Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mags49mags49 Member Posts: 9
    Dear Occking (Steve?), I will miss you. I started monitoring this site 14 months ago and so am familiar with you and your great advice.
    I still haven't bought an NAH because I live in a state where they aren't sold, and so to coordinate my schedule with a trip to CA has been a challenge. I passed on the offer above due to neglect. Tonite I found one in a color I like better anyway: the MSRP is $32,975; seems like I should still get it under $2900 minus the Nissan $1500 rebate (on their website), right? i'll post my success (if any).
    Your comment about AWD, however, caught my eye. I've heard about MBenz small suv with as good of gas mileage as a hybrid tho' higher asset cost.
    Hey, you can still borrow your wife's car if you need a speed fix!
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I think there are still great deals out there on the NAH's, particularly as the Federal Tax Credit of $2350 still available, plus cash back of $1500 (although, I was upset to find out from accountant I will not get the full $4700 back for two cars. Apparently the AMT kicked in & I am getting $4050 back between the two vehicles.

Maybe I was foolish getting rid of the NAH. I got $17,500 trade in, which based on KBB for that vehicle with the mileage I had (34,500) was about 110% of trade in value. I see now that the dealer is asking $22,000 for the vehicle on their website. I don't think they will get that much for it as anyone could buy a new one, identical with all the options (like the one you are looking at) for probably around $29,000, less the rebate, less the tax credit so that would be around $25,000 net. Why would anyone want a vehicle with 34k for 22k when a brand new one for just a few thousand more?

At any rate, I get "bored" with new cars (have been spoiled with company cars for the past 25 years) and thought it time for a change. Although I did manage with the small storage capacity in the NAH I really wanted to get back to something with more room, AWD, reasonable gas mileage, etc.

I believe with the Forester will average somewhere between the 20 - 27 mpg advertised for a lot of my running around, hoping for the high twenties for highway driving.

Nissan will have a lot more competition now with the new Ford Product out there advertising better mpg, plus the new Honda Insight and improved Prius.

Got to run....
  • redwood2redwood2 Member Posts: 19
    Anyone file tax returns for 2008 yet? My tax guy says that the Feds have yet to get around to actually having the paperwork for the hybrid tax credit. Whaaaat? He says we can't file for it yet....... have to wait. Anyone know? thanks. :confuse:
  • cephraimcephraim Member Posts: 31
    I filed via Quicken Turbo Tax. The form was there and easy to use. Unfortunately, I didn't get the full amount back either due to AMT or something. But, it's there. No worries.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I had the same problem with the specific tax form not being "ready" yet. It was delayed a few times but, finally, on March 13 my accountant called and I now can file. Unfortunately, the AMT kicked in & reduced the amount due me. I should have had two times $2350 ($4700) as I purchased two NAH's last year, but I find I will be getting a credit of approx $4050 instead.

My regular income tax was not affected by AMT, just the portion for the refund for the hybrids.
    Yikes! Redwood2 is still around, too? Good! You & Occ are the best. You (R2) advised me to take my time a year ago - and I certainly have. Still no car - but I'm getting serious now (see below).

I didn't realize the federal rebate would be affected by AMT. Will ask my accountant how that plays for me.

I haven't done much research on 2009's so I checked out daninoah's comment above about the Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan. I like the idea of supporting American companies but am concerned about supporting their service depots.

So...I finally got a "firm" offer today from N. Bay Nisan for 2009 connection + sunroof + destination fee @ $28,899. (invoice: $30,516; rebate $1500). It is slightly less that the price I got a month ago (different dealer but with no rebate) that ooc thought was mundane. The prices don't seem to be as good as last year and I don't understand why. Perhaps they are putting all there effort into selling off the multitude of 2008's.

Last, I was wondering for those of you who have driven NAH's for nearly a year, what has your repair & maintenence been like?
    thanks mucho, M
    10 days later, so I will answer myself for the reader.

Yes, I bought the car. What help I gleaned came from Consumer Reports "Car Price Services" as was recommended on the regular Altima chat spot. The report efficiently itemizes costs so that you can quickly determine what is a good buy. 1800.880-4874; $16 worth of confidence.

The salesperson at North Bay Nissan in Petaluma, CA was terrific. Can barely wait to pick up the car and drive home to Washington state.

All for now. M
  • redwood2redwood2 Member Posts: 19
    Mags49, congratulations! 2009? Price sounds good. Good question about the pricing not going lower...... maybe they figure they've got the market with hybrids. Now if it were SUVs..... What is AMT? too bad that the tax credit dropped from $2350. Must say it was sweet when I filed my taxes a few weeks ago. So far, maintenance has been easy and the dealer in Santa Rosa CA has been excellent, even though I didn't buy it from them. I've got 11,500 miles after 1 year and everything is still perfect. It even still SMELLS new! Mileage has dropped, though -- about 32mpg...... please tell me it's the colder weather and not my driving habits. I was getting 35 mpg regularly before winter. Oh, but, boo -hoo.... on its 1 year birthday, my windshield was hit by a pebble at 60mph and sported a 24" crack. Glass company repaired it in my work parking lot and I've now got a lifetime warranty for the life of my ownership of the car. I', even getting used to the itty bitty trunk. cheers. :shades:
  • mhuimhui Member Posts: 3
    Hey, I ended up getting a 2009 NAH for $25,400 OTD with the convenience package. I'm not even sure if I got a good deal or not.

I do have a headache from it though. LOL.

Someone tell meeee. Thanks!
  • newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    I currently have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid that I bought in late September 2006, just in time for the full ($2,600) Federal tax credit. It is a great car. In the summer I average about 37-38mpg and in the winter about 32mpg. It is incredibly quiet and roomy although, like all Toyotas, I would not exactly call it sporty. The problem is, after nearly three years and 50,000 miles, I am getting bored with it.

Since I love the quiet and (relatively) great fuel economy of hybrids, I want to stick with one and with the full, $2,350 Federal tax credit still in effect for the Nissan Altima Hybrid, I think I can still come out ahead buying one. The NAH is a little sportier than the TCH, I like the backup camera available with the NAH and think Nissan generally has better navigation systems than Toyota but the TCH is roomier and quieter. I am tending towards the NAH but would first like to know if its fuel economy is comparable to that of the TCH.

And also, if anyone here has looked at both the TCH and NAH, why did you choose what you chose?

Thank to everyone in advance.
  • langjielangjie Member Posts: 250
    Haven't driven a TCH, but I get around 35 mpg overall (about 37 summer, 31 winter). I think you sacrafice a little bit of fuel economy with the Altima but I think the seats of the NAH is much more comfortable then a TCH. You should just go test drive one and see how you like it, see if your are comfy in the seats, etc. goodluck
  • kiraadckiraadc Member Posts: 3
    I am the former owner of a Toyota Camry (not a hybrid) that was a good but, well yes, boring car. I bought my 2008 NAH last July and have loved everything about it ever since.

I would say my gas mileage was in the 36-40 mpg range in the summer, depending on AC, city vs. highway driving etc. When just highway, I got around 42, which was sweet. Winter range: 32-35 mpg. I live in DC.

I didn't consider the TCH because (a) I didn't want another boring car and (b) there was no Federal tax credit available.

The NAH car is fun to drive, has pickup when you need it, and is so stylish that a colleague even left a note on the car, not knowing it belonged to me, admiring it parked in front of the building and wondering where she could get one too. (NAH is not available in my area, so it requires a serious commitment to go to NJ, NY, or New England to get it from here as well as research on who will service it.)

My 11-year-old daughter thinks the back seat is roomier than than Camry. I don't know that's true, but she thinks the Altima is "way cool."

The only drawback is that smaller trunk, but I have found it adequate, even for beach vacations with all the attendant accountrements.

I loved not only my Federal tax rebate but also the fact that I was exempted from state sales tax (tied to the Federal status) and got a reduced registration fee as well. Rebates and reduced rates for hybrids are different in different states, but that's easy to check on the web. Those economics helped make my decision.

Also, I wanted to write in after owning the car 8 months just to say thanks to those who have posted in this forum for their honest and helpful observations and hints. The posts gave me the confidence to research a vehicle I couldn't drive until I committed to checking one out far away from home. It has proven to be a great decision so far.

Good luck with your purchase.
  • newcarsnewcars Member Posts: 103
    Thank you for your advice and mileage report. I appreciate it. One more question that I must ask about the Nissan Altima Hybrid. How quiet is it?

We agree that the Camry is a boring car but one thing that I did love about it is that it was whisper quiet. I really did not realize how much I enjoyed that quiet until I drove other cars (including a non-hybrid Altima as a rental). Nothing compared to the quiet of my Toyota Camry Hybrid. However else the Camry is boring -- and we agree that it is boring -- the Toyota Camry Hybrid is quiet. Very quiet. And sometimes after a long, stressful day, that quiet is absolutely GREAT!

So I need to know, is the Nissan Altima Hybrid quiet?
  • kiraadckiraadc Member Posts: 3
    Ah, glad to help. On the question of noise of the NAH. Compared with my old Camry or any non-hybrid car, the Nissan Altima Hybrid is unbelievably quiet. It is wonderful to start the car without a noise, to sit in traffic quietly, to cruise along today on flat or mild stretches of the road noiselessly. Hands down winner over non-hybrids. I agree the quiet is a great benefit of driving a hybrid.

But, I could not tell you if it is more or less quiet than other hybrids ON AVERAGE in your driving conditions. That I don't know. What I suspect is, if comparing Altima to Camry ONLY when the gasoline engine kicks in, I bet the Camry would be a little quieter. I think that may be best answered in a road test.

Hope this helps!
    my volume is usually at 2 or 3 while in the city, 3-5 at highway speeds. the engine is quiet, wind noise isn't too bad. I think it's comparable to my mom's 2004 camry for noise
  • themousethemouse Member Posts: 17
    Anyone know whether Nissan is close to hitting the 60,000 mark for the Tax Credit?
    impressive... thanks!
    no problem. I knew I've seen those numbers somewhere
    Thanks, Redwood2 and everyone else who posted this last year.
    I'm a slow one, but like the writer above, when the NAH isn't sold in your own state, you are more cautious. I still haven't flown to CA to pick up car (due to trip to Nepal) but will check mileage when I do. Glad to know maintenence should be minimal even at another dealer. I have to commend my Prius dealer 5 years ago that gave free service for 3 years which spoiled me.
    Sounds like less miles/gal in warmer weather which may be why writers last year noted differences...so hopefully it isn't your driving. I didn't notice the weather difference in the Prius.
    AMT is alternative minimum tax on your 1040 IRS return.
    Did you pay an ungodly amount for a lifetime ownership warranty?
    I'll post again after my inaugural trip home.
    M
  • todaotodao Member Posts: 7
    Don't know if you went ahead. I'm after a fully loaded (conv, comm, tech, moonroof) with $800 down and $475/month for 39 months at 15K miles per year. Don't know how good that is. Supposedly based on a $31,100 OTD price.
  • hfzeushfzeus Member Posts: 39
    Dirito Bros in Concord, CA.

Too bad I'm in NY!

As of this morning, 6 in stock at this price.
  • sonicagamemnonsonicagamemnon Member Posts: 5
    We just purchased a 2009 NAH fitted with the technology package at Tonkin Nissan in Wilsonville, Oregon. The price was just over $28,000 after the $3500 Nissan rebate available through June of this year. Moreover, there is also a very nice $2,350 federal tax credit coming, along with another $1,500 state tax credit here in Oregon. Therefore, the final price for the vehicle was just over $24,000.

;->

The dealership experience was very good. The staff was friendly, professional and well informed. The only issue is simply availability; there was only one NAH in stock when we arrived for a test drive.

The car is very comfortable inside, fully appointed, handles well on the road, very low emissions and good mileage, and it performs well for a hybrid. We test drove the Toyota, Honda and Ford hybrids as well, but the NAH was the clear choice for us.
  • ecr72ecr72 Member Posts: 9
    It sounds like you got a nice deal. However, the federal tax credit is only $2,350.
    Thanks for pointing that out-- I edited my post to fix the math...
    Here are some photos of the "Blackbird" recently purchased:

• xavxav Member Posts: 23
    Any idea on how low I can get the base hybrid?

I saw it advertised for $20k. My local dealer said he would match that price.. is this good or can I go any lower?

Also, what insurance company would you recommend for this car? We have Progressive and their quote for this car is rather high in my opinion.
    $20k is pretty good. I think I've seen someone get $19499 though. Not sure if it's worth it to try and pry every penny from the salesman though
    $20K is good. I know there are big Nissan rebates that expire at the end of this month, up to $3,500. There is also 0% financing.

The cheapest insurance I could find was through American National.
    Lowest price I got so far is 19.8k + tax/reg from 1 dealer that is a little remote

Does that quote seem serious to you? My local dealers are pretending that it isn't.. (of course :))
  • meanboy2005meanboy2005 Member Posts: 24
    For the base NAH it's likely a serious quote. Last week, we purchased ours for $19,999 after deducting the rebate .

However, the first dealer we actually went to did not believe the quote and would not even counter offer us. We left and bought it the next day at the advertised price. Today, my wife's niece's husband went to the dealer that did not sell us the car and he dropped my name. They were willing to sell it to him for the $19,999. The car probably has more miles on it now(saw it on their online inventory list and it was the only one in that color on their lot). We saw it last Saturday and it had 50 miles on it. The one we bought had eight miles on it. We did have to travel an extra 15 miles to buy it but we saved $1500.00 in the process.
  • carguru2carguru2 Member Posts: 3
    hello

Was thinking of getting a Atima hybrid - along with the Convinience + Connection + Technology package. or just with the Convinience package. Just wondering what folks paid?

Also does anyone know if NJ has any tax credits on hybrids in addition to the federal tax credit
  • hippie8hippie8 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchaed my NAH about 2 weeks ago here in NY. I ended buying the a fully loaded one as the dealer IAdvantage Nissan) wouldn't let me leave as the say. I paid 30,000 which was 3704 off list along with the 3250 rebate. I still get the federal tax credit. I purchased an extended warranty (7 yars 100,000 miles) which I can cancel within 60 days and I still thinking about it. The only advantage to this one is that if I don't use it I can get my money back. The only problem I have had is my regular car battery had died twice in 8 days and I am finally getting a new one. Anyone here about this?
  • altima2008altima2008 Member Posts: 1
    I also had a dead battery on my 2008 Altima. I stopped to run an errand on the way home from work and when I got back into the car, it would not start. All I could get was a clicking sound when I pressed the start button. Road side service casme and boosted the car and it started. The dsame thing happened again the next morning so I boosted it and took it to the dealership.

The dealership said the battery was low but not defective. I complained and they replaced the batte, but found nothing else in their analysis.

No problems since then with the main battery. The dealership told me that they haven't heard of anyone else having any problems. Abviosly I am not alone.
    there should be a TSB on replacing the panasonic batteries with optima ones. which one do you have?
    What you guys think of this?

NAH w/ Connection Package and sunroof for $25,300 after rebate incentive. After Hybrid tax credit, it will come down to $22,950

4 year registration in NJ - $206
    Doc fee - $139
    We bought our NAH with convenience package yesterday for $23,100 OTD in Orange County CA.

I believe the price before taxes and registration (but after fees) is around $20,700.

I also got 5.99 % financing, which was pretty good considering credit unions would not even lend me anything given my limited credit history.
    The last day of the month was a good time to buy. I received two calls from a dealer that did not want to deal two weeks ago on June 29th and 30th.

Nissan announced sales for June being down 20 something percent which was much better than May's sales figures. If the economy is showing some bottoming the incentives could be reduced in the near future.
  • quantifirequantifire Member Posts: 21
    Rebate of 3250 extended to 7/31, and bonus cash of 500 till 7/8. Confirmed with dealer that you DO NOT have to finance with NMAC to get the rebate, contrary to Edmunds information.
    missed the $500 rebate since I bought last month.

One of the dealers wanted to sell me the base hybrid for $22,295 OTD in Socal, without even negociating.

That was from Nissan El Monte (if anyone is interested). I guess with the new $500 rebate it may be possible to target $21,700 - $21,800. Minus $2,350 tax rebate that's around $19.3k.

What a deal when you compare to other cars in this price range.
    I didn't finance with Nissan and I received the rebate so I am not sure why Edmunds stated that. Too bad I bought the NAH almost three weeks ago.

I think the word is out on the NAH discounts because the listings for the discounted 2009 NAH are gone from Craigslist.
  • yorksladyyorkslady Member Posts: 6
    Hi, Which Nissan in OC?? Thanks ;)
  • marcr92marcr92 Member Posts: 10
    My father's 1995 J30 qualifies as a clunker and therefore he will be looking for any car getting over 28 mpg to receive the $4500 credit from the government. He tried the new Prius; however, it is almost impossible to get a Prius V with the equipment he wants, and if he were to order it, it could take up to a year to come in. With that being said, the government is only giving a limited number of vouchers for "clunkers" so he needs to act quickly. We looked at the Altima Hybrid which came fully loaded, the Jetta TDI with some upgraded stuff, and the Mini Coopers.
    The Altima Hybrid was fully loaded: tech package, convenience package.. the works. The Jetta TDI had upgraded 17" wheels, sunroof, and the famous automatic DSG tranny. I drove the TDI and it felt underpowered compared to my 328i xDrive coupe, obviously, but for a gas-saving car, it had some pep. However, the Altima has the greatest discounts and most equipment. The guy, over the phone, took 10k off sticker (34k) because of the tax credit, Nissan's credit, and just old fashioned discounts because they can't move the cars.
    I need an opinion on what my dad should get. He is going to be paying cash for the car.
    I obviously think he should go with the MINI Cooper Convertible, but that would never happen unless one of you could help me convince him. I know a lot about cars from being around my dad, who is a car buff, and from reading Motor Trend since I was 7. I'm 17 now and just got my car (328i xDrive coupe), and my dad needs a fuel-efficient car to drive 50 miles a day.
    Thanks
  • yorksladyyorkslady Member Posts: 6
    which dealership gave him $10K off the altima Hybrid??
    Thanks
    From reading the post the dealership gave $7650 not 10k off of sticker because that included the tax credit.
    The one that offered that deal was in El Monte, which is kinda far, but they gave me that $22,295 OTD quote instantly and that was in mid June (that was for a white base hybrid with kick plates and floor mats).

I bought from Surf City Nissan in Huntington Beach. After negotiating I got mine with convenience package for $23,100 OTD. I could also have bought a black base hybrid for $22,200 OTD, but the car wasn't on site (they said they would need to drive it down to HB which would add 80 miles on it). This car is probably still available.

Surf City Nissan was the most competitive dealer in OC (with me anyway). But I had to negociate hard.

Again: all this was before the $500 cash rebate.
    Anybody knows if my wife's 2000 v6 sonata will qualify for the cash for clunckers thing?

Her car is rated 18/25 mpg.
    nope. needs to be combined 18mpg or below
  • altimabuyer1altimabuyer1 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to go there in a day or so do you mind telling me the breakup of final numbers and your sales person?

Thanks!
  • solansolan Member Posts: 3
    Yeah even I am trying to get a Nissan Altima Hybrid But none of the dealers here in Bay area are offering any prices near to that. They are very rude and wouldnt even budge to any negotiations
    So far the best price that was offered was 21000+ TTL =23000 OTD for the base model .

Here is their Break UP ::
    Manufacture Suggested Retail Price: (msrp + freight )....$27,455.00
    Nissan Dealer Discount:............-$2,199.00
    NNA Customer Cash:........................................-$3,250.00 (incentive)
    4TH OF JULY CUSTOMER CASH:..........................-$500.00 (grad. in 6mos or grad. in last 2 years)
    Your Price:....$21,506.00 + tax and lic. *

After the MSRP of 27455 - Nisan Dealer Discount = 27455 -2200 = 25,200 (almost equal to the Invoice price of 25000)

so finally it comes out to approx 23500 for the base Model which is TOOOO pricey . and the worst thing is that all of them have a rude overtone when told that they were not at all competitive.

I do see that someone has already bought at 22300 OTD before the 500 $ rebate in Huntington COunty, CA . Can you please help us with the BreakUP cost of each item.???