Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia

troutvalleytroutvalley Member Posts: 8
My neighbor and myself each ordered an 08 Acadia in early May. Both vehicles have been built, vin numbers received. Both vehicles are at shipping plant, MSRP same as 07.
Tagged:

Comments

• vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Hi,
    Are there any differences between the 07 and 08 Acadia? Or is it the exact same vehicle?

I dont believe the Acadia was tested by IIHS. True?

Thanks!
  • troutvalleytroutvalley Member Posts: 8
    The only difference is, one color was dropped and another added. Also a console is available for the 2nd row captain seats, but not until sometime in August.

Here is the link http://www.gmfleet.com/ first you put your mouse over fleet on the very left then you put the mouse over Vehicle info/ details and then click on online order guide, then in the new window click 2008 and cars/light trucks(the first) then click gmc and then in the upper right hand corner click the dropdown button and click acadia! then click new for 2008, there is going to be new color a second row console.
  • yauyau Member Posts: 1
    While I was negotiating prices for a new 2008 Acadia, the salesperson told me that the $1000 Conquest rebate that was available for the 2007 model is currently not available for the 2008 model. Is this true?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Looks true according to Edmunds, at least for my zip code - only good for 2007 models.
  • jswtkjswtk Member Posts: 2
    I had to order an 08 because an 07 couldn't be found with the options I wanted on an Acadia ST1 AWD. The only difference I could see was that they changed the Cargo Package id from PDC to PDM and they jacked the price up several 100. We ordered ours on May 26 and it arrived July 5, two days before we left on a trip. I was amazed that I was able to put 95% of what would fit behind the second row seats in my Dodge Grand Caravan fit behind the second row seats in the 2008 Acadia. We did just under 700 miles in a week. The ride was very comfortable and the handling was good. The first 500 miles I kept it at 55 or less. On the ride back we got about 20.5 miles per gallon. With about 40% of those miles between 65 and 70 mph towards the end of the trip. The ride back was a around 230 miles. I liked the higher seating for visiblity and the heads up display. My wife going thru the XM radio stations and the station id showed up for about 3 to 5 seconds on the heads up display while I was driving so I never had to look down at the radio to see what station she had on. We were both pleased with the ride, handling, and features. :)
  • tonyg10tonyg10 Member Posts: 6
    I found one change that I was very excited about!! The 08's now come standard with Rear View CAMERA included with the Navigation option. NICE!!! :)
  • troutvalleytroutvalley Member Posts: 8
    I have an 08 Acadia, it was delivered last monday. The Conquest cash is $500. through the end of the month. The interior carpet has changed to the color of seats ordered, not black as on the 07.
    Very very happy with the quality, hopefully it will outrun the Highlander. I have had both and the Acadia is far superior in every way.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sweet! Maybe you can post some pics on your CarSpace page?
  • steve151steve151 Member Posts: 3
    I would be interested in any comments regarding the center console available on the '08. Does it fold down, etc...

Also, as a rule of thumb, should I expect to pay closer to MSRP now for an '08 than I would an '07. This will be my 1st new car buying experience.

Thanks
  • loachloach Member Posts: 246
    Actually the carpet color has only changed on the titanium interior. The brick interior still comes with black carpet.
  • stagestage Member Posts: 12
    I am looking at an 08 Acadia slt2 with leather seats. Does anyone have the front seat dimensions? I would like to compare with my current auto. Thanks for the help.
  • max63max63 Member Posts: 76
    F Headroom: 40.4
    R Headroom: 39.3
    F Shoulder Room: 61.9
    Front Hip Room: 57.8
    Front Leg Room: 41.3
  • stagestage Member Posts: 12
    Is this the actual seat size? Thank you for the help.
  • winedogswinedogs Member Posts: 102
    No, that is the space between the seat and the variable.
  • pbradley303pbradley303 Member Posts: 1
    On our new 2008 Arcadia, I've run into trouble sending the DVD audio to the rear channels. This only happens on true dolby 5.1 DVDS. When playing a 5.1 DVD, and isolating audio to the rear channels, we loose most of the audio, only hearing what was tracked for the rear L/R for the surround sound. Does anyone know a way to force the DVD player into 2 channel mode? The only option I've found is to sort through the movies DVD audio options for a "non 5.1" mix. But most don't have that.

Thanks! :)
  • epvamanepvaman Member Posts: 1
    I am ready to place an order for SLT1 AWD, and wanted to know if present owners feel the above option is necessary for my wife to load groceries into the back. She is slight of built and not very strong.
    Are there any other must have options, or those that are not needed?
  • sboyd1sboyd1 Member Posts: 13
    I am not of slight build and decidedly masculine and I appreciate having the power lift gate. In addition to the physical act of raising the gate, it's kind of nice when it's raining to be able to start raising it on the way out to the car and then have a semi-dry area to stand in and load the groceries.

Other options I probably would have gotten if I'd ordered the car from the factory are power side mirrors (my garage is pretty tight) and park assist (that rear window is *high*). SLT1 package offered everything else I needed, and frankly, nothing I didn't.
  • christenschristens Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am very interested in the Acadia or Enclave...I have driven the Acadia the most because of the proximity of the dealer. The ONLY deal-breaker for me thus far is that with the factory-installed DVD player down it really reduces visibility for me to the extent I'm not comfortable. Dealer tells me there is no other GMC option. My kids are (pausing to hang head in shame) quite hooked on the DVD and I'm not interested in withdrawels at this point. Any feedback on this issue would be appreciated...I'm not keen on having a 3rd party dealer install one but would if I had to.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Almost all of the Headrest screen units are aftermarket. There are some very reasonable ones out there on the internet, that come in self-contained replacement headrests, that you simply plug into power, each other if you want the same thing on multiple screens, and they match your upholstery amazingly well.

Beyond that however, I have no good alternatives for you. Surprised somebody from the Anti-Cell-Phone while driving lobby hasn't outlawed these DVD things already anyway.... They're way too convenient and useful and make traveling too easy on the driver - having the kids entertained and all.... Can't have that.... :sick:
    That is a valid point. It does diminish the view out of the rear view mirror. One consideration is if you buy the factory DVD WITHOUT the factory sunroofs installed, the player mounts higher up since the interior roof line is higher without the sunroofs. If that doesn't work for you, you may have to settle for the aftermarket installed in the headrests.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to talk to owners who uses parking sensors or park assist in their vehicles to assist them in parking. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than August 29, 2007 with your daytime contact information

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mama2girlsmama2girls Member Posts: 5
    I just wanted to jump in and say we have the exact same hang up. We are pretty much sold on the Acadia and promised the kidlets the DVD in the next car. We did some investigating on our own because we knew the visavility was an issue. We have driven a Lambda with a DVD and sunroof and depending on the driver (I am 5'3", husband is 5'11") it obscured 1/3 to 1/2 of the view out the rear window. This was not acceptable to my husband as he said he is not buying a $36,000 blind spot. The other vehicle we are still considering (but just barely) is an Odyssey. The DVD screen in the van does not block the view at all.

But we are going tomorrow to the GMC dealer to check it out. We drove by last night and they had, side by side, a factory DVD w sunroof and a factory DVD without a sunroof. The dealer was closed so we couldn't get inside but it was at least a 2" visable difference in the "drop down" of the DVD unit which would go a long way to obscuring the view.

It has been hard to find a factory DVD without a sunroof to check out. But, we don't want a sunroof for other reasons besides the lower DVD placement ($$, sun issues,)

Good luck and I hope you find one to try that works for you.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    For zero rear vision impairment you can always opt for the dealer installed headrest DVD players and get one in each front seat headrest.
    We have thought this thru a lot. Headrest option is not ideal for us for many reasons. these are our reasons - headrest DVD may be fine for some.

- I want parental control from the front unit, not control at the headrest unit.
    - I will most likely have little ones in carseats in the second row and bigger kiddos in the 3rd - it is hard to see the headrests from the 3rd row.
    - I cannot have bigger kids getting up and having to move around the car to change DVD's
    - Don't suggest adding headrest dvd's to the 2nd row - those headrests are not removable and I will not cut up my car.
    - It is not tied to the surround sound system - we would not always be using headphones.
    - The headrest units that replace the headrest are a little larger than the factory headrest

Others have suggested just using portables and saving $1000 and getting the girls each their own portable. We have tried that - thanks to my husband's genes, they get carsick easily - especially with the jostling of a portable DVD. They have never been sick while watching an overhead DVD unit.

This has been a tough decision and is holding up the purchase of the new Acadia until we have all things resolved.
  • max63max63 Member Posts: 76
    We have had our Acadia for about a month and we love it for our family. Now we only let the kids watch the DVD on trips over 45 minutes, so this is not a constant issue. However, if you take the time to look over your shoulder you will get use to the DVD hanging down. This truck is much longer than our previous XC90 but now I can't tell the difference. I would not let this be a deal breaker, but to each his own. Good luck!
    All makes sense. Have you considered the new 2008 Chrysler vans? They have two roof mounted DVD screens, one for 2nd row and one for 3rd row. They can be independent or the same programming, and you have the option of Sirius satellite streaming video to boot. Reviews have been good on them as well. Just a thought.
  • bobfishbobfish Member Posts: 48
    Have owned our Acadia since March,love everything about it except in the way the transmission shifts.I am considering trading it in next year for that reason alone.I also own a 2006 Corvette with the six speed automatic and that shifts much nicer than the Acadia.The Acadia seems to be always searching for the right gear to be in.I can`t understand why GM could`nt make this transmission as smooth as the one in the Corvette?
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    A transmission reflash just came out if you have a 2008 Acadia. If you have a 2007 model, the reflash should be out before the end of the year. I would wait until you have the reflash applied before making up your mind. There are people that have driven Enclaves with the new reflash, and they like the responsiveness better.

But to your point, the transmission weakness is the main reason I have not bought the Acadia. My wife and I both noticed issues during our test drives, so I'm waiting until I can drive a fresh 2008. Unfortunately the car was geared for mpg, not for sporty driving, and there's not much GM can do without altering the EPA mpg rating, imo. Maybe cylinder deactivation, or even a mild hybrid, would help.
    OK - we DID check out the visibility with the DVD without the sunroofs - it makes a big difference. My husband agreed that it was acceptable. It barely covered the rear window at all.

Now, someone else mentioned the new Chrysler vans. Fist, thanks for the idea about 2 DVD's. Quest can do that too, I think. But about the Chrysler, I do not find it attractive from the pictures I have seen. Too square at the front. I have to love looking at a car first to want to try it. Kind of reminds me of the older Chrysler vans from when my parents got an 88 Voyager.

And, we would really rather not get a van. But if we get a van, it will be an Odyssey.
  • amlc70amlc70 Member Posts: 1
    I just placed my order for the Acadia after debating all summer. One question I have that I haven't had clearly answered - When the kids are watching a DVD, it sounds like you cannot listen to a CD because they use the same space to go in - can you still listen to the radio if the kids use the headset things? And for those of you with more than two kids, did you buy an extra set of headphones? I've never had DVD in car before.

Thanks!
    You are correct that if the factory DVD system is playing back a DVD, you cannot listen to a CD as the factory system is a single disc player and shares the DVD and CD slot. You CAN listen to radio, XM, or Ipod in Aux input.
  • remerson1remerson1 Member Posts: 4
    Could anyone tell me if the new 2008 SLE carbon metallic black is REALLY Metallic BLACK or a gunmetal gray/black? Also on the Titanium Interior, is the carpet black or is it light or medium gray? I can't seem to get this answer from the dealership and you can't tell very good from pictures on the net. Thanks!
    I would describe it a charcoal or carbon black metallic. There is no notable gunmetal gray in it. If you have ever seen the 2007 Carbon metallic, the 2008 Carbon Black metallic is more black.
    On the 2008's, the carpet is light titanium (gray) throughout. The 2007's had black carpet with the titanium interior, but not the 2008's.
    That's the problem...I have never seen this color on the 2007 or 2008. Guess I could see if the dealer could get a sample color, the brochures just don't do it justice either. Glad to hear about the 2008 gray carpet, was NOT wanting black carpet!
    Just curious...where do you live that you have not been able to see one in that color? I'll be there are 25-30 here where I live in metro Atlanta alone. It's a great looking color -
    I wish I could see just 1 of those 30! Try living in North Central Kansas where there are 3 driving around, 2 of them in Liquid Silver and 1 in White. Have been to other dealers up to 250 miles and have yet to see a black one! I'm close to ordering one but really want it to be Black/Black.
    There is a Black one with the light grey interior in Chanute, KS, near where I live.
  • ajclayajclay Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 Acadia. Has anyone found an aftermarket fix which will allow you to access the navigation functions while driving? Most of the options turn off above 5 MPH which has been pretty frustrating. I also received a Nav Disc dated 2005 GM # 10396714, I know there is a 2008 avail through GM. I thought the vehicle came with the most up to date disc. Any one out there have similiar issues?
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    There is an aftermarket fix, and there are new discs that came in. This was discussed at length in another forum.

Click here for NAV discs discussion (sticky at top of thread)

Click here for lockpick discussion (unlocking the NAV system while driving)
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    I'm considering leasing an Acadia when my current lease is up in December. The dealers here have everything loaded on the vehicle including things I don't necessarily want such as a sunroof.

Can I custom-order an Acadia and then lease it?
    yes, you can unlock all of the navigation items when the car is moving. Check out the acadia forum link and look at the posts from Sept 25 with pics of how to install and where to buy.
    http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=197.0
  • sloewy60sloewy60 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, some dealers may say other wise but bottom line is they want to sell cars. Doesn't matter if it is leaser or purchase. If one dealer frowns, another will welcome you with open arms.
    The only trap you have to watch out for is that the lease programs change at least once per month, so the program in place when you order may very well be different than the lease program that is in effect when the car actually arrives at the dealership. The danger is that if you custom order the car and the lease program is not what you want when it arrives, then what do you do? If it is a popular model, then the dealer will likely let you out of the committment to lease. If not, you could be stuck. In my recent lease shopping, I found that deals can vary from one month to the next to the tune of several hundred dollars per month in lease payments. The dealers are just as confounded by the ever changing deals as the consumers are. In September, the deals changed on a weekly basis for one model I was looking at! I ran out of time trying to find the car I wanted and now the same car is well over $200 per month more to lease. Very frustrating to say the least.
  • hotch41hotch41 Member Posts: 61
    I'm on the verge of buying my first domestic vehicle and it's between the Acadia and Enclave. I've driven both and I'm impressed that the Buick has the 4yr/50K warranty vs. the GMC's 3yr/36k warranty. My question is, and I've done so much research, and it seems like most of the reviews favor the Buick Enclave for it's fit and finish, are there any major difference in build quality between the two? Also my insurance would be very slightly lower with Enclave vs. Acadia. For example, I did see a Carbon Flash (Black) at a dealer and the hood didn't appear flush with the grille. It may seem petty, but if one is considering a $44K vehicle you'd like to see fit and finish as first-rate as possible. I really don't want to purchase an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty but may need to for peace of mind. Have any of you bought one? Any feedback would be appreciated. This next vehicle has to last me for many years!
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Look for discounted warranties. gmoutlet dot com is one GM dealer that sells discounted GMPP service plans. They have a listing that show the cost and retail on the different plans. One benefit in most cases, if you buy the plan from an out of state dealer, then you can avoid paying sales tax. The Envlace looks to be a little less for the extended GMPP warranty, I guess due to the longer original factory warranty. You can go up to at least 72 months and 100K miles for the GMPP...maybe even a little more. A note on their pricing page indicates that the coverage starts on the day and mileage purchased, not the original in service date. So, if you wait and purchase a 72 month 100K package after 10 months and 10K miles, you are covered until month 82 and/or 110K miles.

The Saturn Outlook is the least expensive base model. Then the Acadia and next the Enclave. Pricing seems to be about the same for the 3 equiped the same. So, Buick is competitive once you get past the base models. The Enclave does come with a longer warranty and I think it has more sound proofing and is said to be quiter.
  • krmstatekrmstate Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at buying a 2008 Acadia very soon. I have a few questions. First of all as far as colors I really like the Red Jewel Tintcoat and am very curious about the new Dark Crimson Metallic. Has anyone seen these in person? All of the ones here seem to be in white or silver. I am leaning towards silver just to be safe because I have seen it. But I would love to have a different color.

Also does anyone have the console for the second row? I was just wondering if it is removable for when you need the room to haul bigger items.
    Thanks in advance. I am so excited because it seems like such a nice vehicle. I currently own a 2003 Trailblazer.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter seeks to talk with intended owners of the 2007 or 2008 GMC Acadia who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, November 15, 2007 and include your city and state of residence as well as the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ymchnymchn Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 2008 SLE and today I found a square piece of the floor between the 1st and 2nd rows (left side, right in front of the bench seat) is actually hollow and covered by a carpet like material. All other part of the floor is hard plastic. So when I step on this square part, I feel the floor is soft. Does anyone know what this is? Is there anything hidden under the floor?
  • sidewinder101sidewinder101 Member Posts: 6
    My red jewel tintcoat Acadia is beautiful in that the red color turns to a different brighter shade when hit by bright sunshine, as opposed to little or no sun. The dark crimson metallic is also a hot color (I must say more unique than my red one). They're both excellent choices, and you can't go wrong w/ either one.

I was gonna get the 2nd console but found that it hinders legroom for the 3rd row pax sitting in the middle...if this is not an issue, it might be something to consider.

I did trade in my German vehicle for the Acadia...the former had several reliability issues and am very satisfied with my GMC.
  • saudi_princesaudi_prince Member Posts: 9
    I'm trying to decide between an 08 Acadia or a Mazda CX-9. I've test driven both and enjoy the ride of both (although the Mazda has slightly better acceleration).

My concern with the Acadia after reading this forum is the seemingly high number of problems people have been having with the Acadia (temperature sensors, transmissions, engine problems, etc.). I really would like to think that Americans are still capable of making high quality vehicles and competing in the global economy but I am thinking that maybe I'd be better off buying the Mazda (which is majority owned by Ford anyway). Another motivating factor is GM's refusal to offer any sort of enticing incentive on the Acadia. Mazda is offering reduced financing and all I can get from GM is a paltry $500 rebate.

Any one interested in trying to convince me that the Acadia is the better choice?