Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Blazer Acceleration, Electrical or Fuel Problem

eecsseecss Member Posts: 3
Hello all,

Here are the facts:

I went to church yesterday (about 5 miles). Rain was coming down pretty good. No problems.

About 2 hours later, started for home. Rain coming down pretty good, yet.

Stopped at a light about 1 1/2 miles from church. When green, gave it normal gas. Very poor acceleration. Fuel gauge reads just under 1/4 tank.

I then let off the accelerator and then pressed it ever so slightly. I did accelerate, but obviously not very fast.

About 30 seconds or so later, we were fine.

This happened about 2 or 3 more times until I got home. The last time (a few blocks away), I noticed that the gas gauge was doing strange things. It went down to "empty" and the fuel light came on. But then it went back up to about a quarter tank shortly later. Then the vehicle began to run normally again.

I pulled in the drive way and let the car sit. It rained pretty good that day until later in the evening. Late in the evening, I attempted to start it to take a quick drive. It would not start. It would try and try and try, but would not start -almost as if no fuel getting to the engine.

I let it sit overnight. It is not raining, but is quite damp. I put about 1 1/2 gallons of fuel in the tank (all I have at home). Tried to start it several times, but to no avail.

I never had this problem before. No other lights beside the fuel light had come on yesterday when I was driving.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Fuel filter???
  • eecsseecss Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I had thought of that, but am not a mechanic myself. I understand the basics, but have next to no experience. I have a cousin who is a bit of a whiz at this coming over tonight to see if he can tell.

The good news I have found out was that the fuel pump, if that is the problem, is covered under the extended warranty I bought when I purchased the vehicle 3 years ago. That warranty has paid itself over many times, I'm afraid.
  • repairdogrepairdog Member Posts: 948
    Could be bad connector on the top of the gas tank and rain shorting it out or the ground loose, the pump going bad so fuel pressure needs testing, relay going bad or wet, fuel filter clogging, your gas was much lower than that quality GM gage showed, water in the fuel, or some sensor or electrical problem. Think that is a start.
  • eecsseecss Member Posts: 3
    :o

Well...allrightythen!

I guess I covered all that in my title.

Thanks, though.

I'll pass that on to my mechanic.
  • bob1945bob1945 Member Posts: 1
    97 chevy blazer 4.3 idles great but upon acceleration it starts to surge, changed just about everything, fuel pump,cap rotor, wires, plugs distributor injectors, crankshaft, cam, throttle pos. sensor, tried new computer, at a loss starts right up and idles great, take in down the road and starts surging.
    Exhaust? Could be a converter or muffler collapsing internally.
  • mischief12mischief12 Member Posts: 1
    Help!! My 98 Blazer is having similar problems!! When it first starts (without a problem), it runs great. Once it warms up, it feels like it's starved for fuel. Pressing the gas pedal does not give it more fuel. Taking the throttle body sensor off makes no difference either. Took it to a mechanic for a "professional" diagnosis - they told me it was the fuel injection system. Put a new one on this weekend, still no dice. Can't move the truck as it won't get gas. So far have replaced: fuel injection system, throttle body sensor, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and EGR valve. Fuel pump does whir and kick in when key turned. Previous to not getting fuel completely, the Blazer was surging when I drove it and was not responsive to the gas pedal intermittently. Local parts store suggests IAC valve? Have over $1000 in parts invested and still no go. Please halp...any ideas greatly appreciated!!!
  • delluchidelluchi Member Posts: 3
    A night before i set on a journey from Switzerland to Germany my car show yellow warning light which warn about fuel, power etc the symbol look like a videocamera diagram.

After about 3 hour drive the car stop to accellerate. I listern to the fuel pum sound it sound fine but road patrol said the fuel dont run to injector. What can i do before i buy a new pumb whch cost about $1150 equivalent in Swiss Franc (Sfr.1350-)
  • slw2slw2 Member Posts: 5
    99 4WD 4.3 2D Blazer, 132K miles... in the past month or so, this has happened twice now. I commute and have to drive uphill on my way home. I'm cruising along at 65-70 and about 1/2 way up the hill, all of a sudden I'm losing power - seriously. I press the pedal for more gas and I feel like I'm going nowhere, almost like I've flooded the car. It's jerky (stutters). I let out off the gas, level out, try again and for the most part, it seems to get better. Check engine light has come on twice now. First time, I put fuel cleaner (cleans everything, not just the injectors & carb) and the light goes off. Second time, just put fuel & carb cleaner in and again light goes off. It's getting irritating. I use only one brand of gas, but it sounds like a fuel issue to me. Filter? Pump? I've about had it with this vehicle, biggest disappointment after trading in my 91 for it. Any advice here? Thanks.
    Sounds like a classic partially blocked fuel filter.
  • thesweetrosslgthesweetrosslg Member Posts: 28
    I have the same issue with mine but it only started after the tranny shop put a new 2-3 downshift sylanoid in and a new tranny computer and also has been starting ruff in the mornings at times they say its the MAF's thats bad
    i replaced the MAF's
    But whent back to autozone for them to check why the codes where still there
    They said its the same problem a Mechanic said it could possibly not bt the MAF sensor but the conectors and wires to the MAF so untill i get the cash to get that looked at and repairs i still have 3000 miles or so left on the warranty from the tranny work so im hoping that is what the problem is and then once i fix it if it dont go away then go back to tranny shop and get it looked at but i just thout i would add this here
  • dm4191968dm4191968 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 chevy blazer that stalls ever now and then. I will be driving down the road and the air bag light comes on and the gauges go crazy and the engine just stops. I turn off the ignition and it starts right back up and runs fine. This doesn't happen all the time, just every now and them. Any ideas on what might be causing this.
  • johnblazerjohnblazer Member Posts: 1
    I have the problem with my '94 Blazer that Bob1945 had. It idles fine and then as I drive it will surge. If I step down on the gas it will usually "pull out of it" but once back to mid-range speeds it wants to surge. I have replaced distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs, air filter, fuel filter, tpi, and maf sensor. I had a couple of mechanics look at it. One even had a Snap on diagnostic unit hooked up to it and it showed that everything was working properly. We even hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to it and held on to it through the window as we drove it and the fuel pressure held steady or even went up some during this time but still had the surging problem. I next installed another ground wire along with the ground strap that comes from the firewall to the engine block with no positive results. I am in the process of pulling the computer module but do not want to purchase a new ECM unit if this is not the problem. Anyone have any ideas???
  • rhollidayrholliday Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Blazer cranks fine and makes no noise but when I accelerate it makes a roaring noise it usually starts about 30mph and get really loud about 50mph and stays roaring until I slow back down under 30 mph or just stop completely and then as soon as I start going 30 mph or more hear comes the noise all over again.
    Can anyone tell me what might the cause?
    May be a stuck fan clutch. See if you can freely rotate the fan while the engine is off. If not, the clutch has failed and you are hearing the roar of the fan running faster than designed.

This will also affect fuel economy. The intent of the clutch is to let the fan freewheel when the air coming through the grill is moving faster than what the fan could pull in a hot condition. The fan clutch should be 'unlocked' when the engine is not running hot, and 'lock' when additional air flow is needed, such as stop and go traffic in the summer with the a/c on.
  • rkcrawf1rkcrawf1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. I purchased this Blazer a few months ago. Have you found out the cause of the problem? I took mind to a transmission place to make sure the transmissions was ok. No problems there. This has me puzzled.
  • sktctemplesktctemple Member Posts: 1
    Any luck on this? My 2000 GMC Safari surges in fist gear then stops when it gears up. If I "jump" on the accelerator it does not "surge", Any suggestions form anyone?
  • 2se2se Member Posts: 1
    i press on the accelerator and it goes up to about 2000 rpm slowly to 3000 rpm then it just goes down slowly i changed the catalyst just about a day ago and recently did a tune any suggestion will be greatly accepted
  • barneybbarneyb Member Posts: 1
    98 blazer vortec 4.3 just replaced ecm and fuel filter now start but stalls imediatly.can spray starting fluid in it runs until fluid is gone then dies.can anyone tell me what to check.motor is used and it ran fine until i had to replace computer due to the fact that my gauges were not working.
  • chopper7chopper7 Member Posts: 1
    see if the ecm needs to be flash
  • salb833801salb833801 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I drive a Jimmy and I started noticing that when I'm doing between 35 to 55 miles an hour the rpm's start to go wild. The muffler is making a weird sound too. can that be the issue? Any ideas anyone?
  • jbuchertjbuchert Member Posts: 1
    ok so heres the deal im doing some bassically charity work for some of the elderly in the communtiy yay for me right lol anywho so so thia truck was running ok but not well enough to pass emmisions so i gave it a tuneup adjusted the timing it was purring like a kitten the lady hits the highway to go have emmmisions done and boom it starts backfiring running rough all that good stuff so i ran the code it says ignition control module and o2 sensor i replaced them both started the trucki and it runs worse than when i started so as now im baffled i chexck the fuel pressure it say 58lbs and instantly dtrops and i mean drastically so i assume fuel pressure regulator wrong replaced it same prob any suggestions
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Still backfiring?

Try the Got a Quick, Technical Question discussion or Edmunds Answers.
  • jimbob24jimbob24 Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Blazer miss when i crank it when it is cold, it usually fires right up but lately it has been getting harder to fire up. After it warms up it runs fine, i have noticed just before it shift into second and third gear it miss real bad but when it shift it runs fine. When it gets to normal temp it runs great. A scan shows that no. 4 cyl is missing, once it said multiple cyl were missing. It has new plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter, i have checked or replaced the egr,pcv,maf, checked for leaks at intake, tb. Help, i dont where to look next.
  • pjean64pjean64 Member Posts: 1
    Well actually the dash lights do come on but not without the dome light!! I have a 2002 Chevy Blazer, 4 dr.. if this helps.. Tried not turn the dial too far but didn't work. I've looked in manual but there's nothing. Help please
  • hihhih Member Posts: 1
    My tuck is a Blazer 2000 4.3L and has 120,000 km on the clock, it is in generally in good condition, the problem is that when the truck is cold, it doesn’t start. The only way I can start it is by adding petrol/gas directly into the carburetor. The other issue I have is the car is lacking power. When I drive at low revs these is no problem, however. At when I step on the accelerator, nothing happens. It is as if I didn’t do anything.
    Please help.
  • wbaiseywbaisey Member Posts: 1
    I was having same problem with my 97 blazer. Replaced fuel pump and changed plugs wires distributer cap rotor and was fine for a minute but still wouldnt start have the time without using startstarter fluid. Eventually it got worse and would suddenly bog down and lose all power. Code reader read o2 sensor and or fuel too lean . we changed all sensors. When it happened again we cleaned the MAF (mass air flow ) and was better for a minute but not long. We have tested the fuel pressure and it seems fine. Except a couple of irratical moments when the meter went bizurk. We have tested just about everything with no improvement. Broke down last night when it kept dying on our way home
    As cold as it was my husband was curious and opened the good and started tapping on the throttle position sensor, and the MAF with his flashlight. ( by tapping I mean banging). Believe it or not we made it all the way home with no further problems. Just droke to the post office and still no problem. Gonna look into this more with our mechanic

• chevyman1994chevyman1994 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 chevy blazer that has a loud exhaust. The truck starts fine and idles fine. But the issue is when I'm driving the truck will start to bog and sound like it's misfiring or not getting gas. When I'm stoped at a traffic light you can feel the truck kinda have a vibration almost Idk. And then when I go to accelerate it like dosent have much power almost like it's chugging and starving for gas. And you can hear it doing it. Been then when I hit the gas more it dosent do it as bad but you can still hear it kinda.. And it will back fire as well a Little??  
    I hope somebody has a answer for me !!!??? Thank you 
  • Peanut18Peanut18 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 blazer it drives normal until third gear then it idles up and seems to be in neutral... What's the problem
  • celt1954celt1954 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Chevy Blazer with basically the same issues as chevyman1994, but not the loud exhaust. I have a basic knowledge of auto engines, but as a 65-yesr-old woman, I no longer can climb into the engine compartment like I used to. Is this issue possibly fuel filter related, and how much does replacement typically cost at a shop?
  • Nmbr1bossNmbr1boss Member Posts: 1
    A lot of these issues with the blazers is very commonly caused by the distributor. It is recommended to check the distributor every 30,000 miles. You see a distributor has a gear on the bottom and connects to a separate gear on the internal side of the motor. The gear on the distributor is made of a softer metal so it won't hurt the internal gear that it turns with. The gear on the distributor will wear down and for some reason the blazers where down quite frequently. When this gear wears down it will throw off the the timing/firing order. This will cause a misfire ( p0300 multiple random misfire). Now remember when your car is struggling and you don't fix it right away it will cause problems with other parts. For instance misfires push raw fuel out the exhaust and into the catalytic converter. It will render the converter useless. As well raw fuel can cause damage to an 02 sensor. If you don't fix your car right away understand which domino effect you are starting so you can current it all at once. Saves money and time.
  • PearsonmikePearsonmike Member Posts: 1
    2000 chevy blazer i can not unlock my window from the rear push button or the dash push button. i need the electrical diagram, so i can trouble shoot this problem. do anybody have this?