Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    No manual for the 2007 CR-V, either.

The 4-8% of the car buying public in the US who drive a manual transmission are going to be soooo disappointed. Long live the "drones" .

Indeed the drones win.

So far Honda has not developed an automatic capable to withstanding the 250 ft. lbs of torque reliably, so the 2008 CR-V Diesel shoudl come with the 6 spd manual, like the one readily available in EU.
    5w-20 not 10w-20 is better for winter.

and I use Mobil 1 0W-20, prehaps I should have spaced the Mobil 1 and the OW-20 more :-)
    It was ole blue eyes who can't do without the stick. Frankly, I think not offering a manual is a loss, but not a major loss.

Traitor

:)
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Indeed the drones win.

Maybe you should move to Europe or Asia where the manual transmission is common. In the US it is not and to call the people who buy an auto transmission "drones" is insulting. You seem to have your definition of what a real driver is, too bad it doesn't match reality.
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    1st impression of Honda's new Stream (see also Honda Latitude thread in Future Vehicles section)
    http://www.carview.co.jp/road_impression/2006/honda_stream/default.asp
    Think I prefer the new CR-V, although I would ultimately prefer the new CR-V with the Stream's 2+3+2 seating layout.
    BTW, Honda's official release date for the new Stream is the 4th of July....can you get any more American than that?! Makes me wonder if we will, in fact, see the Stream / Latitude at some point.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Hey now! I'd still prefer a manual. I'm just yakkin' from the business-dude perspective. :P
    Hey now! I'd still prefer a manual. I'm just yakkin' from the business-dude perspective.

Honda became what it is because it did not always do what the MBAs thought was right, but what engineers and people who have passion for driving thought was right. If Honda lets MBAs and accountants dictate what to do it will become another GM. And we all know how exciting GM cars are.
    Maybe you should move to Europe or Asia where the manual transmission is common. In the US it is not and to call the people who buy an auto transmission "drones" is insulting. You seem to have your definition of what a real driver is, too bad it doesn't match reality.

Hits too close to home.

Americans Shifting Gears in Smaller Numbers Click on the "listen" button.

One theory on why the numbers keep falling: drivers are too busy with cell phones and cappuccinos to shift gears.
  • esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    Good NPR bit...

In 20 years time, all cars will probably have bland CVT's, and the general understanding of the workings of power trains will be as obscure to us lazy Americans as food preparation is now.
    Good NPR bit...

In 20 years time, all cars will probably have bland CVT's, and the general understanding of the workings of power trains will be as obscure to us lazy Americans as food preparation is now.

Exactly my point, Europeans and asians have cell phones and cappucinnos as well. The real culprit is much closer to the surface. People just DON'T WANT TO EXPAND ENERGY here in the US. Anyone can interpret it whatever way they see fit.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    An article I read recently though said that Europeans and Asians are getting just as lazy as North Americans. Auto boxes now represent over 20% of sales in Europe and are growing rapidly.
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    I am willing to bet that DSG-style transmissions (electronically-controlled dual clutch automatics) are going to kill the stick shift off completely over the next 20 years or so... Eliminating the torque converter removes the AT powerloss, and it shifts so very smoothly...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Bob's blog about power loss may be of interest:

So where does all the horsepower go?

Looks like driveline losses are much less than idle time.

Steve, Host
    I am willing to bet that DSG-style transmissions (electronically-controlled dual clutch automatics) are going to kill the stick shift off completely over the next 20 years or so.

I concur. My understanding is that DSG's put the Tiptronics to shame.

Last year I went back to driving a stick after 7 years of an auto. I love stick but drive into Boston every day. The stick isn't the end of the world and I don't complain about it.

But I did take a little spill this past week and wasn't able to drive the stick. A DSG would've allowed me to still drive my vehicle. I'll have to see if my VW sales person will arrange a "loaner" for me to see if I like it.
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    For me I get tired of shifting in bumper to bumper traffic every day. I'm gunning for an automatic for that reason.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large internet Web site is looking to interview consumers who are SUV owners. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday June 20, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the SUV you currently drive.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    This was posted on the "other" site so I know blueeyes saw it. But for the others here you go. Doesn't seem like ATs are an "afterthought" to Honda.

http://world.honda.com/history/challenge/1968hondamatic/text/01.html
    This was posted on the "other" site so I know blueeyes saw it. But for the others here you go. Doesn't seem like ATs are an "afterthought" to Honda.

http://world.honda.com/history/challenge/1968hondamatic/text/01.html

This is what Mr. Honda had to say about the Automatic Honda:
    “With this car,” Honda said, “the driver only needs to hold the steering wheel. Even Fujisawa can drive it.”

I still say, the engines are designed to be used with manual, even today.

not to mention the required maximum engine speed of 8,000 rpm—twice that of a conventional engine—BW claimed they couldn’t find any AT specifications that accommodated those conditions.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Major bummer. I know we're losing this battle, but it just seems like we have fewer and fewer choices all the time. C'MON! :cry:

-juice

PS RAV4 lost the option, too. Now it's Forester and BMW X3, Grand Vitara, any others?
    Technology advances, people's needs change, business decisions come in to play, etc. Rotary phones used to be the norm. Sure some people still have them but try to buy a replacement. Same can be said about a multitude of things we use everyday including cars.

Should we all still be driving without power steering? Someone would probably say that's real driving too.

Since some just don't want to accept the norm (at least in the US) I guess they better hang on to their manual transmission vehicles.
    Since some just don't want to accept the norm (at least in the US) I guess they better hang on to their manual transmission vehicles.

Following the same logic, we can say that since 60% of the US population is overweight, does that mean that being fat is the norm?

Since majority of the US population has no clue about money and is in debt up to their ears, is that the norm?

While the rule of majority seems to be what we have in this country, sometime the un-educated, or ill-educated majority does not know what is right and what is wrong.

Like my dad has been saying for years: "If everyone else jumped off the bridge, would you too?"
    I don't really agree with those comparisons....

Manual trannies are cheaper, quicker, more fuel efficient, and more durable. All 4 of those things are important to me. That's a lot to give up. Oh, and you can jump start 'em. :)

Automatics are easier to use, but that's about it. Technology has narrowed the gap, but they are still not up to par.

DSG is compelling, but that's very expensive, and with twin clutches I'd hate to see what that would cost to fix.

Tone dialing is better than rotary in just about every way, there was no real trade-off.

Power steering? For track cars, actually, yes! In fact NA Miatas without power steering are actually sought after for that reason. Also, hydraulic systems use up a lot of power, hence we see the new electronic power steering systems taking over that technology, especially as fuel economy becomes more important.

Like I said, bad examples...

-juice
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    The fact that the Mazda CX-7 didn't come with a stick option is ominous, especially given the number of manual transmissions Mazda sells...
    Oh, and you can jump start 'em.

You mean push start them right?

Manual trannies are cheaper, quicker, more fuel efficient, and more durable.

Not necessarily. Since autos represent the bulk of the business, it's probably more expensive to design and manufacture sticks when it's all said and done. Further, since EPA testing has to be done for each engine/transmission combo and sticks represent about 5% of all sales, that cost has to be spread amongst fewer units.

As for efficiency, most autos now equal or exceed their manual siblings.

Durability - most autos go forever now.

Quicker - if you know how to drive a manual it is.

The only thing the stick has over the auto is driver participation. Soon I expect we'll be paying extra for that particular excitement.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a manual lover. But we're a dying breed.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Mazda 5
    Manual trannies are cheaper, quicker, more fuel efficient, and more durable.

Not necessarily. Since autos represent the bulk of the business, it's probably more expensive to design and manufacture sticks when it's all said and done. Further, since EPA testing has to be done for each engine/transmission combo and sticks represent about 5% of all sales, that cost has to be spread amongst fewer units.

As for efficiency, most autos now equal or exceed their manual siblings.

Durability - most autos go forever now.

Quicker - if you know how to drive a manual it is.

The only thing the stick has over the auto is driver participation. Soon I expect we'll be paying extra for that particular excitement.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a manual lover. But we're a dying breed.

You are forgetting that it is the US phenomenon. The rest of the world still gets stick. So, the R&D costs are not the case here. And the 5% figure is for the US sales. The rest of the world is about 80-90% mauals.

I never understood why manifacturers charge more for auto's. It is more of "because we can" logic. Either tranny costs money to make, but I am glad that most still charge extra for auto. Except Acura/Honda, they offer TSX with manual or auto at the same price.

In fact, in order to get a manual CR-V you have to take the higher EX trim, over the lower cost LX. So, manual in the CR-V is the performance option, not the low cost option.

Autos achieve similar fuel economy through taller final drive, which even further inhibits excintg perfomance that a Honda engine offers. If an auto and manual had the same gear ratios and same final drive, auto would be 20-30% less efficient.

As far as paying more for stick, Corvette comes standard with auto, manual is an $800 option. Sad, sad, sad.
    Yeah, I was disappointed that Mazda didn't offer a stick. I mean, the Speed6 even has a 6 speed, so you know it's right on their parts shelf.

Come to think of it, the Speed6 *only* comes in a stick shift!

rob: yes, I meant push start.

Automatics have narrowed the gap, but I'd rather replace a clutch vs. having to rebuild an automatic, it's about 1/10th the cost. And in acceleration autos fall way behind, unless you're talking about DSG.

-juice
  • lirlir Member Posts: 81
    You make an excellent point. My husband vowed NEVER to drive an automatic. He basically inherited my Accord in April, which is automatic, and literally cries everyday as he backs out of our garage. :cry:
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Member Posts: 66
    Long story short. I'm at the corner of Davie and Burrard in Vancouver BC and I see 2 2007 CRVs parked with their windows down at a corner gas station. Both were an attractive metallic silver blue not unlike the BMW X3 but lighter and nicer. The good news is that after many disappointments, Honda I think will exceed everyones expectations. The vehicles are beautiful. The word I would use is harmonious in every way. There are no squared off edges or awkward angles. The interior is the best I've seen on any Honda and nicer then most Acuras as well. The rear end is really a thing of beauty and the side silloette makes the BMW X3 look 10 years out of date. The front is interesting. There are actually 3 prominent parts. The hood actually comes down over the edge and surrounds the Honda logo which is part one. Then there is a section of horizontal black plastic slats which is indented a bit which is part 2. Finally there is black bumper with symetrically spaced bulges in it which makes part 3. The interior is beautiful. There is aluminum trim everywhere. The nicely designed gear shift sits at the low end of the center stack with a a small nav/information screen above it and radio and HVAC above that. Completely new seats and a speedometer pod with attractive fonts on all the guages. This vehicle will challenge not only the RDX but the BMW X3 and blows the RAV4 away in it's more sensual high quality appeal. They've gone back to the CRV's original design DNA, meaning it's simplicity and updated and upgraded in every way. The height of the vehicle is several inches lower but does not look small in it's overall dimensions. The engine sounded like a 4 cyclinder version of an Infinity FX when they took off. All in all....a package that is impressive. Sorry I was on the way to my gym and had no camera with me.
    You are forgetting that it is the US phenomenon. The rest of the world still gets stick. So, the R&D costs are not the case here. And the 5% figure is for the US sales. The rest of the world is about 80-90% mauals.

That holds true only if the same powertrains are sold into those markets.

Europe is now about 70% manuals and dropping fast.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    In a way, I'm glad that the '07 CR-V won't be available with a stick. Otherwise, as the owner of an '06 EX 5MT, I might regret that I didn't postpone my purchase. But now I can rest easy, knowing that I own 1 of the last stick CR-Vs sold in North America. Having spent most of my life rowing my own, I'm just too old & set in my ways to learn how to drive an automatic.
    Man you people are tenacious about your manual trannies.

The bottom line is you live in the US. The US is a automatic market. As you have said and seen, fewer and fewer manuals are available. Sorry it upsets you.

Maybe my examples weren't the best but I think you get the idea---you just don't want to accept that a manual transmission and someone who can drive one is a dying breed in this country.

I didn't want to debate the merits of AT vs. MT but you guys did it and you know what? Based on what I've read (thanks robr2) the AT comes out pretty well.
    The most noticable difference is the front bumper. The vehicles I saw today had no fog lights and as I mentioned the bumper had these evenly spaced bulges throughout. The tape on the top portion of the hood in the picture changes the whole look of the undisguised vehicle, especially with the metal portion of the hood coming over the edge and surrounding the very prominent logo. Finally, the roofline as it flows to the back melds with a beautiful curved line in the rear glass panel. Bottom line is that the picture captures the vehicle, but, and I use these words specifically because it's unique for Honda, they don't capture it's grace or it's beauty. It's really stunning.
    In a way, I'm glad that the '07 CR-V won't be available with a stick. Otherwise, as the owner of an '06 EX 5MT, I might regret that I didn't postpone my purchase. But now I can rest easy, knowing that I own 1 of the last stick CR-Vs sold in North America. Having spent most of my life rowing my own, I'm just too old & set in my ways to learn how to drive an automatic.

I would bet with 95% confidence that the 2008 Diesel CR-V will be available with Manual only. The diesel CR-V will replace the current EX manual as the only stick shifted CR-V.

This is when I plan on getting mine. That way I can laugh at all the @#$%^& who don't want to or don't know how to drive stick as I am driving around in an SUV that gets 35-40 mpg and runs on filtered used frying oil, while producing 250 ft. lbs of torque.
    I posted awhile back (#15582) wheelz4, "Honda CR-V" #15582, 30 Mar 2006 6:48 am
    that I had heard there was to be a media preview for the new CR-V in Vancouver in July. Wonder if they bumped it up a bit and that's what miamicrv1 came across? I would say that anyone in the Vancouver/Whistler area should arm themselves with a digital camera and be on the lookout!
    Nice post, miamicrv1!
    It's interesting you say that. I spoke to one of the drivers and asked him if he was with Honda. And he indicated that he was just driving the vehicle for them. So you may be right that they were just here for a photo shoot. Both vehicles had leather, sunroof and aluminum accents on the interior, so I assume they were top of the line vehicles.
    The two 2007's I saw were both Automatics and the shifter was located on the lower portion of the center instrument stack. The entire interior is much more car like then any of the previous CRVs. So there is still a pass through between the two front seats, but it's much narrower and there was no evidence of armrests or even the familiar fold down center tray....but that could have just been the angle that I was looking in from. The instrument panel is not two tiered nor digital, but very well done and more pleasing to the eye then anything I've seen from Honda in a while including the Accord
  • pogs2006pogs2006 Member Posts: 26
    Hello Folks,

I was just at a Honda dealership and the salesperson noticed that the battery was dead. He found out by trying to unlock the car with the key fob.

So after boosting the battery, I took the CRV for a test drive, but I noticed three things. First the radio didn't work, secondly that the driver's side auto window didn't work, and thirdly the warning bell didn't sound when the headlights were left on. So when I asked him about it, he said that because the battery died...the technicians would have to do some resetting of the computer that controls the radio, warning bell and the auto window.

Does anyone know if this is the case? I would appreciate anyone with knowledge of this ASAP.

Thanks,
    pogs2006
  • danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    When will Honda build a CR-V Hybrid model and do you think it will be popular? I'm hoping that if Honda does build one, it will have a regenerative device to charge up the battery while being towed behind an RV. How many like the idea of an Hybrid CR-V? I sure do.

Dan
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    The radio is definitely correct, I hadn't heard about he auto side widonw and warning bell, but it sounds logical. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the car if you like it. All items are covered by warranty.

BTW, the code for the radio should be in the owner's manual packet.
    So when I asked him about it, he said that because the battery died...the technicians would have to do some resetting of the computer that controls the radio, warning bell and the auto window.

Does anyone know if this is the case? I would appreciate anyone with knowledge of this ASAP.

More than likely, the vehicle hadn't yet been prepped. Many fuses are installed during prep that may account for some of those issues.
    I do not expect a hybrid CR-V any time in the near future. We know for certain it is not in a three year plan which started last year. That comes from the CEO.
    "So there is still a pass through between the two front seats, but it's much narrower and there was no evidence of armrests or even the familiar fold down center tray....but that could have just been the angle that I was looking in from."

If you are correct about the space being more narrow, there is no reason not to have a console. The existing pass-through was already pretty tight.
    ...are up on another forum....more or less undisguised. not sure if I can link to them....
    We've started up a 2007 discussion for the new CR-V talk - here's the link:

2007 Honda CR-V

Some of the posts in here will be moved over there to help seed the discussion, so the thread chronology may be a bit disjointed for a day or so.

Steve, Host
    If you want to talk about the current model still on sale at your local Honda dealership, please do so. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Naw, the 2006 isn't ugly in front... not near as interesting a topic. :shades:
  • easy2t2easy2t2 Member Posts: 31
    Diesel?! Very important fact. Where did you hear about it????
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    For a year we debated between a V, Forester X and new model RAV. We waited and got the RAV. I know, probably should have waited another 6 months for the new V. Anyway, I have a friend in a similar situation. I guess Honda has good financing on the 06 (soon to be old style) Vs. To me the car was fine but I do recall an issue with fires. In fact there used to be a forum devoted to it but it appears to be missing. I wanted to reccomend browsing thru this forum. I was also curious if Honda ever developed a solution to the issue? Anyone know where the forum went or care to provide an update?
    Some of the archived SUV discussions went into mothballs a while back because of some server issues. Still no ETA on getting them back online.

Meanwhile you can find some posts using search engine caches - here's the last page of posts in the Honda CR-V engine fires discussion courtesy of Google.

Steve, Host