Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Considering used CR-V

2»

Comments

• ckcrvckcrv Member Posts: 7
    Well I went and bought it !
    A 2002 Burgandy CRV EX. w/AWD . I have owned 1/2 a dozen Hondas including the GoldWing Gl1100 2 wheeler and I am more excited about this one than any of the other Hondas.. They were all Accords and 1 Civic . This CRV makes it seem like you are in a full size SUV but turns as well as My Accords. Just feels like the power is perfect for the vehicle . I love that 2.4 Vtec.
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    hi guys, i am going to check out this used crv-it only has 20,000 miles on it and the dealer wants $16,000 for it. the carfax looks ok-maintenance records look good-the only problem i see right now is it just ran out of warranty. is that real important? i wish i could buy the honda extended warranty, what are my other options if i like it?
    i also saw a similar 07 lx awd for $17,000 with 33,000 miles and it is certified-don't really want awd but the certified might be worth it.
  • tocatoca Member Posts: 147
    If they are both '07 LX's and you don't need AWD, then go for fewer miles and less money.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Thanks.
    So AWD is totally self activating? I suppose that's OK, what about the Overdrive,does it have to be off at the time ? Overall does $6300 seem like a fairly good price? It was owned by an elderly couple ,but I can't contact them. If A/C has not been repaired properly is that a dealbreaker ?

The AWD is contained in the rear differential, which is substantially different from other rear differentials, and requires regular fluid changes with Honda Dual Pump Fluid. There is no substitute...

As to overdrive, I assume you are talking automatic. The OD button use is described in the OWNER's MANUAL. Whoever you purchase the vehicle from should include it. It is part of the vehicle, just like the seats, engine, and wheels are. Deduct $80 for the missing manual, and get one your self.

Manual CR-V has 5 speed overdrive transmission with a spacer for the 6th gear, which a number of people have replaced with a 6th gear from Acura TSX/RSX-S for a slittle as $300 plus labor.
    Well I went and bought it !
    A 2002 Burgandy CRV EX. w/AWD . I have owned 1/2 a dozen Hondas including the GoldWing Gl1100 2 wheeler and I am more excited about this one than any of the other Hondas.. They were all Accords and 1 Civic . This CRV makes it seem like you are in a full size SUV but turns as well as My Accords. Just feels like the power is perfect for the vehicle . I love that 2.4 Vtec.

Congrats... now it is time to make sure you start from a fresh start. Replace all the fluids with geniuine Honda fluids, and make sure you put the proper grade of engine oil. "Better oil" is not better for this engine.

The 2.4 with a manual is a real beast. When it first came out on the Accord, TOV Estimated it having 180 hp at the crank. Automatic CR-V is 2 seconds slower to 60 than the manual CR-V.
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    so you don't think the awd and it being certified is worth the extra $1,000? i know it has 13,000 more miles-didn't get to see either of them because of icy roads here-its a shame they are located about 50 miles apart-i need to see them. do you think $16,000 is a decent price for an 07?
    Based on appraisal prices, $16k is a fair price. Can't hurt to make a lower offer either.

However, it looks like you are near the Chicago area where snow and ice are the norm during the winter months. If it were me, I'd buy the AWD CRV for the extra cash. 33k miles means it's still a baby. If you end up getting the AWD CRV, ask for service records. In particular, ask if the differential fluid has been changed. Again make a lower offer (especially if no service has been done), the worse thing they can say if you offer a lower $$ amount is no, right?
  • ckcrvckcrv Member Posts: 7
    Congrats... now it is time to make sure you start from a fresh start. Replace all the fluids with genuine Honda fluids, and make sure you put the proper grade of engine oil. "Better oil" is not better for this engine.

Thanks , I have always believed that Original Honda fluids were the best idea. The dealers in the area use Bulk Oil (Mobil Brand) .Other than an Oil Change they use 100% Honda fluids. I can buy the Honda quarts and do that part myself at the time,or just make sure they use Honda Oil I suppose . I appreciate the info very much ,CK
    Yes, I'm interested in what blueiedgod means by ""Better oil" is not better for this engine" I've used nothing but Mobil 1 in my '03 Pilot. 128k miles later and it runs and sounds great. Not attributing it completely to Mobil 1, but at a minimum, synthetic oil allows me to extend changes.
    Thanks , I have always believed that Original Honda fluids were the best idea. The dealers in the area use Bulk Oil (Mobil Brand) .Other than an Oil Change they use 100% Honda fluids. I can buy the Honda quarts and do that part myself at the time,or just make sure they use Honda Oil I suppose . I appreciate the info very much ,CK

I was not referring to Honda engine oil, that you can get anywhere, as long as they use the proper grade, filter and replace the single use crush washer.

I was referring to the PSF, ATF/MTF, DPF, brake fluid and coolant.
    Yes, I'm interested in what blueiedgod means by ""Better oil" is not better for this engine" I've used nothing but Mobil 1 in my '03 Pilot. 128k miles later and it runs and sounds great. Not attributing it completely to Mobil 1, but at a minimum, synthetic oil allows me to extend changes.

Some poeple have this notion that 5W-20 or 0W-20 recommended by Honda is too "thin" and does not provide adequate protection. So, they put in the oil their grandfather used to use, which is like molasses compared to modern multi-grade oils.

The viscosity of the oil has no bearing on its lubricity. It is the lubricity of the oil that is important, but also, its ablity to get into the oil passages, which are designed for a specific flow characteristic based on the oil specified by the manufacturer.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    I think what some don't understand either, is the 5W20 and 5W30 will perfrom the same in cold temepratures when you first start-up hte engine. But a few minutes later when the engine is up to temp, the 5W30 will have a hgiher viscosity, and depending on the desing of the oil pump and oil passages, might have a lower flow rate and ceratin oil jets and orifices that lubricate and cool certain components, may be sized for a lower viscosity oil.

So you could cause some issues, increase engine wear and will reduce fuel economy using a heavier weight oil.
  • phoberphober Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering purchasing a 2008 CRV EX-L with 27K miles on it offered at 19K (private party) vs. a new 2010 EX with the slightly larger engine (Can't afford a new EX-L). After reading some of the posts, I'm concerned about a used vs new...but I think this is a good deal and if I buy an extended warranty separately, it may be OK.
    Any Thoughts??
    I'm considering purchasing a 2008 CRV EX-L with 27K miles on it offered at 19K (private party) vs. a new 2010 EX with the slightly larger engine (Can't afford a new EX-L). After reading some of the posts, I'm concerned about a used vs new...but I think this is a good deal and if I buy an extended warranty separately, it may be OK.
    Any Thoughts??

I think you need to do more research before you buy it.

Cr-V has had the same displacement engine since 2002 model year. The power ratings, and power output have changed, the engine is still the same size.

As to used vs. new, that is something only you can make a desicion about. We just bought a 2010 CR-V EX in July for about $23,000.

Is faux leather worth $4000 to you? Is the new car warranty and no miles worth anything to you?
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Is faux leather worth $4000 to you? Is the new car warranty and no miles worth anything to you? "

Is it really fake? I thought it was actual leather...
    edited October 2010
    "Is faux leather worth $4000 to you? Is the new car warranty and no miles worth anything to you? "

Is it really fake? I thought it was actual leather...

I believe Honda literature states that the vehicle has, "Leather seating surfaces" which in lawyer talk simply means the center portion of the seat, the perforated part is actual animal leather, and the rest is pleather.

You have to decide why you want leather. It is not really that good of a surface for a vehicle seat. Suede or faux suede aka alacantra, is a much better seating surface.
This discussion has been closed.