Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Considering used CR-V

kanexplorerkanexplorer Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Honda
We are ready to go from mini van (venture) to SUV. Have narrowed down to CR-V, will be daily driver for wife and primary family vehicle (family of 4).
Local dealer has 03 CRV auto 4 cyl AWD w/29K for 15300.
Seems to be a good deal, do you all agree.
I do not realy need the AWD, what is the benefit of having the AWD? Is it worth the 2-3 MPG sacrifice over the 2wd? Does the back seat have a fold down cup holder in the middle?
Is it comfortable on trips , we travel no further than 5 hrs.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• harvey44harvey44 Member Posts: 178
    Look carefully at all the spot welds. If it is from snow country at all.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Hondas are problematic buys used because of the high resale vale. Wait a year or 2 and buy a new one. Also, diesel CRV will be available in fall 08. 4wh is more complex and less fuel efficient than 2wd. I personally would not buy a used 4wd.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    It has a cupholder in the middle arm rest. Another good feature is that the rear window flips up independent of the tailgate. If it is an EX the moon roof is useless in my opinion.
    The MPG issue is too small to make or break the deal.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Local dealer has 03 CRV auto 4 cyl AWD w/29K for 15300. Seems to be a good deal, do you all agree. "

I owned a 2003 CR-V EX for a couple of years (bought new). It is a good vehicle.

The price seems OK for the mileage, but I personally would go for a 2005 or 2006, when they added 5 speed transmissions (the 2003 is a 4 speed), and added the stereo controls to the steering wheel. There were other minor changes, such as both driver and passenger having the capability of locking all the doors. Also, they added the "SE" trim in 2005, which adds leather seating (if that appeals to you).

The AWD does not impact MPG to a large extent, probably 1 MPG or so. The EX trim adds factory tinted windows and alloy wheels, plus a 6 CD changer and other nice-to-have items. So the EX is worth it just for the other goodies.

A FEW of the 2003's have been having trouble with A/C compressor failures, but Honda America has been VERY generous with paying for damage (often fully covering the damages even at 70-80K miles). However, they look at the maintenance records. Check to be sure that the maintenance history has been documented BY THE DEALER for this vehicle. That way Honda will be more generous should something go wrong at a later date.

As I said, I myself would get a 2005 or 2006, even if they had higher mileage. Hondas (if properly maintained) will go for a LONG time, so the mileage is somewhat less important.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,702
    2005 gets 16" wheels and stability control, also, right? If at all possible, I'd want to move up to an '05, as well..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

"2005 gets 16" wheels and stability control, also, right? If at all possible, I'd want to move up to an '05, as well.."

Sheesh, let me finish editing my original post, will ya?

Yes, these are two very good additions as well, although personally the 16" wheels would not be important to me...
    16" wheels more for looks, than actual performance.. The '02-'04 models look "under-tired"...

Unless you were going to edit that in, also? lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• esteezeesteeze Member Posts: 102
    "Local dealer has 03 CRV auto 4 cyl AWD w/29K for 15300. Seems to be a good deal, do you all agree. "

I had an 03 Honda CR-V EX that I just sold today. Had 52K miles, and was in pretty good shape (well maintained).

I got $14,600 for it.

All things being equal, $15,300 sounds pretty good considering the low mileage.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    also 2005 and 2006 CRV's have STANDARD 6 AIRBAGS.... which is very important if carrying a baby.
    I just purchased a used 2005 2WD LX, 13,000miles sold by its first owner, for $15,600. Owner replaced the steel wheels with the EX Alum wheels and gave for free the original steel wheels (+ OEM tires) to me. Ordered a cargo cover on line and professionally tinted the rear windows, all for an extra $350...and my CRV looks like an EX ( W/O sunroof).
    You could get a much lower price if shopping around for a 2005-06 CRV sold by owner. Because this SUV is HOT @ $3+/gal, dealers usually charge $1800-$2500 more + TAXES+ doc fees.
    In my area ( S-E Michigan) for 1-2 years old used CRV's , dealers are asking close to brand new price.
    Don't expect, though, the soft and quiet ride of a minivan. CRV has a jolty, stiffy and noisy ride compared to minivans. Test drive one before deciding. A Toyota Rav4 or 4cyl Highlander would aleviate this inconvenient, IMO
    "wner replaced the steel wheels with the EX Alum wheels and gave for free the original steel wheels (+ OEM tires) to me. Ordered a cargo cover on line and professionally tinted the rear windows, all for an extra $350...and my CRV looks like an EX ( W/O sunroof)."

... And the fact that all 2005 EX had RT4WD.

Congrats on your purchase!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    also 2005 and 2006 CRV's have STANDARD 6 AIRBAGS.... which is very important if carrying a baby.

From what research have shown, air bags actually kill babies on impact. Babies have lower mass that adults, and the explosive black powder in the air bag is designed to slow down an adult from hiting the pillars, or what not, not a light weight baby.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    thanks!
    FYI: not all 2006 EX CRV's are 4WD. There are some 2WD too. This in the context that 2005 and 2006 CRV's are similar.
    "FYI: not all 2006 EX CRV's are 4WD. There are some 2WD too. This in the context that 2005 and 2006 CRV's are similar."

Ah? I didn't realize that the 2006 came with FWD EX. I thought that came in with the 2007 model. Thanks for the update!
    "From what research have shown, air bags actually kill babies on impact."

...which is why it is illegal to have kids in the front seat in most states.

The Federal government allows one to disable the front airbags if the family has so many children that one of them HAS to ride up front.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    I think that one other differance is the 2006 came with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and braking assist where the 2005 does not. Other than that very close

...MNF
    "I think that one other differance is the 2006 came with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and braking assist where the 2005 does not."

EBD was standard equipment on my 2003 CR-V EX, along with Anti-lock brakes.
  • sceglascegla Member Posts: 20
    From my understanding, the only difference was a $100 price increase. Not even the color selections changed... the '05s and '06s are identical vehicles.
    Thanks I may be wrong on the EBD just going off car comparing sites. I do belive on the SE the 06 came with Traction control but not on the 05 and the powertrain warranty went from 36k to 60k

MNF
    "I do belive on the SE the 06 came with Traction control but not on the 05 and the powertrain warranty went from 36k to 60k "

Not sure which sites you are using, but (again), my 2003 CR-V had traction control. I used it a couple of times in the winter.

Hmmm, it's been a couple of years since I sat in that 2003, I think it had traction control. Any 2003 owner's want to speak up?
    My '02, which I thought was identical to an '03, does not have traction control...

Are we confusing traction control with stability control? Usually traction control is only used to modulate torque steer on higher powered FWD engines (like the Accord V-6).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I do belive on the SE the 06 came with Traction control but not on the 05 and the powertrain warranty went from 36k to 60k

The 05 and 06 are identical, except that 06 came with 60,000 miles powertrain warranty.
    This from the Honda.com site not sure if it is correct maybe someone can clarify

the 05 had
    Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®)

http://automobiles.honda.com/certified/specifications.asp?ModelName=CR-V&ModelYear=2005

the 06
    Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) with Traction Control

http://automobiles.honda.com/certified/specifications.asp?ModelName=CR-V&ModelYear=2006

Thanks... MNF
    "My '02, which I thought was identical to an '03, does not have traction control... "

Well, they do have different size cubby holes in the dash :surprise: I still can't believe Honda did that one in the 2002...

Not sure if I believe the used Honda specs posted in the above URL in all regards; I am positive that EBD was included in the ABS system, but it is not listed there. Do you recall that? I remember because it was one of the reasons I wanted the EX.
    No idea on EBD..

Yeah.. the cubby hole. Let's put a hole in the dash that is just a little too small to hold a CD case.. Just to screw with their heads. :surprise:

Also.... forget the power lock switch for the passenger. Who would ever use that?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Also.... forget the power lock switch for the passenger. Who would ever use that?

My Japan built 05 has passenger door lock switch.
    "My Japan built 05 has passenger door lock switch."

IIRC, they added it in 2004.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    "My '02, which I thought was identical to an '03, does not have traction control... "

Well, they do have different size cubby holes in the dash I still can't believe Honda did that one in the 2002...

They also added a coat hook in the back. They changed the interior color for the Taffeta White models. Along with the cubby hole enlargement I think that was all for '02 to '03.
  • jday1960jday1960 Member Posts: 2
    I have 4 children (3rd grade - high school). I need a vehicle that gets 20+ mpg, but will hold all four kids for carpool and such. We have a Yukon XL for the longer rides. My 99 Expedition with 150k is about to kill me gas wise (10mpg I am not proud to say).

Does anyone fit four plus the driver into a CRV and if so what year. Also, we live in a pretty hilly community and I am worried about pulling a some of the hills around here with a loaded small SUV like the CRV.

\Thanks.
    "Does anyone fit four plus the driver into a CRV and if so what year. Also, we live in a pretty hilly community and I am worried about pulling a some of the hills around here with a loaded small SUV like the CRV. "

I have often put 5 in my CR-V. Mine was a Gen 2 (2002 - 2006), but the Gen 3 is even wider than the Gen 2. So you should not have any problem fitting 4 kids, especially since the older one can sit up front without worrying about the airbags. I have taken several long trips with 5 people, including into the mountains.
  • jday1960jday1960 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Now I just have to find one that's not $2000 over book value!!
    Thanks for the info. Now I just have to find one that's not $2000 over book value!!

Good luck. They were rated number 1 SUV to have. you may have better luck negotiating on the new CR-V, than finding a deal on a used one. What's there not to like:
    - capacity to carry 5 comfortably
    - AWD that lets you do mild to moderate off-roading
    - safety all around (air bags, ABS....)
    - convinience (power everything even on the low-end models)
    - excellent fuel economy, on par with many mid-size sedans.

I could get what I paid for mine, almost. And it is 3 years old. :)
  • mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    Today I bought a 2000 CRV SE w/leather with 113K mi. At 110 it had just had the whole nine yards of maintenance and had been well maintained throughout it's life. (owned by a local Dr.) I got it for $6,000. Does this sound reasonable to anyone? The edmunds value was around $8,000 but I haven't seen a lot of recent sales of these. They sure seem to command a pretty penny. Reactions?
    Looks like a good price... How has that leather held up?

I just traded my '02 to the dealer for $9K, and it has 106K miles... He put it on the lot for $12,999..

I realize the 2000 is a different model, but it sounds like you did well...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The leather is great. There's one small crack in the drivers seatback on the left side. The rest looks pristine. There are some rust areas inside the drivers door and passenger rear door that are going to be repaired next Wednesday by a company that does antique restorations. That will cost about $300. The rest of the vehicle is near flawless. Years ago I owned a 1999 CR-V that I kept for a few years before trading on an Accord. I always wished I'd kept that vehicle. This one is nearly the same and the daughter loves it so In the long run it worked out OK. I've read quite a bit about these vehicles running well for many miles. Hope this is the case for this one. I'd like to get about 200K out of it.
  • lynnejacob2001lynnejacob2001 Member Posts: 9
    Note: I accidently posted this in the First Generation discussion. I've moved it here. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm in the process of helping my son replace a '98 subaru wagon he wrecked on his way back to school. He really wants another subaru and I really want him to consider a CRV and a RAV4. I've done a ton of research on checking out used Subaru's. For example, I know to check for head gasket issues. It seems every Subaru we've looked at has head gasket issues or catalytic converter problems or bad CV joints.

What should I look out for on a CRV?

Most of the vehicles in his price range are over 100K miles (1997-2000). How can I tell if the valves are burnt? Is it possible to tell if the timing belt has been replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lynne
    We've had ours for about 4 months and 4K mi. It's been great and trouble free. Just put new tires on. I've taken it on a few road trips and would have no hesitation in taking it on a long trip. Granted, ours had been very well maintained by the previous owner but I think these vehicles will, by and large, stand the test of time. From what I've read, the 1st generation is the most trouble free. I've always hesitated in buying a high mileage vehicle, until I found one I could get the maintenance history for. That's the key. If it was properly maintained you should have no problem getting at least 200K - 250K out of these vehicles.
  • lynnejacob2001lynnejacob2001 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your reply. I would love to find a private owner sale. These vehicles are very scarce in Richmond, Va. The only CRV's are on small sellers lots. I've only had the carfax reports to go by in most cases.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One trick that occasionally works is to cruise a big parking lot for clean CR-Vs of the approximate year you are looking for. Wait for the owner(s) to come back and strike up a conversation (assuming they look approachable and you don't look like a mugger :) ). "I'm thinking of buying a CR-V and how do you like your Honda?" etc. If it's a lemon, they'll be sure and let you know, and you can withdraw gracefully.

Otherwise, ask them if they've looked at the new body style and if they have thought about buying a new one. Then you tell them you'd be interested in buying their old one and here's how you can contact me.

Hopefully you'll get them curious about a new one, and they'll visit the showroom, knowing they have a potential buyer in the wings.
  • newkidintownnewkidintown Member Posts: 3
    Hi all!

I'm looking into a Honda CR-V to replace my 1990 Ford Taurus - a change, I know, but I could use something a little sportier with the roof rack, etc. But truly I need something reliable and sturdy.

I've found a 2003 CR-V EX at a dealer with about 85k on it, dealer is asking 13k - which I see might be a little bit high.

My question: should I be put off by the higher mileage and look for something else? Should I expect some problems around the 100k mark or can I look forward to many years with this vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm looking forward to poking through the forum more!

-NK
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think the only potential big issue on 03/04 is the AC, but that is an expensive one of it goes.
  • madams1madams1 Member Posts: 101
    As posted the main issue is going to be the A/C going out and this could cost a lot if it explodes. I have a 2003 and so far it is ok at 93k. I would not pay 13K for a used 2003 CRV. Is it an LX or an EX.
  • johnnymurphjohnnymurph Member Posts: 35
    Hello, everyone. I have been looking at CR-V's since August, and used prices have not changed at all. I have the opportunity to buy a 2006 SE (38,000 miles) for $17,000. A new 2010 EX-L can be purchased for about $28,000. As you can see, $11,000 difference. In some ways, I like the older style better, and the price definitely fits. Which way would everyone go? Is the new style that much of an improvement? Probably comes down to preference, but the 06 style still is a sharp vehicle. Thanks for any and all input.
    I have the opportunity to buy a 2006 SE (38,000 miles) for $17,000. A new 2010 EX-L can be purchased for about $28,000. As you can see, $11,000 difference.

I think the 2006 SE sold for as little as $23,000 in September of 2007...

I agree, Gen 2, 2.5 is a better looking CR-V than Gen 3, and 3.5, which looks like purse on wheels.

Besides, by Honda eliminating the availability of manual transmission on the CR-V has completley castrated the CR-V.
  • johnnymurphjohnnymurph Member Posts: 35
    What I can find, MSRP was almost $25,000 on the '06 SE. I have looked at so many '06's, and this is the best price I have found on a SE. Are they still this popular, or are people making a statement by desiring the Gen. 2 & 2.5 to such a high degree? The dealer is offering to honor the 5yr/60,0000 original warranty, which will give me about a year remaining. Thanks for the help. Still undecided. Has anyone owned both the Gen. 2 & 3? If so, can you share your views and findings?
    Honestly, unless you get a particularly great deal, I think you are usually better off buying Honda or Toyota new because of their generally slower depreciation than many other makes. This will be particularly true of CRV because you don't find them in fleets or rental lots much, if at all. You probably should drive the newer gen CRV and decide for yourself which you prefer. The new CRV has become the top seller in its segment so unless you're locked to it you may be do better on a deal for a RAV-4 or other competitor. It really becomes a personal call, but I think the 06 is overpriced for what you get for the money they want.
  • ckcrvckcrv Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone explain the difference between AWD and a 4 WD in the CRV family. Is the 2002 the first year with that package since it has the distinction of being the 1st year of the 2.4 Motor ?

Please anyone may answer ,I am considering giving $6300 for a 2002 w/AWD tommorrow. Thanks in advance .
    Can anyone explain the difference between AWD and a 4 WD in the CRV family. Is the 2002 the first year with that package since it has the distinction of being the 1st year of the 2.4 Motor ? Forgot to mention it is an EX .
    CRV comes as FWD or AWD, but its AWD is really FWD with a differential that kicks some power to the rear axles when needed. You won't be offroading in one. Make sure that AWD differential has been maintained with regular fluid changes because it, along with A/C seem to be a bit of a weak point.
    Thanks.
    So AWD is totally self activating? I suppose that's OK, what about the Overdrive,does it have to be off at the time ? Overall does $6300 seem like a fairly good price? It was owned by an elderly couple ,but I can't contact them. If A/C has not been repaired properly is that a dealbreaker ?
    AWD is self activating and D means its in overdrive, not an issue. I don't think you can do much on the AC. When it goes, the whole system needs to be replaced, not just the compressor, because the system usually gets fouled. It will run you around $3K. Prices are local, you just need to check around.
This discussion has been closed.