Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Xterra Voltage

rebe19681rebe19681 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Nissan
I have a 2002 N-Xterra the other day I could not start my car the dash lights came on but it would not start.My husband put in a new battery then tested the batteries voltage and it read at 11 so he figured maybe the alternator is bad he put in a new alternator,teated all the belts and all the fuses.He again tested the battery voltage and its still reading 11 volts. The cars warning lights all work and I never got a warning that the cars battery wasnt charging fully so what else can be the promblem with the battery not volting at 14?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    He again tested the battery voltage and its still reading 11 volts.

Was that with the engine running?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rebe19681rebe19681 Member Posts: 3
    yes,and with it revving
    That's very strange. A fresh battery a fresh alternator both failing in the same way the old ones failed is rather unlikely. Here's a longshot. How about trying a different voltmeter?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rebe19681rebe19681 Member Posts: 3
    LOL call my husband at the auto shop asked him to use a new Volt meter...low and behold it was a bad volt meter! My Nissan is running at 14 with a new volt meter thanks a million..
    Aha! Glad we got that resolved. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nice "longshot" Tides - so, who's going to win the Colors Stakes at Les Bois this Friday?
    I'll have to try out the PowerBall tonight! ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • keefe4keefe4 Member Posts: 1
    2001 xterra,also black exhaust when starts.changed plugs,cap, rotor and wires.o2 sensors?also lacks pickup.fuel injection?
  • drvolvodrvolvo Member Posts: 1
    Engine began to hesitate under load. Let off foot feed...surging appears to ease up. Sometimes car just comes to a stop. Have to restart. If holding the foot feed steady, car seems to respond normally. Give her some gas, back to the "missing sensation" as if it was starving for fuel. Check engine light came on as well...
This discussion has been closed.