Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Outlander vs CX-7 vs Tribeca

Comments

• vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    Consequences of urban living. Something I should have done, had I known about it, then, was to have 3M Scotch-Guard Paint Protection applied. I've heard/read good things about this product. Too late now. If I do get a custom paint job, I'll definately opt for that extra protection.

Those bras may look good, but they don't cut it. Lot's of dirt ends up working it's way under the bra and then gets ground into the paint itself, over time.

Vince.
  • medellinrobmedellinrob Member Posts: 7
    Subaru will surely fare better with this version, especially because of the engine.
    The outside look is a bit better but for certain ages, it's now focusing on ages 30-55 which is better because people that age have the money for that vehicle.
    Last version was made for that same age but with looks for ages 18 to 35.
    It looks more common, more regular, kind of american/german in front, but it will sell better.

By the way I think I'll get the outlander but think the CX-7 looks better... other than that I prefer the mitsu
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I have a bra on my '95 T-bird. They fit good at first, but loosen up with time and then you have to remove them when you wash the car or it rains.

If you don't, you get the dirt underneath like you said, or water gets trapped under it and turns to a hard mold. (happened to me.)
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Ok, 18 - 35 year olds: Does the earlier version appeal to you more than the new version?

30 - 55, what about you?

I'm 52 and I just thought the 2007 was "fugly" :P

Vince
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm pretty sure Vince is talking about the film, not a bra. Pricey stuff, but it's supposed to work good. See the Bug guards, protective bras & film for testimonials.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Prefer the '07. It's unique- and I kinda' go for that in a car. The '08 looks like a Pacifica ate a Santa Fe.
  • astegmanastegman Member Posts: 171
    Just turned 45. I like the 2008 better...I simply can't get past the appearance of the 2007's front - that grill, it's just this odd-shaped blob in the middle.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I'm 36.

I like the 2008 despite the Chrysler front end.

The Alfa Romeo gone wrong on the 2007 just didn't work for me.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I'm in the 30 to 55 range and I like the old
    Tribeca better than the new one. It looks too generic.
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275

Much prefer the 2008. I'm not that superficial by any means (I drive a Forester), but I would not want to be seen in earlier model Tribeca. The front end is just off-putting (although it does look better in person than in photos).
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    My vote's for the 2007.

I actually liked the old Tribeca much more, even if it was polarizing. Didn't bother me as much, as say, a Bangle-ized 5-series. I still don't like the interior of the B9. Just too spacey. (FYI, I'm 37)

I can't think of any other example in recent memory where a manufacturer copied a Chrysler design... ;)
    This informal poll is interesting. Roughly split about 50/50. Age doesn't seem to play into a person's perceptions about the Tribeca. Whether you're older or younger, about half like the earlier version and half like the 2008.

Vince.
  • imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    I'm just 40 and go for the 07 ... Totaly agree with the pacifica comparisons... the 08's become typical.. tho the interior's one of the best I've seen on any vehicle... ( I'm a cx-9 and forester owner )
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    I'm 62 and much prefer the 06 I have & if I were to get another car, probably would not be another Tribeca unless they do something to increase gas mileage significantly (hybrid)?) Not complaining, I average just about 21 mpg, much of that highway miles. Have had the vehicle 11 months, have put on 32k (got it as a demo with 10k last year) I much prefer the styling of the 06 and 07's, the 08's look like many other SUV's out there. I am surprised the gas mileage is only indicated on the sticker of 08's as 16 to 21. I know they revised the way they calculate gas mileage on new vehicles to more accurately reflect real world driving, but if the 16/21 is accurate so was the 18/23 for the 06's. Rarely on a tankfull have I ever gotten less than 17.5 if it was mostly local driving. On trips a good average of around 22.

By the way, I am 62
  • zoom49zoom49 Member Posts: 76
    New 08 have a larger engine with a little more power and can now run well on 87 octane regular gas.
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Just came from Vegas, where some of the taxis are CX-7. Kind of weird, looking the CX-7s on that fashion, fighting for passengers with the Caravans and Ford Victorias of the world. Somehow I think this can kill some resale value on them.
    Sortof like how German taxis kill a Mercedes' resale value? :P
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    In America, especially close to the "image" conscious California (where lots of Vegas tourists are from), this happening is not going to help Mazda. I just can imagine the fight between the marketing department and sales division at Mazda. The german comparison is out of place in this country, two very different kind of consumers.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Just a few Vegas taxis I've seen:
    Toyota: Prius, Camry, Sienna
    Dodge: Caravan, Charger
    Ford: Crown Vic, Expedition, Escape, Freestyle
    Mazda: MPV, CX-7

I know there are many others, but i think that's good enough to make a point.
    And a CX-7 and a Crown Vic are two very different kinds of cars, and two very different markets. But let's not let that get in the way of a good comparison.
  • slippertslippert Member Posts: 13
    I drive the CX-7 and feel it is still the best looking of all its competitors. The '07 Tribeca was radical and ugly (i'm 49). So i prefer the safer '08 front end. But the CX-7 is still better. AS for resale, if that is/was a big issue, buy Honda or Lexus.
  • toniotonio Member Posts: 3
    I almost did the same think because of the look on the Mazda CX-7. After test drive both SUV's I made desicion to go with the Mitsubishi. Better warranty, more room(believe me lot more than the Mazda CX-7, I am 6'1 and Outlander feels lot beter). Outlander has plenty of speed and its lot smooter with its V6. Fuel economy is grear, handling is great too. Stereo is absolute knockout and hard drive based navigation is really fast to respond. Ride is very smooth and comfortible. Got my Outlander yesterday and I am thrill for my choice. Good luck. :)
  • treepeonytreepeony Member Posts: 15
    Yes, we almost got the outlander, too. Very tough choice. It's a great vehicle! I found the handling a little worse with the outlander, the engine a little better behaved, but my wife liked the CX-7 looks better. Myself, I would have preferred the outlander.
    The other vehicles discussed, don't hold a candle to these two vehicles.
  • pitbullfanpitbullfan Member Posts: 1
    I previously leased a 2005 AWD Touring Pacifica and loved it. When my lease was up, I shopped around and did alot of research on comparable SUVS - Santa Fe, Outlander, CRV, CX-7. Santa Fe and CRV were just ok - I loved the Outlander and the CX-7. I chose to lease an 07 GT AWD CX-7 mainly because the Mitsu money factor couldn't compete (.00250 vs. .00055). Made a difference of about $100 a month in my monthly payment. I've had the Mazda for 2 weeks and I love</b this car! Zoom, zoom....... :P
  • edigeoedigeo Member Posts: 6
    sorry guys ...maybe i'm on the wrong page...but i have a problem with my car...cx7 mazda...is blowing white smoke from exhaust.the car is by the dealer from 2 weeks already,and they can't find the problem...does anybody have any idea? thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please continue with edigeo, "Mazda CX-7 Maintenance" #135, 9 Aug 2007 7:48 pm

Also, avoid spamming the Forums. It's bad etiquette to post the same message in several different topics.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • chelentanochelentano Member Posts: 634
    Yes, Outlander sells very well so Mitsu's financing is not as attractive as 0% for Mazda.
    Congrats and enjoy, great car!
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    I used to remember Mitsu offering 0% on their new cars when they were in the dumps, but it seem they no longer have to do that. Another sign their finances are back in order?
    Exactly. Bad finansing deal is a sign of good sales.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    That $0 down, $0 Payments, 0% deal Mitsu used to run almost ran Mistubishi Motors out of the country. That is one reason we dumped our Mitsu store.
    Bad finansing deal is a sign of good sales.

That is not true. Many mfg's offer special financing, as opposed to rebates, to prevent loss of value in the vehicle.

Also, current rates are around 6.99% for 60 months, so, even at 2.9%, Mitsu had to buy the rate down 4 points. That is losing major money. It just sounds better to have special fi then rebates.
    That was the time when Rich Gilligan was running MMNA. Hiroshi Harunari seems to be doing a better job now.
    That is true. They do seem to be doing better.
  • jflorjflor Member Posts: 20
    It was Pierre Gagnon who instituted that 0-0-0 idea which led to major car loan defaults for Mitsubishi. He was of course fired for this in 2003.
    When Mitsu finally repoed those vehicles, they were worth less then half of the original price. This was only little after a year. Mitsu's just have no book value. It's a shame, because they are decent cars.
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    Mitsubishi has controlled fleet sales of the new Outlander and new Lancer quite well.
    So, since the above models are also quite popular, it stands to reason that the residuals will be much better than in the past.
    Of course, only time will tell... ;)
    And I have every intention to keep mine until the term of the 10yr powertrain warranty at least, by then I would have the option to get an Evo X, or make that Evo XI or even XII. :)
    So, since the above models are also quite popular, it stands to reason that the residuals will be much better than in the past.

It is true, they have been pretty popular, however, residual values do not change over night. The previous gen Lancer did not hold value to well, neither did the Outlander. Don't even get me started on the Eclipse.

We will have to wait and see. Just how long is the question!
    Who decides what the residual values are for a specific model? And what factors affect residual values? It is only in the US where Mitsubishi are valued way much less than a Toyota or Honda. You might want to check how much people in the UK or Singapore are paying for a similarly equipped Outlander and you'll be surprised the US Outlander pricing is only a fraction of what other countries are paying for this vehicle.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    The Residual Values should come from a prediction.
    Here's one web site that rates residuals. Theoretically, 4 or 5-star rated vehicles should be much cheaper to lease than 2-star rated vehicles (like the Outlander).

the Cx-7 is rated at 4-stars.
    what web site and whart stars???
    So who does this prediction? And explain to me why a CR-V or a RAV-4, or CX-7 would rate better than an 07 Outlander. What gives them the right to devaluate the Outlander when it's one of the safest SUV in the world, has most bang for the buck. And just because it's not a Toyota or Honda, it's only rated 2 stars? As I see it, residual value is nothing more than what other people "estimate" the value of your vehicle would be after X years, which is bullcrap if you ask me. If I maintain my vehicle well, and it's in top condition with less mileage than average, then it should sell at a better price than KBB's "guesstimate" of its residual value.
    Usually companies that run auctions, or publish auction values for vehicles. They do have a say in what they are worth.

A reason why Mitsu have low residuals could be attributed to the fact that many mitsu's in past years have not held up so well. Also, the brand does not possess an over all demand that Honda and Toyota generally demand. In the industry, used Mitus's are undesirable, with the exception of a Eclipse Spyder, or the previous Eclipse GS-T/GS-X. There was also a threat of Mitsu leaving the country in the last couple of years.

If I maintain my vehicle well, and it's in top condition with less mileage than average, then it should sell at a better price than KBB's "guesstimate" of its residual value.

I hate to break it to you, but, KBB's values are worthless, and hold no real world value. I have never sold a vehicle for what KBB said it was worth. Their values are based on nothing. They do not buy, or sell vehicles, so, how can they tell you what they are worth?
    So in a sense, from what I understand from your post, I am right in saying that "residual value" is what other people think your vehicle is worth, based mostly on the "demand" of the buyers. I will agree Mitsubishi has been in the dumps when it was mismanaged by some people in the past. That "going out of business" is only a rumor. No crazy automaker will pullout from a market as big as N.A. while there's still options for recovery. Mitsubishi, though not as big as Toyota or Honda, still has substantial market share on its own. They're doing good now, and is expected to do better with the Evo X and Lancer Ralliart to be released soon. These vehicles are 100% made in Japan. Most of the problematic vehicles that Mitsubishi headaches are the ones made in the US during the DCX-Mitsu partnership, but that's history.

And yes I will agree with you KBB values are worthless, but the general public still look to them for appraisal values of their trade-in, and the dealer makes even cheaper quotes.

That's why, for me, I maintain my vehicle well, got one of the best warranties (10 yr for powertrain), and I have every intent to drive it until the wheels fall off :D
    Yes. People unassociated with the company dictate what it is worth. The only residual value the company can dictate is the one they designate for a lease value. Nissan used to put extremely high residuals on their vehicles for leasing, and it cost them big time when they took them back. They were not worth what they took them back for.

If you are planing on driving an Outlander until the wheels fall off, then there is no reason to think about what the residual value might be. By then, it's not worth anything, anyways!

Mitsu has been making a come back. They do make decent vehicles as well. The new Lancer and Outlander have really helped. They just need to get the Galant back on track, and they should do well. Mitsubishi right now is where Mazda was back in 2001-2003. They needed a new company philosophy, and look what it has done for them. Mazda is really striving, making money, and putting out a great product.
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    I, too, see Mitsubishi somehow following Mazda's strategy: build attractive cars and the sales will follow. I bought a Mazda3 2.3L back in 2005 because it looked great and it was the best bang for the buck by far. I felt about the same when I bought my Outlander.
    If Mitsu continues to improve its line-up and the build quality of their vehicles (get rid of the low budget bits), they will succeed. I hope the Outlander and the Lancer are only the beginning of a new direction and I tend to believe this is the real Mitsubishi, without Chrysler's (bad) influence.
    However, it will take few years of sustained effort and good products across the board until they could really see a significant change in the market perception. Mazda's success didn't happen over night either.
    Mitsubishi needs a new Galant, Eclipse, Endeavor and they need to bring over the Colt (subcompact) and perhaps the Grandis (mini-minivan).
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    Read the magazine reviews on 08 tribeca. it is far superior performing vehicle than most SUVs with most effective AWD.

I honestly think CX-7 and Outlander don't even come close.
    I stopped reading magazine reviews a long time ago. I can never trust a guy who earns a living reviewing the products of a company that pays for their products to be reviewed. The only review I trust is my own. I've test driven most of the 07 Outlander's closest competitors (among them RAV4, CRV, CX-7), and nothing comes close to the handling, IMO anyways.

The 08 Tribeca, similarly equipped with the 07 Outlander XLS with Navi etc, easily costs 36K$. No thanks, I'll stick with the Outlander XLS for 30.6K$ sticker, which I got for 28K$ (some buyers got it for 26K$). It's really nice to say that X is better than Y, but I don't really take opinions seriously from people who are not in the market for a new SUV. Testimonials from actual buyers of the Outlander can attest to the words "most bang for the buck". See here: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0fda72.f0fda3a/552
    And in the Japanese market, the Outlander outsold the RAV-4 and CRV for a few months in a row after its debut. I didn't even see the Tribeca being named as a serious competitor in the SUV segment in Japan. But that's just my 0.02$ worth. I know some people are passionate for a particular brand and model, same as I am. :)
    >> 08 tribeca. it is far superior performing vehicle than most SUVs with most effective AWD

What&#146;s so superior? Still only 5-speed outdated transmission, horrible gas mileage, only half of Mitsubishi&#146;s warranty, no Auto-AWD mode, no FAST Key, no Keyless Start, no MP3 music server, only 130 watt stereo (vs. 650 watt on Outlander), and no Bluetooth!

Here is the Zdnet review of Tribeca: &#147;we weren't pleased with the fuel economy. With the seven-passenger configuration, legroom was cramped in the middle row. As an alternative, the Land Rover LR2 costs about the same, and gives you off-road capabilities and Bluetooth cell phone integration. We recently reviewed the Mitsubishi Outlander, which costs substantially less, has more cabin tech, and gets better mileage.&#148;

Also the superiority of Subaru&#146;s AWD system is a myth. Do you have any hard data to support your claim? Any independent tests or rally results? Mitsubishi for instance does have the best record in the world toughest off-road completion, which requires really good AWD system. Last year Mitsubishi won 1st place (7th year in a row) and 2nd place in 2007 Dakar Rally, while Subaru did not even made the top 50.
  • dodo2dodo2 Member Posts: 496
    "I honestly think CX-7 and Outlander don't even come close. "

They don't come close because they belong to different class; therefore any comparison is empty talk.

While Subaru has a great AWD system, so does Mitsubishi. A comparison between the two manufacturers' AWD systems depends on the application. The results may vary, so saying that one AWD system is absolutely better than the other may not be true.

Subaru vs. Mitsubishi battle will take place in the compact sport sedan class: Impreza WRX vs. Lancer Ralliart and Impreza WRX STi vs. Lancer Evo X and it will be a very interesting one. So far, Mitsubishi seems to win the "beauty contest".
This discussion has been closed.