Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Noises

nptxplantnptxplant Member Posts: 1
edited November 2019 in Ford
Hey guys, i have 2000 expedition, was backing out of driveway, place car in drive and heard a loud clunk in the rear somewhere. Since then, i will occasionally hear a wop-wop-wop-wop, almost like a flat tire sound, or something rubbing. Sometimes it is more metalic sounding. i have been all over the rear end of my truck, removed the wheels and brakes, inspected my coils, shocks, control arms, etc. I don't see any cracks broken bolts, ....nothing. It drives fine, it just makes a lot of noise at very random times, there is no consistency as to when or what conditions it happens with. There may be a slight leak of some sort where the rear axle/housing thing meets the tire. ALso, i believe i have narrowed the sound down to the right rear. Any ideas?

Comments

• minivanh8rminivanh8r Member Posts: 5
    Umm, just a couple shots in the dark. I'm not sure how loud the clunking is, but you may try looking at your roof rack. The knobs that tighten it down may be loose and that will cause a lot of noise intermittently. Also, you could try looking at where your brake lines run to the rear wheels. Sometimes they'll pop out of the little clips and rattle around. Finally, inspect your engine mounts and the surrounding area. Every so often, if the engine mount or something similiar fails, the engine or tranny or whatever will rattle around. You won't notice any driving differences but it will end up shaking your catalytic converter and exhaust assembly around, this tends to make a lot of noises, with vibration from time to time. Oh yeah, if the big bump you heard pulling out was you hitting something with your rim, you may have bent the rim and this will cause noise and vibrations too. Those are all the things I've ever found. Hope it gives you some ideas.
  • philly70philly70 Member Posts: 6
    Recently test drove '07 Limited. Overall impression was fairly solid, but could not get past persistent noise/squeaking coming from dash area. Anyone know whether this is endemic of all recent model Expeditions? Any fixes or recalls? Just wondering whether this could have been isolated to this particular road test vehicle.
  • buzzz1buzzz1 Member Posts: 42
    I have an 07 and it has that 'squeak' from the dash. It appears to come from the vent piece that is attached to the dash up near the glass. I think they need to put more felt tape on these pieces.
  • tubbysmatubbysma Member Posts: 2
    Please help...While driving at a very slow rate of speed or when turning (after driving for 45mins or more with 4-5 passengers) my expo makes a very loud and annoying metal to metal grinding/squeaking noise...the noise is loudest in the right area when you stop you can get on the running boards and rock the expo and it will still make the noise but my next morning it won't do that again. The dealer can never re-create the problem so they have no clue..any suggestions on where to begin?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    ?
  • mrmikeymrmikey Member Posts: 6
    Had the same problem with a 1998 Lincoln Navigator. Could never figure out if it was coming from the right front dash or the passenger door. Dealership never figured out either. My 2007 Expition doesn't have any noises yet. The Navigator was almost a cracking sound.
    Do you have a limited slip differential? It could be the differential.
  • ggerg3ggerg3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 EB Expo, I have noticed some kind of whining noise coming from behind the driver's side dashboard. I first noticed the noise a couple of months ago, but it was very faint. I took it to my mechanic, he could barely hear the noise. Since then, the noise has increased. It's no longer a faint noise, it is now very pronounced, but it's only when sitting idle. Once I give it some gas, the noise goes away. As long as I'm driving I hear no noise, the moment I stop at a red light, the noise resumes. I have lifted the hood listening for the noise, but I hear nothing from the engine area. I wonder has anyone else experienced anything like this before?
  • trumpguy03trumpguy03 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know about a noise coming from underneath the truck around maybe the cat/heat shield? I noticed that when I accelerate at a slightly normal pace, I get a metal rattling noise as I approach the shift point going into 2nd and sometimes 3rd. Maybe it's the heat shield?
    I notice when it's hot outside I hear more creaks in the dash area in my 07. Maybe because its black, not sure. The older Expys had a more solid feel to the dash.
  • fkockafkocka Member Posts: 3
    been having the same issue, driving me nuts. Have you had any solutions to your posting ??
  • fkockafkocka Member Posts: 3
    I have had the same problem, Any solutions to your post ??
  • c21realtorc21realtor Member Posts: 4
    me too. I also have had that noise on my 07 limited. It came from the right front brake for a few miles and then quit and won't do it again. Im having brake failure that ford cant get to repeat either and think it might be related.
  • rharoldrharold Member Posts: 2
    I have been having the same problems on my 06' EB. The noise I have comes at random times while driving, I felt it happened most often when I hit a small bump or made one of my FRONT wheels articulate on the arm (pothole, bump, turning, etc). I described the sound as someone spinning bolts in a can, or a rattle. Well finally! the guy at the shop got the vehicle to repeat the sound, his description was a ratcheting noise. Their diagnosis was a small vacuum leak which was causing the 4WD system to try to engage on that tire and then 'bounce' away. It went away for a while (few weeks) and now it's back, so 2nd time in let's see if they think Vacuum leak again. Taking it in tomorrow.

PS. They told me that they've seen the problem on F150s but never on the Expedition, but given the similarities I'm not surprised it could come over to the Exp.
    nothing yet. my brother has a neighbor/good friend who is a mechanic. i'm thinking about letting him take a look at it. i'll let you know if anything comes of it.
  • rharoldrharold Member Posts: 2
    OK, 3rd time at the shop and the dealer through some parts at it; a LOT of parts actually. They replaced the control arms (those massive hunks of metal), the knuckle joints (they called them 'knuckle', I'd call them the half axle joints that connect to the tire), and the vacuum pump and lines that control the 4wd. All under warranty.

I dont hear the noise anymore... but dang... that was a lot of parts.
  • duanedjduanedj Member Posts: 2
    My '07 Expedition EL has a loud and very annoying A/C vent squeak that sounds like a cricket chirp. I've taken it to the dealer several times and they have "adjusted" and lubricated it with no success. If you place your finger in the vent and hold it down, the chirping stops. Does anyone else know of this problem?
    When does it chirp? When you go over bumps? Yes, I hear this too. I wish I could pull the vents out and put felt tape on the plastic to plastic sections.
  • duanedjduanedj Member Posts: 2
    It chirps when I drive over any little bump or rough spot in the road. It's loud enough that you can hear it over the radio. If you place your finger inside the vent and hold it down, the chirping stops. So sometimes I'll be driving down the road with my finger in the vent. Unfortunately, when the cricket wakes up on passenger side I can't reach it while I'm driving.

I've asked the dealership several times how to pull the vent out so that I could service it myself but they always have to check with the "vent guy" to find out how. They claim that they've "lubricated and adjusted" the vents twice. They haven't chirped since the last lubrication, but I've only driven it once since then so I'm not convinced that it's fixed.

I talked with another Expedition owner who said that he would just pull his vents out and put vaseline on them. However, he has an '05 and the vents simply pop out. Apparently, the '07 vents don't pop out so easily.
    I have the shop manual and your right, you just don't yank them out. It doesn't look horrible though. I can email you the pdf instructions if you would like. Email me at bmwolfe at yahoo dot com.

I now have a weekend project!
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    My wifes expedition started making a loud ticking noise last night in the back right rear panel somewhere..i never could locate it but it would go off as soon as the engine was killed....anyone have any ideas? we are still in warranty at this point..just wondering what this is and how long it takes to fix?
    i had a similar noise and noticed it was when i tried to switch the rear air source from the top vents to the floor vents. the clicking noise was the rear air door actuator. i took it in and they fixed it free of charge, under warranty.
  • glen_cglen_c Member Posts: 4
    I have an '04 EB and have the same squeak. Touch the gas or hit a bump and "squeak" from somewhere in the dash. Funny thing is though, it doesn't squeak during the summer...I guess the fitting or whatever it is swells in the heat and fits tightly.
    If the noise I had is the same as what you are experiencing then I have the fix! The noise in my dash was coming from the passenger side airbag cover. The cover does not fit very well and when I pulled up/out on the upper portion where it meets the dash, the noise stopped. I remedied this by taking a thin piece of cardboard (from an oatmeal box) and folded it to where it was thick enough to fill in the gap between the dash and the top part of the passenger side air bag cover. I stuffed it in the gap to where you cannot see the cardboard if you are in the passenger seat. I did this on both the right side and left side. Solved the squeak! Let me know if this solves your squeak.

">
    Great idea. My airbag cover just above the glove box is the source for a lot of noises. I will check it out.
  • latallatal Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Expedition. I hear a "chirping" kind of sound coming from the front right side of the vehicle only when I am accelerating. It does not make this sound when the car is in park or neutral when reving the engine. I had a friend check the belts and they checked out fine. Any ideals?
    Check the front shocks. I had a bad shock that chirped at different times. If you have any amount of miles-over 75K you probably need new ones anyway.
  • peanut9peanut9 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 expedition and am having the same problem, it just started a few weeks ago and is driving me crazy. Did you ever get this fixed??
  • latallatal Member Posts: 2
    Ok. Here it is...... A friend had asked around about my problem and a couple of places said they have never heard the noise before. I then took it Tire World because they had changed my front brakes in the previous week of the oncoming chirping. They said to take it to an exhaust place. So, I did. They told me that it was a broken bolt in my exhaust manifold and it could cost me between 250 - 500 to fix because there maybe other problems and the seal would also have to be replaced. By the way, I am a female and began to think I was being taken advantage of. So, I told this to a friend who works at Ford. He said that he would take a look. Well, there was a broken bolt. But the manifold was also warped, and other bolts had broke. They had a lot of corrosion. Well, after all that was fixed. It still makes the noise. He said it was a belt for some kind of part that would cost 500. I stopped listening to details when he said that it will be okay if I can withstand the noise factor. He checked over everything else and things looked great. So, to make my long dragged out story end and come to your answer. Its not fixed. Sorry for the details. Good luck with yours. Let me know what happens.
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    Peanut,

I never got it fixed but figured out the problem..for whatever reason mine stopped doing it.....but the problem is the motor switch or door for the rear AC/Heat gets stuck and keeps trying to complete the transition....i guess mine became unstuck when we switched our rear AC from heat back to AC....since that time it stopped ticking. The noise was coming from the rear passenger side wall panel..kind of between the second and third row seats....mine is under warranty so i will take it in eventually to get it fixed.
  • michmiesmichmies Member Posts: 1
    I too just started having this loud "tick tick tick" sound in my 03 expedition. It started when I turned on my rear air. When I turned off the air the ticking stopped. I doesn't make the sound if I leave off the rear air but keep the front air on. Now to add to the complication, This morning my husband went out to use my expedition and my battery was dead. We jump started it and as soon as it started, the ticking from the rear panel started. I checked my air controls and they were all off!! So what is the deal with that? Could whatever that is have drained my battery and why would it still be ticking if the air was off?

Help, I am not under warranty and don't want ot fix something expensive.
  • jwohlfeiljwohlfeil Member Posts: 1
    I had this happen twice in my 03 Expedition. I was still under (extended) warranty and had it fixed both times. I think there is a switch or something inside the plastic wall that can be damaged if bumped. What I noticed when it happened the second time is - that it happened after loading a bunch of stuff in the back and a table that fits snug across the floor of the back - PRESSED firmly against the side wall and the clicking started again.

I think something just inside the wall can be easily damaged. But I'm not sure.

Now that I am out of (extended) Warranty - I will pull it apart next time to check it out.
  • tmorettatmoretta Member Posts: 2
    My '99 Expedition 5.4 has developed a noise recently. Only when accelerating hard, up hill or towing. It sounds like classical u-joint noise, but the joints seem tight. Does this vehicle have the classic problem like the Explorer of wear in the output bearing or bushing of the transfer case?
  • pturner603pturner603 Member Posts: 1
    My truck has an annoying noise at the dash that won't go away. It happens randomly, after I hit a bump or on a rough road, I have to hold the top of my dash for the noise to stop. I've visited the dealershi several times and they all think I''m crazy. Please help...
    Email me and I can help you diagnose the squeak. I fixed several on my 08. bmwolfe at yahoo dot com.
  • rpdrewrpdrew Member Posts: 2
    Recently my 2003 Expedition began to make a single clunk sound when starting to back up. It seems to be worse when the wheel is turned. Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks,
    Rich
  • jswopejswope Member Posts: 1
    I am posting for my sister. She recently was diagnosed with having a Ford Expedition with a loose timing belt and bad bearings. Does this sound legit. I'm sure it is. Probably never been serviced and a lot of city miles. What is she looking at as far as cost and what would you rate the difficulty of doing the job yourself. Never done one. Thanks.

Jesse
  • bwanapetebwanapete Member Posts: 15
    My '03 makes an occasional intense high pitch noise which lasts 15 seconds +/- and does not change if you fiddle with the fan switch. The noise happens while driving at steady Interstate speeds, radio off, and on a recent trip, after the first few hours, it did not reoccur. It can also happen at slower speeds. When it does happen, the pitch is steady and always the same. It does rapidly taper up, holds for awhile, then rapidly tapers off.

Is there anything else under the dashboard other than a heater fan motor which could make such a noise?
  • cicely712cicely712 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 ford expedition E.B that is making a whining noise when it's in park and also when it accelerates. Is there anyone having the same problem as me i'm getting nervous don't want to spend alot of money on repairs hoping it's something simple also the transmission fluid is kind of brown could this be causing the problem?
  • ZO1234ZO1234 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought 97 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4 Eng. 4WD.It has 203K miles on it .Original owner parked the car 1.5 yrs ago when he heard a sound coming from the engine.He did not get the car checked to see what the problem was.I bought the truck knowing there is a sound and hoping I can get it fixed for reasonable price since the car was running .I drove to my house 8 miles(sound was there seem like it was much less at low RPM)I know I am mechanically handicap but 3 mechanic looked at the car in my drive way and said "crank the engine...(5-6 seconds later) ok cut it off ,one of the rod bearing bad # re-built the engine or # replace long block or # I have to put used engine".....Again I am mechanically handicap but how can they be so sure this is my only option without even looking at anything??? I drove the car about 8 miles to my drive way after I purchased it , then next day I drove 25 miles round trip and on the way stopped and get an inspection,vehicle pass the emissions inspection.(car has been sitting 1.5 years). I just don't know what else it could be ? I know 203K miles a lot but I have every single oil change , tune up ,......record. from previous owner.(1 owner) Also if it is the bad rod bearing, base on what I read on the web site forms , no smoke from exhaust, oil pressure is normal, and when the RPM is low , driving between 35-75 mph I can not hear the sound. If anyone had this problem and fixed it or any suggestions please respond, I really do appreciated.Thanks
  • gholcomb123gholcomb123 Member Posts: 1
    Recently I purchased a 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition 2WD with 119K. I have since noticed a few noises that I am trying to figure out what they are.

The 1st noise is when I put the car in reverse, I hear a single thump after the car has backed up about 3 or 4 feet. It scares me everytime as it feels like I backed into something.

The 2nd noise that I hear is when I am accelerating with the wheel turned. It sounds almost like the tires are rubbing against something, but they are in fact not. I put new tires on the vehicle and the noise is still there.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what these noises could be? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Grant
  • windjammer1windjammer1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 expy eddie bauer that has developed a ticking sound in the drivers rear near the third seat. it appears to be coming from behind the plastic panel. any ideas what it may be and what id the best way to remove the plastic panel.
  • d33rhuntrd33rhuntr Member Posts: 1
    My recently purchased '06 Exepedition has a high pitched noise. The noise is constant at 58-59 MPH. It sounds as though it's coming from the middle of the dash. I can't really tell if it's inside or outside of the vehicle, but I'm leaning toward outside. If I speed up or slow down it goes away. I've tried turning off the radio and blower. That didn't seem to make any difference. The noise doesn't sound like a whine it's more like a whistle that fades in and out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • girlethinggirlething Member Posts: 14
    I have that same noise.
    No one can tell us. We have had it checked at different dealers.
    no answer. :mad:
  • Island601Island601 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer rental return from a Ford dealer with 12K on it.

Question #1 I have found an annoying cricket chirp in the dash when I go over pretty much any sort of bump. (It's winter in Minnesota so the roads have lots of bumps.) The chirp is coming from the dash piece the covers the gauges, speedo, etc. It appears to be coming from the male end of the clip that goes into the dash receptacle. It has a plastic bag like piece that goes over it, which I assume it to reduce any friction or squeaks. I have pulled this part of the dash apart and stuck in felt, cardboard, but no luck. I can make it go away while driving if I place my hand on it. Any one else had this experience and know how to solve it?

Question #2 I had an after market 10.5" dvd player and rear camera installed for the kids. Work great, but another rattle, which I believe is coming from the wire harness that the car stereo shop decided not to anchor down. There is likely 1- 1.5" of room between the head liner and the roof (with the rear A/C vents) it sounds like it is "slapping" when I go over bumps. Any advice to give the stereo shop to fix this when I bring it back?
  • dakota123dakota123 Member Posts: 8
    My 2007 Expedition EB AWD makes a noticeable buzzing noise from somewhere ahead of the driver, maybe at the driver's feet, on the driver's side, at light to medium load (accelerating or steady speed going up a slight grade) at 1500-1700 rpms. I can feel it in the throttle pedal, and sometimes even in the steering wheel, but mostly it is heard. Transmission gear and torque converter locked or unlocked does not matter. Road speed does not matter, only rpm. Drives me crazy.

I've checked everything obvious, including the various exhaust heat shields, but have not been able to find where it might be coming from. Dealer, too has struck out. No relevant TSBs that I can find. I'm starting to think the light-off catalyst media is loose inside the housing. Reasonable guess? Sound familiar to anyone? Other ideas?
  • davidstinsondavidstinson Member Posts: 1
    1999 Expedition 4WD

I have a loud mechanical popping noise from the front of the car under acceleration. It does it in AWD or 4WD HI. If I remove the fuse for the 4 WD, it won't do it at all. If I am in a turn it won't do it until I straighten up. It will do it with the cruise set at anything up to 70 mph but if you set the cruise to anything over 70 it won't do it. I haven't found any information on whether or not the traction control is disabled above a certain speed. I have changed the speed sensor on the rear differential but have not changed the ones on the front because of the cost.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so what was the remedy?
  • ngonzalezngonzalez Member Posts: 1
    Hi my name is Nelson i own a 99 expo. i have a bang when ever i hit a bump the noise is coming from the left rear, i have changed the shocks myself thinking that, that might be the problem, its still there can any one tell where the noise is coming from.
  • ajensonajenson Member Posts: 1
    I'm wondering if you found what it is? Mine is now doing it.
  • pattym24pattym24 Member Posts: 1
    I've got an '04 Expedition with about 54k miles on it. Just last week, it began making a noise while traveling at highway speeds. After a couple hundred miles or so, this is what I've observed:
    The noise:
    has not occured below 55 mph
    has not occured above 80mph (don't usually drive above that)
    occurs both while towing a small trailer and with nothing in tow
    usually begins as a shift point is approached, but continues after the transmission completes the shift
    happens much more often while going uphill than when going downhill
    if allowed to "build", the noise will develop into an irregular thump that can be felt in the floor by both driver and front passenger
    ALWAYS goes away when I take my foot off the gas. Always. Never fails.
    NOW the last 2 days , nothing..?????

After the first two or three times I heard this noise I pulled off the highway and looked underneath, thinking I had picked up some road debris that was stuck underneath. Nothing there. I checked for loose heatshields - nothing. The thing I find really odd is that it always goes away as i let off the gas. I can get right back on the throttle and the noise is gone and everything is fine. there's no loss of power and other than the thumping I tried to describe above nothing feels different when it's making this noise. There's no check engine light and everything in the "system test" checks out OK.

I'm at a loss now, scouring the interwebs to see if I can dig anything up. Anyone have any ideas about this?