - that my navigator is WRONG ... it has tried to have me turn - where there are no streets, had me go in the wrong direction .... etc. I am technologically challenged --- and I am not even certain how this "miracle" works - but after reading the posts on this site (thank you) - I think I understand ( a little) more about the system. Am I right in understanding that I am going to have to "update" this system periodically? If so - how (Geeze, I hope it's not complicated) - where do I get the information and how often do I have to do it. ANY information you can give me will really be appreciated! Drive Safe. ;)

Linda
    You don't have to update the nav. You can if you want to. The update kits are on backorder so yeah. The Updates are on a Compact Flash card and not a DVD. If you ever do update use the CF card option on Mapnsoft.com. Using that option costs $100 more but they give you a check that makes it the same price. It makes life so much easier since the non CF card option has a 15 day turn around. Hope this helps.
    Thanks RV. I really don't want to - I've only had the car 6 months --- but since it tells me to turn on roads - that are not there .....and it told me to turn left in a tunnel last week - I probably should. I did call Mapnsoft to see if they could at least tell me if they updated my area or not. I couldn't get an answer - and I'm not entirely sure he even understood me.

I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay to have it updated. One last question - I did look to see where the card would go - and I understand that it is behind the screen - but once the screen is open - it only stays open for a minute - certainly not enough time to change the card. Is there a way to keep it open until I am finished - once I get the card? Thanks again.
    You do get a wrench to open the card slot. The instructions are on their website. All you have to do is remove the old card and put in the new one. Also don't lose the wrench since it's the only one they'll give you.

https://www.mapnsoft.com/download/content.asp?name=Download&id=3

These are the instructions. I still recommend the CF card option since it's the same price once they send you the rebate. Who wants to not have nav for 15 days.
    The nav database is made by Navteq and not Mapnsoft aka M&Soft. Navteq and Teleatlas are the 2 major companies that make US mapping data. Mapnsoft is simply a reseller of navteq mapdata for Hyundai cars. LG makes the system but it could be designed by Navicom. The Manual mentions navicom. The CF card is about 8 GB so thats equivalent to a DVD system.
    Thanks for the information RV - but according to Navteq and Teleatlas - they don't make these for the Hyundai. I wish they did because I am not pleased with Mapnsoft so far. I truely believe I have a defective card - since it frequently - but not always - tells me to turn left where there are no roads - nor have roads ever existed and as I mentioned before - in tunnels. The attitude I have got from them is "OH WELL". A technician checked out their card on one of the routes that I complained about - and told me that the route was to continue straight on the highway ( a major highway) until I reached the city I was going to. I knew that - I told him that in the first place - but the navigator told me to turn left several times ... and right several times (there were no left turns on the highway) ... and the rights would have taken me the real long way around. Anyway - their solution is for me to buy a updated card. I think they should replace the one I have - but it looks like they are going to win. :confuse:

BUT again - thank you for all your help! Linda
    Mapnsoft has a number for LGE ASC. LGE ASC is presumably the manufacturer of this system. Their number is 1-888-599-6284. LG might be able to answer your questions. The Nav manual lists navteq as the database.
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    Scripton - have you ever sorted out the darned Azera Nav ports? It has the same Nav as the Azera and Veracruz and I'm so beyond frustrated. I want to buy a Santa Fe and understand I can't buy one with Nav AND get iPod integration. Unreal.

I refuse to give up on this.
    I hear next year they are ditching the LG system for a new nav system. The new one is actually a variant of the 09 Sonata's system. That one does support iPod if you buy the $30 cable. The $30 cable is no big deal. You can get it when you purchase the car. It plugs into both aux and USB and gives you full iPod control.
    There is a guy on a forum who got a free map update from mapnsoft.com and Hyundai. It does require you to fill out paperwork but getting them to reimburse you will be the hard part. Some dealers might be able to purchase it for you as a goodwill gesture and let Hyundai reimbursing you.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    Can the navigation unit from an 08 Azzy be retrofitted onto 07?

I have an 07 & although I wanted to get the navi for my car, it wasn't available when I bought it. If an 08 Navi unit could be retrofitted toan 07, it would be perfect.

The reason I don't want to go for an after-market unit is because I want to maintain the OEM look. Plus, I want the steering mounted controls & Infinity system to work. I know there are some knock-off chinese ones on ebay, but I don't trust their quality. Would rather prefer an OEM.

Any ideas? (Also, how much do you think it might cost for the unit? I tried to find online but wasn't able to)
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Hey Wobbly...if you get an aftermarket unit with say a 6.5-7" screen, it'll pretty much keep the factory look. I took out my OEM Infinity unit and replaced it with a Pioneer unit and to this day, folks still ask me if it's the unit that came with the car. Scosche makes a wiring harness that allows the aftermarket unit to use the factory peripherals (amps and speakers). I am using the OEM Infinity amp in my set up so I could retain my center channel. However, I replaced all the speakers except for the tweeters and I removed the factory subwoofer.

As far as steering wheel controls go...you can order an adapter that will allow you to use them.

Honestly...good luck finding an OEM unit. For the same money or a few dollars more, you can get an aftermarket unit that will give you better sound, better performance and much more upgradability (iPod, Bluetooth, HD radio, Satellite radio...etc).

For the money...see if you can beat this unit here. Do some research and check Eclipse out too.

Eclipse In-dash Nav. Unit

Crutchfield sells the 6620 for $699. The 6620 is a little newer and better spec'd. You can add on XM and iPod. iPod for the ecclipse is a $100 addon. Bluetooth comes with the 6620. I'd go for the 6620 plus iPod. There are SAT radio kits for the eclipse as well.
    Guess you weren't paying attention to what actually comes with the unit I posted. For the price...it comes with the blue tooth AND iPod adapters. At any rate, the 6620 for $700 is still a good price to get a nav unit that gives you options! ;)
    allmet33, that unit looks friggin awesome! Seems it has everything I need! And the price isn't too bad. My only concern is how it would look in the car.

Btw, could you plz take a picture of your car's unit so that I have an idea as to how it would look. (Of course, after they fix your seat!!)

Thanks man!
    Wobbly...figured you might like it.

Here's a pic of how the radio looks in my car now...

Honestly, I think the full screen unit will look even better. I'm actually going to be swapping out my current unit for this lil gem...

Allmet - are you saying Scosche has a device that will easily let you bypass the amp in any aftermarket head unit to fully run things via the Infinity amp?
    No...it won't bypass the amp in the aftermarket unit. Your music will play louder at lower sound levels because the output from the aftermarket unit is quite a bit more than the OEM unit. You can tweak the sound settings to compensate for it a little bit, but ultimately...because the OEM amp is amplifying a signal that's already amplified...distortion will come through the speakers more quickly. The only way to avoid this problem...is to replace the factory speakers as well.

To further answer your question, yes...the Scosche wiring harness allows you to tie any aftermarket unit into the OEM Infinity amp. From the stereo, there's a typical 4 channel (Right/Left Front & Right/Left Rear) output that goes to the amp. The amp splits the signal into 7 channels. If you bypass the OEM Infinity amp, you will lose use of your center channel and sub unless you install an aftermarket 5.1 amp and run all new wiring or tap into the wires coming out of the OEM amp.

I know a few Azera owners that have replaced the OEM radio and kept the factory speakers in and have no problems at all. I guess it boils down to how you listen to your music. Me, I like to roll the windows down and turn it up, so I had no choice but to replace my speakers so I could enjoy distortion free music.
    That looks good, allmet! But I agree with you, I'd go for a fullscreen unit as I don't need a cassette deck as long as I get ipod hookup.

I'm leaning more towards the eclipse as the price is very very tempting. But the pioneer seems to have the ipod's clickwheel interface....

But I think I'm going to pull the trigger on Eclipse as it has the ipod hookup & BT included
    Well...the Pioneer unit I posted isn't a nav unit, it's simply a DVD unit. I don't have a need for nav since the phone I carry around has built in GPS.

You are right...the Pioneer unit does have direct iPod control on the touchscreen, which I won't be using. I'll just be loading flash drives with music and plugging them in and not have to worry about keeping an iPod charged! ;)

Good luck with your purchase. Please post pics after you get it installed and let us know what you think!

P.S. Look at PAC Audio's website and you should be able to find an adapter that will still let you keep steering wheel control functions.

PAC Audio Application Guide

Since you're shooting for th Eclipse unit, the unit you will be looking for is: Part Number: SWI-ECL2

Steering Wheel Control Adapter
  • msazzyindcmsazzyindc Member Posts: 118
    Allmet I lub you, but ARE YOU REALLY AN AFTERMARKET salesman? I mean really???? :shades:
    I like the 605w Infinity Logic 7 and would need that as my amp unless the head unit offered the same or better. I heard of an in/out converter or something and need to look into it. Anyway....

Any pics of this installed would be fun to see.
    MsAzzy...to answer your question, no I am not an aftermarket salesman. However, I do car audio installations as a side gig, but I don't own a shop or anything like that.

I've been passionate about car audio since the late 80's when I got my first car. The audio bug bit me and bit me hard. Also, when I see a good deal out there...I don't mind pointing it out to others because I know there is someone out there looking for a good deal on just that very type of thing! ;)
    Well...to be honest, getting an aftermarket unit that's producing 45 watts per channel rms would be pretty doggon amazing! LOL

Honestly, you can swap out the head unit with no problems and still get the benefit of your OEM Infinity amplifier.

Crutchfield currently carries a product that allows people to install higher powered aftermarket units in cars that have amplified systems like in the Azera. I looked and didn't see one for the Azera as of yet, but you can contact them to see if they have one or if the manufacturer will be producing one.

Like I said before, I know some folks that have replaced the OEM head unit with an aftermarket unit (straight up swap out) and kept their factory speakers in and have no problems at all.

Not sure what pics you want to see, but here...peek in my Audio System Photo Album....

Allmet33's Photo Album: Audio System
    I don't know allmet personally nor have I met him. But he's on all the Azera forums & is very knowledgeable. He has done a ton of mods to his Azera apparently & hence opinion is valued here.
  • msazzyindcmsazzyindc Member Posts: 118
    wobbly it was a joke hence the "shades", but thanks for your comment.
    MsAzzy...XOXOXOXO's :D
    I tell you what I'd like to see - is pictures of the darned amp, the head unit, and ESPECIALLY the back of the Nav. Seems like no one has pulled out the stock nav or if they did, they are not posting anywhere.

Anyone want to take a hit for the team? Pretty please? I would except I've yet to buy my Santa Fe (same Nav,etc as 2008 Azera/Veracruz).
    Pulling out the Nav will be the same as pulling out the other unit for real. Don't know exactly what you're looking for.

The amp...nobody has really messed with the factory amp to be honest. There was one poster that actually replaced his factory amp with another one he got directly from Infinity with the center channel attenuated down like 3 dB.

As easy as it is to pull the unit out...why don't you go ahead and take the plunge. I guarantee you'll be surprised at how easy it is. I've posted all you would need to make it happen. All you need is a flat blade screwdriver or a panel tool and a philips (cross tip) screwdriver...it's THAT easy.

If you're going Santa Fe...then you're in the wrong forum to be honest. However, iPod connectivity would be the same. What exactly are you looking for??? :confuse:
    Wobbly_ears...here's a pic showing how a unit with a 7" screen looks in the dash of the Azera. Pretty sweet in my opinion!!!

Actually, that looks excellent! Looks like an OEM!
    ;)

Hey Wobbly...if you want even more of an OEM look, there's a piece at Korean Auto Imports you can purchase, but the price is pretty steep ($850 and you have to add your own source unit). You would install a single din unit where the cubby is below the climate controls and the space where the OEM unit normally goes...is occupied by a 7" screen...the kicker is that it's not navigation compatible outside of Korea. So the most you could hope for is adding a DVD player and a back-up camera.

Azera In-Dash Audio/Video LCD

Allmet - My problem is I'm going to be getting the 605w, 10-speaker, Infinity Logic7. I happen to like the sound. It's vastly better than the factory 3?? watt non-Logic7's IMO.

So I do not want to nuke that amp for a crappy amp that will be built-in to the Nav I'm likely going to buy (some 4-channel whatever). I'm seeing nothing at Scosche to allow me to bypass the amp in a aftermarket headunit to fully use the external that came with the car. IDK why I'm the only one who is concerned with this bypassing thing. I don't want to dumb down my audio by being amped by the head unit.

I'm not even understanding how to pic an aftermarket nav unit to know it will plug into that amp properly. Are all amps created equal with ports?
    Okay...you're not understanding the concept here. No matter what you buy and install it is going to have a built in amp, even the OEM units have a built in amp. The difference is the output of the amp on an OEM unit vs. an aftermarket unit.

The Infinity Logic 7 amp merely takes a 4 channel signal and breaks it up further so that you end up with a center channel and subwoofer in the mix. What the Logic 7 amp also does is cuts certain frequecies going to certain speakers so that you get maximum performance from the entire system.

Like I said before, you can hook ANY aftermarket unit up and still get the benefits of the Logic 7 amp...my aftermarket unit is using the Logic 7 amp. I didn't want to bypass the OEM amp because I wanted to keep my center channel active. The only thing I said was that you would have to tweak the settings on the aftermarket unit down a little bit to compensate for the extra power output the unit has so your sound won't distort easily.

The only way you might be able to get around it would be to utilize the RCA outputs on the unit and buy the wires that have RCA connectors on one end and regular speaker wire ends on the other. Instead of tying in the regular speaker wire outs of the aftermarket unit, grab the RCA outputs of the aftermarket unit, plug in the wires and then splice the ends into the wire harness. What you would have done at this point is utilized the low level output and effectively cut down on the amount of distortion you would get.

The only time you can by-pass the amp in the aftermarket unit (only some have the feature) is by using the low level outputs (RCA connectors). Some units allow you to go in and turn off the internal amp because you're using an external amp. So...the key to make this work would be making sure you get an aftermarket nav unit that has RCA outputs for the front & rear so you can splice those into the wire harness. Don't worry about the subwoofer out on the aftermarket unit because the Logic 7 amp only has 4 inputs, but it breaks the signal up and sends lower frequencies to the sub without a separate hook up.

To pick and aftermarket unit, go out and look and see what gives you all the features you desire. Once you choose, purchase the dash kit and wiring harness from either Scosche or Metra. You can either follow the directions to connecting the wires via the instructions that come with the wire harness (or do what I suggested converting the low level outputs to speaker wire connections) and you'll be fine.

I'm not even understanding how to pic an aftermarket nav unit to know it will plug into that amp properly. Are all amps created equal with ports?

Not sure what you mean by this question here.
  • srvivor87srvivor87 Member Posts: 9
    Does anybody know if there are any other automakers offering "DVD-Video" on their navigation systems besides Hyundai, Cadilliac and Toyota/Lexus?
  • rk2469rk2469 Member Posts: 30
    That does look sweet. Is this your picture?
    No...it is not my install. I posted it so that others could see how a double din unit with a 7" screen would look in the dash of the Azera. One advantage that person has...black interior. He could put almost anything in his dash and it will look good. I have the tan interior, so it's harder for me. However, at some point after I've saved up enough lunch money...I will have a 7" double din unit in my dash as well.
    Just to bring you up to date - I did call the LG (888 #) and was pretty much told too bad and that I needed to update my navigator with their $200.00 card. They could not tell me if the card would help or not - or even if it updated my area. I was toying with the idea ....... and guess what - my entire system - navigator, radio and DVD went out. The dealer has ordered another - so perhaps it will come with the updated card! Keep your fingers crossed!

Has anyone else had problems with the 2008 Azera Navigation System? Still love the car! :)
    Sorry to hear of your complications, I truly hope that the newer unit will solve your problems. Good luck!!!
    To confirm that you got the latest map update you press Setup then Device info. That will tell you the Map DB version. The new Update is this year.
    I just wanted to give you all an update on my the navigation system that the dealer replaced. I haven't checked yet to see if it is an updated card - I keep forgetting too - BUT - so far so good. It's not telling me to turn where there are no turns and appears to be working properly.

Perhaps I just got a lemon for my first navigator.

Just thought you all might like to know.
This discussion has been closed.