Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche Noise and Vibration

snidebjsnidebj Member Posts: 5
edited November 2017 in Chevrolet
I have a 07 Av LTZ and have had a problem since day one with it. Its a drivers side wind noise coming from either the drivers side door or the drivers side rear door. Starts about 55 mph and gets increasingly worse as the speed increases. It doesn't leak when raining out or going thru the car wash. But, the damn wind noise when cruising down the highway just sucks and is annoying as hell.

Anyone had this problem and is there a fix?

Comments

• ac4666ac4666 Member Posts: 2
    Any one have a problem trying to isloate a dragging/rubbing problem on your 2005 Avalanche. I have the Avalanche LT 4X4. My dealer says it's tires; but, I've went to Michelins now (quieter) and the noise is more noticeable. Thanks! Skip
  • ac4666ac4666 Member Posts: 2
  • caskeycaskey Member Posts: 1
    snidebj,

I had the same problem with my '05. The molding at the top of the door was creased slightly. Sometimes when the window was rolled up it would create a small gap not enough for water to leak in but enough to make that iritating noise. I straightened out the molding and have not had a problem since.
    Hope this helps.
  • glassman77glassman77 Member Posts: 1
    No sound inside my Avalanche...No radio, no open door ding, no clicking from the blinkers..nothing. Would this be a speaker issue, maybe a fuse?
  • 4door24door2 Member Posts: 1
    I have one and it as a lot of air noise I have taken it back 2 times and the are telling me that it is within tolerances. Any ideas it seems that it is an excuse.
  • rocky07rocky07 Member Posts: 9
    Go back to your dealer and ask him to show you the wind noise on the "Options" list or "Features" list on your window sticker. Nonsense. File a complaint with the BBB or go to another dealer.
  • asylum575asylum575 Member Posts: 72
    I had an 04 Avalanche that needed the intermediate steering column repacked. From what I heard at the time, it was common in this truck. I'm now looking at the new 08 Avalanche. Is this still a problem. I think there was a service bulletin for it, but no corrective remedy(recall) on it.

Thanks
  • jrmolinajrmolina Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 AV LT with 10K miles. Right after buying it, it started making this popping noise after the engine is warm. It only happens while turning and as the car gets warmed up the louder the popping is. You can even feel it under the drivers pedals. Te dealer insists that is the lubrication on the frame mounts but this only helps 1 or 2 days. Any one has had this problem?
  • mondo24mondo24 Member Posts: 1
    asylum575, I have a 03 GMC Sierra Denali (by the way Sierra Denali is a :lemon: ) and they did the same thing with mine! Later they had to replace my steering shaft. Lucky it was covered under warranty.
  • phil001phil001 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Avalanche makes a popping noise when I turn to the left or right. The dealer has replaced the steering Column twice and the inter fenders once but the truck still sounds like the wheels may fall off> All tires are good and all lug nuts are fine. Can anyone suggest :lemon: what I can do to fix> Oh milage is 50,000 nut the noise started at about 20,000
  • frank013frank013 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Avalanche, for the past few days when you have your foot on the gas, its okay. But when you take foot off, it sounds like air is going through something. Wife says sounds likes plane taxing into airport, but not that loud. Took it in, tech took it for a ride. Then put it on the rack, said everything looked okay, spun the tires, check to see if anything was loose, nada. Any suggestions.
  • gspeakergspeaker Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Avalanche that had a leaking transfer case. My dealer wanted 1350.00 to replace the case. I went to a local transmission shop and found that at around 80,000 mile THEY ALL WILL LEAK. There is a flaw in the design of the pump inside that allows the pump to slam back and forth till it beats a hole in the case in 4 places. My DEALER knows of NO problem,???, however 4 transmission shops have shown me dozens of cases that have done this and a repair kit is avalible to correct the flaw. Has anyone had this happen??. Mine was repaired WITH the kit for 635.00

Greg
  • grneyedgrneyed Member Posts: 2
    I have had a never ending problem with a vibration in my 04 Avalanche. Today it is in the shop again after having taken it in 6 times within the last 2 years for the same issues. Each time they tell me its normal and give me Bulletin # such as # 1874365 , # 03-08-61-002h and #06-08-61-003a
    The following is a list of some of the things they have done to try and reslove the issues as of 01/09/07 Interm Shaft Exercise/Stroke 01/31/07 Crossmember front suspension replace, 03/15/07 Pump assy , power steering - replace, 03/15/07 Hanger and or clamp exhaust system replace, 05/25/07 Lubed balljoints, tierods, pitman, idler arm, service tech still noted hearing issues they showed me bulletin # 03-08-61-002h AGAIN, they then removed the front crossmember and lube and added washers performed road test then found bullentin #06-08-61-003A and then they installed body mounts.

Today the service department checked my truck again and of course was quick to say NOW I am out of warrenty. After long debate and calling Chevy Customer service and opening a case they are going to fix the issues that were long reported BEFORE the warrenty expired. Now they are saying they are replacing the Interm Shaft (instead of just exercising it like the did in Jan 2007) and they are going to re check the suspension.
    My advice if you are having issues keep taking it in, Keep getting it noted and if the issue is not resloved to your satification call Chevy Customer Service at 800-222-1020. That way when you are out of warrenty it showes you were trying to get it resloved when it was still in warrenty.

Cross your fingers that this time when I get it back it will be repaired (I HOPE) and no more Bullentins
  • krashfreewaykrashfreeway Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Z71 Avalanche with 99,500 miles on it. Just recently, I heard a very metallic rattle coming from below the truck while driving. It was at low frequency at low speeds, and increased in frequency until about 25mph, and then went away. I figured it was a heat shield that broke loose, so I looked underneath and everything seems secure. The noise is not made if the truck is being revved in park...only while driving - I think that rules out the cat/exhaust. It happens in 2WD & 4WD. Any body have a similar issue?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Why would it rule out the catalytic? My Jeep's catalytic sounds like a can of marbles when driving, but quiet when idling.

Take a rubber mallet to the catalytic. If it rattles, there's your problem.

You may also want to check the various fittings/connections to see if anything is loose. I've had rattles that I was SURE are suspension, but it was just a d-shackle swinging when I applied brakes/gas. :)

Have you had any maintenance or mods done recently?

-Paul
  • jiml3222jiml3222 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar issue starting at 106K miles. Sound was heard under 25 mph and was intermittantly more pronounces as I made slow-speed turns. I suspected that it might be a front brake part dragging. I had the brakes inspected. Brakes were fine, but not the wheel bearing on the drivers side. That cost $420 to repair including AAA discount. BTW - any brake jobs I suggest replacing with ceramic pads rather than bi-metalic pads. They are worth their weight in new rotors!
    Durastop pads and rotors. :) Incredible performance - and from GM. :)

-Paul
  • boggsy1boggsy1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an '02 avalanche. It just started moderately vibrating between 63 and 73 miles per hour. Slower is ok and faster is ok. Bought new tires in April and haven't had any problems until now. Jacked it up and nothing seems loose, tires have no bulges or defects on the outside. Alignment? Help!
    Did you get an alignment? If you lifted it, the front wheel camber will be off and will need an alignment or the outer edges of the tires will cup and you'll get vibes.

-Paul
  • roy40roy40 Member Posts: 1
    If I apply the brakes and stop with the wheels turned left or right (as at a 'T' intersection) there is a wierd noise like a brake dragging or a locked-up differential. It's wierd because it doesn't make the noise if the wheelsremain straight when stopped. I can then turn them and there's no noise. What gives?
  • stary_raystary_ray Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. I replaced the rotor and pads and I still seem to have the same problem. Are the pads supposed to slide easily on the rails? To move the pad on the inside of the rotor I must tap it pretty hard. Is that normal? The outside one seems to move by hand with slight resistance.
  • mrsmckinniemrsmckinnie Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2005 AVALANCHE AT FIRST IT WAS POPPING AND CLICKING EVERY TIME YOU TURN THE WHEEL SO WE TOOK IT IN TO GET FIXED THEY SAID IT WAS THE WHEEL BARRON OK SO THEY FIXED THAT ABOUT 2 WEEKS AFTER IT CAME BACK WE HEARD THE NOISE AGAIN SO WE TOOK IT BACK THEY SAID SOMETHING WAS LOOSE I GUESS SOMETHING THEY LEFT LOOSE OK SO NOW WE HEAR POPPING CLICKING IT SOUND LIKE A TEN SPEED AND TIRE HOW IT CLICKS AND IT GETS LOUDER WHEN YOU GO FASTER TOOK IT BACK IN THEY SAID THEY DONT KNOW WHERE THE NOISE COMING FROM OR THE PROBLEM HAS ANYBODY HAS THIS PROBLEM OR DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT COULD BE
    First off, turn off the all caps. Hard to read and I don't like being yelled at this early in the morning.

Secondly, does the sound change with increase or decrease with speed or is that clicking constant, regardless of speed? I'd check to see if you have anything wrapped around the driveshaft. Can you tell if it is coming from the front or back? Have you looked in the engine compartment to make sure the fan is all intact?

-Paul
  • 1233fire1233fire Member Posts: 1
    2003 Z71 with 111,000 miles. While driving at 45 mph under slight acceleration on straight stretch of road, all of a sudden I hear an erratic clanking noise like a brake shoe came loose or a steering knuckle is separating (from my old jeep days). The clanking noise changed with the speed of the wheel as I applied the brake. There was no squealing or rubbing sound. Under the truck there was nothing showing abnormal. I was able to return home 2 miles under slow speed with occasional recurrence of the noise. It was significantly noisy like what you would expect if you had a pretty large piece of rubber hitting the body or undercarriage as the wheel turned. It was not constant as you would have with a separating tread. It really sounded like a large metal object. Any suggestions on what might be the problem? Thank you
  • jimdel1jimdel1 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2005 Chev Avalanche 350 V-8 with 95,000 miles.

Have slight vibration at idle and when reached 40 mph.

Had Tranny and Torque converter checked. They are fine.

Engine and transmission mounts were replaced.

Universal and CV joints replaced a while ago.

The mechanic is now saying that vibration could be internal to the engine.

Any suggestions.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    I see that you’re already working with your mechanic to diagnose the vibration concern you described. If Customer Assistance can help you work with your dealer towards resolving this, please email Christina with your name, contact information, VIN, and dealer name.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • policek9unitpolicek9unit Member Posts: 1
    hey everybody. I have a 02 avalanche with 146,000 miles on her. bought it back in July of 2011. All stock besides tail lights, strobes and dash lightbars. only put just under 3000 miles on it now since then. i noticed when going after being stopped at a light and then go at a normal slower speed instead of hammering it down that when it shifts i hear a noise. but if i give it a lil more gas after stopped it doesnt seem to do it. idk the owner before me has all records of everything done and i keep it well maintained to checking all fluids every week to even cleaning her 2+ times a week. but today was the most i noticed by far when i drove for about a hour. A few side streets and about 20-25 mins freeway But i only noticed it def. when it shifts from 1 to 2. My brother a mecanic so im going have him check it, but wanted to see if there was any other Av owners who had similar problems?

Thanks,
    Glenn
  • dna9656dna9656 Member Posts: 1

No sound inside my Avalanche...No radio, no open door ding, no clicking from the blinkers..nothing. Would this be a speaker issue, maybe a fuse?

When I got my 06 Avi it came with an aftermarket radio in my Avi and have none of the normal car signals, like door open, clicks for the blinkers, do you have an aftermarket radio in yours?