Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry Hybrid Safety Concerns

2»

Comments

• Options
    dan143dan143 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info about the intermediate column steering problem. The deal is, I don't believe they changed the column to begin with because when I asked to see the part and was told I could see the part I was informed it was sent back to Toyota. I asked to see the invoice that the part even came in and was told they could not provide the invoice that the invoice belonged to Toyota. This will be our 5th attempt at resolving the problem. We feel that the car could be unsafe to drive because the original problem was never honestly resolved. Does anyone know if the intermediate steering column requiers grease to function properly?
  • Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Yes like any moving part it requires lubricant. If it was low on grease or the wrong type of grease was installed it would be noisy and probably have a binding effect. However, the main concern is the steering shaft. Someone at the dealership or Toyota USA should be able to confirm if the shaft was actually replaced.
  • Options
    mrpatmrpat Member Posts: 24
    from mrpat0038 to [pat85] I dont know if I am replying correctly as this is my first reply. I appreciate the knowledgable reply you gave on the EMF issue.

When we first got our 2007 tch I noticed a faint unpleasant odor. Over time I have associated it with moisture in the AC. I started garaging it with the windows open and ran it at 80 deg til it warmed up as advised in someone elses post. I had the cabin air filter changed because of the odor a month ago, no help.

Yesterday it began smelling like chemicals when the ac compressor runs. I now leave the compressor off for fear of having a bad heat exchanger. Has anyone had similar problems . Is there a tsb out on it?
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I typically have my AC on. When I do turn it off for an extended time I do smell an annoying musty odor. If I turn the AC back on it will go away. I've had mine since May 06
  • Options
    concerned9concerned9 Member Posts: 2
    In your response to emf concerns I have three problems. First, the Faraday cage does not apply to magnetic fields which are the concern. Second, the primary and return wires must be bound together as in residential wiring to achieve cancellation. In cars the return is usually through the car body and there isn't a return wire. Thirdly, the health concerns are with time varying magnetic fields and not static fields like the earth's. Typical equipment blocks out he static fields to only provide time varying or ac magnetic field data.
  • Options
    lpatterson30lpatterson30 Member Posts: 7
    For this poster and any to follow, I got rid of the hybrid camry.
    It did make me sick. I am no longer experiencing the symptoms I
    had. This was my personal experience. I did not come here with
    an agenda. No further answers to my post are necessary. Thanks to
    all who offered me assistance. For those who answer with argument
    against concerns of my post, you are wasting your time. I did not
    post this to "flame" those who staunchly believe in hybrids. I solved
    my very real issue. The End.
  • Options
    pat85pat85 Member Posts: 92
    First. on some 12 volt starter batteries, the car body is connected to one of the terminals. Usually the negative terminal, but I once had an MG with a positive ground.
    That is not true of the hybrid batteries. Each terminal,is connected to the electric motor (and charging circuitry.) Although they are not intertwined like house wiring which is 220 volts center tap and which are no longer intertwined in fuze boxes, junction boxes and wire pull boxes. The hybrid battery wires are physically close enough to cancel EMF's. look at how close he contacts are on the motor.
    In any case the Emf's basically cancel.
    As for the induced magnetic fields they are described in Maxwell's Equations. Firrst, there are no magnetic dipoles. The Delta operator times the B vector field is zero. There are magnetic field generated by a wire carrying current, Each wire induces a magnetic field according to,the right- hand-rule. If the thumb is pointed in the direction of the current, the magnetic field lines will be in the direction of the curled fingers. If you do that for both wires from the hybrid battery, current is going in opposite directions, so the magnetic fields cancel.
  • Options
    acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Yeah....what he said...
  • Options
    lpatterson30lpatterson30 Member Posts: 7
  • Options
    ff16tchff16tch Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2009 TCH with nav, 23,480 miles, the car was in storage for about 3months, now even after putting a new 12v battery, the car wont start, "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" and "CHECK VSC" message is being displayed...please help what should I do? Can I fix the problem my self? Will appreciate expert help. Did anyone have the same problem...and how was it resolved?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.