Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Real World MPG

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Please report on your Enclave's mileage. Please include any details that will help others compare their mpg to yours - how much city/highway driving you do, your model (2WD/4WD?), whether you live in the hills or on the flats, etc. Thanks!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The "ordered an Enclave" posts have been moved to the triplets discussion:

golfer16, "2007 Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave" #2618, 3 Jul 2007 8:08 am
  • lwolf99lwolf99 Member Posts: 83
    I have had my 08 Buick Enclave CXL AWD for 2 weeks now. I am averaging 14.7 MPG in mixed city and highway driving in Pittsburgh PA (lots of hills). This was calculated by miles driven divided by two full tank fulls of gas. But the computer does also report almost the exact same figure.
  • billdougbilldoug Member Posts: 5
    We've had our CXL FWD for 2 weeks now. Most of the driving has been commuting back & forth to work with a few highway trips (330 miles on the odometer) Living in Florida hills are not something we have to deal with, yet we're only getting 12.6 mpg This is the biggest dissapointment with the Enclave. Any ideas on how to improve this? We traded in an '02 Seville with the Northstar V8 & it got much higher MPGs.
  • jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    What's your driving style like? I'm here in Florida too and I have an SUV (not this one....yet) and how you take off from stops and how you punch it to pass/accelerate make all the difference in something that heavy.

I hit the gas pretty hard merging onto the freeway here in central Florida with the speed at which traffic travels here, so of course, I worsen my mileage. Just a thought.
  • billdougbilldoug Member Posts: 5
    You're right,driving style can make a huge difference. We don't put the pedal to the medal when taking off/merging (majority of driving is surface streets) Have found that when your cruising along at say 60 & want to pass someone you HAVE to punch it to get it to get up & go.
    :confuse:
  • jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    Hence why I'm waiting on the Super version. I know the gas mileage still won't be fantastic, but you won't need as much pedal to get going on our highways.
  • myenclavemyenclave Member Posts: 2
    2008 Enclave AWD

First tank average in city driving was 15.5 mpg

Second tank average in city driving is currently at 17 mpg

Ran a 3 hour trip on interstate with speeds from 70 to 79 mph run average was 23.5 mpg

If this holds up or gets slightly better I will be very pleased.
  • tonyclavetonyclave Member Posts: 2
    I have 2k miles on my AWD CXL 08 and getting about 20 to 23 on mine. 70%H 30%C. I actually just learned how to get more MPG by watching the news a few days ago. Go to (cleanmpg.com) and try some of their suggestions, it did help me out quite a bit and I think you become a better and safer driver as well. I use to get just about 14 to 15 MPG before seeing this news on ABC or CBS I don't remember. I live in Colorado 50/50 on Hills, but with your CXL FWD you should even get a few more MPG then mine. Hope this help you.
  • paulh5paulh5 Member Posts: 1
    The wind deflector rattles when the sunroof is closed. The wind deflector is a piece of plastic that springs up when the sunroof is opened. When the sunroof is closed this plastic is vibrating when I drive. I can push my fingers up into sunroof cavity, and press down on the wind deflector - and the sound goes away. I'm thinking of placing some foam weather stripping in there. Has anyone else had this problem?

So far no water leaks, though:)
  • fisherman59fisherman59 Member Posts: 1
    We bought our Enclave in Jan 09, it has front wheel drive and used primarily by the wife driving to work and back. 50 miles per day Interstate driving. We've taking it on long 500 miles + trips and have only gotten in the best world 21.5 MPG.
    Trip speeds are usually around 70 mph never higher than 75 mph.
    Have read reviews where owners are getting 23 to 25 MPG and would like to know the secret to improving mileage.
    We love the car!! :)
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I have an '08 Outlook XR FWD. My average for the past week, about half Interstate have city streets but not much stop and go is hanging at 20.3 MPG. But when I can catch some nice flat Interstate without a headwind and ease along at 65-70 I can get 23-24 for awhile. Any hills or headwind and it will drop down to lower than that. I've decided that if I manage the throttle I can get 1-2 MPG more than using the Cruise Control, especially on a stretch with some hills.

One time I headed West out of Memphis to take mother home in eastern Arkansas. Had a 25+ MPH headwind. The MPG dropped down to around 16.5-17. On the way back with a tailwind the MPG climbed steadily and IIRC ended up over 20 by the time I got home.

I've decided that 5th and 6th are overdrive and double overdrive. If you can keep it easing along in these, great mileage. If you have to drop down to maintain speed you can watch the MPG on the DIC drop pretty quick. Recently on my city street stretch with 40-45 mph speed limit, I have started using the thumb button on the shifter to kind of manage the RPMs. Otherwise once I get up to 40-45 in 5th-6th it kind of seems to lug and wants to downshift easily. I seem to be able to smoothe that out by shifting up and down as needed until 45 or so and sometimes will even downshift at a higher speed on an incline.

I still like it and think it gets great mileage for a 7-8 passenger. Wife went to Gulf Coast a couple of weeks ago with her S-I-L in their Yukon and was talking about how much it cost them for gas.

Bill
  • rob1000rob1000 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2008 Enclave CXL with about 90k kilometres on it. Beautiful car, but the gas mileage is aweful and it seems to lack power. I'm averaging about 12 mpg. I had a Ranier before this and got twice the mileage also out of a six cyl engine. I have already taken it to the dealer and they can't find anything wrong with it. Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?
  • wdabro777wdabro777 Member Posts: 1
    Is it AWD or FWD? I had a almost brand new rental Enclave AWD for 2 weeks, and it was bad on gas too. I as averaging about 16l/100km in the city. Highway was about 9.5 and I'm a gentle driver ie. no racing, slow starts etc.FWD should be about 10-20% better on gas. You may find a 2-3 km stretch of flat straight road on a not so windy day. Have the vehicle to display instantaneous gas consumption and travel with the speed of 90-100km/h (55-60mph). You should be getting about 8-9.5 l/ 100km.
    If your readings are much higher than that you may try the easy things first. Spark plugs, air filter, check for sticky brakes (hand brake ok?). Is any of the wheels excessively hot after a short drive? Let us know the outcome.
  • mikeintheocmikeintheoc Member Posts: 23
    I don't anything is going to help this car.

We have owned the Enclave 2WD for 1 year and average 14-16MPG with mixed city and highway driving.

Great car, but terrible fuel consumption. It weighs literally a ton!
  • oreaz12oreaz12 Member Posts: 4
    08 awd cxl loaded 250# + cargo 47,000 miles on odometer. Last long trip 1400 miles Phoenix to

Portland Or. length of Nevada Mileage was 21.8 gas & miles driven no computer....
  • safety9285safety9285 Member Posts: 88
    For all those with Enclaves, check out the Acadia Forum on this site. You won't believe the horror stories. It is the same vehicle.
  • stigs2stigs2 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if anyone has had any thoughts recently on gas mileage for the enclave. I'm really disappointed as I seem to be getting only about 12 mpg (or 20.5L/100kms) on my 2012 cxl2 awd enclave. I also have 20 inch wheels and do all city driving. Is this normal?
  • selectdaveselectdave Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    How can the government let GM/Buick get away with false advertising. I purchased my 2010 Buick Enclave brand new. I was reassured by the salesman that the mileage was accurate... I've yet to hit either city or highway.
    Each time I brought it in for service, I was told I need to get more mileage on it. Understood, well after 5000, 10,000, 15,000 and now 30,000 NOTHING HAS IMPROVED.... I bring it up now at my service calls and it's like talking to a wall.
    I understand that one particular company is being forced to rebate owners each year for inaccurate MPG results FOR LIFE...
    Is there any such program by General Motors or what rights(If Any)do we have.
    Thank you,
    Dave
  • selectdaveselectdave Member Posts: 2
    Please see my posting #23 just prior to you. I'm upset too.
    Dave
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Dave,
    We're sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the fuel economy on your Enclave.

The EPA's fuel economy estimates are designed to allow consumers to comparison shop. Your fuel economy will almost certainly vary from EPA's fuel economy rating, which is based on a number of factors, such as weather, road conditions, your driving and maintenance habits, and your use of air conditioning. For more information on how your fuel economy can vary, or tips to improve your fuel economy, please visit Your MPG Will Still Vary and Gas Mileage Tips on www.fueleconomy.gov.

If you would like for us to further investigate your vehicle's situation with your dealership, please email us more information at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah
    GM Customer Care
  • lasvegasrphlasvegasrph Member Posts: 102
    We have a 2012 Buick Enclave Convenience FWD. Right now, it has 12,000 miles on it. Just got back from a trip from Las Vegas to San Diego. Our Fuel Economy was at 20.2 MPG for the trip (according to vehicle) all Highway there and back. Around town/city driving we get 16-17 MPG. I have yet to see the 24 MPG or even close. Cruising down the highway at 65mph on a flat road the onboard computer will read 22MPG......then drop as soon as you move up to 70mph.
  • porter_23porter_23 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    2008 Enclave, AWD I was getting 14 L per 100 km..not sure what that is in mpg. Now it is 17 L per 100km. Only thing that changed recently is a car starter was put in. Car runs fine.. any ideas?? Thanks
  • yepjimmynyyepjimmyny Member Posts: 2

I had 2011 and now 2014 AWD Enclave, City driving <13 mpg, highway good traffic 20 mpg+-.

• niwjniwj Member Posts: 1

I picked up my new 2014 on Monday and I'm still on my first tank full, showing 12 MPG doing mostly city driving. I'm not one to trust the on board computer, so I'll fill up, mark the mileage down and on the next fill up I'll do the math. I have the car less than a week and I'm afraid between my increase in payments, insurance and fuel costs it will bankrupt me.

• mgarner1234mgarner1234 Member Posts: 6

I am also getting terrible MPG on my 2008 Enclave. A lot of city driving but getting less than about 13 MGP. Really what am I driving a Giant Tahoe? Should have gone with the Toyota not the Buick. At least I bought it used. Why would anyone pay almost $50,000 for this pc of junk.