Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Engine Problems

Comments

• Hi Brian, this was completed and did not fix the problem. Well a few months have gone by and now I am having a rotten egg smell from the car. I have searched on the internet and it seems to be the Catalytic converter which from what I read from Sarah GM Customer service on the site I was looking on says it may be under the emissions warranty, I am hoping so. I still have the start issue and rough engine. I only have 20,000KM on the car so now I guess I have to back. I think they thought I was insane ahahhaa
  • Absoloutely unacceptable is all I can say. I'm in tears literally..just got off work pulled off noticed my 2008 Aveo Ls sputtered or hesistated a bit. I thought to myself it's due to the cold as I hit the expressway my engine started to rev( as if I was in Neutral and pressing the gas) but the car was not going any faster and seem as if it was starting to stall. Terrified I pulled over to the shoulder place my car in parked and then in drive, my car would not move. IN THE MIDST OF RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC IN CHICAGO MY CAR IS STALLING AND NOT SHIFTING INTO GEARS READILY. I'm just confused my oil levels are fine gas is in the car WHAT IS THE PROBLEM??? I purchased this car in trusting that CHEVY IS A RELIABLE AMERICAN MADE PRODUCT THAT I WILL GET ME BACK AND FORTH FROM WORK AT NIGHTS IN NURSING SCHOOL...HOW DIASSAPPOINTED I AM. WHAT COULD THIS BE ANYONE??? IT IS AN AWFULL SHAME THE PROBLEMS CONSUMERS ARE HAVING AND NOTHING IS BEING DONE BY CHEVY TO MAKE AMENDS AND REESTABLISH TRUST FOR CONSUMERS IN THEIR BRAND. I'm encouraging all persons that I previously encourage to look into getting a chevy STOPPPPP IM MAKING A YOUTUBE CHANNEL DEDICATED TO INFORMING OTHERS OF THE DANGERS THAT LAY AHEAD STEER CLEAR FROM CHEVY SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE!! I HAVE NO ONE TO RELY UPON FOR TRANSPORTATION AND IM LEFT IN A BIND HOPING THAT THE WORSE CASE SCENARIO IS NOT TRUE AND YET I STILL HAVE TO PAY MY CAR NOTE SMHHHH TELL ALL DO NOT AT ALL WASTE YOUR MONEY STEER CLEAR AVOID THE HEADACHE HEARTACHE AND STRESSSSSSSSSS
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,152
    unpleasedchevy,
    We're sorry to hear about this situation out on the highway and are glad that you're okay. What are your plans to get this checked into? Please let us know if there is anything we can assist with - we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Oh my! I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma! My car had been acting crazy too. When I took it in to the dealer I found out there was a recall on the spark plugs and wiring related to it. They fixed it with no charge as it was a recall & the car has been running good ever since! Mine was a 2009. I hope the information helps. Good luck!
  • On my way home on the interstate my 04 chevy aveo was not accelerating and seemed to be losing power. I got over the shoulder just before being rear ended. I had it towed and the news wasn't good. And now I find that the timing belt going is a huge problem on the 04-07 aveo. My car is dead at 84,000 miles. The shop said they could try to fix the timing belt and water pump to see if engine works, but its quite possible it won't and they would delve deeper for $2000 then to see if valves are bent or head is cracked and it might just need a new engine at 84k. I cannot believe that there are so many with this problem and we weren't informed. I am telling everyone I know to regularly google their car for problems and informing others of this problem and will be contacting the company. More should have been done! Is there a place where this information is tracked to find out how bad this problem has been???
  • Sarah,

I just bought a used 2004 Aveo on Monday. I drove it to and from work every day this week. Each morning and each afternoon when I crank it up it revs up a little high for a few seconds, I start driving and it shifts through the gears fine. Then, after about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile the check engine light and hold light comes on. Then, the hold light starts flashing. Then, I come to a stop at the first stop. Then, when I start going again it won't shift into high gear. All this time the hold light is still blinking. After about 5 minutes the hold light will go out and it will finally shift out normally. What is wrong with it?

last 8 of the vin# is 4B171427

Jack
  • My step daughter also bought a band new Aveo 2009 same problems has almost got her and her young daughter killed by losing power on a 65mph road. The car has been in the shop several times since she bought it and never fixed. The car will run right for a few months than back to being a death trap. My husband and I have always owned Chevys so when she was looking to buy a new car we told her get a Chevy boy did she get a lemon. No one will give her any help with this. The car is a lemon she is a single parent working full time and going to school can't afford another car. Where should she turn? I had hoped the dealership where she bought it would have done the right thing and replaced car they did not. Contacted Chevy headquarters asked them to do to do right they did not.
    Hi there,

Has your step-daughter spoken with anyone in GM Customer Service about her repeated vehicle issues?

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • meshell55meshell55 Posts: 6
    Did she ask about the spark plug recall? That's what was wrong with mine. It did what your daughters was doing! They changed the plugs & wires because they were the wrong size! You HAVE to go to a dealer though. Didn't cost me a thing & it's been running beautifully ever since!!! It's been over a year now. My car is is a 2009 too. Good luck!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    Hi Amber,

This member indicated to me that she is attempting to contact you via the email address in your profile.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Hi kristie

Thanks for the heads up. What was the member's name? I just want to make sure I have reached out to the correct person.

Thanks!

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    Member name:othermother

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• In 2011 my husband came home with a yellow 2010 chevy aveo. I was pregnant at the time, so needless to say, I was over emotional about how much I disliked the car at first sight. However, after the short amount of time we have owned this car, it has proven that was the appropriate response. After a long list of nickel and dime repairs, one stands out as the frosting on the cake. Last summer, it started running rough. Our kind neighbor had a code reader and kindly ran a diagnostic on it for us. Cylinder 3 was misfiring. Simple fix, change the spark plugs. My husband works 3rd shift, so he took the baby to bed for a nap so I could change the plugs. Not a big deal, I grew up in the garage. After changing the plugs I took it for a test run and it seemed to run perfectly. Now, the same problem pops up again. WTF!? Ok, so maybe I bought bad plugs. So this time around, I upgrade. Absolutely no change. It eats more gas than my Yukon and runs rougher than our garage sale lawn mower. The error code is P0303. The problem is it needs a new coil pack, and probably has since last year. So, in running almost a year on a faulty coil pack, now we also need a new bank 2 O2 sensor. Oh yay. I have too much time and money on my hands, why not? After reading up on all of this, this is almost a guaranteed problem with all aveo's. Do not buy unless they are throwing in at least 2 extra coil packs with the purchase agreement. If chevy has any professional integrity, they will recall this vehicle with all it's mechanical issues and safety concerns and fire the engineer in charge of designing the ignition coil packs. And maybe a company proud to call its cars "made in America" will actually make them in America after this chevy-dae woo disaster. :lemon:
  • puskul79puskul79 Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Hi Sara, i'm having the same issue.

VIN# KL1TD56E79B645027

chevy aveo 2009 LT 34,000 Miles

Any recalls on my car?!
  • Well now, looky looky! Wonder if this will help us out? Worth a shot!

2010 CHEVROLET AVEO Technical Service Bulletin 2012/06/01 NHTSA #: 10044380
    Service Bulletin #: SB-11290
    (PWS): GM: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. PRODUCT EMISSION RECALL. DEGRADED CONNECTION BETWEEN IGNITION COIL SPARK PLUG BOOTS AND SPARK PLUGS. THIS MAY CAUSE THE ILLUMINATION OF THE CHECK ENGINE SOON LIGHT, ROUGH ENGINE OPERATION,
    Hi puskul79,

Thank you for reaching out to me. There is an emissions recall on your vehicle. I would be happy to make a dealer appointment for you to have this taken care of. The recall information is below. If you have any more questions or would like me to set up the appointment for you please email me at socialmedia@gm.com "Attn Crystal" in the subject header. Look forward to hearing from you!

11290 DEGRADED CONNECTION BETWEEN IGNITION COIL SPARK PLUG BOOTS AND SPARK PLUGS

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
  • tlcrntlcrn Posts: 1
    I totally agree, the AVEO should not have been built to start with. I have a 2008 Aveo Lt which have been given me problem since new. So far I the following have been replaced: the computer system, the A/C air compressor and switch, the security alarm system three times, the coolant system, since the engine light kept coming on and the dealership could not figure out the problem, my car was in the shop on and off for over a month trying to fix that problem; the problem was eventually fixed by "welding a wire", the calibers and much more. In the winter, I have to drive 30 mins before it gives out heat (I live in Ontario, Canada) and was told by the dealership that was "normal". I Now I have been having problems with the brakes the past month and afraid to get into an accident as it won't brake as it should and almost to the floor. I had the calibers replaced (under warrantee), the pads, rotors, shoes brake fluid, line flushed/bleed twice within two weeks at my expense and still a problem. I then had new tires and an alignment done and still not fixed the problem. It is still under warrantee for another 1000 kms and nothing the dealership will do. I was advised by a private mechanic who used to work for GM that the problem was the master cylinder but the dealership won't hear it. Instead, I was told by the GM shop manager at the dealership j to make sure I give myself a least one car distance between the car in front of me to give the car time to brake; I asked if I should leave 2-3 cars distance when it rains? and was told "it wasn't a bad idea". The car started rusting under the grey bar on the back of the trunk and the windshield wiper arms and nothing could be done and told that was normal. I have had an ongoing issue with the passenger door not locking, and when the trunk is opened for more than one minute, the four sometimes three doors automatically locks, and when I close the trunk, the alarm goes off. I was told that was "normal for the Aveo and that my car was possessed". I was offered $3,000 a trade in although I still owe $5,200. I was told by the dealership that the motor in the Aveo were made by Dawoo and difficult to obtain any information to fix problem and GM couldn't help...how nice to hear!!
  • I am wondering if you have an update on your situation. I thought we got lucky since I found the part that was initially bad was recalled. Called the dealership and they replaced it with no fuss or questions. However, they only fixed the part, not the car. We changed the spark plugs last summer and the problem seemed to go away, it came back this summer with a vengeance. Only this time, we find out since the part was bad for so long it caused the gas to run rich, which in turn increases carbon emissions and build up in the exhaust system, which toasted the bank 2 O2 sensor. The dealership said it was not their problem and falls under "normal" maintenance. Chevy customer service basically said the same thing. The dealership wants $50 to $100 just to tell us what we know is wrong with it, $250 for the part to fix it, and who knows how much in labor. All caused by the initial bad recalled part. I am fixing it myself when I save enough for the part, and I am making an instructional you-tube video for step by step instructions on how to fix this on your own and why it was necessary to make the video in the first place. The car has only 49000 miles on it. No way it should have this many problems. And in no way is it excusable for a company not to back up its own product. Autozone said the only way to fix it was to drive it into the river, and oreilly's was shocked that chevy wouldn't fix it. When all is said and done and it is running, I am having big door signs made saying "beware! Chevy daewoo lemon! Buy a Ford!" Then I am going to drive it all over heck! If it can't be fixed, I live along a hi way and it will be the anti-aveo bill-board. I might even trailer it in parades. If I have to continue to pay for a lemon, I'm gonna get the word out and have fun doing it. Maybe my friend that works for the local news could feature it. Hmmm. :sick: :lemon:
  • eyes600eyes600 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 1.4 LT same problem had the car from new and after day 3 had engine malfunction light on, have had to keep getting it reset. It's now in FG Barnes a main dealer for chevrolet and they say its the coil pack. If this is a recall fault why haven't I had a letter from GM about this as its the same car but I'm in UK. Car has been recalled for breaks, had loads of sensor problems too. Will they repair this free for me then as it is a recall from the manufacturer??
  • barkydogbarkydog Posts: 45
    You are in the UK. Aveos in the USA have a 1.6 liter engine. Check to see whether the coil pack & spark plug recall applies to Aveos in other nations.

Do a web search, and complain, even by phone to GM if necessary. Remember, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". :mad:
  • joe437joe437 Posts: 1
    My 2009 aveo also loses power every do often and the engines codes cannot be read. Does this sound like a computer issue?
  • I have a 2009 Chevy Aveo and have had a similar problems. Of course the recall items were fixed but, later not quite 2 years into owning my car it starting studdering between 40 and 50 mph. It would seems like I was losing power. I would push down on the gas and the tachometer would spike but, the car would be losing momentum. The dealership said that I need the carbon cleaned out of my system but, it was not covered under warranty. I paid around $160+ to fix this. Get down the street and lose complete power. They say it is my catalytic converter and change it out under warranty. Seems to fix the problem. Well hear we go again not quite 2 years yet and it is doing it again. I have owned several vehicles over ten years and never had to replace a catalytic converter. I do not understand. What you are saying sounds similar did what you fixed take care of the problem. I do not know what to do but, I do not have the money to replace a cat converter out of my pocket this time. Hoping for some better info. Please contact me and let me know your results.
  • I purchased the vehicle as a certified used car from a GM dealership. Driving down the highway, the vehicle suddenly lost power. I thought at first it was the alternator. It was towed to my mechanic to who explained to me that the vehicle was not a GM but a Daewoo with a Chevy emblem on the hood. Dealership and GM are not assisting at all and felt that their right to enter a partnership with Daewoo and not reveal that to the customers trumps my right to own a REAL GM.

My mechanic is completely unable to get a new head because these things are blowing all over the place. We discovered that the serpentine belts on these cars go without warning and can and will snap before the recommended replacement time and customers are left in the lurch. My engine work is in the thousands. I have since told GM and the dealership that it is the last GM I will ever drive and I will start purchasing from another manufacturer. Previous to this, I was traveling abroad for an extend period of time and all the coolant escaped from my AC. The dealership wanted $500 to verify that I needed to recharge my system. I cannot get over how GM is treating their customers on this car. I am learning that its the Bic lighter of cars on the road and is built to be discarded after less than 100,000 miles in hopes people purchase another GM.

If anyone is going for a Class Action Suit, hit me up. I have bills for a bad braking system that needed replacement that the dealership ignored, the rebuild on the engine, work on my coolant system. I still need some work on the electrical system unless I pay this thing off and sell it. I drove the GM family of cars for over 20 years its shame how this one class of cars can destroy a reputation of an automotive manufacturer.
  • Check your mileage and have the serpentine belt replaced ASAP. I hate to recommend a $700 fix but you don't want a $4000 blown engine or a $2500-$3000 rebuilt head. Those pulleys and tensions are all plastic.
  • 2009 Aveo hesitates at 40mph on up.

I have a 2009 Chevy Aveo and have been looking for a solution for my problem. I have seen on here that people do have the same problem but no solutions are given.

1 Month ago I was driving and my car started sputtering on acceleration and the Hold light came on. Checked the code and it said misfire on 2. Ok, I changed the spark plugs and all seemed fine.

Now when fast accelerating over 40mph it starts hesitating and when you lighten up on acceleration it is fine. If you gradually build up the acceleration no problem at all.

My solutions: 1) Put new coil on (is there a way to test this)? 2) New Throttle position sensor? 3) Checked codes again today and have U0401. Which is a problem with Engine Control Module. Replace Module? 4) Is it the valves? Maybe it is not a hesitation but a backfire? 5) Catalyst Converter?

These are all the "solutions" to the problem that the people talked about before. Nothing about "This is what I did and problem fixed". So before I start dropping money, is there anyone that has had this issue and actually had it fixed?

• My 2009 was in the shop so much that I had to get an '84 Cavalier as a short term replacement! However, GM of Canada customer service backed me to the hilt before I sent the car packing. They authorized a custom programming package to fix the power loss, replaced the fuse panel that was shorting out and did a number of other upgrades to make the car into a good car. Later they even replaced the radio when it malfunctioned after the warranty was up on it. Mind you it did take about 150K before I started getting anywhere near the mileage I had expected. If you are in Toronto Ontario and have any problems with your Aveo, Leggett's Chev in Etobicoke treated me like a long term customer when the dealer from whom I bought it treated me like a non-mechanical idiot. Would I buy a new Sonic? In a heartbeat if I could get it from Leggett's and have only them service it. As I live in Picton Ont. now, this isn't likely to happen.

• Oh yeah, Onstar told me what it needed to fix the coil problem remotely.

• minstrel45minstrel45 Posts: 4
    edited December 2013

Also, my 2009 Aveo now has 180K on it and the radio again has a problem but I don't think I've a snowball;s chance it hell of getting it fix now...lol