Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara Convertible Top Problems

2»

Comments

• sleconvertsleconvert Member Posts: 10
    Before buying the warranty, be sure it will cover the top. I doubt it will. If they say it does, get it in writing. The warranty isn't an extension of the factory warranty as it is on American cars..

It is actually repair insurance, sold by Toyota Finance, and it has lots of dealer
    as well as insurance policy discretion as to what they will cover. Ask them for a copy of what it covers before you buy it.
    See if you can find an aftermarket top made of a more durable fabric. Toyota uses
    cheap material for it's tops.
    Toyota uses a cheap fabric. Try to find an aftermarket product with a better fabric.
    In my experience, Toyota always denies any responsibility for problems, says you are the only person with such a complaint, and never wants to do anything they can't charge you for again.Their tops are cheap and lousy. look at tops on GM, Ford, and Chrysler cars and the problem becomes obvious.

Toyota can give Al Gore a run for his money with nonsense and BS.
    I'd suggest you try to find an aftermarket top from a custom installer. Toyota tops are
    cheap and crappy.
  • davisvicky1davisvicky1 Member Posts: 1
    I have my car at the dealer again for the 5th time. When it rains, I cannot open the windows without the waterfall entering the car....and when I open the door to get out, I get soaked. I was told in the past that its a design flaw. I was told today that this is expected in a convertible car. Would have been nice if they had told me about all this before I leased the darn thing. Its really nice when you have to pay a toll......its ridiculous!! I am trying to get them to take the car back......anyone else experiencing this same problem???
  • doodedoode Member Posts: 18
    better get used to that...I have the same problem with my 06
  • hopeless2hopeless2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 I have problems with the top leaking the smell from the vehicle getting wet and also the vehicle is rusting. I wrote a letter to the manufactor they did call make me fill out a claim form, I receive a letter back pretty much saying oh well cause its not a new vehicle they have not offered to fix it, oh an I also bought the extended warranty that dont cover it. I have never been sooooooo mad especially when I had to pay over sticker price and have a 745.00 note a month for me to be miserable. I took the vehicle to a local dealership told them I wanted to trade they were trying to put me in a corolla and still wanted me to put six thousand down and have a 600.00 note a month on a corolla. I am totally sick about this dont know where to go from here.
  • meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    It's been the same on all the convertibles I've owned.

I took a drive in a friend's Aston Martin DB 9 convertible the other night. New, the car sells for about $203,000. It rained. We got wet when we got out. That tells me it's not Toyota cheaping out to save a few bucks or forgetting a detail.

Rain gutters, like the ones on hard tops seem to be an engineering/design problem for convertibles.

It's really an opportunity. Someday an entrepreneur is going to invent a solution to the problem. In the mean time, you can have my solution for free: buy a hat.

Ducking,
    Meegwell
  • miliymiliy Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2001 Solara convertible. I have noticed that the canvas 'flap' below the rear window is not sealed down. Does anyone know if it is suppose to be this way? Thanks in advance.
    Yes. I've owned a Cadillac convertible and been a passenger in an Aston Martin convertible. Been in both of them in the rain. There's no difference between either of them and my Solara.

Meegwell
  • lucy27lucy27 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Solara new and it now has 43K miles and is 3 years 9 months old and the top needs replacement. Toyota says they will not do anything since it is past the 36K warranty, even elevated it to the regional office to no avail. The canvas is OK, looks like rumpled clothes but is OK. It's the stitching that has disintegrated and and now the material along the edge above the passenger window has come unstitched and the supports are sticking out. Also there is a small hole in the canvas occurring on both sides near the rear window where the hinge must pinch it when it opens and closes, obviously a design flaw. So Toyota's lack of proper stitching material plus a design flaw is going to cost me $3,500 for a new top. I am amazed at how they would not stand behind their product. No car should require that their top be replaced in under 4 years. My car was not garaged but it should last longer than it has. Looks like the last Toyota for me.
    I've had my 06 since July 2005, have 180,000km on it. The top has held up fairly well. Some obvious wear in isolated spots, some wrinkles from folding, but nothing major like you describe. Obviously this problem didn't happen overnite...too bad you couldn't catch it when it started during the warranty period.
  • bucwhtbucwht Member Posts: 1
    Hey folks, these vehicles are finished with steel roofs and then chopped by a modification contractor out of California. You simply won't get the same quality as from a vehicle designed as a convertible. My 10-year-old Mustang has never dripped once...now, the quality of the vehicle as a whole, maybe that's another story!
    The curb weight of the 06 conv is 3549 lb, and of the 06 coupe 3175 lbs, so there's obviously more going on than just chopping off the top. But I've read other posts about mercedes and bmw's ragtops leaking as well...just the price too pay for some open air driving...
    Before too long I'm going to replace the top on my,`06 Solara convertible. Rather than buy a poorly designed Toyota top I'm going to a top maker and getting a top with a rain gutter.

I'd welcome any ideas, suggestions, caveats, and recommendations.

Thanks,

Meegwell
  • minotminot Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2007 solara convertible, never been through car wash and the back window fell out - car us garaged - /toyota refused to replace the top. Said it is my problem. This was at St Augustine Toyota St Augustine Florida. I bought this car SLE convertible right off the showroom floor. end of my buying anything Toyota
  • minotminot Member Posts: 2
    have a 2007 solara convertible, never been through car wash and the back window fell out - car us garaged - /toyota refused to replace the top. Said it is my problem. This was at St Augustine Toyota St Augustine Florida. I bought this car SLE convertible right off the showroom floor. end of my buying anything Toyota.I loved this car - very disappointed in the dealership who just gave me the runaround. They want big bucks for new top
    We have an '06 Convertible with the same problem. Since we own it, we'll address the problem when we replace the top by having a custom top made with a sewn-in rain gutter.

Test drive any other convertible when it rains. Let us know your finding. I suspect you will find the same problem with all or most of them.

Sorry I don't have better news.

Meegwell
  • radzickiradzicki Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about purchasing an 07 solara convertible. However I have read the discussions about the convertible top and am having second thoughts. Do they have to be replaced every 3 or 4 years? If so, good- bye Solara!!!!
  • coachbrian1coachbrian1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem with my 08 Solara... did you get any resolution or closure from Toyota? Let me know so I can try to follow the same route to getting my problems resolved.
    I've got 196k on my '06, no major problems. I would buy one again if they still made them. That being said, I have not been impressed with Toyota's service, but they're better and cheaper than Nissan.
  • coachbrian1coachbrian1 Member Posts: 2
    I’m glad that you’ve had no major issues, you’ve been lucky, my Camry was a mess and now my Solara is a major source of frustration… as for being better than Nissan… that like saying I’m bigger than the tallest midget.
  • dlee721dlee721 Member Posts: 1
    wow, I was researching other convertibles..sorry to read about all these rain problems! I have a 2001 Saab convertible..only started leaking in 2010..guess I was lucky…and never had a problem with the rain getting in opening the window or door. looking for another convertible..saabs are expensive for repairs…but maybe not a toyota?!
  • sherron1943sherron1943 Member Posts: 1
    How much weight can these tops hold? I have a kayak that weighs 50 lbs. and I was wondering if the top could handle the weight. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..
  • rebeccaw1rebeccaw1 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Hi, Our 2008 Solara has the same problem. Purchased in Jacksonville, Florida at largest multi-site dealership for Toyota. Same distributor. 2008 has 58K miles. Purchased extended warranty to 85k miles and prepaid maintenance. The car was hand washed only. Last week the rear convertible glass window popped out on one side and headliner on the same side fell in. Per dealership and reputable auto interior company the top cannot be repaired, it must be replaced at total cost of 2242.00. Toyota Corporate refused to even investigate and referred me to the dealership even though it is a manufacturing defect. Of course, US Fidelity denies any coverage under the pricey extended warranty. The auto interior company manager gave me a written statement that in his opinion this was a manufacturing defect in the heat seal of the rear window and defect in the lamination/waterproofing of the top as excessive dry rot is also premature for 3 year old car. I have started claim process up the ladder at dealer and corporate. What happened in your case? Did Toyota replace your top?
  • neismanneisman Member Posts: 4
    "Rain gutters, like the ones on hard tops seem to be an engineering/design problem for convertibles. "

Not so. Many convertibles, (Mustangs and Sebrings for example) have a rain gutter sewed above the doors.

Karl at aoksales.com
  • samsolarasamsolara Member Posts: 1
    I've got an 02 that has a back window that is pealing away from the fabric. I've called a few local top replacement garages and not surprising, all seem to have different brands they use for replacement tops. So far I have quotes from shops that use Robbins, EZ on, keystone, and electron. The quotes are all within a couple hundred dollars of each other and all have about the same warranty. Since there doesn't seem to be a "Consumer Reports Buyers Guide for replacement tops, I thought I'd post here and see if anyone had any really positive or really negative experiences with particular brands of replacement tops and Solaras.

Anyone have any feedback on their experiences?

Sam
  • skivobskivob Member Posts: 1
    Way off base on the chop shop.I believe Solara was first convertible built that did not have a roof. ALL other convertibles are either chopped in house or sent to contractors. Solara was built without a top "which was a large investment for Toyota" as far as I know it was the only one at that time made that way. It took lots of extra reinforcement and bracing to give it the strength it needed. Same underbody as Camry but almost twice the weight. I worked on the special line at Georgetown Ky that put them together. You wont find a more sturdy body in a convertible.
  • mhgolfmhgolf Member Posts: 1
    I have a '07 Solara with the same rear window problem. What happened in your conversation with Toyota? And what was your final resolution?
    Thanks.
  • rebeccaw1rebeccaw1 Member Posts: 2
    After several weeks of phone calls and certified letters , polite persistence paid off. Toyota of America in California was no help whatsoever and refused to investigate in any way. However the dealership, Coggin Toyota of Jacksonville and the distributor, Southeast Toyota each contributed a third of the replacement top and we paid a third. I felt that we should not have had to pay anything and would not have if Toyota USA had been more customer service oriented considering that their own expert deemed the top was defective from the factory (bad heat seal of the rear window to the top and dry rot due to improper sealants used in the process). You would think they would be more concerned with their reputation but I guess not. Will reconsider any future Toyota purchases but think the dealer and distributor acted fairly. Our new top has a six year guarantee and rain gutters so no more drips! Davis Seat Covers aka Davis Auto Interiors of Jacksonville, did an fine job both with sticking up for me the consumer and replacing the top.
  • lucy27lucy27 Member Posts: 2
    Rebeccaw1. Would you please tell me which company makes the convertible top that Davis Seat Covers aka Davis Auto Interiors of Jacksonville used when they replaced your top? Thanks, Lucy.
  • lirwinlirwin Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2007 regarding the heat seal. I just had to have all new leather installed bc of a massive leak that appeared overnight. I am having a fit trying to get answers out of anyone. Could you provide me the names of the people that helped you?

-lou
    Has anyone figured out a way to get rid of the wrinkle lines on the cloth top? Mine are very visible above rear windows.
    2006 SLE
  • brittukbrittuk Member Posts: 1
    isolara I have owned my solara three years and started noticing that the stitching on my top was disappearing on both sides this is a garage kept car in wonderful condition other than the convertible top. Now I am seeing all these posts with so many issues it is incredible that Toyota will not stand behind its product we need to take this to the press.
  • mtoyotamtoyota Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 convertible. It's funny that you posted this. I have had problems with my stitching for the past 2&1/2years. It has been restitched 2 times on both sides. The first time I was told passenger side was problem and they double stitched on that side. Within 10 months it was coming out again. It was redone last April for the second time. Now because its been restitched it looks awful. My rep at dealership was good. He tried to get warranty company to replace top. He even made a person from warranty company come to dealership to see it. They refused to replace it and said they cover the stitching but not the material. So they made me have it restitched for the second time. That was April 2012 and so far so good but we will see?
  • gsmith1063gsmith1063 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Solara convertable and noticed the "S" on the trunk lid has come off. Any idea where I can get this or would I have to go to a dealer.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Have you checked eBay?

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• canuk99canuk99 Member Posts: 1
    Love my 2001 Solara, outside of tires, brakes and batteries it been faultless, still running of the same starter and alternator too.

However the roof is sad, and I've not found a shop in Raleigh, NC that want to be bothered to call back about the roof job. The dealer price for parts was way North of the value of the car, but a few of the online suppliers look ok.. The issue is I don't want to receive a large heavy box of junk only to find out it is truly junk.

Has anybody used a site like http://www.convertibletopguys.com/ or others to get a roof and has anybody done their own install?

Thanks
  • brucethemoosebrucethemoose Member Posts: 2
    Had a terrible time with Toyota about 8 years ago. They are very difficult to deal with sometimes. Had a broken weld in the roof of my 2003 Camry SE. Making a knocking type noise. At first dealer could not determine what it was. Then Toyota factory rep took a ride with me and dealer people. He actually denied there was any noise that was not normal much to the amazement of all the rest of us in the car. Gave up trying to get the problem determined and fixed for 6 months. Then went back to the dealer again and got lucky this time. Mechanic heard noise and immediately knew it was broken weld. Dealer sent car to body shop that foamed out the top and noise stopped. No charge to me. Toyota Corp was no help at all.
  • brucethemoosebrucethemoose Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    Check a junk yard.
  • rlb123rlb123 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had their convertible top on the Toyota Solara replaced through a company called GAHH in California?
  • bills05convertbills05convert Member Posts: 1
    Anyone tried any after market tops? I have a 05 Solara SLE and was told that my top needs to be changed, at a cost of $2450! Top was $1350 (to Hawaii) and headliner around $450... labor was the rest. Any one tried any other tops/headliners that you would recommend after trying yourself? Thank you and ALOHA!
  • ray944ray944 Member Posts: 1
    I have figured out why the back window is separating from the top on my 2006 Solara. When the top is down, the back support opens too far and it pushes the window down too far. I haven't yet figured out if this is adjustable. It popped the window out a full inch on the bottom. Black silicone seems to be working even with all the rain we have had in FL this past few months. Clearly something that should be adjustable I just can't see how.
  • mmcargrlmmcargrl Member Posts: 4
    My 2007 Toyota Solara convertible has been perfect...and now suddenly the convertible back window is leaking. My husband advised me not to drive it today due to the expected rain. OOPS. When I made a stop, I looked at the back window and realized the bottom window (glass/plastic?) had completely separated from the fabric top. Any suggestions? The top itself is in perfect condition. Thank you!
  • klattu2klattu2 Member Posts: 2
    To help with leaks... open top just enough to expose the rear seal area.
    Clean and blow out this area. Leafs and tree pollen will block flow.
    Also remove rear seat and spare tire, remove all the drain plugs so your not holding water.
    There are two on each compartment on sides of spare, one where jack is, and another under the cup holder looking plastic tray in trunk.
    If you have compressed air available, go under car and blow out drains. They are only gaps in where the body panels are welded together under rear window.
    Yes mine began leaking for no real reason.
  • beekster5beekster5 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2016
    Would someone please leave a name of a conv. top you have replaced your original and was good...thanks! Was going to order from Tops direct...but after reading their negative reviews...NOT HAPPENING!
  • musturdbucketmusturdbucket Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 SLE and the top wont go up or down with the switch. My son who works on cars and big trucks said he thinks it is the motors (2). It seems hard for me to believe that both motors are bad. Dealer wants over $400 each. Please help
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You'll need a wiring diagram and a step-by-step diagnosis. Guessing is expensive and often wrong. By all means checks your corresponding fuses and relays for this circuit.
  • dws95560dws95560 Member Posts: 1
    my 2006 solar top has just the right side sticking... having to start and stop it many times to get it to open. but works … ? is it the mechanism .. maybe loose parts