Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Outlander vs CX-7 vs Tribeca

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I really don't consider CX-7 in the same class as the Tribeca, although they do have similarities. The CX-9 is more in the same class as the Tribeca, and the CX-9 is superior to the Tribeca in many ways. Passenger room (by far!), standard features, HP, handling, acceleration, breaking, styling (which is subjective). The Subi does have a more advanced AWD system, but, it does not always translate into better handling. Read the Mazdaspeed6 vs Legacy GT Spec B comparo. The Speed6 out handles the GT, by far. Both of those vehicles utilize the same AWD systems in their SUV's.
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    superior as in ride quality, fit & finish, safety rating etc. and not in extra features.

Yes, subaru AWD is superior, hard data is my practical experience with driving in 2 major blizzards - most cars with AWD/4WDs were spinning while i was cruising. In fact, the most cars on the road that day were subarus. I never shovelled my Outback -no matter how much snow there is. go to youtube.com and see some videos of subaru performing in bad weather.

you may quote ZDNet on car reviews (frankly they are not well known for cars as much they are for computers). i would like to quote you caranddriver triebca review saying if you close your eyes and drive you would swear that you are driving an X5.

And subarus last forever - 95% of all subarus sold in the last 10 years still on road. The only brand with every model line with maximum safety raing in its class.

i have owned subarus since 1994. I also owned a gallant in late 90s - i will never go back to mitsubishi because of my experience with the gallant.
    i agree. they are not the same. i looked at CX-9 closely, though being an SUV, it drives like minivan. i owned an MPV which traded-in for tribeca became so bad in 5 years with only 40k miles on it - my wife would never allow me to go back to mazda.

subarus are well built cars and you can see it when it is aging - after 4-5 years. it will run like new
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    "Yes, subaru AWD is superior, hard data is my practical experience with driving in 2 major blizzards"

Actually, your practical experience would be considered anecdotal at best - not hard data that was collected by professionals under controlled tests.
    and we count gadgets & extra features, here are some that only Tribeca offers and most competitors don;t:

1. ambient lighting inside cabin
    2. puddle lights
    3. subaru backed extended warranty & not some unknown players who claim backruptcy in 2 years
    4. wiper deicer
    5. 6CD MP3 changer
    6. auto head lights off with ignition
    7. watch DVD on NAv screen
    8. daytime running lights
    i looked at CX-9 closely, though being an SUV, it drives like minivan.

Wow, you are the first to say that. It drives NOTHING like an MPV. Recent comparo's done by numerous third party companies said it is just sensational. Edmunds named it their "Most Wanted SUV under $35K". Motor Trend preferred it over the GMC Acadia and Acura MDX!

Why would you even look at the CX-9 KNOWING your wife would never go for another Mazda? Sound like you were pre judgemental before you even looked at it.

I happen to own both a 05 Mazda and a 02 Subaru. My Impreza has 64K on it, and I have had numerous problems to date: O2 sensor twice in the past 3 weeks, blew head gasket at around 50K, replaced fuel lines to to leakage (common problem with late model Subies) at 59K, heat shield fell off, replaced intake manifold due to crack at around 55-60K, tranny has a hard 2nd gear shift in which tranny flush did not help, cup holder broke, replaced clock at 62K due to center console electrical issue.

Is the AWD good in snow? Yes. My Mazda6 can out corner it with ease on dry and wet pavement.

Current problems with Mazda6 w/ 33K to date: None
    and we count gadgets & extra features, here are some that only Tribeca offers and most competitors don;t:

1. ambient lighting inside cabin

Offered on the CX-9 and CX-7!

3. subaru backed extended warranty & not some unknown players who claim backruptcy in 2 years

Mazda has Easy Care, which is MEPP (Mazda Extended Protection Plan). In other words, a Mazda warranty.

5. 6CD MP3 changer

Place a check next to the CX-9 and CX-7!

6. auto head lights off with ignition

Not sure what this means? CX-7 and CX-9 have auto on and auto off headlights on GT trim.

Why would you want a Nav system you can watch movies on? People in the back can't see it! Only the driver and passenger can. What is the point of that?
  • growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    I'll have to say that best among the bunch mentioned above is the one that is fully paid off. If not, then that small econobox would be the best choice...
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    sorry it took me so long to reply. I don't check the board all that often.

the web site I was referring to was the Automotive Lease Guide, but I think that it got cut from the forum as they don't always allow direct links. But, look for ALG dot com.

I'll try again here:
    https://www.alg.com/deprratings.aspx?sid=43
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Blizzards ARE unpredictable. For this kind of driving I wouldn't put my life in the hands of techs and controlled tests.

Subaru IS an AWD company - Standard on every car. For Mazda AWD is an option like Power windows.
    I am not saying Subaru doesn't have the best AWD systems. However, the previous poster's "proof" was simply anecdotal. I once owned a Honda, the a/c compressor died at about 50K miles. That is not justification for me to say that all Honda a/c compressors are junk. Just because the other poster saw other AWD vehicles off the side of the road, means nothing. You have no way of knowing the skill set of the drivers of those vehicles, if the tires on those vehicles were suitable to such conditions, etc...

"Subaru IS an AWD company - Standard on every car. For Mazda AWD is an option like Power windows."

I think this is being a bit simplistic - obviously a lot more engineering goes into an AWD system than a power window. I have nothing against Subaru. I would just like to see some proof somewhere that their AWD systems are superior to Honda's SH-AWD, Mitsubishi's AWD (these guys have had a lot of rally success as well), and Mazda's. The only thing being brought to the table so far are anecdotes.
    I would just like to see some proof somewhere that their AWD systems are superior to Honda's SH-AWD, Mitsubishi's AWD (these guys have had a lot of rally success as well), and Mazda's. The only thing being brought to the table so far are anecdotes.

Very true. But, really, how can one tell who's AWD system is really "better"? You would have to take one vehicle, a Mitsu Outlander per say, and try it with each different AWD system to see which works better. AWD is not the only deciding factor in handling and road grip. Suspension, tires, wheel size, wheel base, engine power, etc.

The one true road test that tested Subaru's AWD vs. Mazda's AWD was the Mazdaspeed6 vs. Legacy GT Spec B and the Mazdaspeed won hands down in cornering and road grip. But, like I said, there are other factors. There have also been tests stacking up the STi vs the EVO. Many have the EVO as the better road handler. Some have the STi.

It is a know fact that there is more to Subaru's and Mitsu's AWD system then there is to Mazda's. This makes them more "advanced". But, the AWD system is worthless with out a well rounded vehicle to built on it. So, what it really comes down to is who makes the better "package deal". Just because Mitsu has won a bunch of rally championships, does that make Mitsu better? No. Just because Subaru has AWD in all their vehicles, does it make them better? No. It all comes down to what you prefer in your vehicle as a "package deal". It's tough to break it down part by part to say who is better.
    i can definetly speak to subaru's AWD. My neighbor has honda CRV 4wd and another has pathfinder 4wd. Both cars are well maintained & newer cars too.

often times, when it snows hard, both the cars need showeling. i give them ride to work in my Outback..........how else will u say which AWD is better ?

honda needs to be sued for using 4wd word on CRV and pilot and it is simply an electronic 4wd & not mechanical
    "honda needs to be sued for using 4wd word on CRV and pilot and it is simply an electronic 4wd & not mechanical "

Huh? Are you refering to the fact that the CRV's 4wd system acts in "Real Time", versus having a dial, and having to manually select it? I don't understand your comment about "they need to be sued for using 4wd word". My understanding is that if the vehicle detects the main drive wheels slipping, it transfers power automatically to the other 2 wheels in order to help get the vehicle moving. This is no different that a driver of a traditional 4wd vehicle that can't get moving, and manually flips a switch to "turn on" the other 2 wheels. If the vehicle is able to send power to all 4 wheels, that is the definition of 4wd, and no law suit should be needed ;) . By the way, this system is controlled by hydraulics, not electronics (per the Honda website).

With the Pilot, you can manually lock the rear differential for starting up in low traction situations. It can then manually stay locked up for up to 18mph (this is from Honda's website by the way).
    Yes I am being simplistic. Sometimes the answer is simplistic. Mazda is part of Ford, & Ford beancounters see black or white.

That said, The CX7 and CX9 were not engineered with AWD as an integral part of their base drive train. Their great front drivers too.
    AWD is an option. The Ford 500, Oh Taurus, sorry, is the Mr. potatoe head of cars. It's a work in progress with sales #'s directing improvements and available options. If they were serious about AWD they would have carried over the S80 mechanicals in total.

As Aviboy97 said in the post following your reply - Look at the whole pkg. - and Subaru's handeling incorporates not only on their AWD systems but on the engineering of the whole car. They use boxer engines to achieve a lower center of gravity, etc..

I applaud Mitsubishi for not putting AWD into all their cars just to advertize "we have it too" It's engineered into select vehicles. I am not saying that their cars and trucks are not good or not safe.

Mitsubishi will improve on the success of their EVO and Outlander, however, right now
    Subaru has been doing it longer - Their just better at it. It's that simple.

Charlie
    "however, right now
    Subaru has been doing it longer - Their just better at it. It's that simple."

Do you have any links to data proving your hypothesis, or just going with the "they have been doing it longer, so they must be better" theory?
    Please excuse my type-o's - I was in a hurrry.
    I have no data to prove my Hypothesis because I have no hypothesis.

I base my statement on personal experience - and so does everyone else in this thread supporting Subaru.

Let's say you wanted to purchase speakers for your audio Receiver. Nobody can hear what your ears hear. If you like a certain brand and model then it no longer matters what the specs are for that speaker.

If, however, many other people also buy the same item , one can say that it is a better product, if not at least a great product.

Subaru sells more AWD (not 4WD) vehicles than Mazda & Mitsubishi. People buy Subaru mainly for their AWD. Subaru only makes AWD - so if it wasn't better they would have been absorbed by GM years ago.

Why is every other car co. adding AWD to their line - simple - Subaru's success.

Imitation is the best form of flattery.

I don't need to prove it on paper.

( this is a envigorating debate - you make some valid points - I , however , believe in the human factor - especially for driving)
    "Why is every other car co. adding AWD to their line - simple - Subaru's success"

Or it could just be to diversify their lineups - instead of having all their eggs in the 2wd basket. They may have found that if they can produce all wheel drive, coupled with a smooth engine (like Honda is known for, for instance), better reliability than Subaru (with sources like CR and JD Powers backing that up), and better ergonomics, that they can steal buyers away from Subaru.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Subaru. They have been the go-to conpany for AWD for a long time. However, with many other manufacturers now getting into the AWD game, with many having more resources than Subaru, it will be interesting to see what the market looks like in 10 years.

"( this is a envigorating debate - you make some valid points - I , however , believe in the human factor - especially for driving)"

Don't get me wrong, I see your side as well (and respect what you are saying a lot)...It is human nature to purchase based off of past experiences, and word of mouth from friends. It is hard to stray from a product that has served you well in the real world for years. I guess my point is that let's say hypothetically Subaru's AWD is better than EVERYONE else's. There is only a small percentage of the American population that would actually ever benefit from the Subaru's superiority. Not all of the country has blizzard conditions on an annual basis. So just saying that since Subaru has the superior AWD capabilities, doesn't make it the all around, best vehicle in this segment for everyone.
    Why is every other car co. adding AWD to their line - simple - Subaru's success.

That is not totally true. Yes, Subaru has had great success, but, still they are the 5th largest mfg out of Japan. They are tiny. They only sell vehicles where it snows, unless it's a WRX/ Sti.

Since many people now believe they need AWD, other mfg's are expanding their line-up to include their vehicles in that segment.

Same happened when everyone started buying 4 cyl engines instead of 6 cyl's or V8's back in the 80's. People freaked out when gas prices went up. Now, people freak out when it snows, and believe they need AWD. For the 5-10 time /year is snows, I don't go anywhere anyways, and I have never gotten stuck in anything. Also, no Subi get's 30mpg's. For the 355 day's a year where fuel economy is more important to me, that eliminates AWD vehicles. That is why I drive a Mazda6. My wife gets 20mpg around town and 25 highway in here Impreza 2.5 RS.
    ......best vehicle in this segment for everyone.

Agreed. It's unfortunate that most americans put so much weight on reviews and advertizing.

.....with many having more resources than Subaru, it will be interesting to see what the market looks like in 10 years.

Toyota now has an 8+% ownership in FHI - parent company of Subaru, Subaru makes Camry's for Toyota at their Indiana plant - Not to shabby as resources go - it will be interesting in 10 years - maybe even 5.
    Yes I Agree

Whatever the reason for AWD' s popularity - Subaru is positioned well ahead of the pack - they need to seize the opportunity before it's gone - Toyota is great step in that direction.
    Subaru makes Camry's for Toyota at their Indiana plant -

By using Toyota's production technology and production system. It's not really Subaru building Camry's, it's Toyota using FHI plant to build them. Not that is a big deal or anything...both companies have great production processes
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Yes I am being simplistic. Sometimes the answer is simplistic. Mazda is part of Ford, & Ford beancounters see black or white.

If you think bean counters at one manufacturer are any different than those at another manufacturer, you are quite mistaken. Nobody mass produces cars for the fun of it. Investors don't invest for the fun of it. The auto industry, like any other, is there to turn a profit. However, different companies go different routes to achieve that profit. At the end of the day, if it doesn't make money, it's not going to happen.
    the Tribeca's AWD system is a bit different than most others. It operates in a 55% rear bias until slippage is detected. It can transfer up to 100% of the power to either axle, as well as controlling any wheelspin (using the antilock brakes). So, it can essentially pull with a single wheel... at any speed.

I don't know of another crossover vehicle that will transfer 100% of the torque to a single axle. There's a Jeep system (I forget the name) that will do it on their grand cherokee. Your call if that's a 'crossover' or a 4x4, as the jeep IS a unibody construction.
    how Subaru will fare, as others perfect their AWD systems.

Here is an anecdote - since everyone else is throwing them around, I will too. My in-laws have a WRX. They love the AWD, but often complain about the lack of refinement. They say it is noisy, compared to the string of Hondas they owned prior to the Subaru. They also complain about engine noise.

I have a feeling that as other manufacturers start producing, and perfecting their own AWD vehicles, we will start seeing several that may only perform 80% as well as the Subaru (again, let's assume Subaru is the best), but are much more refined.

If this happens, I think Subaru will start losing sales. Remember, a lot of people don't *need* an AWD vehicle (even though they may think they do), and will never push a Subaru to it's limit anyways. Getting back to my in-laws, they fall into this category. I bet if they could have a Honda Civic, with an AWD system 80% as capable as Subaru's, yet with the smooth Honda engine and tranny, they'd jump on it in a heartbeat.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think Subarus have gotten overpriced. I guess they are trying to upscale their target audience or something.

After spending 20 winters in Anchorage driving FWD (except for an old Bug that did better than anything), I wound up with an Outback here in Boise where it rarely snows in town. It's handy for a few powder days up to the ski hill, but mostly I feel like the AWD just hurts my mpg.

For my driving, good tires and knowing how to chain up would serve me fine.

The wagon has surprised with its carrying ability - it's not too far behind my minivan in what I can cram in it with the rear seats down.

Subaru fans may be interested in the Subaru's fortunes sinking - can they turn it around? discussion too (which was started before Toyota replaced GM as a part owner).
    Yes, they are going upscale....essentially positioning themselves between mainstream honda/toyota and luxury brands like Acura/Lexus etc.

cool thing about subaru is you can get good discount and credit card points etc, and buy it for mainstream price.....that's value. i bought my fully loaded - sticker at 39k, bought it for 33k (4k discount and 2k cr card points)...can't beat it.....

I honestly believe subaru has nice blend of japanese reliability with european feel. it is as strong as euro cars and as reliable/more than japanese....(i have been owning subarus since 1994)

about WRX engine noise - boxer engine has unique sound to it and is not as quite as honda engines. but subaru newer cars are much quieter than older ones. but their H6s are very quiet. my tribeca is super quiet (quiter than honda oddyssey that i drove)

i also have an outback XT whose H4 is quiter than the H4s in the subarus i have owned before.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Someone around here picked up a new '07 Odyssey EX for $24,000 the other day. More bang for the buck, although not many people want to drive a minivan.

But I'm a dinosaur - I hate the idea of paying more for a new car than my first house cost back in 1974 (~$19k).
    I can always hear my wife pulling in the driveway...her subi goes "wonk wonk wonk wonk wonk"..... very noisy
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    >> It can transfer up to 100% of the power to either axle

Could you provide a link to support this claim?
    Beancounters............

ARE the same everywhere. But smaller companies usually have better control over the end result.
    Wow! Is this the best you can do? "Only Tribeca offers and most competitors don;t"?

Puddle lights, and wiper deicer??? Big deal, and you call these "gadgets"! And what's the big deal about the "extended warranty" you’ve mentioned? Any manufacturer offers expended warranty for extra big bux, but Mitsubishi's 10 year warranty and 5 year roadside assistance is standard.

And who will "claim bankruptcy in 2 years"? Not Mazda, I don’t think so. And not Mitsubishi: both Mitsubishi Motors and Mazda have revenue over 2 Trillion JPY each, while Subaru’s revenue is only miserable 300 Billion JPY. The whole Mitsubishi conglomerate is even bigger with revenue of 42 Billion USD and it’s much diversified: they build heavy machinery, plasma TVs, and fighter jets, while Subaru have not even build there first diesel engine yet - they coming with it only the next year – and I would not recommend it.

But let’s get back to the gadgets and features. Yes, Mitsubishi has 6CD MP3 changer standard, as well as auto head lights off, DVD on Nav and daytime running lights – no biggie. But here a list of 2007 Outlander features, which are not available on 2008 Tribeca:

6-speeed transmission
    Paddle shifters
    30 GB mp3 music server
    Hard drive based navigation, which is faster then DVD based
    FAST Key
    Keyless ignition
    Bluetooth
    Split liftgate
    Xenon headlights (available in multiple colors)
    LED tail lights
    650 watt amplifier
    Skid plates
    3rd row head airbags
    Tri-mode AWD: fulltime mode, and auto mode for better fuel economy.

…so can your “wiper deicer” beat all of that? :--)
    oh boy ! did I stir the pot or what.

I agree these items aren't available on tribeca. have you driven a tribeca ? drive one and you will see the differe in quality in feel, drive, stability, body roll etc. and i have driven both outlander & CX-9 - they don't feel as solid. In CX-9, ford engine was a deal breaker for me. I have had bad experiences with my ford engine in my MPV
    CX-9, ford engine was a deal breaker for me. I have had bad experiences with my ford engine in my MPV

I can feel your pain there, however, the engine for the CX-9 is now being built by Mazda, with Japanese parts in Japan. Also, the Duratec engine design has been a successful engine, with little to no problems.

I have driven the Tribeca (we have a Subaru store) and the seats do not have the same quality the CX-9 does. There is more body roll then the CX-9 as well, plus the CX-9 is a lot bigger! The 3rd seat in the Tribeca is basically useless. The overall quality of materials used in the Tribeca are good.

The Tribeca falls inbetween the CX-9 and CX-7. I have not driven the new Outlander, but, I have heard good things.
    >> have you driven a tribeca? drive one and you will see the differ
    in quality in feel, drive, stability, body roll etc.

Well, what I feel or you feel driving a car is very subjective especially for a person who uses handle "sweet_subie". What matters more is a professional and independent road test result. Road test by Edmunds.com shows that the Outlander has better road grip and handling:
    Outlander: Cornering limit test 0.80g, Slalom test 63.9 mph
    Tribeca: Cornering limit test 0.78g, Slalom test 62.1 mph

In terms of quality and reliability, the Consumer Reports gives the Tribeca a good ratings, but not as high as the Outlander’s ratings. The Outlander made the top 5 list in its class, while the Tribeca did not. The consumer/owner ratings are also higher for Outlander vs. Tribeca:
    Edmunds.com: 9.2 vs. 8.8 points.
    Yahoo Autos: 4.5 stars vs. 4 stars.

Tribeca is a good car, but it appears Outlander beats Tribeca in handling, safety, features and gadgets, fuel economy, quality/reliability, warranty, and value.
    consumer reports is yet to update their review on tribeca. it is still based on 2007, which i agree with.
    CX-9 engine is not built by mazda. it is same as the on ford edge. Stickers read: engine - USA

CX-9 engine is built by mazda
    "Well, what I feel or you feel driving a car is very subjective especially for a person who uses handle "sweet_subie".

I am not asking you to agree with my view on the ride quality. I am asking you to try one yourself, that's all.
    2008's are built in Japan by Mazda with Japanese parts. Read the window sticker. :P

This press release tells you about it, too!

http://media.ford.com/mazda/article_display.cfm?article_id=26419&make_id=227
  • pctechpctech Member Posts: 43
    I thought this was a CX-7 forum! Anyway, my former Subaru Forester had the wiper de-icers and they were thoroughly useless! But the Forester was a very good vehicle that served me well for 7 years, until I fell in love with the CX-7. :P
    Tribeca is a good car, but it appears Outlander beats Tribeca in handling, safety, features and gadgets, fuel economy, quality/reliability, warranty, and value.

To be fair, the new Outlander does have a new V6, nothing like the 2.4L that was in the previous model. You cannot just assume the new V6 will be reliable. Also, the last 2 years of the Outlander had "insuficant data" to determine reliability. According to CR, the fit and finish are poor in the Outlander.

The previous Outlander also received poor safety rating by the IIHS when tested without airbags.
    >> I am not asking you to agree with my view on the ride quality. I am asking you to try one yourself, that's all.

I did not say, that you asking me to agree. All I meant, that we both could be little biased and/or subjective evaluating these cars. But professional independent test is not biased or subjective, and the hard data shows that the Outlander has better handling and road grip, that's all.

Also even for a non-biased consumer it is almost impossible to find equal testing conditions for cars from different dealerships and impossible to test cars in somewhat extreme conditions such as slalom, while professional independent test normally held in equal conditions, which also could be extreme if required by the test.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    "What matters more is a professional and independent road test result."

No. Not unless you want to spec race all night long with people on a forum who will probably never see your point of view.

Besides, magazines have at least a 10% margin of error between them (and production tolerances from manufacturers fit in there somewhere, too). So if I wanted to brag about numbers, sure, I might quote the results of some press guys who may or may not test a car similar to how I might drive it in the real world. However, if I want to buy a car, I go sit my butt in it and drive it. If it fits, it fits - if it doesn't, it doesn't. Simple as that. If it feels good, do it.

So, if I am happy with my "brand X," it really doesn't matter that "brand Y" has a built-in cofee grinder, aluminum-look dead pedal, or 0.01 more lateral g capacity. And when it comes to CUVs, it ESPECIALLY doesn't matter that the brand won any races.

In my own case, I didn't shop an Outlander because I think it's ugly, I think some of the gadgets it "beats" the competition with are silly at best, and because I really, really don't want to own a Mitsubishi, regardless of their market share at home, or anywhere else. I'm sure there are other people who feel the same. Why continue to beat a dead horse? Not everybody is going to buy a Mitsubishi.
    >> To be fair, the new Outlander does have a new V6, nothing like the 2.4L that was in the previous model. You cannot just assume the new V6 will be reliable.

No need to “assume”. This Outlander is already one year old and it has no major reliability issues. Also Outlander owners here at edmuds.com gave it high satisfaction rating of 9.2 – obviously they don’t observe much problems, while Mazda CX-7 owners rate it lower at 8.8.

>>Also, the last 2 years of the Outlander had "insufficient data" to determine reliability.

Apparently, CR data is sufficient enough to put the 2006 Outlander into the top 5 most reliable in its class, while none of Mazda models in any class made the list:
    CR Best&Worst

>> According to CR, the fit and finish are poor in the Outlander.

CR about the Mazda CX-7:
    “the power delivery, road noise, and interior packaging are critical weaknesses”,
    “The unusual choice of a small-displacement, turbo engine in a midsized SUV results in unpleasant lulls and surges in the power delivery. The engine wakes up slowly from idling at a standstill, with a long second or two of turbo lag before the power kicks in under throttle. When merging onto a highway or accelerating from a rolling stop, the driver experiences a disconcerting pause, after which the acceleration comes on abruptly--often too strong for the desired response”,
    “the engine's real-world power delivery is its Achilles' heel. The delayed throttle response and raspy sounds are simply out of place”,
    “failed to impress us overall”

>>The previous Outlander also received poor safety rating by the IIHS when tested without airbags.

Did you just made it up? A have an opposite data, were the previous Outlander crush tests have good-to-excellent rating: CR reliability and crush tests
    >> if I want to buy a car, I go sit my butt in it and drive it. If it fits, it fits - if it doesn't, it doesn't. Simple as that.

If it would be as simple as that, you would not be posting 2-3 times more over me on this board. And that guy, would not say that “only Tribeca offers puddle lights, and wiper deicer and most competitors don’t”

>> So, if I am happy with my "brand X," it really doesn't matter that "brand Y" has a built-in cofee grinder, aluminum-look dead pedal, or 0.01 more lateral g capacity.

Well, in this thread we compare cars, in case you haven't noticed. Otherwise people would not say here that “only Tribeca offers puddle lights and wiper deicer, and most competitors don’t”. To me it’s a reasonable discussion: one car has wiper deicer, the other - tomato slicer. So if you are not interested in this discussion, please don't join it...
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    All,

Let's be civil here. We all take pride in our rides and it's only natural that we defend our choices, but we gotta respect the other guy's opinion. No point in making someone defensive and backing 'em into a corner. They're liable to come out swinging. :)

Vince.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    "If it would be as simple as that, you would not be posting 2-3 times more over me on this board. And that guy, would not say that “only Tribeca offers puddle lights, and wiper deicer and most competitors don’t”

1. If you're referring to quantity of posts, you should know that people also talk about MPG, maintenance, service problems, customization, and etc. etc. etc. on these boards. 2. I'm not agreeing with the Tribeca fans who spout features/specs any more than the Outlander fans who spout features/specs.

My point is, you can spout features and specs all day long, but each person is going to make their own choice about how important a feature or spec is. For example, you bring up "paddle shifters" like it's a must-have these days that puts the Outlander far and above any other model without it. Really? On a CUV? I can do without the paddle-shifters, myself. Maybe some people want them, but I don't think it automatically means Mitsubishi wins the battle of the transmissions just because it has paddle shifters.

Then we come to the "650 watt stereo." I'm sure it's great, but does it really sound better than a "250 watt stereo?" Let the people decide by sitting in the cars, popping in their own CD, and judging for themselves. Bigger is not always better when it comes to stereo power, and "650 watts" tells me nothing about audio quality.

So, I'll join any discussion I please, and obviously I'm interested here. But perhaps there's a difference between truly comparing cars and simply saying "Mine has this, it's better. No, mine has THIS, IT's better..." Feedback from dealer visits/test drives usually goes a lot further than simply hurling brochure info at each other and claiming superiority.
    >>If you're referring to quantity of posts, you should know that people also talk about MPG, maintenance, service problems, customization, and etc. etc. etc. on these boards.

Well, you also like to talk about paddle shifters and amplifiers.

>> you bring up "paddle shifters" like it's a must-have these days that puts the Outlander far and above any other model without it. Really? On a CUV?

What’s wrong with paddle shifters on CUV? Or you think CUV is not supposed to be sporty? You don’t seem to be surprised that CUV Mazda CX-7 has turbo engine? For some people paddle shifters is a luxury feature, since normally you would find it on expensive cars and here you get in here $23K car. Upscale and luxury cars have a lot of features, which are rarely used, but all these features add up and create for owners that upscale feel and trendy image. For others, who actually use stick shift for extra kick and acceleration, paddle shifters add a lot of convenience and safety. I personally would not drive stick shift with no paddle shifters. To me it’s too cumbersome to take my hand constantly off the steering wheel, but with paddle shifters driving in manual mode could real fun.

Read, what the car.com review says about the lack of paddle shifters on X5: "When equipped with Active Steering and AdaptiveDrive, the 2007 BMW X5 4.8i is a supremely capable SAV. We just wish BMW offered paddle shifters to go with the new six-speed transmission." Mercedes-Benz ML350 SUV, on the other hand, does have paddle shifters and I've heard no complaints about them :--)

>> Then we come to the "650 watt stereo." I'm sure it's great, but does it really sound better than a "250 watt stereo?"

Of course it does sound better. 250 watt is not really enough to power 6-8 speakers and a subwoofer. 10” subwoofer alone requires 300 watt of power. So, when I read that a “premium” audio system has 250 watt amplifier, I smile.
    #137 of 156 Re: 100% energy Transfer to either axel [morey000] by chelentano Aug 22, 2007 (2:06 pm)
    Replying to: morey000 (Aug 22, 2007 9:23 am)
    >> It can transfer up to 100% of the power to either axle

>Could you provide a link to support this claim?

Hmmm. I know that I had seen this in a number of places, but it's not the detail that most car reviews include. It's inherent in the Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) gears.
    I'm not sure that this post qualifies:
    krzyss, "VW Passat Wagon vs Subaru Wagons" #721, 22 Nov 2004 9:26 am
    but ateixeira does seem to know his stuff.

There was a terrific comparison video on youtube last year, showing a few competing vehicles (highlander, murano, volvo XC) tackling controlled off road and traction limited scenarios with professional drivers- and the Subie blew them all away. It was quite impressive.
This discussion has been closed.