Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Getting a new Outlander, CR-V or RAV4

13»

Comments

• chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    Outlander has no Chrysler parts: made in Japan. Honda cars on the other hand made in America using 59% American parts :)
    http://www.boston.com/cars/news/articles/2006/09/24/made_in_america_hard_to_tell- /
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    With 160 Hp and 4.450 lbs of gross weight, you shouldn't have any problems. As long as they are parked

0-60 in 8 seconds is pretty indicative of the vehicle's capabilities with just 4 cylinders.

Next...
  • comem47comem47 Member Posts: 399
    The V6 Outlander tows 3500 lbs. Now what is the towing on the CRV?
    How about the warranty differences?

Next....
  • piastpiast Member Posts: 269
    I hope 8 sec is not your optimistic estimate only. Can you point to any official specs page we can verify it? The numbers I was able to find were in the 10-12 sec range. And that changes everything... Outlander V6 time is 8.1 sec, and Rav4 V6 - 7.1 sec
    ( from Edmunds and Motor Trend tests). How exactly you are going to run dose circles again?
    “The base powertrain in the CRV is fine for normal family transportation. But as soon as you try to do things like tow, or fill it with four people and their cargo, or lower the back seats and load it with something heavy it's not up to the task”.
    “I agree with Edmunds. The CR-V is a very well laid out vehicle, but the engine is just lacking. It's fine around town, but hit the highway and catching up to traffic is another thing entirely”.
    “I do, getting on the highway where most cars do 65mph and trying to get up to speed is where the CR-V has problems. “
    “And I've driven through hills and mountains in upstate NY with my CR-V, the grade-logic does nothing. You simply must be in D3 mode. You don't even have to tow anything to feel the lag, just load it up with 4 adults and their cargo. “
    “0-60 in a leisurely 10 seconds is not adequate. And it gets worse when loaded up with people and cargo.”

You can read rest of the posts in this tread ” Honda loses yet another Edmunds comparo,” in one of the Honda entusiasts blogs, which name I can't mention here.
    The V6 Outlander tows 3500 lbs. Now what is the towing on the CRV?
    How about the warranty differences?

And what do you suggest I tow?

Besides, if you are regularly towing something that is 3500 lbs, maybe you should be looking into a body on frame vehicle, not a unibody?

Hondas come with 5 years/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Next....
    I hope 8 sec is not your optimistic estimate only. Can you point to any official specs page we can verify it? The numbers I was able to find were in the 10-12 sec range. And that changes everything... Outlander V6 time is 8.1 sec, and Rav4 V6 - 7.1 sec
    ( from Edmunds and Motor Trend tests). How exactly you are going to run dose circles again?

I tested mine with G-tech device.

Here is the old review from Edmunds for the 2002 model.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=48575/pageNumber=2

Next time I am in Chicago, I will show you exactly how I run circles around those vehicles...
    Hondas come with 5 years/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Next..

That's the bumper to bumper with roadside assistance on the Outlander. Powertrain is 10 yr/100K.

As for towing I regularly tow 1600 lbs effortlessly in winder. I have the ability to go to 3500. Most all the silimilar CUVs are 1000 lbs (Rav 4 is the same and Subaru is 2400). I'm Just referencing your original claim of running around the Outlander in circles with a CRV.. And I've gotten 27 mph on hwy (typical over 25). 20 is typical around town only driving. Did a rather nice job of hauling a 4X8 sheet of plywood and 8' 2X4's last week (with the tailgate down only 2 foot sticks beyond it.) That's what I call utility. Yes, my old Dakota and wife's Durango could haul more, but 15MPG on a good day. (I love parking the Outlander, tightest turning radius I've ever had).
    You are on.
    While 8.7 sec 0-60 from that article is really not bed, it is still slower than Mitsubishi and Rav4. Sorry, no circles for you this time. Try Escape forum .
    While old habits are hard to break (I even ordered a stick for my V8 Dakota back in '98 not for speed, but preference) I think it's a dream to think the 5 speed stick 4 cyl CRV is going to out accelerate the 220 HP 6 speed auto V6 Outlander.

Honda doesn't even offer a stick now (2009)anyway. So with currently available vehicles it's

166 HP 5 speed auto 4 cyl at 3549 lbs for the 4WD CRV to
    220 HP 6 speed auto V6 at 3781 lbs for the 4WD Outlander.
    (you can manually paddle shift at the wheel if you want).

But go ahead, flail away!!! and take on the 269 HP RAV 4 while at it. :P
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    I think he's comparing 4 cylinder models here... with similar equipment, pricing and fuel economy.

I think he's also comparing the lighter Gen 2.5 with the 5 speed manual.

So not really a fair comparison all around.

It's not a secret that the 3rd genration CR-V won't win any races. But most folks that buy Hondas but them for the all around package, not the raw power under the hood.

If a RAV4 had the same steering, brakes and ergonomics as the CR-V, and didn't have the weird interior styling, I would consider it.

Also, peak horsepower numbers don't show how a engine performs in the bottom end and midrange where it's driving in the real world 99% of the time. I don't spend all day redlining my CR-V.
    If you read article 102 he made the boast:

"I'll just keep my 05 He-RV with a clutch and run circles around V6 powered SheUV's." (Impliing a stick is more important than displacement).

Torque is what is key (hp can be peaky, but low end torque is what accelerates from a rest and makes a vehicle more drivable in traffic vs high rpm rice rocket that needs to slip the clutch at 5K to move from rest.)
  • lori56lori56 Member Posts: 19
    Yes, I also find that in most cars my left leg goes numb, but in the '09 CRV, I am more comfortable, and my leg doesn't lean against the door.... I have a '04 Rav 4, and that car now seems cramped in comparison... I also find the CRV to give a smoother ride...
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    Acceleration is a combination of torque and gearing. A V6 making 200 ft-lbs but with a 0.70 gear ratio, will accelerate the same as the same vehcile making 100ft-lbs but with a 1.40 gear ratio. Of course, the smaller engine is running twice the RPM's so they are both rpoducing the same HP.

So yes, torque is the most improtant, but it's the gearing that determines how it accelrates... that's in part how a manual transmission can have an advantage.

To understand it better, consider how quickly a 600cc motorcycle accelerates in 3rd gear at say 10,000 RPM vs. 2nd gear at 10,000 RPM. Both are making the same torque and horsepower, the only difference is how fast they are traveling, and the mechanical advantage available. You'll find that even if you factor out wind drag, a vehcile will accelerate proportional to the gear ratio at a given RPM.
    One upon a time 4 cylinder automatics were so lossy and badly set up that indeed you better have a stick or you couldn't get out of your own way . My sister's auto Pinto back in '73 comes to mind. When it downshifted it would scream as the revs soared, but go no faster! :cry: It's a lot different today with much better designed 4 cylinder autos, and I know I couldn't out-shift my 6 speed auto in the V6 Outlander. I know I also prefer towing in an auto, so much easier in stop and go traffic. ;)
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    The six-speed auto in the V6 Outlander is programmed great for shifting when you need power, lower rpm's for cruising, etc. I've always liked stickshifts, but I don't miss it at all in my Outlander. :D
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • dronestudiosdronestudios Member Posts: 2
    When making comparisons, we need to fairly compare the inline four cylinder versions of each vehicle.

According to Consumer Guide to Auto, the 2008 Mitsubishi I4 clocks in at 9.4 seconds from 0-60.

Link

And according to the test data from Motor Trend for the 2008 models, it appears the CR-V and RAV4s inline four engines perform pretty much on par with each other...with a slight edge to the CR-V's 0-60 in 9.2 seconds compared to RAV4's 0-60 in 9.5 seconds. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the report for the 2009 RAV4 I4 which has added horsepower up to 179 rpm, nor the 2009 CR-V report. I would say all the comparable I4s have similar acceleration.

2008 Toyota RAV4 I4

Link

TEST DATA
    Acceleration to mph
    0-30 3.3 sec
    0-40 4.8
    0-50 7
    0-60 9.5
    0-70 12.2
    0-80 16.5
    Passing, 45-65 mph 5.0 sec
    Quarter mile 17.1 sec @ 81.5 mph
    Braking, 60-0 mph 123 ft
    Lateral acceleration 0.71 g (avg)
    MT figure eight 30.0 sec @ 0.52 g (avg)
    Top-gear revs @ 60 mph 2200 rpm

2008 Honda CR-V I4

Link

TEST DATA
    Acceleration to mph
    0-30 3.0 sec
    0-40 4.6
    0-50 6.7
    0-60 9.2
    0-70 12.2
    0-80 16.6
    Passing, 45-65 mph 4.8 sec
    Quarter mile 17.0 sec @ 81.1 mph
    Braking, 60-0 mph 134 ft
    Lateral acceleration 0.76 (avg)
    MT figure eight 28.8 sec @ 0.56 g (avg)
    Top-gear revs @ 60 mph 1900 rpm
    "When making comparisons, we need to fairly compare the inline four cylinder versions of each vehicle."

Normally yes, but in this case, No.

What started this conversation is a statement someone made about how their 2005 4 cylinder CRV with a stick would smoke any V6 CUV automatic.

It's truly apples to oranges, but there you have it.
This discussion has been closed.