Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bkenedtbkenedt Member Posts: 3
    I decided to purchase a altima hybrid after seeing that Nissan was giving a $1250 rebqte until June 2nd. I agreed on a price for 24900 for a blue standard model. I even signed a "Vehicle Cash Purchase Agreement", and put down a $300 deposit.. The salesman told me to come back in 2 days, because Nissan was giving an extra $500 rebate for the hybrid, Memorial Day Sale. When I returned on Friday, I was told by the general manager that a shipment of hybrids were coming in next week, and he would honor the full rebate. Well, when I returned in a week, I was told by the salesman that the owner had promised the blue hybrid to another dealer, and he tried to sell me a fully loaded white one for 33,000. He said don't worry, that another sale will probably be offered by Nissan. I was told by someone that a purchase agreement is not a contract and that Nissan wouldn't honor it. Even if they get me a hybrid, the $1750 in rebates are over. I was thinking of calling Nissan, but not sure if it's worth it..
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Just for FYI. I used to own a 2007 NAH. I traded it in and bought a 2008 Honda Accord. The salesman, dealerships and Nissan North America gave me terrible customer service. I had a problem with the NAH constantly pulling to the right. I will never buy a nissan again. The salesman and manager were un-helpful. A very bad experience. Nissan needs to improve customer service badly.
  • smodersmoder Member Posts: 13
    Lynche, that was the dealer add I used to leverage the local dealer down. Looking at the Vin # that car was at least 6 months old. The local dealer had a similar deal for a car built in Dec 07(Silver with Black); I ended up with Gray and Black and a car built in Apr 08 with 6 miles on ODO(Never test driven). I just sent a friend down to the same salesman to get the same price..although I see the extra $500 memorial day cash back is no longer available. Thanks
  • quickreplyquickreply Member Posts: 43
    Bitterbuffalo-

Did you end up getting a hybrid Altima? I too am in Portland and looking serioulsy at getting one. Any info would be appreciated. Also, if you live in Oregon, I'm pretty sure you won't pay any state taxes for a vehilce purchase. It's based on your state of residence, rather than the place of delivery.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    let us no if your frend gets a nah keep us updated thankyou.
    I'm up in Oregon and looking to fly down and get a NAH from somwhere in the Bay area. At this point in the model year, based on the deals I've seen on this post, I would think invoice minus the $1250 rebate would be reasonable for an '08 hybrid. Plus dealers are advertising 4K off of base models on Craigslist. Here's a post from Bay Area Nissan:

Bay Area Nissan Craigslist

The posting is for $21,999 for a NAH, which I'll assume is a base model. That's about $4K off MSRP, so I would think something similar would be available for a car with only the CONVENIENCE pkg, around, $23K, but that's not the case.

I was quoted $26,000 ($1500 off list) less the rebate, so $24,750.

From what I've seen, I should be getting better quotes. Has anyone purchased a NAH convenience recently in CA?

Also, where can I find invoice? I can't find invoice on edmunds or carpoint.

Thanks in advance.
  • redwood2redwood2 Member Posts: 19
    08 NAH base invoice $23,591 (at least in March 2008 when I was buying).
    Connection pkg $3817, Tech pkg $5551, moonroof $738, alum kickplates $134, floor mats $84, moonroof wind deflector $71.

Interestingly, 2008 base invoice went up only $149 over 2007. It'll be interesting to see what the 09s are, given the gas landscape. Supply and demand rules.

I :confuse: 'm now looking for an extended warranty. I see that someone pd $1595 for Gold Preferred, with other info being $1300 and invoice being $915. Anyone have other info or recommendations on which package?

thanks.
  • lynchelynche Member Posts: 13
    "Are you saying that because it was a Purchase Agreement, I don't have a case?"

No, I said you might have a case, and if you had a Purchase Agreement, your case would be even stronger. The General Manager's signature makes it even better.

The general rule is the more specific the terms of your deal, the more likely you can enforce the deal. Also, the more you change your situation in reliance on the other party fulfilling his part of the bargain (e.g. traveling long distance, selling your car), the more likely you can enforce the deal.

Talk to a lawyer (call your local bar association for a referral to a consumer lawyer, plaintiff side), or buy a car with the same specs and invest a few bucks and time to file a small claims action for the difference between the price you paid, and the price this dealer promised. (This way, you get the car now, and get a shot at getting any difference in price between what you actually pay and the bargain price you thought you had. Otherwise, you could file suit now to get a judge to order the dealer to sell a similarly equipped car to you at your negotiated price, but then you don't have the car and there's never any guarantees you'll win in court.)
    yes he is Rite you might have a case. but Y wont the dealer just find you a car just like the one he sold that he was to give to you go in with the paper work Keep us updateded on what happens thankyou for reading.
  • nmacmill01nmacmill01 Member Posts: 16
    Purchased in early May:

MSRP was $31,225.00. With the $1250.00 rebate, I paid $27,000.00 + Lic/Tax. Leather, Moon, Mats, Kick plates, and Connection package.

Vallejo Nissan, (Northern California).
  • mlocamloca Member Posts: 15
    I found the one I want on the Nissan Website Radiant Silver, Charcoal Leather, Technology Package, Sunroof, Floor Mats. MSRP: $33,500

Right now Edmunds doesn't have the invoice price listed (why not sure).
    The TMV is $31,956. Is that before the $1,250 rebate?
    If so I should pay at most $30,706.
    AAA's website on the other hand says the invoice is $28,927 (including $1250)

Someone told me I can get one for $5% over invoice before the rebates so that says I can buy one for $30,300.

Do these numbers seem correct for a loaded $33,500 MSRP car?

Any experience would be great.
    If you Google Altima Hybrid, you'll see other car review sites. Some will show invoice, others, like Edmunds, will say it's being researched. Have to look at several. I think MSN might have it.

Never mind that. At least in April/May, dealers in SF areas were advertising specials where dealers were discounting almost $3,000, not including the rebate. They call them loss leaders. I doubt they're really taking losses because different dealers keep doing it. Some even do it week after week.

Based on that, I think the dealers still profit some at about $4,000 off MSRP, counting rebate.

However, that was last month just after gas crossed the $4/gal line. Note that until April, Toyota dealers had lots of Prius on their lots, and couldn't give away the Camry hybrid. After April, Prius were gone from California dealers, and TCH's started getting scarce and now in mid-June can't be found on lots either. I've seen dealers, though fewer, still advertising specials on NAH's, but instead of throwing in dealer discounts of almost $3,000, they're advertising $2,000.

That tells me that $3,000 should be fairly easy to get. Could try for $4,000 off, but if dealers don't bite, then it means that NAH demand has picked up due to higher gas and scarcity of Toyota hybrids. In which case, you can pay up for NAH, or wait until supply catches up or (dream) gas prices come down.
  • momster1momster1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone,

I test drove an Altima Hybrid at Bruce Bennett Nissan in CT and really liked it. I'm looking for one that has the connection package without the moonroof, although it seems that those are hard to come by. The dealer quoted me a price for the connection package with the moonroof, and after reading some posts here, I don't think it's a good price at all. He said MSRP was 31,500 (which I'm having trouble getting to myself when I "build" it online anyway) and my price would be $30,151. Since we would be financing, we wouldn't get the $1,250 rebate.

At any rate, it seems like I could almost get the tech package for that price! I put out an internet request to other dealerships in the area, but I already got one call without a price (saying "make us an offer") which I sort of hate.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks so much.
    I had a hard time finding invoice as well. Try Kelly Blue Book - they have the invoice pricing listed. You should be able to get within a few hundred dollars of invoice, if not invoice itself, less the rebate. From what I understand, the rebate is $1250 or $1000 if you finance through nissan. I'm purchasing a hybrid altima with the convenience pkg out of California:

MSRP: $27,550
    Price w/rebate: $23,987

Good luck.
  • langjielangjie Member Posts: 250
    you are right in thinking that the 30151 is a rip off. i would make them an offer of lower than you are willing to pay obviously. just offer something like $4,500 under msrp and see where you go from there
    yes He is rite I would offer $4000 or maby $5000 off the price of the car. Now with the gas prices might not bee helping. Keep us updated thankyou for reading.
  • desi7desi7 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased from Nissan of Elk Grove 10 days ago. MSRP $33,500, paid $31,115 without the $1250 rebate (took the 2.9% financing instead). Metallic jade, blond leather, tech, moon, mats.

Sent emails out to mulltiple dealers in N Cal - only heard back from Boardwalk - wanted full MSRP (yeah right!) and Elk Grove. Smooth deal, great customer service - check out dealerrater to see their reviews. They rate a 4.5 out of 5 with the most reviews of any N Cal Nissan dealer - most other NCal dealers are rated at <2.

My advice - use nissanusa site to check out current dealer inventories. Contact dealers with the most NAH's on their lots - Elk Grove or North Bay when I shopped around. The smaller dealers won't respond or budge from MSRP as gas prices continue to climb.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I was at a Costco in San Jose, Ca recently where a NAH was being featured out in front of the store through the Costco car buying service.

The car looked great until I got up real close and read the sticker on the window.
    The dealer wanted MSRP plus $3,100 in dealer "Added Value"?!! :confuse:

Total price was just over $36,000!

I thought people must be waiting in line to get the NAH if dealers are charging MSRP much less adding "value" :surprise:
  • ecr72ecr72 Member Posts: 9
    I've never seen a "Costco price" on a car outside their store. It's always sticker and sometimes they have the silly "Added Value Mark-Up" crap on there as well. I guess they don't want a non-member seeing the Costco price. Their auto buying program is not that great anyway. You can get the same deal by just emailing the dealers in your area and offering a few hundred over invoice on almost any car. When I got my NAH, I sent requests through Costco to a couple Nissan and a couple Toyota dealers since we were still debating between the NAH and TCH. About 1/2 the dealers didn't even respond and we said we were ready to buy that weekend (sent requests on a Thursday). The ones that did were giving me prices about $500 over invoice. Thanks to this message board and some Craigslist ads I found, I went in armed and got a price under invoice before rebates/cash back.

So far my wife is getting about 31mpg on the computer. About 29.5 calculating it out. It's a bit disappointing after reading about people getting mid to upper 30's but the AC's always cranking so I suppose that doesn't help much. In the end, we went from a 15-17mpg AWD Sienna so I can't complain too much. Also, every once in a while, like right now, I remember we have a nice juicy $2350 tax credit coming so that puts a smile on my face.
    Hey I am so glad you guys are loving the Nah it is a verry good and grate car. so 31 Miles per galan not bad and yes alot bettor then the van but you said you have the tax credit cumming nice sounds good to me is it an only one time thing or will you be getting the tax credit for a few years not shore how that works if anyone nos about that ples post on this bord. good luck with it grate car theese nissans. ps not shore about the ac thing if that is a factor in gas milage also if anyone nos about that let us all no thanks for reading have a verry good day.
  • jfc31jfc31 Member Posts: 4
    momster1 - I bought the Altima Hybrid with connection pkg at that dealership in the beginning of June. Paid less than $29,000 and financed at 2.9%. Great car....just got 40 MPG on my 2nd tank of gas....mostly highway, driving 70+ MPH
    Marco,

Tax credit is a one time deal for buying an altrenative fuel car. Different credits apply to different cars based on mpg and emissions and some weird formula based on how many alternative fuel cars a particular manufacturer sells (up to 60,000). Toyota and Honda have sold too many hybrids (1 million Prius' as of May) so they don't qualify. Nissan has sold I think less than 20,000 NAH's so have a long way to go before the credit goes away.

Caveat is that you might not get it if you have to pay the Alternative Minimum Tax.
  • stephen431stephen431 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased full package, Nav, moonroof, leather, etc. $32,900 (negotiated from 33,500) plus current $1250 incentive.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Wow, This must mean dealers that still have these in stock are no longer selling them at invoice cost approx any longer. Invoice, supposedly on your vehicle around $30,500, and we all know the dealers get kickbacks of some sort.

Must be this gas thing really catching! I can't tell you how pleased we are with our two NAH's purchased in March. Sure a few grand more than a Prius but no comparison. Plus the $2350 tax rebate sure helps a bunch.
  • jsyarussjsyaruss Member Posts: 50
    Yup - they're getting much harder to find at any sort of discount if you live in places where they're not sold. I decided to take the hit because, well, I wanted one... perhaps I could have argued more a bit on price... but basically, the few dealers that have them anywhere near me (a) aren't trading them to other dealers and (b) aren't much in the mood to negotiate because they're flying out the doors. My timing wasn't the best -- should have bought a couple of months ago, when people were getting great deals. Alas... I'm happy with the car, though (except for a minor EV mode difficulty)... So much so that we got a second Nissan for my wife this weekend. Never had a Nissan before, but now we're a 2-Nissan family! Go figure.
    Hey Lynche thankyou for that explonation I cant thankyou enuff see now you have helped all of us out who did not understand that hole tax thing good lick with your Nahs they are a grate car one of the best out there thankyou for reading.
    NIce real nice good luck with your nah it is a grate car tell everyone about it just as good os the HOnda and Toyota Hibrids. SO what was the secand Nissan that you got for your wife. You Cant go rong byeing a nissan grate cars. just as good as hondas and TOyotas thankyou for reading anything I can do to help any of you guys out let me no.
  • jsyarussjsyaruss Member Posts: 50
    Thanks Marco. The second one's a fully loaded Murano SL! Not quite the same mileage, but a bigger storage area ;-) (The trunk on the NAH is a little tight for weekend trips...) We're thrilled with both and my wife (not being an ipod owner) is having fun loading all her favorite CDs onto the car's hard drive. It's the little things...
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    Test drove the nah over the 4th of July weekend. I ended up going with the Accord. This was the most difficult buying experience I've ever had. What a great car the NAH is. It does'nt matter why I chose the Honda and not the nah. I just wanted to say the base model could be bought for 500 (rebate) under MRSP in NORCAL. That was the best price I found over the weekend. Of course you get the 2350 tax credit which is nice.

If you are thinking of buying a NAH and have'nt test drove it yet be prepared to buy it because you will fall in love with it. I will not hesitate buying one in the near future.
    I traded my 2007 NAH for a new 2008 Accord few months ago. Good choice. The Accord is a excellent car.
    Thanks Dude, just wondering why you traded in the NAH 07.
    From the day I bought my NAH, it had a constant pull/drift to the right. I took it to servicing at the dealer as well as tire shops over a dozen times. I even filed a claim with BBB. To make the long story short, in the end I traded it in and got a Accord. Since I have bought the Accord, driving has been fun again. The NAH is a nice car, unfortunately Nissan didn't want to admit I had a bad/lemon so I got rid of it. I know this is not a Honda Accord Forum, but on a side note, my MPG has been 30 overall.
  • shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    Hi, Guys:
    Whether or not the 2350 tax credit will be adjusted based on your income?
    I plugged the number (Hybrid Vehicle) into 07 turbo tax before looking at the NAH to make certain I would qualify for the credit. I suggest you do the same or talk to the person that prepared your 07 taxes to see if you qualify. I don't know the exact formula used in determining the credit. IRS.gov will also give you the information you need.

If you qualify, you will see a 2350 credit to your net return. You would need to be bringing in some serious cash not to qualify IMO.
  • tazdoctazdoc Member Posts: 6
    Bought one through Costco Program last night. Very pleasant buying experience in Falore Nissan in Sunnyvale, CA. The following is the quote and price.

MSRP is $33,500 including 4-Cyl, 2.5L HEV, Automatic Transmission, optional Moonroof, Floor Mats, Technology Package and Destination Charge. Your price is $31,495. Tax, license & doc fees are extra. Factory cash incentives of $500.00 (expiring 9/30/08) have already been deducted from this price.

Missed the $1250 cash incentive by a week. Tried other dealers in the area to beat that price, none could. According to the fleet manager, the price will go up soon because Toyota is running out of Prius and Camry and the demand for NAH is going up. The sticker price is MSRP + $3000. They are having a meeting next week and likely the Costco price will be either MSRP or higher. Don't know how true it is. They have about six in the lot and I just test drove the one I like. Remarkable bells and whistle and pickup (much better than my 99 Acura TL with Nav).
  • ferrarieaterferrarieater Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a base model (list $25905). Got a $2656 dealer discount, a $1250 Nissan rebate and a $2350 Federal tax credit for a net cost of $19649 before tax and license. Northern California dealer.
    not a bad price grate deal what color and what options does your nah have in it how was the byeing prosese let us all no thankyou for reading. grate car the nah is good luck.
    It is a base car; it has no options other then floor mats. However the base car does have auto trans, a/c, pwr windows mirrors doors and trunk, intelligent key entry, 1 cd player, 4 speaker stereo etc.
    It does not have NAV, moonroof, leather seats or the computer display. It has a computer readout in the pod in front of the driver.
    My car is slate grey metallic with charcoal cloth interior.
    The car was an advertised special so there was no dealing at all.
    I really enjoy the sportiness of the car.
    I am currently getting 32mpg while using the a/c most of the time.
  • namxleenanamxleena Member Posts: 9
    Was wondering which dealership you got it from. Also, was the 1250 rebate last month? Or, did you just get the rebate from this month? I believe the current rebate is only 500.
  • cephraimcephraim Member Posts: 31
    How do you claim the tax credit?
    What proof of purchase is used?
    Was I supposed to receive something unique from the dealer?
  • langjielangjie Member Posts: 250
    just do your taxes and fill out one of the forms, i forget which one
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    it's great to see people lining up to buy hybrid these days - but seeing how demand is beginning to outstrip supply I see prices getting closer and closer to MSRP.

makes me wonder how long it will take for supply to surpass demand. or will they keep the supply side tight?

with that said you can see why the "big" three are in a world of pain.
    The rebate was last month.
    I found the car online as an advertised special.
    I prefer to not mention the dealer by name but it was in the Bay area.
    hey thankyou so mutch for getting back to me and responding to my posting. Yea the bas Nah has alot of options did not realize how menny it had. that color combo is real nice so you really like it good luck it is a grate car keep on posting those grate deals.
    was just wondering thanks for reading.
    yes it is!
  • bobmagoobobmagoo Member Posts: 1
    Convenience package + moonroof - $26549 w/o rebate

The dealers around here who had that configuration all came in around the same price. The spread was like $200.
    nice car thankyou so mutch for getting back to me nice color good luck with it it is a grate car thanks for reading Marco.
  • allin4greenallin4green Member Posts: 3
    Picked up my new Sonoma Sunset/Charcoal Leather NAH last weekend. I had to drive to NJ for the purchase (Cherry Hill Nissan), I live in south central PA. The travel was the worst part of my buying experience, although it was well worth it.

I've been commuting 120 miles/day with it for the past week and a half and am loving it! 80/20 highway/city driving with ~36 mpg observed fuel consumption.

MSRP $33,500 with a $500 manufacturer rebate, $1,500 dealer discount, $500 PA state rebate, and of course the $2,350 fed tax credit. The dealer even threw in a bottle of touch-up paint.
  • esteveesteve Member Posts: 10
    After getting 11 dealer quotes in the LA/Ventura area (with some in San Diego and up in NoCal), I picked up an Altima Hybrid (Convenience, moonroof, moonroof visor, and kickplates) for $26526 after $500 rebate on August 2nd from Thousand Oaks Nissan. Another dealer was $225 less but couldn't get the color combo I wanted.

Averaging 35 mpg! :)