Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Olds Aurora replacing egr valve

jwood2jwood2 Member Posts: 3
Just found out that I need to replace my egr valve and that it would be $245, so now i decided to do it myself. What I want to know is how hard is it to replace the egr valve,is it as simple as taking the old one off and putting the new one in. The cheapest i found was at autozone, is that a good idea. The year is the 95 model

Thanks

Comments

• jwood2jwood2 Member Posts: 3
    Wanted to know how hard is it to replace the spark plug wires on a 95 aurora
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    J,

How do you know that your EGR should be replaced?

I pulled the EGR on my '97 last year to check for gunk buildup; it was amazingly clean. Replacement is fairly simple.

The experience of most posters to this forum is to use nothing but ACDelco replacement parts. I do not know the price for an EGR. Check on-line if you can wait a few days for delivery. RockAuto is good. I have no affiliation with RockAuto except as a satisfied customer.

Les
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    J,

Replacing spark plug wires on the Aurora classic is not as hard as it looks at first, but it does take some time and patience. I have done the replacement once and am considering it again soon (the 100,000 mile interval claimed by GM is wishful thinking for the majority of us). I assume you will be replacing the plugs at the same time; use nothing other than ACDelco for plugs and wires.

I recommend removing the ignition module with the four coils attached. The '95s have a black shelf-like thing above the coils. I have never been able to find out what it is; no other years had it. I do not know if it will cause you a problem.

After removing the ignition module and coils, you will be able to reach behind the rear cylinder head to get at the spark plugs; you will not be able to see them. A socket set with a good complement of spark plug socket, ratchet, extension, universal, etc. will make the job easier.

Be sure to set the gap on all plugs. It may have been 0.050 or 0.060 inch for '95.

Good luck!

Les
  • jwood2jwood2 Member Posts: 3
    I just had a diag check on it from 2 repair shops,and they both said it was the egr valve. Plus the car was dieing on me,the you wait a few hours and its ok. Hopefully I can find one at a good price.
  • thatguy2thatguy2 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please help me. I've just spent $2100 on a transmission rebuild because it was slipping. I had some gears, fourth hub and torque converter replaced. Afterwards, my engine light comes on for the first time. The test kept coming back saying that there is no electrical problems. Long story short, my RPM gauge randomly works, my engine light is on and it has even cut off while backing up. Also, the gas hand is no longer working. :confuse: Somebody tell me something. Does this crank sensor have that many functions?
  • jasrob22jasrob22 Member Posts: 1
    I had my spark plugs changed the other day ever since it has been hard to start , it back fires, and runs like crap, please help me with this problem
  • papabeerpapabeer Member Posts: 2
    had a code on my 97 aurora ,said it was the egr valve so trying to wait till payday and just as soon as i gave it gas up hill the ces started flashing real fast and the car felt like it was running out of gas . as soon as i let off it ran fine. then when i went to start it later it just cranks and doesn't fire at all.