Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Torrent Ignition Problem

Comments

• deb81deb81 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I had to get a ride home from work today because the key won't turn in the ignition. I also have the sound coming from underneath like 2 thuds when it is cold. This is my third Pontiac and I have always loved them but this one I am not to sure about.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    deb81,

I apologize for the issue you are experiencing with your ignition. Were you planning on taking the vehicle into the dealership to be looked at?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • col072col072 Member Posts: 1
    I, too, had the same ignition problems. My key was stuck in the ignition and won't let it turn. It had to be towed to the dealership. The whole ignition assembly and housing had to be replaced. Also, the turn signal relay was shorting out.
  • jordomom8jordomom8 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Pontiac torrent wont start, two weeks ago this happened at my son's daycare, the key turned and the lights came on but it wouldn't turn over, after letting it sit for a half an hour it started and has been running fine since , until today upon leaving work it happened again, my car is now stuck a town over. I am a single mom and don't have money to bring it to a shop does anyone know what it could be?
  • pt74pt74 Member Posts: 5
    Ok, a bit of an update:

(1) the power lock issue was indeed a torn wiring harness.
    (3) ABS/traction control was a faulty module, cost me about $300 or so to fix.

Haven't gotten the sunroof fixed yet, it's bearable and not critical.

But - the check engine light came on a few weeks ago and the garage initially thought it was a loose 'snorkel' tube in the gas tank. Fixing that did nothing, so I brought the car back and now the diagnosis is a shot 'ERG' (?) valve which will be about $300 plus $60 labour. Again, not a safety/drivability issue but it will need looking after soon.

Plus, we did a long weekend road trip (about 1500 miles over 5 days) and at the halfway point, a loud grinding noise started to come from the front wheel area. It was present at all speeds but got louder with acceleration. I didn't want to interrupt our trip and made it home, but my guess is that it's a front bearing. I'll find out tomorrow at the garage. Sigh.
  • ptproblemptproblem Member Posts: 1
    Just came across this Forum and thought "hey what a great place to air my woes!". So for my wife's graduation (and every other special occasion for the next 4 years) I (we) bought her a brand new 2008 Pontiac Torrent. Wow did we feel special it was great, video player in the headrests for the long trips to Ottawa (2 kids 7 and 9 at the time) Chrome handles and running boards, trailer package to pull the tin can around, Onstar so she was safe and had roadside assistance, we were happy :) Then.....about a year and a half ago she calls me on her way home from work and had shut off the car for a train. Wouldn't start, turns over starts, then stops running almost immediately. Try's again and again nothing calls onstar tow truck comes try's and says sounds like a fuel pump issue. Takes it to the dealer we wait till morning as it was after 5 and they say there is nothing wrong car starts fine. Few months later same issue again towed suggested that it is a fuel pump issue still when it gets to the dealer it starts fine. The "Cold Start is a quote from the service rep when listing the problem" Well november rolls around and we are close to the end of our warranty and it happens again this time it doesn't start for the dealer. They decide that the main fuse block needs replacing. Great problem solved! and just under the wire for the warranty women says I was lucky because it was a $7000 fix!
    Wipe the sweat from my brow and drive away :).......:0 what..fast forward a few months and the problem is back again problem does not show its ugly head for the dealer after a tow. Off we go on a trip to Kenora this past July Stop for gas in Wisconsin car won't start :( same problem... so I roll the car forward as a towtruck driver had suggested in the past that might jar the fuel pump and low and behold it starts! back in the car and off we go we get to Kenora and stop for the bathroom 5 min from the hotel... car won't start. Roll it back and forth and eventually it starts but not as easy as the last time oh oh. We get to the hotel and there is a dealer next door so I figure I would take it in first thing in the morning. Wouldn't start, I roll it still no start...On star to the rescue! tow me over two driveways. The dealer was great, was a busy Friday but was able to fit me in, problem was it started so.... no problem found. I mentioned the fuseblock replacement and he did some more tests still nothing, he moved the car around to the side of the building and parked it on an incline. Went to start it and bingo no go. (don't really think the incline had anything to do with it) He opened the main fuse block re seated the fuel pump relay and it worked. He said that he didn't have the part and I should be ok to get home. Off we went a few days later for the two day journey home we had problems every time we turned off the car, but re seating the relay seemed to be working got home phew... Went out to take it to the dealer in the morning and no amount of re seating or wiggle would work, car no start. Onstar to the rescue.:) Dealer want to test and charge even though I already paid for the testing at another dealer he takes the paper work and says leave it with me. Turns out yes they believe that the block is a bad block and needs replacing again and yes even though the vehicle is out of warranty the part was still under warranty. They replaced it and life is good. That was three weeks ago, we have had two cold start issues since the last one yesterday and the re seating of the relay seems to work. Problem is this has been an issue for almost two years now and in a few months I am helpless without a warranty. (we even had an extended warranty). Well thats my rant, I am going to call the number that was listed a few posts back and see what GM has to Say.
    Thanks for listening.
    ptproblem,
    Have you spoke with Customer Assistance yet? If so, can you please send me your case number? Can you please include your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • pt74pt74 Member Posts: 5
    Christina, with the utmost of respect, what can Customer Assistance do that a dealership can't? You often suggest that people contact GM Customer Assistance, but what's the point? As is typical in almost all of these threads, 'ptproblem' has visited his dealership more than a few times without a satisfactory resolution. Is there some secret super-power that the Customer Assistance operator on the other end of the phone use to fix the problem?
  • sgtvsgtv Member Posts: 5
    This is a pretty nice vehicle, but I to have had door wiring harness issues were the wires broke of inside the rubber boot. ( out of warranty of course by 358 miles) Now I am having the problem of not starting, and the dealer has told me that I would pay 90 bucks per hour while they tried to find the problem which is intermittent. I am going to clean the battery teminal tomorrow, and see if that does anything. The ignition has always been kind of hard to turn, and sometimes sticks and it must be forced back to the run position. I think the ignition may be the reason that I'm having starting issues with my Torrent.

This not starting stuff is really irritating, and the starter is hidden up under the vehicle in a hard to reach position. If cleaning the battery terminals doesn't work, I will attempt to remove the starter to have it tested. Of course everthing that has went wrong was right after the warranty ran out. YeeeHah!

Oh yeah I forgot about the heater core leak. $800.00 to replace. If we are all having these same problems, why is there no recalls on this vehicle?

Add me to your list of names; R. Vincent Jr., and I bought mine at Foreman Blair Pontiac in Springfield, Ohio.
    Don't feel like you're alone on this one. I have been having the issue just like you describe for about two weeks now, and the dealer has already advised me that if the vehicle starts when they look at it, then they won't be able to fix it. It will start after about ten-fifteen attempts. Sometimes it starts right away. It's frustrating knowing that the dealership will charge me $90 per hour to diagnose the problem if they can find it. If not I will still have to pay. I am just going to try to clean the battery terminals, and if that doesn't work I'll pull out the starter and take it in for testing. A starter only costs about $100 after the core charge. What's a guy supposed to do that is unemployed. Maybe I'll just sit down and have a good cry,,,,,, lol.
    pt74,
    Dealerships are independently owned and operated. When you speak with Customer Assistance they are working to come to a resolution for both the customer and the dealership. When you speak with customer assistance you are reporting your concerns to GM. For instance, let’s say you have 30,000 miles and you go to the dealer with intermittent concerns, but the dealer is unable to duplicate it. This interaction is not documented anywhere with GM. Now if you were to call Customer Assistance, they will try to involve technical assistance to try to diagnosis your vehicle as well document that you were experiencing the concerns while still in warranty. Now if at 40,000 miles the problem is apparent and they are able to diagnosis and pin point it, there is documentation that you were experiencing this concern while still in warranty; this is just one example. Another case I came across last week a customer went to the dealer for the concerns. There was a special coverage for the concern that was not yet updated in the dealer’s resource as it was new. I spoke with him as I do many of you, and we were able to direct the dealer about the special coverage and get the vehicle fixed. Each case is different with different circumstances, so we evaluate things on a case by case basis. Customer assistance has different tools and resources to try to resolve customers concerns and situations. I hope this helps.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mpomeroympomeroy Member Posts: 1
    Need help with a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. The issue is an intermitent no crank condition. It started out as very rarely to now being almost everytime we go to use it. I have experience as a GM mechanic and have the priveledge of still having contact with some very good electrical/driveability techs at a local GM dealer. I have spoken with them extensively and still have not been able to nail down the root cause of my problem.

To date I have replaced the ignition cylinder housing as I believed the passlock was an issue. The light would come on when there was a no start condition. if left for 10 minutes then it would normally start with no further problems. That did fix the theft light problem and it still does come on at times but if we're on a good day then it will still start despite the theft light being on.

The no crank condition still happened a few days later so I removed all wiring from the remote starter and replaced the ignition switch on the ignition housing. This repair was benneficial as it made the R.A.P. start working again. It started perfectly for about 2 weeks but then it has started acting up again and will not start (no crank) more often than not. I have thoroughly inspected, wiggled, pulled, disconnect/reconnect all wiring components related to the ignition and security under or near the steering column.

I have replaced the battery and inspected the cables and ends. I checked all fuses and relays and swapped the ignition relay with another of the same number.

I have removed the starter and cleaned and inspected the terminals. The car DID start after this was done (Tested it about 20 key cycles) but then would not start again after it was driven for awhile.

Today it started fine and i function tested aproximately 40 key cycles and it started every time. I ran some errands but left it running the whole time for fear that it would not restart. The passlock light came on in the cluster and once home i turned it off and it restarted ok. tested aproximately 40 more key cycles and it started every time. The only thing that may be of note is that the starter did seem to drag 2 times in the 40. Otherwise it started and ran perfectly.

I am at a loss as to where to look next. everything I have done has seemed to make a difference at least for a little while.

Just to confirm, this is a NO CRANK condition. It is not the cranks but will not fire problem many have complained of.

I have not had this vehicle in to the dealer for this complaint since we purchased it in May of 2010. I am confident in my trouble shooting skills and as mentioned i have a good relationship with some very good GM techs.
  • dahlbpmndahlbpmn Member Posts: 12
    I think I was one of the first to post with this issue. I have a 2006 with 107K miles on it-one owner. Mine will still not crank on occasion but I have found that if I step on the gas a little when I retry, it will start every time. That makes me think there is something going on between the gas and the starting mechanism. I am not a mechanic, just my observation.
  • marks53marks53 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a brand new torrent in 2007, it now has 36,500 miles on it. I have had nothing but problems with the check engine light, abs light, and traction control lights. I have had this car in numerously for repairs and still having problems with it. I am now into the extended warranty for repairs for the same problems during the factory warranty. Again it is in the shop less than 2 weeks later for repair for skipping -jerking, and decrease of RPM power when hitting speeds of 35 to 40. I was told a spark plug and wire, which i had to pay for to replace, and it is still skipping. The dealer is no help, i am getting tired of taking the car in for repairs, ( 5 times in a 3 week period) and getting nothing done. they admit there is a problem but don't know what it is, what is up with that? The service manager has an attitude and I am just so frustrated with it. I also get the grinding noise at the left front wheel as well. I have not had the time to test on the interstate the ERG valve that has been supposely replaced just 2 weeks ago to see if the traction control, check engine, and abs lights are repaired. I am tired of the car just being put on a computer to check and being told nothing is wrong, and the computer just being reset. What is there i can do to get these issues resolved? this is time and money and i am so annoyed with the problems.
    oh yeah, i also have a problem with the key sticking in the ignition when turned off. They told me they lubed the ignition but i still have the issue
    marks53,
    I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. Can you please email me your complete contact information including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, dealer of choice, and a description of your concerns and experience? I look forward to your email!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina, I have emailed the information you asked for. I don't know what you can do, but you are right, when I take the car to the dealer with a problem, and they cannot duplicate it, there is not documentation that goes with that. That is frustrating as well because then there is no receipts available to show how many times the car has been at the dealerships for recurring problems. However at this point in time, we will no longer buy a GM product. When you get attitudes and constant returns for recurring repairs, and then being told nothing is wrong, or it is normal (when it was not normal until a month ago, IE: skipping and decreasing RMP) it makes you feel you are not important and don't know anything. I do not have the time to keep taking my vehicle in for repairs, and not being able to rely on a car that only has nearly 37,000 miles for my job is not an option.
  • 06torrentde06torrentde Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to let you and everyone else know about the " crank but no start issue". If you try to start your torrent or equinox and it just keeps cranking, and you have more then 60,000 miles on it, you probably need to clean your throttle body out. I found on my torrent that there was a build up of carbon behind the butterfly in the throttle body. Since this vehicle has an electronically controlled throttle if the motor can't open the butterfly then the car won't start. It is no air causing the problem! Now, I work at AAP and have found a lot of customers with the same issue. The easiest fix is try spraying in throttle body cleaner into the throttle body while holding the butterfly/flapper open. This is normally only a short term fix. The best way is to remove the entire throttle body and clean it in a parts washer solvent. If your to lazy or inexperienced to try that I found that a good seafoam treatment through the brake booster vacuum line works best. You can You tube seafoam if you want a visual on how that is performed. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, if you ever get a check engine light on, always check the plastic pipe that goes from the main air hose, around the back of the motor and into the valve cover, because it probably popped out!
  • lukoluko Member Posts: 6
    I also am having problems with my 2006 torrent. It started about 4 months ago, I will be driving down the road and the car will just die out, Then trying to start it it will turn over but not start, After you times you can smell gas from the exhaust. If the car sits for a week or two it will start up and the same thing. today, After the car has been sitting for a month dead in the driveway, I made it about half way down the driveway and the car died, Same thing now, It will turn over but just not start, I have replaced the battery, Map sensor, Crank sensor. the dealor is of no helo even tho i have had the car less than a year. So i am paying for a car that i can not use, I am working with Pontiac to try to come to a resolution. I would have to think that someone may have an idea of what it is because it seems so many people have this same issue. Does anyone have any ideas!! Thanks!!!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning,

I am very sorry to hear about the frustrations you're experiencing with your Torrent. If I understand correctly, you are already working with Customer Assistance on this? If you would like to email me your case number, I can look into the situation and give you whatever updates are available.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • chinook_1chinook_1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent - I have been having this problem for several years & am getting very frustrated with it. I had a remote starter installed and as I live in Alberta, Canada -it is always nice to get into a warm car. I have had the plugs changed, I have tried fuel injector cleaners in the gas, I have taken it in to the dealership & they said take it out for a good burn - I do a lot of driving - I use Premium fuel - I really love my vehicle - but, this is getting really frustrating. Suggestions????
  • torrentofabusetorrentofabuse Member Posts: 3
    "Will start - but will not catch - give it gas & it starts" - This is the exact symptom I experience with my '06 Torrent.

What to do, eh?

Live with it, or get rid of it.

I really like the vehicle, and will drive it until the wheels fall off. Did I mention I just had the Right front wheel bearing replaced? The Left one was replaced under warranty soon after I purchased it.

Feel the Love ....
    Chinook1,

I would recommend getting into contact with GM of Canada (customer service for our Canadian drivers). They can be reached at 800-263-3777 and are open M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm and Saturday 7:30am - 6:00 EST.

Torrentofabuse,

Have you had your Torrent diagnosed before by a dealership? If we can assist in looking further into this for you, please send us an email with more information, including your name/user name, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a description of your concern in better detail.

Many thanks,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I have contacted GM and must say that they have been great in helping deal with the dealership,
    The stepping on the gas trick was not working on my car, After talking to the dealer this morning the computer in the car is giving 10 to 12 different codes, Was told it may be that the computer may need to be recoded. As soon as i have an answer ill let everyone know what it was with my vehicle.
  • mikel0169mikel0169 Member Posts: 2
    i to am having same issues as most people. check engine light came on after lots of rain and remained on untill i got to garage. my mechanic goes outside to take car in and the check engine light was off. he performed scan and it came back with transmission control module but it had cleared itself. he believes it is caused by a bad coil pack giving a false reading to transmission. is this possible. and after talking to another mechanic he says it could be the fault because they put out so much voltage the wire partially burns and doesnt get good contact. any info would be great.
    Sometimes the check engine light can be triggered by moisture (for example, if you had been driving through some puddles when you had a lot of rain), but I am glad to hear you're getting it check out. Are you working with an independent mechanic, or is this a GM dealership?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mikel0169mikel0169 Member Posts: 2
    took in to indepdant garage and problem has been fixed for now. but we will see for how long. my problem was lights would flash bk and forth on column, from park to l4. doors would lock and unlock itself, problems shifting gears, the scanner gave bk a transmission control module. but he did not think it was that. i read somewhere that the ground wires could be dirty so he cleaned them and the wire at the motor he cut bk 4 inches, added a short piece of wire and new connector, and added an extra ground wire from motot to battery. when he started it up everything was bk to normal. and code cleared itsel but like i said we will see for how long.
  • melindamom2melindamom2 Member Posts: 1
    I know what you are saying in re: to repairs. Sunroof leaking and replaced, electrical short fixed 2x, power window motor replaced, heater mechanism replaced, windshield wiper shortage, ignition replaced, CD/radio shotage and fried, replaced, seats do not recline. The repairs have almost cost me as much as the car! My 2006 only has 45,000 miles on it and I bought it new, very close to seeking legal advice. Have received no help from the dealer. This car is definetly citrus!
    The dealer has determined that my issue is a wire in the wiring harness. It is costing me around $700 to determine this, My father in laws GMC truck just had the wiring harness replaced under factory recall, It is a GM product, So is my torrent, What is the chance that it is the same harness, His is a 2005 and mine is a 2006. I dont currently have the 700 to give them so in the mean time my car still sits there, But i will say that GM has been great in trying to get the dealer to finnally respond.
  • lindseymialindseymia Member Posts: 1
    Hi did you ever find out what the problem is? My car is doing the exact same thing. I am very frustrated.
    I did, It was 1 wire in the wireing harness that went back to the computer, It wasnt making a secure connection at all times. It cost me 700 for them to figure it out
  • 2006torrent2006torrent Member Posts: 12
    I found that due to change in outside weather it tends to sweat in gas tank. Water in gas tank caused my starting issues. I used Heat to get rid of water in gas tank and started using BP gas that has Invigorate in it and haven't had problems since.
  • isis_aisis_a Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Pontiac torrent wont start, 3 months ago this happened, the key turned and the lights came on but it wouldn't turn over, after letting it sit for a half an hour it started and has been running fine since , until today, it happened again, my car was stuck & I had to have it towed to my home. The tow truck driver tried jumping the car by connecting it directly to the battery & it wouldnt start. Lights & radio still work. After bringing it home I tried to start it again, the car made a weird clicking noise that sounded like, for lack of a better description, a time bomb. It lasted for less then a minute & sounded like it came from somewhere near the fuse box. After that I can only lock the doors with the alarm, not manually & the windows roll down/up very slowly. I disconnected the battery to try & reset the it, nothing. I am a single mom and don't have money to bring it to a shop does anyone know what it could be?
  • kamsophiekamsophie Member Posts: 3
    Want to hear something really funny?? I just replaced the front right wheel barring 9 months ago. It is now out AGAIN!!! and now they say the left one is going too!!! Within the first 6 days of buying my torrent brand new off the lot i had it back at the dealership for:
    1.gas gauge wasn't ready as full when it was. the fuel sensors were bad and had to be replaced.
    2. day time running lamps flicker on/off and then always stayed off. the sensors for them were bad too.
    3. the spoiler on the back was not put on secured in place properly and one side fell off when i was actually driving down the road back to the dealership.
    4. The paint on the driver side completely pealed off when they did the auto butler on my torrent and then they accused me of having my car painted and that is wasn't done properly and its not their problem. To top that off when i showed them i had only had the car 2 weeks and it was brand new they said oops we made a mistake and never really could tell me why or WHO painted my car and why being as it only had 400 miles on it when i bought it.
    5. the computer went out withing the first 3 months and had to be replaced
    6. the shocks that keep the back hatch up stopped working in the first month as well.
    7. the spoiler AGAIN was making noise like wind was catching it when i was driving down the road so it had to be replaced. FOR THE 2ND TIME!!
    8. the seals around the driver side door and rear hatch had to be replaced,. they actually fell off when the door was opened and the back i went to put my grocery in there and the whole back was soaking when cuz it had just rained.
    8. lastly, my heat stopped working. the fan would blow just cold air like the air condiitioning was on and when you moved the thermostat know you could hear it changing. Dealership was going to make me pay almost $1,000 cuz my warrenty had just run out by 300 miles and the car only had 60,000 miles on it. luckily i found someone to do it for free. literally had to stip the dask down to the metal frame and the part was just like $30 and they were gonna charge me a $1,000. WTF??

so need less to say i am sick and tired of this damn car. I am a single working parent whom lives paycheck to paycheck and literally cant affor to buy 2 wheel barrings at $120 a piece to only have them last a fricking year!!! then to find someone to put them in total cost of almost $600. i dont have $600!! and how the hell can a wheel barring A. only have a 90day warrenty and B. go out every 9-12 months!!!????

Pontiac should be footing the bill for this not me!! this car is most certain a lemon and i trying taking it back to the dealership 3 times within the first month of having it and they would not work with me at all to get me a new vehicle and they said that the few things that were wrong did categorize it as a 'TRUE' lemon so they pretty pushed me out the door and said 'to bad so sad for you my friend' if i had the money to get rid of this vehicle i would but i cant. can someone please help me and let me know if any of these things are under warranty or recall please>???!!!!!

so, to say the least this vehicle has been a complete money pit!!
    edited August 2012
    My 2006 Torrent still LOOKS great! The problems are ignition, (I've replaced the starter twice, and again having starting problems), Front wheel bearings both sides ( I've never ever had to replace bearings on any other vehicle that I have ever owned), Mine stopped heating about 3 months out of warranty, and the dealership already knows what it is without even looking, it's the heater core and will cost between $900- 1000.00 to replace it. The door wiring harness is a joke! I've paid twice to have it repaired. The window stops working, the radio stays on after you turn off the car, and sometimes the door unlocks by itself. I don't have the money to keep up with the problems on this car. We should be able to do something about it. Who can afford an attorney for a class action lawsuit?
    If we can look into this issue with your wheel bearings further, please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership (include if you would information on when your wheel bearings were replaced last).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Have you already spoke with Customer Assistance in regards to this concern? If we can look into this further, please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership .
  • shandelashandela Member Posts: 1
    Our 2006 Torrent has been running very loudly for a while (suggested to us it could be a hole in the manifold). Yesterday my husband had the car running and was about to leave when he decided to turn it off to see if he could see a hole or anything. After looking and not really seeing anything, he went to turn the car back on but it would not turn on. It clicks when turning the ignition on, a whirring kind of sound comes from somewhere, but nothing happens. Tried to jumpstart it but it never did anything else. Tried jumping it using the remote terminals and directly on the battery terminals. When the doors are open, the dome lights fade in and out (never actually going off, just dimming) Someone hooked up a battery meter or whatever it is called which showed that is was fully charged.

This morning I checked it out again, "just in case" and it still did the same thing. In addition, I also saw/heard that when I turn the key on but not to the start position, the seat belt alarm did this weird rapid ding before settling into it's normal sound pattern. Also, the radio display light would dim in and out like the dome lights while also making this single click sound periodically.

Before this, we haven't had any major problems. A few random times the car wouldn't want to fire the first time or two of starting it, but on the second or third try it would start. Haven't had that issue in at least a few months.

On a side note, the car was not driven from mid-June to mid-August because we shipped it overseas and we are now in Italy where any repairs are going to be very expensive if done by a repair shop, so I would like to have some ideas of things we could try on our own first.
  • isiahlandonmomisiahlandonmom Member Posts: 1
    I just a couple of weeks ago bought a 2006 Pontiac torrent. Most of the time it won't start, I am so frustrated I bought this vehicle thinking because I need a very reliable car for my many trips to see my sons neurosurgeon due to his health issues, and I am scared to take it out of town due to you never know when it is going to start. I noticed that quite a few people have posted about theirs not starting at times as well. My husband tried the sea foam stuff in the gas tank and the brake booster. I am so frustrated that I am stuck with this piece crap vehicle for years now.
    Hello isiahlandonmom,

We're sorry that you've had so many difficulties with the Torrent you recently purchased. Did you purchase this from a dealership or from a private party? Let us know if you would like for us to check for any recalls on your vehicle (we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com - please include the last 8 digits of your VIN).

• aireheadairehead Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem. In 2010 (while still under warranty) the dealer replaced the rear wiper motor because it was faulty and draining the battery. Didn't have a problem for a year at which point the car was just dead in the driveway. boosted it and performed parasitic draw test with no unusual draw but replaced the battery. ONE year later (almost to the day) the same thing happened. Boosted the car and took it to the dealer who diagnosed it as bad battery. They charged me $45 to test but since battery was under warranty it was replaced free. Less than a week later it happened again. Another test performed (no cost this time) and no problems found. FOUR DAYS later it happened again!!! This time I told them to keep it there until they find the problem. I'm not too optimistic but I am fed up. I'll never buy another GM product. I agree with those who say that GM should at the very least find out what the problem is and issue a TSB or even better, cover this problem even out of warranty since it is obviously a defect.
    Good morning airehead,

Have you heard anything further from your dealership? If you would like for us to check into this further, please email us more information at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• masshole2masshole2 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 2006 Torrent brand new. Worst investment I've ever made. Can't wait to get rid of it. I agree, I will never buy another GM car again. I've had the same problem with starting the car. It just will not turn over sometimes. You have step on the gas pedal a few times, (like old cars used to before starting) then it will turn over but the smell of gas is bad. It even smells like gas when you are just driving. I've had to replace front wheel bearings on both sides and the car only had 70,000 miles on it. We had a 2000 Toyota Echo for 12 years with 330,000 miles on it that we never replaced these kind of things. We just now junked it because it needed a new converter and just wasn't worth putting $800 into it. It was a standard and we never even had to replace the clutch. Ugly, but great car. My next car definitely will be a Toyota. I know I should buy American, but they don't make it easy. Never again GM.
  • masshole2masshole2 Member Posts: 4
    I, too have had to replace wheel bearings at 70,000 miles, both sides, not happy. I bought the car brand new. Same problems with starting the car as everyone else here too. The smell of gas sometimes is overpowering. The car now has 86,000 miles on it and I can't wait to get rid of it. As for the wheel bearing, whoever heard of replacing bearings on a new car with 70,000 miles on it. I have had many many cars over the years and this is by far the worst. Never again going GM.
    Good morning masshole2,

We're sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been having getting your Torrent started, in addition to the wheel bearing replacements. Have you ever had the start-up problem diagnosed? If so, and it we can follow up on that diagnosis with your dealership, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).

A company shouldn't be allowed to rip us off like this. I bought mine new also in 2006, and I was in love with it until it had 36,579 miles on it, and I had owned it for just over three years. The door harness that operates lights, radio, electric windows, and locks decided to break. It is the worst design for a harness I have ever seen. Bare wires running through a boot. Not covered.
    I to have replaced wheel bearings on both left and right front. I have also had the startup problem, and had a new starter put on it, and it worked fine for 5 months. The problem is back. Not covered. I also am having the heater core replaced tomorrow morning to the cost of $8oo.oo. Again not covered. I have owned a few cars and trucks during my time, but have never ever had a company turn it's back on you like this. A major recall should be in the works. Just think of all the Torrent owners who haven't even bothered to post.
  • pikey2pikey2 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 2008 torrent with a hard start issue. Sometimes it starts fine. After driving and parking for 10-20 minutes it will crank and not start. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 attempts to get it to start. The dealer replaced the fuel pump under warranty. I cleaned the TBI and ran a few bottles of injector cleaner thru (directed to by the dealer) it still does the same thing. It started in June and is progressively getting worse. The dealer now wants to charge me $100 an hour to figure out what is wrong with it and sell me a $100 induction cleaning service! Oh, and they tried to sell me a battery because it is an 2008 and the battery is still original, But they never tested it. The adviser said that it could be anything from a bad EGR valve to a warped Throttle Body. (all covered under warranty) I don't really care what it is, I just want it fixed and my warranty honored. It has 65,000 miles and is still covered under power train warranty until December. I can't see them charging me to figure it out as I see a non starting engine as a powertrain issue. I told them that if they think there is not an issue give me the service managers home phone number so when my pregnant wife gets stuck with our 2 young kids at 10:00 pm she can call him to come get her. Of course they would not oblige. Just pay the couple hundred for them to figure it out is what the adviser told me. I have only owned GM vehicles my entire life, This may be the last new one I purchase from them! I wish GM would just fix the problem before my warranty runs out.
    Good afternoon pikey2,

We can understand that this is a frustrating situation. Per the 2008 Pontiac Warranty manual, the following components are covered by the powertrain warranty:

Engine: Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing
    chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC
    carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets,
    turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated
    parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump,
    harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are
    covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case: Case, all
    internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case,
    transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.

Drive Systems: Final drive housing, all internal
    lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant
    velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal
    joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential
    actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings,
    seals and gaskets.

Whether or not any of these components is to blame for the vehicle concerns you're currently experiencing is not clear yet as your dealership (from the post) has not had the chance to check into this further.

If you would like for us to check into this further with you, we are available. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (include your name and contact information, summary of the situation, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• beth_h2012beth_h2012 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 pontiac torrent and it has been (putting it kindly) a nightmare! Lets see... Where to start... My major issue- there is a leak inside of my car during every rain or snow- no matter how heavy... It was very light and suddenly spread and it very saturated with water now. It pours in under the passenger side dashboard- soaking the carpet, and now under the drivers side ( not quite as heavy), also between the two visors in the front filling water into the light and dripping down and soaking that roof area, and finally now into the back light dripping down from the center roof area. I have many times tried finding the source. I have used store bought silicone to coat areas. This water causes mold growth bc in the area that I live it has been non stop rain! (just my luck ) The leak is obviously flooding interior wiring because I have constant issues with onstar turning on and not turning off... It has at times shut down my car... Not let me turn it on or off... It has affected my shifting while driving my car in heavy rains and I was only able to drive at maybe 10mph tops with the pedal to the floor. My cd player will not work or eject cds... It is always making a clicking noise when i use or unlock/lock the car. I have had constant shorts in my rear drivers side break light. Which we have attempted ourselves and then had a mechanic replace shorted out parts. As far as the carpets- I clean the mold and it will grow right back because I just cannot keep the carpets dry. I smell a mold/mildew smell with the use of the heat/ac which irritates myself and my passengers when in use. Which leads me to my next issue. We have some sort of heating issue as well... The thermostat is always messed up... reading cold or hot... It rarely blows warm air ( never hot anymore) bc the temperature reads cold. We have to be sitting stationary in the car for quite some time to get luke warm air through. And again- it smells musty. I have some sort of issue here and there with a chain like sound coming from my car when sitting still... (car rotors or belt maybe? I have no idea as I am not real familiar with mechanical issues.) Our breaks are needing changed. Our oil light is always on... Even after changed ( several times trying to find the reason for why it is lit) and our engine light is always on as well but unsure why. Our sun roof has stopped working. It only moves an inch or so and will not open. I'm not sure if our sunroof drain tubes could be clogged badly causing a back up (no visible water in the sunroof area) or maybe a leak at the source of the onstar atennae? I have no idea! Also- early on in the beginning of owning our car ( we have currently had it for approx 3 1/2 yrs) the spoiler on the back detached on one side. My uncle is a master mechanic and has told me this is due to poor constuction with this make because it catches when you open the trunk. I see no way of easily reattaching that. It flaps in decent winds. My uncle has gone over possibilities with me as to what may be the source of my issues but in order to know for sure it is quite a costly procedure...(not incl. the costs to fix the issues... esp. electrical)... We were screwed over with a warranty that we were sold and was not honored and really quite honestly cannot afford this kind of damage. I have been adviced to just trade the junker in and start over but I prefer to have my property paid off... If I traded it in right now for its value I would definetly have negative equity and would be starting all over with a higher loan hoping to dodge issues. If there is anyone who has had these issues could you please point me in the right direction or share your insight? I'm one frustrated owner. Much thanks!!!
    beth_h2012,

Was the warranty you purchased one of our GMPPs? If so and if you have any questions about that, please let us know!We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with any inquires).