Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Engine Problems

13»

Comments

• davemcledavemcle Member Posts: 1
    I have recently learned that my gas engine in a 2008 prius may need to be replaced. At a minimum, I have been told that I should change the oil every 3K miles. I am very disappointed because I was expecting to get 200K out of this car without anything major going wrong. It is a Toyota after all. I have been very good about getting the oil changed regularly. I usually went in almost immediately after the maintenance required light went on. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Change the engine? Continue with 3K oil changes? New car?
    Thanks for any insight...
  • ducati2vducati2v Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    The stall feeling will happen to me when there is a large accessory load on the engine, specifically AC or heat. Try turning these off if you're using them and see if it goes away? IMO, it's almost as if the car can't decide if it needs to keep running to maintain the AC/heat or whether it should shutoff. Try just changing the temperature control so that your car isn't working so hard to maintain your temp setpoint - this may get rid of the stall.

Keyless entry: You can change how the doors unlock by doing the following: Turn power switch off, when the indicator on the key surface is turned off, push and hold the panic button while pushing the lock button for about 5 secs. This will cycle the car through different lock features. There's about 6 different modes and you have to wait 5 secs before trying another mode. (pg 43 in owner's manual)

For voice control: Press talk switch>help>operating guide>tel. Follow instructions on the screen. To cancel, press and hold talk switch, press phone on steering wheel, say cancel, and then press cancel. (pg 286 of owner's manual)

Gas mileage: hard to say because so many factors influence it. How's your maintenance? -new air filter? tires inflated to correct pressures (esp. because of winter)? changed the oil? Do you have low rolling resistance tires? Aftermarket tires? Aftermarket wheels? Wheels and tires will have a dramatic affect on your MPG. What about your driving style? When you want max MPG, braking is your enemy as well as fast starts. You can achieve 50 MPG but you will be the one everyone is passing on the freeway. You should be able to expect 42 to 48 MPG though for average conservative driving. Make sure your not carrying around unnecessary weight in the car because it will affect your mileage quite a bit.

Last, look on ebay and try to get yourself an owner's manual. You'll know your car a lot better. Good luck and I hope my answers help you out.
  • skegottyskegotty Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    I have a Prius with the engine management light on and rasping sound from engine when idle. took it to a garage and they ran a diagnostic check which came up with a Generator 1 fault ( torque convertor) i think, Does anyone know what this is and is it expensive to repair?