Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Air Conditioning Questions

Comments

• alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    My goal was to save you needless work, I'm glad it came together like it did.

It will probably start again. Just a matter of time. It is a small plastic gear that loses some of it's teeth. Right now it has enough engagement to still catch the mating gears. I thought my issue had gone away also, only to have to fix it later. The easy one isn't bad, 10 minutes.
    Here is the procedure for removing the trim in the back (this is for an 04 Navi which I found in another forum...). I was wrong, there are a few hidden screws;

1. Remove the C-pillar trim panel

2. Remove the D-pillar trim panel

3. Remove the liftgate scuff plate by pulling upward

4. Remove the rear floor loadspace trim panel (jack cover)

5. Remove the floor jack assembly

6. Remove the pin-type retainers (holding the carpet) and pull back the carpeting

7. Remove the two bolts and the loadspace trim panel by pulling upward

8. Remove the third row seat safety belt anchor bolt

9. Remove the rear quarter trim panel pin-type retainer

10. Remove the second row safety belt anchor

11. Remove the rear door scuff plate by pulling upward

12. Fold the third row seat down

13. Remove the rear quarter trim panel by pulling outward.
    If equipped, disconnect the power point and power third row seat switch electrical connector at the rear.
  • reyereye Member Posts: 1
    All, trying to figure out why my 2006 Expedition is blowing cool not cold air. I've had the system purged and recharged but still no bone chilling AC. Any idea's ?
    Front, back or both?
  • camountainscamountains Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I just had a very similar experience with a 2010 Expedition bought in February 2010. We'd used the AC occasionally with no problems, and had about 4300 miles on the odometer, when in mid-July the AC suddenly failed. Driving down to the valley from our California mountain home, we turned it on, and it made a terribly loud whining sound. The sound stopped when the AC was turned off. Once in town, after parking the car, my husband started the engine, turned on the AC again, and the engine immediately shut off. The car would only run with the AC off.

We took it to the nearest dealer, and had to rent a car. The dealer phoned the next day and said the compressor had to be replaced. They attempted to turn it by hand and found that it was locked up. The compressor had to come from Back East, which took three days. They then found that they couldn't flush all the metal bits from the rest of the AC system, and had to order more parts. The tech's notes mention replacing the resonator and the compressor and various other parts. Looks like they were able to flush out the two evaporators.

We got the Expedition back after a week, and the AC has been working. Ford paid $90 toward the 7-day car rental as "goodwill for parts delay".

The service rep said that it was a factory problem. He said the fluid in the compressor was underfilled.
  • stee01stee01 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2006 expedition..I also have this problem with the A/C,Can anyone help us?!!!!! Please!
  • khines2khines2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ford Expedition, and last week i noticed that my AC wasnt blowing cold like i should.. but after driving it for a few it was cold again so i didnt worry to much about it.. within a few days, there was no more cold air no matter how much i drove. I finally took it in thinking it would need to be recharged, and they told me that the front seal on the compressor was busted and that i would need a whole new system. They gave me a quote of $1500. I was just wondering what insite you guys can give me on this. Also if i am getting a fair quote in your opinion. I would like to fix the issue myself to save some money, but not sure if i can cause the machanic made it seem like a lot of work. thanks for your time..
    Not sure what a "whole new system" is. A compressor will run you 600 or so bucks.
  • stee01stee01 Member Posts: 2
    My a/c WAS going to defrost when the OFF button was pressed.and you could'nt lower the speed.The fan ran on high at all times.Now I can press the off button and it cuts off,but will only run on high now.Any suggestions...This is my first FORD I've ever owned..
  • cadman6cadman6 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had to replace my a/c compressor, accumulator and a/c manifold. I replace all these parts but now my front vents don’t work. Only the defrost ones work. Also my rear a/c blows out only hot. Anybody know how to fix these problems.
  • jints12jints12 Member Posts: 1
    05 and just replaced new condesor... a month later the front vents dont blow...air comes out in rear and top...
    The issue with the front vents is likely a vacuum leak. There are vacuum hoses that run under the battery tray and they tend to get corroded and leak. The rear is likely a broken blend door actuator. The gear in the actuator that moves the blend door is plastic and breaks. $50 part, depending on how flexible you are it could be a 15 minute fix or a two hour fix.
    When you say "up top" you mean defroster? I'd say vac leak for you also.
  • gary1122gary1122 Member Posts: 2
    2002 expedition-----No recycle air settings--Is there a way to close off external air flow and still have hvac system operate properly?
    What are you trying to do by doing this?
  • gary1122gary1122 Member Posts: 2
    Have bad allergies. Drive pass an area of blooming gold rod and it gets miserable. Shutting off system helps but by the time you see or feel it, it's to late.
    Ah. That makes sense. I don't have any help for you though, I'm not sure where it draws from. I was thinking you might be trying to fix an "AC not cold enough" issue.
  • uakhlaquakhlaq Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have faced the same problem last month not only that I got a Check Engine sign also. I went to Ford Dealer they told me that It might be a vacuum leak or sensor issue but you can drive your car.
    I continue my investigation and finally with a blessing of God (Allah) I am able to fix my car for less than $12.
    In short front vent doesnt blow the Air b/c of a Vacuum leak all you have to do is to check the vacuum leak. Ask you mechanic to check the vacuum leak on the carborator pipes.
    Hope this will resolve your problem.

If you need any help send me email at Ukan2006gmail.com.
    I will upload the video soon on Youtube
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please, do not include your email address in postings to the Forum. Thanks.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • alwaysblesssedalwaysblesssed Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    Im have the same problem but without the noise. I would like to know what to do and if so the steps to fix it. 2002 FORD EXP LXT V8

Thank you in advance all your help.
    Is it a problem with the floor to ceiling selection or the temperature? There are two blend door actuators in the back, one controls each of those functions.
  • dought88dought88 Member Posts: 3
    The problem is with the temperature when I stop. It starts to blow warmer air. If I am moving, it blows cold air. Someone told me there may be a filter or something that needs to be periodically cleaned or blown out??
    Is your problem with the front or rear?
  • wade21wade21 Member Posts: 5
    I've got an '02 expedition and its next to the firewall under the starter solenoid coming out of a cylindrical shaped object facing the engine. It has a black plastic cap. It's tough to see and reach.
    replaced both rear actuators. Rear air starts cold then quickly turns warm. I've read all of the threads on here, seems that most problems are the actuators.
  • dought88dought88 Member Posts: 3
    The problem is with the rear. When I am driving, the rear air blows cold but if I stop, the air starts to blow warmer. The front air always blows cold. A friend said someone cleans out a filter or something every year on hers but she didn't know where the filter was?? I didn't know if maybe since I live in Alabama and the temperature gets so hot here during the summer if maybe when I stop the heat from outside the car heats up the air going through the top air vents in the back of the car.
  • tobo2tobo2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Expy. The AC has just starter changing from dash vents to defrost vents when you put engine under a load. Sometimes if you let off the accelerator it will change back to dash vents. I have heard this is a vacuum leak. Does someone know for sure what this is and if it is a vacuum leak where are the possibilities of the leak and what is the fix. I have a shop trying to sell me an $800 part to fix this.
    Its from the ceiling. I turn the a/c on from the front and its cold but when I turn on the back its always warms like the outside air. Im trying to avoid paying hundreds of dollars to fix. So if I can get some help from others that has had this problem it would make things easier.

Thank you in advance for any help.
    That's a vac leak. Common spot is where the vac lines go under the battery tray.
    What happens when you adjust the temperature knob, do you hear clicking or thumping in the rear passenger side?
  • ldsnbdldsnbd Member Posts: 1
    my 04 exp. is stuck in the defrost mode. no other vents will blow air (in the drivers area).
    I have this same issue. I did not have a thumping / clicking noise but I changed both actuators since I had the trim torn out anyways. Still can't figure out why I'm getting ambient air out of the rear a/c. When the temp is turned to hot, the air gets hot, as expected. When turned to cold, the air cools down(ambient air) but not air conditioned.
    no I dont hear anything
    Do I have to replace the vac hoses totally? and what is the price I will have to pay to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Doing some more research, sounds like it could be a clogged / failed rear expansion valve? Anyone have any experience with changing a rear expansion or even suspect that it could be causing unconditioned air to blow out of rear vents?
    Changed out the rear expansion valve. The kids complained last night that they were too cold.
  • logoksterlogokster Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I have a 2005 Expedition with similar but maybe slightly different rear ac issues. A little over a month ago I had a clicking and thumping sound coming from the rear. Based on forums I narrowed the problem down to the air blend actuator which controls the floor to ceiling air flow. Then yesterday, I started hearing the clicking sound again when in the rear ceiling setting. Did my actuator really go bad in a little over a month? On top of that, last night (about an hour of driving after the clicking started), the AC in the entire vehicle stopped working. So front and back blows out warm air when set to the coldest setting and hot air when set to hot. There is also a new noise that started when the AC turned warm. I am not good at describing sounds but maybe like a whistle / grinding. Kind of like when your brake pads are wearing down, I think it is related to air flow. Weird thing is when you hit the throttle the sound changes pitch but comes back. I do not believe the side actuator which controls the temperature is bad but who knows (there is no clicking from this and I can feel it turn when I change the temperature).
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Is the new noise coming from under the hood? It sounds like the A/C compressor is going out and that is why you have no cold air. On mine the A/C stopped working and it turned out to be fuse number 11 in the fuse box by the passenger kick plate. It was a 10 amp that controls the compressor clutch. After a month it blew again and upon independant mechanics advice I put a 20 amp fuse in and so far it is still working. I suspect the A/C compressor clutch is getting close to failure and it is drawing more than 10 amps when it kicks on. You can check to see if the clutch engages when the A/C is on look at the front of the compressor under the hood to see if the clutch cycles on and off.
  • logoksterlogokster Member Posts: 2
    Thanks cob for the post. The sound is coming from the back right on my expedition. If you know where the two actuators (air blend and air temperature control) are located in the back right, it sounds as though it is about a foot closer to the hatch than those. I am not sure what is located here that could be causing the sound? When I look under the hood the A/C compressor does engage when I turn the A/C on.
  • rjh10rjh10 Member Posts: 1
    Wade21 - I have what I think is the same problem with my '02 Expedition. I haven't been able to find any information on how to replace the valve, or even where it is located. Can you provide any advice?
  • dsullidsulli Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 expedition. Sometimes the a/c fans do not com on and sometimes they com on several minutes after I start driving. Rear works fine. What's up??

I was just about to have the car appraised for trade and this happens.
  • debisdebis Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 XLT Ford Expedition, the check engine light came on & at the same time the air condition just stop working(all of sudden this problem just happened and my truck had been running fine). The truck is hesitating now and the a/c is not working, and the rear a/c is blowing just HOT air...please HELP!! I live in TEXAS Yikes...its hot outside...

Thank you in advance :(
  • kjunmamikjunmami Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing a very similar problem as Debis. Same yr make and model. Engine light has been on and i noticed a noise from the front ac like a low thump when id turn it off before and it only seemed to work good on max ac unless we were moving. Accidently went through a puddle that was deep an it splashed pretty high and since then the max ac doesnt blow and only blows on the normal setting when moving although it blows cold still. Now a few days later the back ac whoch wa working is only blowing warm air. We check all the fuses and all seem fine. Any suggestions oradvice is greatly appreciated as it is extremely hot outside!
  • brewdalebrewdale Member Posts: 1
    I am having a hard time finding a replacement window for the rear passenger side quarter window on my 2003 Ford Expedition. The window also has an antenna inside it. Do any of you have a website or company that I can contact. Local dealership wants upwards of $700.00.
  • jensue6jensue6 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    My rear air stopped doing anything today. It won't blow hot, won't blow cold, won't blow at all. Could it be a fuse?. 2007.....model I know there are fuses under the hood, but are there any inside? Manual says there are, but can't find them. I have 88K on it now.
  • kjunmamikjunmami Member Posts: 2
    There Should b fuses inside generally they are on the driver side above the emergency brake. And yes it could b a fuse. Ur manual should tell u which fuse is for what. They are hidden behind a panel but that panel should say fuses or something on it.
  • jensue6jensue6 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, automatically starting blowing again yesterday, but today has stopped again. Where is the blower? Can I kick it?
  • kajunqueenkajunqueen Member Posts: 1
    thanks cob and logokster for the post...I have a 2006 Expedition (51,500 miles) excellent condition...but today air completely started blowing hot, front and rear, but I got the same whistle noise coming from the right rear side of the truck. Was just wandering if you found out what that problem was? Last year spent around $900 getting something fixed with a/c, have to look at receipt to make sure what technical problems was, but it was under the hood...so if anyone has any suggestions on what may be causing this problem, please reply. It had the whistle sound which turned into maybe like a rattle snake sound (I literally pulled over to make sure nothing creepy was in the back). Taken truck into Ford place in am and would like a little knowledge of the problem. Problem noise is in rear, but causing hot air in front and rear. Thanks anyone with any suggestions...
    I'm in need of a few parts as well. I have been using Craigslist for spare parts. I see a lot of parts on there for these Exp
  • 1josey1josey Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where the Heat Control Valve is located in the 02' Expedition, 5.4L-V8?