Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Acura TL vs. Nissan Altima

13»

Comments

• jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    haven't done anything with my headlights, whatever the factory put in there is whats there. If its something important to you, I'd deffinitly arrange to driv one at night, its very hard to describe it. Its not so much that they arn't bright, it just seems to me that the areas to the side of the car are not lit very well, and the the lights don't project out very far. It's been my experience that most cars I've owned, they're wasn't that big a difference between the high and low beams. Hi's have always aimed higher, and provided more light, but it seems with my altima, the difference is huge.

It could just be me, but seeing as its very important to you, I'd deffinitly look into it.
  • jaeger1jaeger1 Member Posts: 43
    If you're that dissatisfied with your headlight performance maybe you should have them checked out - could be that the aim is out of spec. Mine work great - much brighter and a wider area of illumination than my '01 Maxima. I don't have HID's - Canadian sedans do not come with them even as an option.

I agree that any vehicle that one is seriously considering should be test-driven at night. That is car-buying 101, yet overlooked by many.

Jaeger
    Its not that it's so horrible, just not up to par with other cars I've owned. I may get it looked at though, as It will be going back to the dealership soon for the air filter recall.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    This will now become more difficult, looking at the dealer inventories that I had found two SL's that I might be interested in , the cars are gone. Most nissan dealers have very few SL's dont really think they order that many.
    Wonder when the 08 sedans will start to arrive so they can build inventory.
    But I do notice that my local acura dealer has 56 TL's,many nissan dealers dont even have 56 altimas total. Seems like many acura dealers have a lot of TL's some have over 90.
    I think acura better up the dealer cash more,and put the lease deals back on,the 08 TSX's are on the lots and the 08 TL's can't be far behind.
    On another nissan site there seems to be a few problems cropping up with the push button start failing, and also problems with the I key, makes me want to think twice about the push button start. I know the I key problem may be due to cells phones,
    Old Mike
    I recall one guy posting about a push-button start problem that he could never get to recur - I'll have to look around and see whether this "problem" has since expanded to "problems" that other owners are experiencing.

The i-key issue is well documented. If your i-key is directly adjacent to certain types of cell phones WHEN THE PHONE RINGS - your key could get zapped. Replacement i-keys will be issued in the fall to all owners. Until then, it is a mere inconvenience (for some) to simply avoid putting phone and key in the same pocket.

The key problems are regrettable to be sure, but the fix is in and having experienced the supreme convenience the i-key / push-button start setup I would never go back to the old ways. Every time I drive my wife's Honda and have to go through the exertion (kidding) of pressing a door-unlock button on a key fob, sticking a key into a hole and cranking it.. well... it seems decidedly Jurassic. May sound silly, but remember when power windows were thought to be pure luxury frippery? Can't do without them now, can we?

Jaeger
    On another nissan site there seems to be a few problems cropping up with the push button start failing,

I think it was just one person, If we're talking about the same website. as for the 08 altima's, I think they'll be out in about a month.
    One had a chip replaced another had a problem which seemed to resolve itself. Yea we are talking about the same site.
    I am an internet junkie.
    Sat in an 07 Accord today at the dealer just to compare to A TSX, the Accord interior is very nice, really went there to ask about the 08 they say mid september which agrees whith internet forums. Also sat in an 07 Altima charcoal interior which is also very nice, but got real bad attitude from a Nissan sales guy for wanting to do that, seems like this is a real cutthroat dealership and he was not my regular sales guy,regular sales person was a kid that grew up in my neighborhood. Nissan probably lost a customer over this, seems like they do not do sales training 101 with their people. Will probably look at TL now. Old Mike
    You can't go wrong with a TL
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    Jaeger; I took a 3.5 SL out yesterday, wow very impressive, Sure gets up and moves better than the TL, but tis steering is so numb and sensitive. Wonder if the SE is any better. I too now am waiting ont he Accord, have seen goo pics latley and liek the look. I suspec the Accord will handle better than the Altima or at least give a btter steering feedback. I come form 3 TLs and am not sure what I am going to do. The Altima Bos is a bit better than the TL ELS. The TL Nav while not as feature packed as the Altima in my mind is a btter nav. The Altima forces you to do either the command through voice or the numeoris cluttering on screen menus ont he nav map. TL has a clean map display and you invoke functions through buttons. Sur eI guess buttons are money, but the smaller cluttered screen on the Altima is of concern. Also Honda is the only MFG I have seen that treats us like grown adults and lets u us the touch screen while the car is moving. While too expensive and gas hog the soudn system in the new G35 is awesome, clean an powerful through the entire power band.
    If anyone is still reading this thread, I finally bit the bullet and go a 07 base TL.Very nice car, but does have torque steer, it is fast enough for me. Tires are crap, in the rain from a stop making a left you can spin them real easy even with trying to be carefull with the gas. May take a little getting used to. Love the interior, HID's. Did not like the looks of the new 08 accord. Test drove an 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee of which I have had 4 new ones over the past 10 years, they have trashed the interior and the V6 feelt slower than the old I6, so no jeep for me, also drove Volvo S60 real nice but not many 07's left to choose from,seats are the best. Not many TL's my dealer only had two, I got a red one, Old Mike
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Congrats! Hope that red doesn't attract too much attention from the law-enforcement types. ;)
    Congrats Old Mike - happy driving.

Jaeger
  • rich102rich102 Member Posts: 7
    You did the right thing. I almost bought an Altima 3.5SE with bluetooth and leather then realized for a few thousand more I could have an Acura TL with MUCH better repair and reliability records... in the end it was a no-brainer. I love my 2008 TL.
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    I currently own 04 TL. Had it for almost four years and it’s almost paid off. I am looking for better performing 4dr sedan, but can’t find anything.

The other day I drove Altima 3.5SL sedan, and I hated it. Too much body roll, tires were spinning when I stepped hard on the gas, and the car skidded when I took a left turn from the stop light. It seemed like the car couldn’t handle the HP.

Today I drove 3.5SE sedan. Ahhh, what a difference!!! Suspension and handling are similar to TL, but the engine and CVT are so sweet! It is much faster than and smoother than TL.

Basically, if performance is your only criteria, 3.5SE (not SL) is a better choice over TL. However, TL interior is much nicer than Altima. Here is the problem, I am 6’1” and my 12 year old is complaining about rear leg room in the TL. According to specs, the rear leg room is similar; however, when I adjusted my seat in the Altima, there was less rear leg room than in the TL.

Secondly, I am concerned about Altima's reliability, that’s why I tried to lease it. They quoted me $477 per month with 0 down for 36 months. That’s on 3.5SE with premium pkg. and VSC no NAV, which invoices at about 28K. Such a high lease payment means low residual and resale value. BTW, they appraised my 4 year old TL w/ 30K miles at $20K, excellent resale value.

As far as pricing, base 07 TL has $2500 dealer cash. I bet that 08 will have it also in a couple of months. That puts TL’s street price at 29K (invoice - $2500). Similarly equipped Altima 3.5SE with premium pkg. and VSC invoices at $28K, 1k difference. As I said, Altima has better performance, but TL is more refined, nicer interior, better reliability and resale value. If I were to choose one now, I would wait for 09 TL. :P

BTW, I also test drove $36K Passat V6. 3.5SE is overall better performer, firmer suspension, more powerful engine and smother transmission.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Unfortunately, that $36K Passat V6. 3.5SE is built by VW :sick:

If you worry about reliability...look elsewhere.
    I am sorry, the last sentence in my post wasn't clear. It should have said:

BTW, I also test drove $36K Passat V6. The Altima 3.5SE is an overall better performer, has firmer suspension, more powerful engine and smother transmission.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    You guys questioning the Altima's reliability are nuts. In '02 when they first starting making Altimas in the new US factory there were some issues, but they've been fine since them.

I have an '03 Maxima I wouldn't trade for the world. It is ready to roll 50k miles, and is 100% squeak/rattle free. Never had a problem with it.

Maybe I'm strange, but I think the new G's interior is much nicer than the current TL's.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,674
    Not strange at all. Personal preference...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    And I agree with him! :P ;):blush:
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    the G is a newer car
    Doesn't really matter. Personal preference is just that. It isn't right or wrong for anyone but the individual. It just is.

IHMO, the interior of the '05 TL was far superior to the interior of the '05 G. Haven't had any up close and personal time with the '07 G interior, but from pix it looks like an improvement.

Current TL exterior is still much more handsome than the new G, of course... ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    Perna, I also had an 03 Max GLE with 17k miles, which I sold - or more like gifted - to a very close relative of mine last year. The Max is a nice and trouble-free car, but when compared with the TL, the latter wins hand down, especially in the technology and handling depts. I also cross shopped the G when I bought my TL, but I chose the TL because it suits me better. The TL's FWD is better suited for the snow belt than the RWD G, which, though handles better, is pretty much immobilized in the snow, unless you equip it with AWD or snow tires.
    Well, the Consumer Reports reliability ratings for 08 models just came out. Altima V6 is below average. Not be outdone, Camry V6 is even lower, 40% below average. Looks like I am keeping my first model year TL for a while
  • dfossedfosse Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Nissan Altima and am having problems with having a dead battery. Three times it has happened and when it does you can't get in the trunk unless you enter through the back seats. I now find myself with a battery starter in my trunk and a coat hook to reach the lever to release the trunk lid. Very discouraging. I have 24,000 miles on my fully loaded Altime 4cylSE. I have been told that if you .happen to accidently push the off button twice it will engage all the relays and electrical system. Each time my battery went totally dead in less that 3 hours making the keyless entry system worthless. Speaking of the intelligent key, this is the most worthless gimmick I have ever had. Will never own a car without a key.

Anyone else having similar problems. I am now looking at an Acura TL or G35 Infinity.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Anyone else having similar problems. I am now looking at an Acura TL or G35 Infinity.

...had an '07 G but now an '08 G + '07 Altima, don't have any problems with either the remote or the battery.
  • bv050506bv050506 Member Posts: 97
    Is there any chance you got it too close to your cell phone and got it screwed up like others with that debacle? I love that feature and have never had any problems on my '07 3.5SE. Almost sounds like there is a short someplace?!?! Your story sounds like ahuge pain in the butt however and can easily see ahy you'd want another car. Good Luck!
  • omelet1978omelet1978 Member Posts: 10
    I just got a 2008 3.5 SE, and a friend of mine has a 2005 Acura TL. I've driven his TL a lot, so I figured I would toss in my two cents here. I think that if you take a loaded 3.5 SE with leather and Nav it beats out the regular TL and even the TL-S. The TL is a very nice design and if I could go back to 2004 I would have even bought one. However, the Altima has 3 years on the TL and as we all know the bar is raised every year. The intelligent key, the push button start, the lack of torque steer, the better acceleration with similiar gas mileage, and the fact that it would be b/w 5-10k less than the TL makes the Altima a winner in my book. The TL-S is impressive, but for that price you might as well go ahead and by a 3 series which is way ahead of both vehicles.

One thing the TL has over the Altima is the interior design. The Altima's interior is much improved with a very sharp looking gauge cluster and some quality molded plastic, but the center stack has some budget plastic. Overall, it is very sharp looking, but the TL has it beat. It has higher quality leather and some really nice silver accents that make it look really slick.

Interior quality aside, I feel I made the correct choice in getting a high end Altima. In 2009 a new TL is going to come out though, and I have a feeling it is going to be an impressive vehicle.
  • 08tl4xmas08tl4xmas Member Posts: 4
    TL wins:
    - Exterior looks
    - Interior styling - feels sexy
    - It's unique (Altimas are everywhere and all trims look alike on the outside)
    - It's an Acura (plus for me since I'm a honda guy, but hey everything in life changes, eh?)
    - Memory seats (seriously Nissan - wtf?)
    - Voice command actually works (seriously Nissan - wtf?)

V6 SE wins:
    - More power
    - Better feeling ride (personal preference, I know, and unusual coming from a honda guy)
    - Keyless fob thingy - cool as [non-permissible content removed]!

What to do, what to do. For almost a year now I've been waiting for what's next... the next Accord to come out (I hate it). The end of the year (TL deals galore - where are they). The 09 TLs to come out. Meanwhile the Altima has come out of left field and attracted me. Why oh why couldn't they put memory seats in them? My short wife and I drive this car equally - memory seats is a must. What to do, what to do.
  • skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    TL deals galore - where are they

Um, nearly $2K under invoice isn't a good deal?
  • omelet1978omelet1978 Member Posts: 10
    Well if memory seats are worth the 6K more for a TL then by all means. I personally would just remember where I liked my seating position, but then again I don't have to adjust it everyday.

One thing though, TL's are pretty common too. I see them all over the place. Also after driving a TL and then the Altima back to back I think the Altima is more fun to drive. Good luck with your decision.
    Rather simple:

TL-S for you.
    Altima SE for the wife.

Now, was that so hard?! ;)

And yes, unfortunately, I see more TLs than I'd like. But they are a handsome beast! Especailly mine, resplendant in multiple-coated Zaino Abyss Blue! :D

Memory seats (seriously Nissan - wtf?)
    - Voice command actually works (seriously Nissan - wtf?)

one word, infiniti. Am I the only one that finds it odd to compare a luxury car to a family sedan? :confuse:
    Not really. By comparing you decide which type/level of car you desire. Then you have to decide is it worth the potential greater purchase price for the (entry level) luxury car (TL). Also, he may be choosing FWD, Infiniti is RWD (or AWD which, in addition to benefits, adds weight and complexity. Reducing performance and mpg). I see it as a legit comparison: two powerful, handsome, FWD four door sedans...

My next car choice may come down to the Audi S5 or new Jag XF. Some may perceive that as an odd comparison, but I have to compare/drive/evaluate to help decide if I want two/four doors, AWD/RWD, manual tranny/auto, German/British...

Or the Jag XK. Yeah, sure.

• smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Hi, I currently drive a 2008 Base TL; while I love this car inside and out one thing I find is that the ride is a little too firm for my taste but that was to be expected with its double wishbone suspension; my family is looking to get another car and have been looking at a Altima 3.5SL or 2009 Maxima SV without the sport and premium packages; what I wanted to know is the ride quality better or at least a little less firm than my 08 TL on both the altima or maxima? and does anyone know between the altima 3.5SL and maxima SV without sport package if one car over the other has a little bit smoother/better controlled ride???
  • derek23derek23 Member Posts: 1
    everybody should read your comments. Excellent post.
This discussion has been closed.